• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Feb. 12th Primary Thread (Obama/McCain Beltway SWEEP SWEEP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheebs

I really doubt low-information voters think things out in as much depth to switch parties to hurt the candidate they don't like.

GhaleonEB

Cheebs said:
I really doubt low-information voters think things out in as much depth to switch parties to hurt the candidate they don't like.
People who do that are in the vast minority, I suspect. A non-factor, really.

Tomorrow should be a good day for Obama, and I'd love to see Huckabee win a contest or two, if for no other reason than to annoy McCain.

Eric WK

gcubed said:
well you got the meaning, you can correct me with the right term. There are other things going in Obama's favor with Texas, starting with the fact that the Republican race may be over (officially) by then.

Disillusioned or disenchanted are what I'm assuming you were trying to convey. Disenfranchised means they don't have the right to vote.

Tamanon

Banned
Eric WK said:
Disillusioned or disenchanted are what I'm assuming you were trying to convey. Disenfranchised means they don't have the right to vote.

Disenfranchised could also apply since it means they believe their vote doesn't count. In a decided race, that works.

Cheebs

The issue about Huckabee is, as CNN showed even if he won EVERY upcoming primary. Every single last one. By double digits too. McCain still gets the nomination. All this is doing is making the GOP base all the more confused.

gcubed

Tamanon said:
Disenfranchised could also apply since it means they believe their vote doesn't count. In a decided race, that works.

thanks for helping me look like less of an idiot... but yes, i meant disillusioned, thanks. Long nights and short days

GhaleonEB

Cheebs said:
The issue about Huckabee is, as CNN showed even if he won EVERY upcoming primary. Every single last one. By double digits too. McCain still gets the nomination. All this is doing is making the GOP base all the more confused.
I know. I find it kind of hilarious.

Texas seems like Huckabee land to me. Repubs may say they'll rebel by voting for Obama, but it seems like the huckster is more in tune with them

Eric WK

gcubed said:
thanks for helping look like less of an idiot... but yes, i meant disillusioned, thanks. Long nights and short days

Hehe. Wasn't trying to make you look like an idiot.

But yeah, Tamanon is right. :)

Tamanon

Banned
Cheebs said:

I think there might be something more there. Like trying to get the GOP to change from winner-take-all to proportional for the future.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
srsly

huckabeeprofile.jpg

:lol

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
http://www.nysun.com/article/71044

Clinton Is Bracing for a Last Stand
Falls Behind in Delegates, Replaces Aide

With Senator Clinton racking up a string of recent defeats in the Democratic presidential contest, her campaign manager is departing and being replaced by an aide who served as Mrs. Clinton's chief of staff during her years as first lady in the White House.

The installation of the campaign's new chief, Margaret Williams, and the departure of the former head, Patti Solis Doyle, came as Mrs. Clinton's rival for the nomination, Senator Obama of Illinois, yesterday swept caucuses in the state of Maine. Mr. Obama won 59% of the delegates to the state convention that will select national delegates, while Mrs. Clinton had 41%, with 91% of the precincts reporting. On Saturday, Mr. Obama also prevailed by healthy margins at caucuses in Nebraska, Louisiana, Washington, and the Virgin Islands.

Go Barack! Did anyone see her on 60 minutes last night? Katie Couric hass got to be the worst interviewer ever.

Cheebs

Cooter said:
http://www.nysun.com/article/71044

Clinton Is Bracing for a Last Stand
Falls Behind in Delegates, Replaces Aide

Go Barack! Did anyone see her on 60 minutes last night? Katie Couric hass got to be the worst interviewer ever.
Katie sucked up to Hillary way more than that guy did with Obama. Hillay got fluff questions about boys in high school and her dad, obama got grilled on Iraq.

Katie Couric needs to be taken off the air. Her last interview on 60 Minutes, with Condoleezza Rice, was right up there with her Hillary interview in terms of pure dogshit and vapidity.

Cheebs

Obama interviewer: *provides "proof" of the surge is working and then demands Obama to show why it is not*

Katie Couric: So Hillary...what kind of cute nicknames did the boys give you in high school?

That was basically how it went down.

harSon

Banned
Obama's starting to go into detail about his plans. He's been sprinkling his plans throughout his speeches and hosting sit ins a lot more frequently now. Hope he continues to ramp it up :)

Incognito said:
Katie Couric needs to be taken off the air. Her last interview on 60 Minutes, with Condoleezza Rice, was right up there with her Hillary interview in terms of pure dogshit and vapidity.

I caught the last few minutes of it, ie "teehee what did the boys call you in highschool?" She got a pass when she used to be semi cute; now she's ugly and needs to be taken off the air dammit

Texas is the most un-primary of primaries there is.

For one thing, there aren't any delegates awarded to the winner of the state -- no statewide bonus delegates, nothing. For another, a third of the delegates will be chosen through a complicated caucus system.

And instead of proportional allocation by congressional district, the rest of the delegates will be proportionally allocated by state senate districts. George W. Bush's '04 performance really changes the math. That's because the number of delegates allocated in those districts are based on how well (or poorly) John Kerry did, as well as the performance of the last Democratic gubernatorial candidate (who himself had votes taken away by a liberal third party challenger.)

The delegate-rich districts are the most heavily liberal state senate districts. According to this calculation, they're in Austin and in two of the most concentrated African American parts of the state. Advantage: Obama.

Clinton will get plenty of support from Latino voters, but they tend to be more spread out and thus will see their votes somewhat diluted in the 31 separate primaries. In order to "win" -- both enough delegates and statewide, you need to organize what amounts to caucus-like campaigns in each of these districts.

The white vote in Texas will probably split, with Obama taking men and Clinton taking women. Though Latinos make up a slightly larger share of the electorate than African Americans, they tend to vote in lower proportions.

The process has two steps. First, folks vote. 126 delegates will be accorded proportionally via state senate district. Then, when polls close, they caucus in more than 1,000 precincts.

At the caucus, attendees chose the identity of the delegate and the presidential candidate that the delegate is supposed to represent. These delegates are sent to a "senatorial convention" a few weeks later, during which the final math is worked out and the actual delegate slate for the convention is chosen.

67 delegates will be chosen this way.

Suffice it to say: whatever you call Texas's system -- a hybrid, a primacaucus, whatever -- do not assume that, because it's a big state and the media calls it a primary, the math favors Hillary Clinton.

Ambinder

Cheebs

I would love to see him win Texas but I see Ohio as much more winnable. He has shown he can win over the white blue collar vote far more easily than the hispanic.

Tamanon

Banned
By the way, it's not really a debate tonight in Virginia. It's two half-hour interviews back-to-back.

Clinton's will be live, it looks like Obama's will be recorded.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Dahellisdat said:
This makes me want the ice skater gif for the console races updated for democratic presidential nominees oh so badly.

Somebody make it so!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Rur0ni said:
New Virginia Polling:

SurveyUSA 2/11/08
Obama 60%
Clinton 38%
Other 2%
Undecided 1%

undecided number dropped like a rock.. and they all went to Obama. :lol

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Rur0ni said:
New Virginia Polling:

SurveyUSA 2/11/08
Obama 60%
Clinton 38%
Other 2%
Undecided 1%

Lefty vindicated. We'd have 650 replies if he was still around.

Call me crazy but I see Ohio, and Texas following this trend. March 4th could be game, set, match.

Rur0ni

Virginia Polling
SurveyUSA 2/11/08
Democrats:
60% Obama
38% Clinton
02% Other
01% Undecided

Republicans:
48% McCain
37% Huckabee
07% Paul
06% Other
02% Undecided

---

Added republican data also, to the OP. Huckster gaining ground, from 25% to 37%.

In Lefty We Trust.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Man, its going to be unbearable when Lefty comes back and brags non stop about being right. Despite the fact that he was right for all the wrong reasons

Cheebs

grandjedi6 said:
Man, its going to be unbearable when Lefty comes back and brags non stop about being right. Despite the fact that he was right for all the wrong reasons
He'll continue the claim she is out of cash. :lol

Cheebs

Does anyone know why the hell he was punching a punching bag on ellen? That one shot sent me over the edge in its randomness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom