• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Football•Soccer•Fútbol Thread 2008/2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karakand

I just had my first personal experience with the world famous Los Angeles Police Department.

It was obviously most unpleasant.

At least I didn't get shot.

edit: Though it almost happened.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
good work Corn, like I said if there is anything else you need don't be afraid to ask.

hadareud

The Translator
Karakand said:
I just had my first personal experience with the world famous Los Angeles Police Department.

tell us the story you old tease

SupahBlah

Banned
Karakand said:

:lol What happened?

Did you get beat down instead?

Yazan

On The Edge of Insanity said:
Prem Prediction:

Inter will probably win the Italian league once again, with Roma and Juventus the closest challengers. If Milan buy a decent goalkeeper and defender then they might have a chance, but with Kalac or Abbiati between the sticks they have no chance.

Roma wont have a chance this time and Fiorentina will most likely finish top 3.

woodchuck

Karakand said:
I am doing a full writeup for another board and will copypasta it here if that is cool.

fuck you man. you're supposed to be doing a full writeup for this board and copy/paste for that other board

10db7sz.gif

wooooow

Cedeo

EPL

1. Manchester United
2. Arsenal
3. Chelsea
4. Tottenham
5. Liverpool
6. Portsmouth

Player of the season - Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal F.C)

La Liga

1. Barcelona
2. Real Madrid
3. Valencia
4. Villarreal

Player of the season - Lionel Messi (Barcelona)

Serie A

1. Inter
2. Milan
3. Juve
4. Roma
5. Fiorentina

Player of the season - Ricardo Kaká (A.C. Milan)

Ligue 1

1. Lyon

Player of the season - Karim Benzema (Olympique Lyonnais)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FA Cup Winners - Manchester United

Carling Cup Winners - Arsenal

Champions League Winners - Barcelona

UEFA Cup Winners - A.C. Milan

World Club Championship winners - Manchester United F.C

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

World Player of the Year - Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United F.C)

Yazan said:
Roma wont have a chance this time and Fiorentina will most likely finish top 3.

Have Roma bought anyone to replace Mancini or - to a lesser extent - Giuly, as that is the only place I can see them having problems assuming that neither De Rossi or Aquilani leave before the end of the transfer window.

Van der Vaart to Real Madrid, 10mil€, supposedly he posted it on his official site, which does not work at the moment...

Cedeo

h0pper said:
Cedeo, did the new thread mark your official comeback?

I guess, I went for 3 days then saw some people taking liberties so I had to correct it then ramped down my post count for a few days and here we are now.

I'll try my best not to respond to everything I don't agree with in this thread though.

Steroyd

Dang my post average dropped like a rock at the end of the seaon. O_O, still in the 2,000's.

There's something about the way you fit in the different variations of football in the title that doesn't look right, maybe i'm too used to the Football (Soccer) therad format after staring at it for a full 12 months.

Lets see.

Official Football-Soccer-Futbol Thread 2008/09
Official Football (Soccer-Futbol) Thread 2008/09
Official Football (Soccer Futbol) Thread 2008/09
Official Football-Soccer Thread 2008/09
Official Football (Soccer) Thread 2008/09
Official Football Thread 2008/09

...yeah it's the 12 month thing the 2008/09 thing just makes every title look "wrong"

AHA it's the no space between Football, Futbol and Soccer.

Official Football Soccer Futbol Thread 2008/09

Karakand

woodchuck said:
fuck you man. you're supposed to be doing a full writeup for this board and copy/paste for that other board
I have more people's phone numbers from there than I do here. WE MUST USE OBJECTIVE CRITERIA WHEN PRIORITIZING OUR FRIENDS.

GAF gets the better edited version of the story, this should satisfy the almighty law of quid pro quo!

-------------------------

Karakand's First Personal Experience with the World Famous Los Angeles Police Department
also known as: Why I Will Never Do Anything Nice for Anyone Ever Again
by Kara K. And

So my friend that got married a couple of weeks ago calls me yesterday from New York and asked if I could pick him up from LAX because the person they had originally asked to do so bailed on them. (Always good to know you're only at best the second option.) Apparently his wife and he had the flight from hell back here from Europe or something where they had been honeymooning all this last week. All in all it took them around thirty-one hours to touch down at LAX, which happened to be around three-thirty in the AM our time.

Now when it became clear that they weren't going to get in until really late I thought to myself, "Hey I can score some real brownie points with his wife by picking them up at three in the morning when their flight gets in." (She had told my mom that it "took her a while to warm up to me" at the wedding reception, which in womanspeak means she hates me. [Notice I used the present tense.] So my rep could obviously use a +1 here.)

Now as I am driving down I-405 to get to LAX I notice the northbound side of the freeway is fubar because of road construction and I think to myself, "be sure to take Sepulveda on your way back, they have been through enough shit over the last day and a half and they don't need to sit through LA traffic on top of it."

I pick them up from LAX and we take Sepulveda out of there. After a bit of driving I realize that we are going southbound (I don't usually take this route so I didn't plan ahead for this) so I need to flip a bitch somewhere to get us going in the right direction. We come to the intersection of Sepulveda and Imperial Highway which has a retarded no u-turn sign up. I get in the left hand lane and prepare to flip a bitch anyways, again because I'm trying to crazy taxi these guys back so they can just get some sleep in a normal bed and earn myself some brownie points.

In the distance to the left on Imperial I notice a cop driving away but I decide to gamble and flip the bitch anyways. He's pretty far away. He won't notice, right?

Obviously the house was going to win this wager.

Eventually he comes back and starts shadowing me on Sepulveda. It's pretty obvious that he's shadowing (at least to me, I am kinda paranoid about being followed at night so I am always checking my surroundings) so I get in the right hand lane and prepare for the inevitable. Before he flips the lights, I make sure I tell everyone that my tags are expired because I'm a fucking retard and that was probably the least important yet most damaging piece of information to share with everyone.

After the inevitable happens I pull over, roll down my window and put both hands on my steering wheel.

Now with LAPD you ask permission before you do anything because they shoot first, plant cocaine and a hot piece on you first, then ask questions later. When the copper asks for my driver's license and I ask if I can get it out of my pocket, I kind of don't wait for him to answer because again, I'm a fucking retard.

So while I am reaching for my back pocket he quickly unbuttons his pistol holster and reaches for his piece. I instinctively freeze in a contorted position and then he tells me it is OK to get it out after I tell him it's in my back pocket. When he asks for my registration and proof of insurance, I wait for him to give me complete approval before I open my glovebox to get them. (Hey an old dog can learn new tricks.)

The best part of the story is that I haven't even really fucked up yet.

Now because I move three to five times a calendar year, I don't update my address with the DMV. I just to leave everything at my mom's address in Orange County instead. However, when the officer asked me where I lived when he first pulled me over, I told him my current apartment's address instead of the Orange County address. This obviously does not match my driver's license, registration or proof of insurance for reasons previously stated.

Now the fun begins.

Because I fuck this up, the entire incident takes an additional thirty minutes to process. (So maybe forty-five minutes in all.) He verifies every god damn piece of personal information about me by yelling queries at the two officers shining flashlights in my passenger side windows, who repeat the query to me and then I answer it and then they yell back my answer. It was the most absurd game of high-stakes telephone I have ever played in my entire life.

After he makes sure I'm not a domestic terrorist using forged papers he comes back, gives me my citation and tells me that he didn't want to cite me for not updating my address because I had a compelling reason, but that he'd already written it down on his little form before he found out why and thus couldn't give me a break. (Cops are always so quick to judge. Besides why are you trying to get sympathy from me? You already went out of your way to nick me once, why nick the whole shebang.) Then he gave me a handy little road safety speech about how I endangered everyone's life to save a few minutes and let us go on our merry way at last.

Now keep in mind again that the people in my car have been dicked around for thirty-one hours in addition to all this. (And all this is obviously agitating as they have to have bright lights flashed in their eyes during most of this from the officers outside my car and the floodlight on top of the police cruiser and they have to keep their hands in plain sight too because everyone in Los Angeles is obviously packing heat.) My friend reminds me of this by passive-aggressively sighing every few minutes and I can feel his wife's seething hatred for me growing exponentially. Every sort of good intention I had. All the good will I'd earned for myself. ALL GONE. ;_;

The only thing I could really do was burst into laughter when the most apropos song ever came on my MP3 player while we were driving back to their apartment in semi-but-completely-uncomfortable-silence.

Frenck

Banned
My hopes for this season:

- Werder Bremen doing well in Europe
- Werder Bremen winning the DFB Cup
- No English domination in the CL like the last couple of years
- More Bundesliga fans in this thread
- Stars like Luca Toni, Ribery, Diego, Farfan and several others attracting new Bundesliga fans abroad
- Less bitching and more fun in here

My feelings about last season:

It was a pretty exciting season. What stood out for me was Arsenal's fall after being surefire title contestants for more than half a season. They still did incredibly well if you consider that their most important player who is not Spanish left for Barcelona. Ronaldo had the best season of his career and he proved once again that he is the biggest asshole in the business. Manchester United won the CL and the EPL due to struggling opposition not really by playing all that great (first CL leg against Barca will go down as the shittiest CL match I've ever seen).

Real Madrid bought half the Dutch national team and it paid off for them. Schuster won't make it past Christmas 2008 as their manager which is too bad because he is pretty good. Barcelona was just ridiculous last season. The whole Ronaldinho affair really dragged the team down. I still don't get why they want to sell Eto'o. Another thing tghat really stood out last season was Valencia's epic fail :)lol ). What the flying fuck was going on there? It's a great team with some incredible players yet they were fighting relegation and had probably the most loltastic campaign in Europe just behind Stuttgart.

I can't say much about Italy. I think Juventus doesn't get enough credit for reaching the third place after a year in Serie B. Trezeguet missing the Euro was a crying shame.

Bundesliga time!

Bayern did incredibly well but they were neither unbeatable nor a different league than their closest competitors. Bremen had a chance to compete for the title. We were tied on points during the winter break but everything fell apart afterwards. Schalke was just a marvel to behold :lol

3rd place in Germany, good quarter finals performance against Barcelona and yet they fire their coach because Schalke didn't meet the board's expectations. I hope they fail hard in the upcoming season, you know they deserve it.

Euro thoughts!

After all I'm pretty satisfied. I think Russia should've won the damn thing but Spain did really well too. The final was crap. A shitty ref, Spain played like shit compared to earlier performances and Germany still didn't even put up a fight. Not a single shot on goal that I remember. I think it will go down as one of the best and most entertaining tournaments of all time despite the shitty final.

Ronok

God, it's kind of hard to find this thread now...... :-/ lol

Predictions.

1) Arsenal
2) Man U
3) Chelsea
4) Liverpool

10) Tottenham

I just found out I've got two tickets to Arsenal games relatively early in the season. I'll be going to Hull and Newcastle. :D Should be fun.

So I didn'y really get involved in last years thread. Ive only recently started visiting the OP regularly. I think I'll enjoy this season more with a home to post in :D

Oh and I'm liking all these predictions with Spurs in the top 4. Yous my kinda people!!

And to add to the fun:

1. Man Utd
2. Chelski
3. Liverpool
4. Tottenham
5. Arsenal
6. dont care :p

Fulham, Hull and Stoke to go down.

Hootie

Man I'm still a total noob on the whole european football scene. I'm not even sure which team is my favorite :lol

Which club does James McFadden play for? That man is a beast.

Frenck

Banned
This thread is stickied in a way because it's always on the first or second page. No mods is a big advantage too.

Frenck

Banned
Hootie said:
wat? I'm not that stupid :lol

I looked it up on wikipedia and it says Birmingham City...are they any good?

If they don't win the CL this year they never will. They currently have their best squad ever.

SupahBlah

Banned
:lol

Poor Kara.

One of my friends is constantly pulled by the police, he was born in Kuwait but moved to Liverpool when he was like 3 months old, his scouse accent is stronger than mine. :lol

He got a good job working for Barclays international division so he drives a pretty awesome BMW but because he's young, short and driving a good car he always gets pulled over for no reason. In the end he was told to get a ticket or notification he was pulled over and collected them and did the police for harassment. :lol

Yazan

Hootie said:
wat? I'm not that stupid :lol

I looked it up on wikipedia and it says Birmingham City...are they any good?

They fell to the championship (division 2) but they have Seb Larsson, so you should support them:) AND MILAN of course!

Hootie

Yazan said:
They fell to the championship (division 2) but they have Seb Larsson, so you should support them:) AND MILAN of course!

Well I enjoy watching AC Milan, thanks to Kaka.

Karakand said:
It's not a good story to comment on. You just move from facepalm to facepalm.

I think the lesson might be, that maybe, it's just better to play hard to get when confronted by instant disapproval by someone.

Cedeo

@ Hootie

You should support Arsenal, there is a shortage of supporters of L'Arse round here.

Would be a refreshing change to the talk about Manchester United all the time.

SupahBlah

Banned
Cedeo said:
@ Hootie

You should support Arsenal, there is a shortage of supporters of L'Arse round here.

Would be a refreshing change to the talk about Manchester United all the time.

:lol

Charles

Nice OP, Nice gif of bouncy-bouncy on page 1. What more can one ask for?

Also, you can add my PSN to the table-thingy (munita), I still play a bit of PES2008 online (in division 2) and will most likely get PES2009 on (or around) day1.

hey, this is blablurn. i'm writing from a friend's pc because i'm banned till saturday or sunday XD great work for the op! See you guys in a few days :)

(OP needs more Bayern)

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
I eagerly await another Fulham great escape this year.

Best time I ever had with pro sports.

I also expect those rich fucks in Chelsea to take the league this year. And this is coming from a Man U fan.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I dont think Fulham will struggle this season, they've improved their squad pretty well, can't see past Stoke, West Brom & Hull going down.

Hooker

The Orange said:
Van der Vaart to Real Madrid, 10mil€, supposedly he posted it on his official site, which does not work at the moment...
It's actually €13 million, with an additional €2 million depending on the trophies Real Madrid wins.

A steal~!!

chico

Hooker said:
It's actually €13 million, with an additional €2 million depending on the trophies Real Madrid wins.

A steal~!!

next year he could have gone for 1.5mio €... so 15mio€ is not THAT bad.

Hooker

That's true, but for a young player, with his skills and experience, 15 million is a VERY good price. Especially next to all the inflated transfers that happen in England.

Frenck

Banned
13m or 15m is a very good price and Hamburg needs the money desperately because they lack a decent striker.

Frenck

Banned
AyuFanatic86 said:
*pictures of silly drunkards*

FC Bayern = Upcoming winner of the Champions League. Sry my English Friends :)

-

Blablurn

My hopes for this season:

- Werder Bremen doing well in Europe
- Werder Bremen winning the DFB Cup
- No English domination in the CL like the last couple of years
- More Bundesliga fans in this thread
- Stars like Luca Toni, Ribery, Diego, Farfan and several others attracting new Bundesliga fans abroad
- Less bitching and more fun in here

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom