• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official FF3 DS JPN/US thread

neo2046

ff31.JPG

ff32.JPG

ff33.JPG

ff34.JPG

ff39.JPG

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I kind of wish this was getting delayed...I have too much to play, and the marketing for this game is too much!

Jonnyram

Am I crazy for thinking this has a chance to reach insane numbers? Like the PS1 days almost... people at work are coming up to me and saying they like the look of this and are thinking of buying it. It's crazy.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Jonnyram said:
Am I crazy for thinking this has a chance to reach insane numbers? Like the PS1 days almost... people at work are coming up to me and saying they like the look of this and are thinking of buying it. It's crazy.

It`s FF, and it`s on a system that has incredible market and mind share in Japan right now. Nope, not crazy.

Red Scarlet

Pureauthor said:
Since you're able to play while controlling your characters with the touch screen, I'd say it's the bottom one.

Why don't you just borrow one that works fine, anyway?

I only know of 1 person with a DS.

How is it, neo?

thetrin

Red Scarlet said:
?

Compared to what? It's not bad in the regular game most of the time.

In the original, how much did the game funnel you to the next dungeon or town? Was it super open, or was it relatively linear in map setup? I`m so afraid of getting lost from short gaming spurts on the train, and between teaching classes.

(Or is there any word of a waypoint marker in the DS version? I can see this being a huge problem for people like me who play for short amounts of time in multiple places)

Red Scarlet

There's quite a number of places to go in the original, but I don't think much happened if you went to the places early. If you get stuck, I made a screenshot map of the Famicom game with the places numbered for when to go to them. I can upload it and if you just save after you beat an area, you can see where you just were and where to go to next.

But looking through a walkthrough, I think I missed some side areas. A couple of times I was confused as to where to go when I played the actual cart for the first time (hence the map I made). I played the translated rom the first time I played, so I don't think I had a problem figuring out where to go.

thetrin

Red Scarlet said:
There's quite a number of places to go in the original, but I don't think much happened if you went to the places early. If you get stuck, I made a screenshot map of the Famicom game with the places numbered for when to go to them. I can upload it and if you just save after you beat an area, you can see where you just were and where to go to next.

But looking through a walkthrough, I think I missed some side areas. A couple of times I was confused as to where to go when I played the actual cart for the first time (hence the map I made). I played the translated rom the first time I played, so I don't think I had a problem figuring out where to go.

Yea, I`ll just be smart about where I save.

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
TheTrin said:
Yea, I`ll just be smart about where I save.
or just don't save. sleep mode for the win.

i left my ds in sleep mode for a week and didn't even realise it. opened it up and started from where i left off.

thetrin

Scrow said:
or just don't save. sleep mode for the win.

i left my ds in sleep mode for a week and didn't even realise it. opened it up and started from where i left off.

Doesn't really solve the problem. The main problem is that I might forget where I'm going because I would be playing for short spurts between teaching, and the on the train to and from work.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
TheTrin said:
Doesn't really solve the problem. The main problem is that I might forget where I'm going because I would be playing for short spurts between teaching, and the on the train to and from work.

This happens to me too. I put something down and forget where I was going. Makes me feel old. :)

Y2Kevbug11 said:
This happens to me too. I put something down and forget where I was going. Makes me feel old. :)

Lawl.

This only happens when I take like a week or two off playing an RPG. Normally, it sticks in.

thetrin

Magicpaint said:
Lawl.

This only happens when I take like a week or two off playing an RPG. Normally, it sticks in.

It happens to me when I'm only playing for minutes at a time while I'm at work. my attention is so scattered, it's inevitable.

thefro

Some people have already gotten a hold of this (probably from some of those evil "release groups" dumping it), and they say it's excellent.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Pureauthor said:
I don't know anybody (other than myself) who has a DS.

Singapore is about casual as gaming gets.
Well I know one person (that lives less then an hour drive away) with a DS, a classmate of mine that I sold my old DS for 30$ to. (Bought a new shiny DS lite, and made him give up on the PS3, I always asked him what games he wanted on the PS3 and his answer was always something like "I dunno, BUT ITS TEH PLAYSTATION 3!!", branding is important.)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
thefro said:
Some people have already gotten a hold of this (probably from some of those evil "release groups" dumping it), and they say it's excellent.

Any word on what Wi-Fi Connection exactly does?

ethelred

Wario64 said:
Any word on what Wi-Fi Connection exactly does?

They've already detailed what it does before the game came out. Wifi is used for a new ingame Mognet that lets you send letters to friends; Mognet is also used to unlock lots of different sidequests within the game.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
ethelred said:
They've already detailed what it does before the game came out. Wifi is used for a new ingame Mognet that lets you send letters to friends; Mognet is also used to unlock lots of different sidequests within the game.

Meh, I was hoping that it does something else too

thefro

Report from a couple people who "have the game" on GameFAQs.

FMV quality looks like "PS2 quality on both screens". People just letting the FMV intro loop for a while since it's so nice. Total raves.

Quicksave IS IN.

"Best music on DS by far, sounds very full even without headphones but even better with them"

"You meet your party members one by one and each has a little graphics scenario"

"No battle slowdown, very faithful to original game so far but with tons of improvement in presentation"

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
thefro said:
Report from a couple people who "have the game" on GameFAQs.

FMV quality looks like "PS2 quality on both screens". People just letting the FMV intro loop for a while since it's so nice. Total raves.

Quicksave IS IN.

"Best music on DS by far, sounds very full even without headphones but even better with them"

"You meet your party members one by one and each has a little graphics scenario"

"No battle slowdown, very faithful to original game so far but with tons of improvement in presentation"
Any load time impressions?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Load times look fine. I only wish the music hit right away like in FFX or VPL on PSP. The loading into town wait is worse than loading into battles.

The fact we have to wait until November is criminal.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jonnyram said:

Nah, in the predition thread, I predicted crazy high sale numbers for this game, and I'm sticking to it!

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Red Scarlet said:
DS games look weird! Which screen is the main one? I think the top one is what's busted on the DS I might be borrowing.
as long as the touchscreen works you should be fine.

thefro

More info:

More people saying music sounds awesome, the trailers/videos floating around don't do it justice.

You get Mognet
after you get jobs for the first time

Red Scarlet

ethelred said:

I hope it isn't required to unlock those sidequests. I don't think wi-fi exists where I live.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Red Scarlet said:
I hope it isn't required to unlock those sidequests. I don't think wi-fi exists where I live.

Get the USB dongle (I got one for cheap at Ebay, $10 including shipping)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
well if you dont have a wifi router or wifi usb dongle. no you cant.

and yes wifi is wireless internet connection.

thefro

More notes from people on GameFAQs:

- You name characters when you meet them (FFVI style)
- Meeting the main party characters:
You find Arc in the first town, being picked on by some kids, and he runs off to the next town. You then go there, and get him on your team. You find Refia in the airship in the desert, and she joins without a fuss, but she'll leave if you go back into town, and rejoin when you leave. Ingus is at Sasoon Castle, and he joins you after you talk to the king.
- 1 person complains about "too many random battles", other people say it's fine, similar to NES version but more consistent (not as wide of a range of steps before battle).
- No Capacity Points
- There are now 6 jobs available after the Wind Crystal, not 5.
Thief
is moved up here from later in the game.

And the US hype begins

nplogo.JPG

ethelred

Red Scarlet said:

Having no solid information to go on here, I'm guessing the sidequest-unlocking Mognets aren't reliant upon Wifi... like, I'm guessing they'll have an in-game Mognet system that you can use, and the sidequests are based on that, and then the Mognet letters to real friends are separate.

Iunno, though, it's just a guess. I suppose we'll all know soon.

Red Scarlet

Hopefully it's not like 9's. I'd always get to a certain point and not remember where a moogle was and never complete it, so I simply stopped doing it at all in replays.

Top Bottom