• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Fable II Thread

Baker

Banned
xbhaskarx said:
Can you spoiler what the "certain choice" that leads to the shocking outcome (not the outcome itself) is?

Certain Choice:
Give Alex the rejection letter

Outcome (I know you didn't ask):
When you return to the ghost for your reward, you find Alex as a spirit too. She went and killed herself because you were such a meanie.

how do I get people to stop following me in barrowstone? I banged this barmaid and wake up to see 4 random women wanting to get hitched in my house. what the fuck.

Poona

Linkzg said:
how do I get people to stop following me in barrowstone? I banged this barmaid and wake up to see 4 random women wanting to get hitched in my house. what the fuck.

Isn't there a dismiss emotion? Try that.

Baker

Banned
Linkzg said:

Kill them?

Random bitchiness: I've also had two bugs that would only fix themselves with a game reset. Within the first 5 minutes of being an adult, it would not stop targeting this random kid in the gypsy camp. I was completely on the other side of the map and no matter how many times I hit LT or targeted something else, that text would always stay on top.

Another time, I was dancing in a town and after the meter went away, this two inch crescent moon shape was just stuck in the middle of my screen. It was still there even after a CG cutscene played.

Other minor ones have just been run-of-the-mill stuff like the dog getting stuck in a box or mobs respawning way after they should have been triggered.

I was pretty 'meh' during about the first four hours of this game, but after everything started clicking and I found the pure joy of the
Shadow Cult
, I am absolutely in love. I turned off the trail crap within the first five seconds of the game, so it's really fun just discovering everything on my own.

Poona said:
Isn't there a dismiss emotion? Try that.

I'm pretty sure that only works for people you marked to follow you.

ShinAmano

I have taught my dog multiple tricks, but only praise, hurt and fetch pop up...how do I do the new tricks that I have trained him to do?

Jirotrom

ShinAmano said:
I have taught my dog multiple tricks, but only praise, hurt and fetch pop up...how do I do the new tricks that I have trained him to do?
the dog often copies your tricks, so if its not in its options its in the Hero's.

Dunlop

Jirotrom said:
I havent played an rpg and been this addicted since DQVIII....shiiiiiiit.

I've only gotten back to the first town and spent an hour lvling my blacksmithing to get funds for my bar purchase (I did not have pub games).

.....yet here I am thinking about the game and anxious to play it tonight

it has been a long time since any game has done that (and I own a shitload of games...)

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Trax416 said:
They probably had tons of money because of the pub game glitch.

I didn't play pub games, had no money, and have struggled to buy any property while keeping my weapons up to par.

Yeah I havnt been able to get laid because I'm too broke to get a house, I just gave up and killed the chicks following me...was trying to be a good character but I failed.

Having lots of fun though lol

Baker

Banned
ShinAmano said:

Yeah, read the book text before you train him.

For example, the
bunny hop
is triggered when you do fist pump or a couple other ones.
Bury nose
(or whatever it's called) happens when you fart.

Wizman23

Banned
Can someone please elaborate on the spell system and how it works with different levels of spells. If I'm never going to put "Fire" in my fifth/last spell spot that charges the longest to level 5 is it pointless for me to upgrade it level 5 or does it act as a level 5 spell even if its in your first slot that you dont need to charge?

ChrisGoldstein said:
Yeah I havnt been able to get laid because I'm too broke to get a house, I just gave up and killed the chicks following me...was trying to be a good character but I failed.

You have a house from the very beginning. Well..a wagon. I've already tapped two of those gypsy girls. The bitches line up outside of my wagon.

The problem is that they won't stop following me. Where do you find the "Get to steppin' " disposition?

ShinAmano

Baker said:
Yeah, read the book text before you train him.

For example, the
bunny hop
is triggered when you do fist pump or a couple other ones.
Bury nose
(or whatever it's called) happens when you fart.
Hmmm...can I re-read the books?

Jirotrom

ChrisGoldstein said:

there is one badass house you get for free... i'll let you find it:D

Speevy

Banned
Dark Octave said:
:lol Good cause if it's anything like the first one, you've got about three more to go before finishing it.

Also, I heard someone say (Speevy I believe) they got married, had a kid, and cheated on her in the first hour of the game. That sounds horribly rushed for any game, not just an RPG.

/fablehate.

Getting married is not part of your storyline requirement as far as I can tell. You can do it as many times as you like. So I got married, had a kid, cheated on my wife, then killed her.

I'll probably repeat the same sequence many times before the game is over.

HiResDes

Cornballer said:
What spells have people been using? Anything good worth leveling up? I just started playing, so I only have force push at the moment.
I don't know if it still exists but Assassin's Rush was essential in the last game.

Jirotrom

Wizman23 said:
Can someone please elaborate on the spell system and how it works with different levels of spells. If I'm never going to put "Fire" in my fifth/last spell spot that charges the longest to level 5 is it pointless for me to upgrade it level 5 or does it act as a level 5 spell even if its in your first slot that you dont need to charge?
you have to charge... risk reward.

purg3

slept with Malkin
Cornballer said:
What spells have people been using? Anything good worth leveling up? I just started playing, so I only have force push at the moment.

I have fireball at lvl 3, shock? at lvl 2, and the slow time at 2. Also have blades and something else at 1. I use the slow time the most along with fireball. But my guy is more focused on melee.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Cornballer said:

I just started and picked Blades. It's pretty sweet but I think I might go force push next, instead of leveling up Blades.

What are the 8 spells again?

DangerStepp

bigdaddygamebot said:
You have a house from the very beginning. Well..a wagon. I've already tapped two of those gypsy girls. The bitches line up outside of my wagon.

The problem is that they won't stop following me. Where do you find the "Get to steppin' " disposition?

:lol :lol

Edit: Where are the Inns? I can't seem to find one in the first couple of towns.

Wizman23

Banned
Cornballer said:

As of now I have Fire in my first slot and Shock in slot 2 to charge up. I have a few more spells bought but those seem to be the money spells early in the game. I havent seen much use for the ranged weapons though I just mix it up with magic and melee.......and its Oh so fun!:D

jon bones said:
What are the 8 spells again?
IGN said:
Shock: Damages enemies with an electrical blast. The area effect attack sends a wave of electricity. The more powerful versions of shock can leave enemies convulsing for several seconds. Do enough damage and all that is left is a smoldering skeleton.

Inferno: Play with fire with either a single fireball thrown at an enemy or by creating a ring of fire to burn multiple enemies. The environment won't catch fire, but enemies will.

Time Control: The targeted and area effect versions of this power are vastly different. Targeting an enemy and using time control lets you dash behind them, leaving your opponent open for a strike. If you don't target an enemy, Time Control slows time for everyone around you. This is one of the most useful spells in your grimoire. The higher the level, the longer and more pronounced the effect.

Blades: Calls forth mystical blades to cut through your enemy. This is especially useful for targets running away, as the blades will track them down.

Vortex: Creates a powerful whirlwind that snatches up enemies and tosses them about. You'll do greater damage by targeting a single enemy, but it's more fun to send a whole room flying about.

Chaos: Summons the Mask of Madness to befuddle enemies. Confused enemies may attack their friend or even drop to scrub the floor (gotta get those bloodstains out). Targeted attacks extend the effect.

Force Push:
Use an area effect attack to create a wall of energy around you, pushing back all nearby foes and giving you some breathing room. Or target a single enemy to knock them back. This is very useful when fighting near cliffs and ledges.

Raise Dead:
Call forth the dead to fight as your allies. If cast near recently killed enemies, their spirits will rise to fight for you. Otherwise you get some less-impressive spirits. Use this spell when battling Balverines to even the playing field. Though this seems like a dark art, you don't become corrupt or evil by using this spell.
I think I'll probably end up using something with a bit of offensive power (blades, inferno, or shock) along with time control and a little bit of force push for clearing space when I need it.

Flyguy

Cornballer said:

Time Control is very useful, even as a level one spell. You can cast it once at the beginning of an encounter and it makes melee much easier. You can cast it as an area spell, and then focus it and it acts as a teleport spell, placing you right behind your intended target. Level 5 Inferno is godly. Huge area of affect, and it will kill almost all the beasties in one shot. It takes some time to charge it, but if you cast Time beforehand you can buy yourself some time, heh. My tactic is to run to the middle of a group, cast level 1 Time Control, and charge my Inferno to level 5. Massive Damage.

Edit: You also get huge amounts of Will orbs and XP orbs doing this, so much so that I don't think it will be that hard to level every spell to 5 before the end of the game.

Dunlop

can you unlearn spells (re-spec?)

I took shock actually by accident trying to figure what I could purchase.

not a deal breaker, but would be nice.

soco

Dunlop said:

you can respec. if you go into the skills/spell/etc menu it tells you how much XP you get back and i think the button is Y. i think you only get back like 75% of the XP you spent though.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I'm at a treasure chest right after you get your first chance to get abilities. The chest tells me to "go to www.fable2.com to gain access to gold and items your heroic ancestors left behind".
Is this actually worth it? I'm trying to watch this choose your own adventure video online and it has locked up twice now. And it's not a short video. I would SO rather be playing the game right now.

Zzoram

Dunlop said:

I read somewhere you could, but you'd lose half your experience or something.

Flyguy

Dunlop said:

Yes, you can. You'll get half the experience back if you unlearn a spell or level of it. I think you just press the Y button under the spell abilities tab.

DangerStepp

Truelize said:
I'm at a treasure chest right after you get your first chance to get abilities. The chest tells me to "go to www.fable2.com to gain access to gold and items your heroic ancestors left behind".
Is this actually worth it? I'm trying to watch this choose your own adventure video online and it has locked up twice now. And it's not a short video. I would SO rather be playing the game right now.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that chest would contain the special LE Spartan armor and sword? I'm not 100% on that, though.

Dunlop

soco said:
you can respec. if you go into the skills/spell/etc menu it tells you how much XP you get back and i think the button is Y. i think you only get back like 75% of the XP you spent though.

Thanks,

I imagine it is not too costly to just buy all the lvl 1 versions anyways. More when you go deeper down the tree.

Forgot I also had purchased lvl 1 vortex but didn't seem to do much

Seth C

glaurung said:
I think you can play all the sidequests after finishing the main campaign.

Definitely not all of them. Some of the sidequests (one I can think of for certain) are designed to progress along with the story.

UltimaPooh said:
I like this feature. Sure it shows you the exact way to go, but you don't have to go on to the storyline if you don't want to. You can go explore and do other things and when you feel it's time you can take the trail.

As others have been saying it's also a good indication on where to explore. If there are two paths and the trail goes to the left, you can go to the right because you know there will be stuff in there to explore.

Exactly. It works if you think of it the way it was intended, as a bread crumb trail. It shouldn't always be followed. It shouldn't be "go this way to beat the game!" It is there exclusively so that when you are done exploring, when you are done getting lost, you can find your way back to the right path.

xbhaskarx said:
Question: when an enemy dies from falling off a cliff, do you still get the same amount of experience?

I can't say for certain, but you probably get more actually. There are bonuses for how quickly you finish off enemies, and that is one of the quickest ways.

xbhaskarx said:
I really want to buy the buildings that can't be bought, for example the mill in Oakfield.

The mill is included as part of the property of the house nearby. It says so in the description of that house. If you buy it, you own the mill as well.

Wizman23 said:
Magic Question:

Lets say we upgrade 5 spells all to level 5. Does each spell act as a level 5 spell no matter where you put them on the spell meter, or does does it only act as level 5 if its in the 5th spot which you have to hold "B" for the longest?

The meter progresses from level to level, so only the last one would be level 5. However, as you gain more spells the levels charge more quickly and lower level spells become more powerful. So, if you have maxed out 5 spells the lower level ones will be fairly powerful at that point.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
DangerStepp said:
I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that chest would contain the special LE Spartan armor and sword? I'm not 100% on that, though.

I guess it does if you bought the limited edition version. I got a face and body tattoo and a hero doll.
Is the Spartan Armour cool or just a dumb publisher tie-in?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I'm def going to respec out of Blades and go into Time Control / Force Push... maybe Summon Dead at some point. I love the idea of using magic as support + ranged weapons primarily.

This game rocks.

Truelize said:
I guess it does if you bought the limited edition version. I got a face and body tattoo and a hero doll.
Is the Spartan Armour cool or just a dumb publisher tie-in?
It looks cool IMO. The sword especially.

Flyguy

Does anyone know how many regions there are? I'm about 2/3 way through the main quest and I've done a lot of sidequests, and the world seems rather small.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
- Do you NEED to eat/sleep? Will I be harmed if I play several (in game) days and never do either?

- Has anyone come up with a firm answer for why you don't collect a huge sum of money after the game's been off several hours? If not, I think I know:

I was collecting ~370g per 5 minute tick, when I was playing. I turned the game off, and when I loaded it back up about an hour later, I collected 3700g. Then I turned it off for the NIGHT, but when I loaded it up this morning, about 8 hours later, I collected... 3700g.

It seems like your rent money collects in realtime when the game is off, but you can only collect a maximum of ~1 hour's worth.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I had a ton of fun with this last night. Seriously, here are my initial impressions.

First hour, im basically amazed by the graphics and looking at the pretty snow and being charmed by the humor and fantasy setting. Next couple of hours im exploring the first area and loving the more open ended nature of the game. Then i play some dungeons and im kinda becoming skeptical because the interior dungeon areas are not this games strong point. I take a road instantly to another town and i start to get a little worried that maybe the game isnt that big. Then upon more hours playing you start to realize how much more gigantic it is compared to the first fable and you love it all over again.

I read the manual just to see all the cool stuff to do and im determined to buy every building in the game and then rent them out at full discounts so that everyone is living in a blissful utopia. Id have to be insanely rich i imagine. I want to decorate everything also. I love how the economy works and all the bonuses you get from having a happy family and a house. They actually made use of all the extra filler that was in the first game.

Im contemplating getting the game guide just to have a document of all the stuff you can do, cause there is a lot. I know a game like Oblivion has a ton to do, but i think the big difference is the stuff in Fable is actually fun for the most part. There is humor in most of the side aspects of the game.

Seth C

ChrisGoldstein said:

Isn't the wagon on the far end of the gypsy camp yours? I believe that it is, from the beginning of the game. Trust me, you can bang chicks there. It can even be your marital home. Well, if you marry a gypsy. It is doubtful anyone else will be happy with it.

Wizman23 said:

If you are never going to use the level 5 variant of a spell then there is no specific reason you have to get it. Only the spell that is the last charge level will be a level 5 spell. However, leveling up spells in general triggers spells at all levels to become more powerful, so in that context the more spells you know, the more powerful your mage will be. He becomes more adept, basically.

Regardless, I suggest you get the fifth level fire spell. It is very powerful and will absolutely destroy the
undead
and be a huge help in one certain
arena
midway through the game.

ShinAmano said:
Hmmm...can I re-read the books?

Not the ones that you expend by using, unfortunately. They may have another copy at the bookstore though.

Top Bottom