• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official: Dead Space 2 Collector's Edition, Has Replica Plasma Cutter

MrPliskin

Banned
Commanche Raisin Toast said:
ANYONE PREORDERING AT GAMESTOP IN PERSON: make sure the guy at the register knows that you are supposed to get an Ignition voucher at the time of preordering it. the guy i got mine from tonight told me that it was at the time of PURCHASE. got back to work and saw that he was incorrect. it was actually supposed to be on my receipt but it's not. now i have to go back tomorrow.

hopefully they would be for purchase from the visceral store, and made in higher quantities than those backpacks that lasted a whole 5 seconds. :p

i'd pay upwards of $80 for a full scale sized line gun with blue LEDs and the ability to expand/contract the horizontal width of the front end, ala the various levels offered by upgrades. a full-sized plasma cutter Move attachment would be killer to! :D
This doesn't make sense as people could just pre-order and then cancel...

I'm thinking it's supposed to be at the time of purchase.

Nizz

I'm the type of guy who never gets collector's editions ever but I'll be damned if this one for DS2 isn't tempting me. It's the plasma cutter replica :D

purple cobra said:
I'm the type of guy who never gets collector's editions ever but I'll be damned if this one for DS2 isn't tempting me. It's the plasma cutter replica :D

FYI - it's not actually full-size so you can't throw it on your wall next to your lancer and Halo lazer-tag set ;)

One of the devs posted here and confirmed it's miniaturized. Like 5 or 7 inches.

That's what she said.

Nizz

Team Klimt said:
FYI - it's not actually full-size so you can't throw it on your wall next to your lancer and Halo lazer-tag set ;)

One of the devs posted here and confirmed it's miniaturized. Like 5 or 7 inches.

That's what she said.
Ohhh. It still looks nice though. ;)
that's what she said. ;)

Monkey Pants

Outpost Games Creative Director
Nirolak said:
Oh hey, on that topic, did you have any extra comments on this? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=410124

I was curious if you could share what teams you had absorbed or anything else interesting. Judging by the article and locations, I'm assuming Visceral now includes the Army of Two team, the C&C team, the Mercs Inc team (if that still exists), and perhaps some more?

Also, since I notice that Visceral seems to have held a press showing at NYCC, and I'm assuming it wasn't just to talk about your studio restructure, you wouldn't happen to be able to indicate when what you showed off is going to be revealed, would you? :p

I totally understand if you can't answer either question though.

Teams aren't as walled off as you're describing. There's definitely a core group, usually, but entire teams rarely stay together project to project. So those franchises you mentioned all fall under Visceral now, yeah, but people who contributed to some might be on others, new people come on, etc.

As for the NYC event, I don't know if there was any embargo on the coverage there. Most of what was showed was updated/deeper looks at stuff we've already announced.

As for Dead Space 2, debuting multiplayer is the big deal right now, but you'll see new single player stuff in the months ahead, probably once the big Oct/Nov releases have their day.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Monkey Pants said:
Teams aren't as walled off as you're describing. There's definitely a core group, usually, but entire teams rarely stay together project to project. So those franchises you mentioned all fall under Visceral now, yeah, but people who contributed to some might be on others, new people come on, etc.

As for the NYC event, I don't know if there was any embargo on the coverage there. Most of what was showed was updated/deeper looks at stuff we've already announced.

As for Dead Space 2, debuting multiplayer is the big deal right now, but you'll see new single player stuff in the months ahead, probably once the big Oct/Nov releases have their day.
Ah, I see, so you're taking a very Valve like structure.

This would also explain why Dead Space 2 was listed as being in pre-production for a year.

Thanks for the information. I'm glad you could share.

Monkey Pants

Nirolak said:
This would also explain why Dead Space 2 was listed as being in pre-production for year.

It pretty much was. A core group of us starting talking about it and doing early work in September '08, a month before Dead Space 1 came out. We spent most of '09 as a smaller team, working on new features, story, concept art, etc. Then we went full production again in late '09.

MrPliskin said:
This doesn't make sense as people could just pre-order and then cancel...

I'm thinking it's supposed to be at the time of purchase.

they've done this with most of their preorder goodies since forever. im sure they're aware of the flaw in their setup. pretty much any DLC codes they give at the time of preorder can be redeemed and then the preorder canned.

i went back and got my receipt re-printed today and it had the code. they said the guy last night didn't know about it. im lucky my apartment neighbor is the manager. :D

LiK

Monkey Pants said:

i just wanna curb stomp more Necros ;)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Monkey Pants said:
It pretty much was. A core group of us starting talking about it and doing early work in September '08, a month before Dead Space 1 came out. We spent most of '09 as a smaller team, working on new features, story, concept art, etc. Then we went full production again in late '09.
Yeah, sorry, I didn't mean to imply it wasn't. Given the team structure that makes perfect sense since I'm guessing the majority of the studio was on Dante's Inferno until then.

I didn't want to make a new thread just for this, and this is the most recent DS thread, I think.

Here are images of the two new DS figures coming from NECA. One is Isaac, and one is a Necromorph:

deadspace-action-figures-01.jpg

deadspace-action-figures.jpg

I hope they fix Isaac's helmet a bit. The first NECA Isaac figure let you light up his visor and holo bar on the back, which was a neat touch. Also, the figure's surface seems very flat... hope they add some texture in there.

I still have my DS1 figure guarding my desk.

This seems the most relevant topic to ask, has anyone preordered dead space from game or gamestation in the uk and got the ignition code?

I contacted them yesterday and they emailed me back today saying I wouldn't get the code till release week (which is obviously a long time away...)

Monkey Pants

We shot a little Halloween teaser that came out yesterday...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/video/video.php?v=452370004243

More stuff coming soon....

Ihya

Monkey Pants said:

Hah, awesome!

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Monkey Pants said:

Between this and Medal of Honor EA seems to be returning to live action videos. :lol

Now all we need is the return of Wing Commander.

That plasma cutter is AWESOME. Yeah, so glad I have this pre-ordered. Wish they had release date delivery for it on Amazon, though. *sigh*

Bumping again with the same question:

Did anyone in the Uk preorder this and get the free ignition code?

I haven't so I emailed them and they replied that I wouldn't get the code till the week of the game release in January (which is odd as they have never done this kind of thing before)

hermit7

_dementia said:
plazma cutter doesn't look regulation size to me :/

Ya it looks a little disappointing. I do like the other contents of the Collectors edition though, so I think that I will pick it up still.

Minamu

I agree, I just wanted to make that lame joke. On the other hand, with taxes and a different currency, I'll probably end up paying around 104 dollars. For the game-only version. Think about that :S

RavenFox

Banned
lastinline said:
That plasma cutter is AWESOME. Yeah, so glad I have this pre-ordered. Wish they had release date delivery for it on Amazon, though. *sigh*
Don't stress it. The game is a way off and Amazon usually put release date delivery on high profile games close to release.

For anyone interested, here's a good audio interview/podcast with Ian Milham/Monkey Pants at Gamespot:

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/217107/gamepro-culture-club-dead-space-and-dead-bodies/

Interesting to listen to.

Edit: I'm still listening to it, but here's a part I really like: Comparing Isaac to Nathan Drake when it comes to speaking, he mentions that the player and the protagonist should be of one mind (For instance, Drake would question what's happening around him in the same way a player would). I loved that in Uncharted, and it sounds good to me here, creating that bond between the player and the character. Milham explains better in the interview, so give it a listen if you have the time.

Edit 2: Also, Milham mentions that obviously Uncharted's story is completely different, but it's a good comparison as to the approach to protagonist voicing.

Minamu said:
Any way to get a direct link?

Sorry, dunno about that. Can't stream it from the site?

Papoutsis just tweeted this:

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/today-on-the-spot/?event=today_on_the_spot20101030

There's a gameplay demo (an extended version) of the one from GamesCom, with Isaac aligning the Solar Array, making a HALO jump, landing, and then kicking some ass before being (violently and humiliatingly) killed. Humiliating cause it's so gross, not just cause he died.

But the real awesome bit? Saturn!

Dead Space 2 begins at 11:38, when Papoutsis shows up at a mysterious cabin in the woods.

Monkey Pants

NotTheGuyYouKill said:
For anyone interested, here's a good audio interview/podcast with Ian Milham/Monkey Pants at Gamespot:

http://www.gamepro.com/article/news/217107/gamepro-culture-club-dead-space-and-dead-bodies/

Interesting to listen to.

Edit: I'm still listening to it, but here's a part I really like: Comparing Isaac to Nathan Drake when it comes to speaking, he mentions that the player and the protagonist should be of one mind (For instance, Drake would question what's happening around him in the same way a player would). I loved that in Uncharted, and it sounds good to me here, creating that bond between the player and the character. Milham explains better in the interview, so give it a listen if you have the time.

Edit 2: Also, Milham mentions that obviously Uncharted's story is completely different, but it's a good comparison as to the approach to protagonist voicing.

Thanks! To be clear, Isaac isn't going to be cracking wise or remarking on his environment the way Drake does (at least with that kind of regularity), as it kind of ruins the mood we're going for. I was using Uncharted though as an example of creating a bond between player and character through smart storytelling.

Draft

It's a bummer that Isaac is no longer silent. Silent protagonists are the best. Start making a short lists of all time classic games. See how many of them have heroes that say nothing but the odd grunt or yell.

Monkey Pants

Draft said:
It's a bummer that Isaac is no longer silent. Silent protagonists are the best. Start making a short lists of all time classic games. See how many of them have heroes that say nothing but the odd grunt or yell.

Uh..okay. What's your list? How many of them are third person?

Draft

Monkey Pants said:
Uh..okay. What's your list? How many of them are third person?
Well I don't want to go list war, I was just saying. Off the top of my head the 3D Zeldas, arguably precursor to modern 3rd person gaming, have silent protagonists. My personal GOAT is filled with silent protagonists. Chrono Trigger, System Shock 2, Super Metroid/Metroid Prime, Half Life 1/2, Portal, Demon's Souls isn't a lock on the list yet but it's getting there, and of course, Dead Space.

I have an active imagination. I am better suited to games that creates mood and atmosphere than one that serves up the narrative. Isaac Clarke already has a voice, and an attitude and all of that shit. It's in my head.

I personally love the fact that Isaac has a voice now. For this kind of game, this kind of narrative, having a silent protagonist, I think, is far less effective then one who has personality that you can sympathize with. I mean, in the first game, unless you went and read all of Isaac's journals, Isaac doesn't show much personality (only near the end). Simply being the errand boy or just the guy whose gotta rescue the princess isn't very endearing to me.

For the most part (certain games like Half Life/Bioshock/Portal excluded), I don't think that silent protagonists really work well in narrative driven games.

Besides, from what I've heard so far, Isaac has a really good voice actor, so that always helps :lol

Monkey Pants

Draft said:
I have an active imagination. I am better suited to games that creates mood and atmosphere than one that serves up the narrative. Isaac Clarke already has a voice, and an attitude and all of that shit. It's in my head.

All fair points, and pretty much exactly why we went silent protagonist in the first game. But it had a few side effects (like Isaac feeling like an errand boy because he never talked back to people, keeping an emotional cap on the story, him seeming stoic because you could see him not reacting, etc.) that we thought were not working, especially given the bigger story we wanted to tell.

That last one is the real biggee. FPS works much better for a silent protagonist because you don't actually SEE him not reacting when you think he should.

Minamu

It's all down to preference of course, but I definitely prefer characters that talk. I have very little interest in infusing characters with my own personality. I want them to be themselves, and not me. Most people seem to hate Prey for having a too talkative main character but it was the most awesome part of the entire game, imho. First or third person, makes no difference to me (cue Sum 41), I am myself in real life. No need for other people's characters to be me as well when I play.

Top Bottom