• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (Soccer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Chiellini's agent says he wants to join Man City, but it's problematic because in transfers there's always one club that buys and one club that sells. It's that sort of keen understanding that gets him a 10% cut.

I read a rumour earlier that the reason it might not happen is because Juventus want £12m. Which is ridiculous.

h0pper

only Fernando's ripe melons are good enough for me
Cornballer said:
Reyes is officially gone to Atletico. Fee was undisclosed.

Yeah I just saw that. What a p****. If his attitude was decent we probably could've used him but there is no sense in keeping a player who doesn't like rain. lolololol.

That just makes me laugh to myself, thinking about a grown man get upset over rain. I mean, maybe a female model concerned about her makeup and hair. But a grown man and a professional athlete none the less? It doesn't send the right message. Especially in a line of work where toughness and aggressiveness and very important traits.

Mama Smurf

I don't mind players not fitting in in a new country, even just in general life, not footballing. But when he's complaining about the weather...what did he expect! It's England! I know that if I go to Spain it's gonna be sunny a hell of a lot more, I don't believe for a second that he didn't know the opposite when he signed.

Anyway, I hear the fee is £8m, which is probably about as much as you could have hoped for. Spend it on Curtis Davies.

Osorio

Outdoor Miner said:
God bless Toronto.

From yesterday's Toronto-Fire match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb7C...cer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573946&page=13

:lol

Blanco's just like **** it, and still manages a pretty decent corner given the circumstances.
I hear they're bringing 200 down to good ol' Giants Stadium on the 12th. Which is unfortunate because I think my group is doing a protest for the first 15 minutes or so due to the way we've been treated by security. You see in the video they're throwing so many streamers at Blanco it's ridiculous. However, one of the people in my group got kicked out for throwing a balloon. It'll be interesting to see how they're treated down here.

lachesis

Mama Smurf said:
I don't mind players not fitting in in a new country, even just in general life, not footballing. But when he's complaining about the weather...what did he expect! It's England! I know that if I go to Spain it's gonna be sunny a hell of a lot more, I don't believe for a second that he didn't know the opposite when he signed.

Anyway, I hear the fee is £8m, which is probably about as much as you could have hoped for. Spend it on Curtis Davies.

well, I think he probably knew about the weather - but my guess is he probably didn't really expect to affect him that much... along with other stuff. (which, I think the weather's just part of the whole his reasons of leaving London).

I for myself, am afftected by weather a lot... and if I lived in Great Britain, I can see myself getting really depressed a lot... having heard all the horror stories of British weather.

I visited Seville last Chrismas season, when England was covered with that heavy fog, etc - but Seville was quite sunny and warm. No sign of any cloud... dry, mid 80's all along. I kinda understand what Reyes, a native Sevillan, might have went through.

But funny that he went to Madrid... and the weather in Madrid is pretty extreme as well. Scorching hot in summer, and pretty damn called in winter too... much colder than I anticipated, really, but still better than foggy and wet, damp + cold winters,. I thought.

:lol Courtesy of BigSoccer....

163fs331848.jpg

163fs332031.jpg

lolwiz

163fs332491.jpg

163fs332775.jpg

Mama Smurf

Depression is the natural state in Britain. I remember on a programme called This Morning (weekday morning light entertainment show, very well known here) for a while they decided to do a poll of people every day to see how they rated their happiness that day on a scale of 10. I think they were trying to see if different days were generally happier or something.

Hilariously, to my mind, every day the numbers were coming in at 3, 4...I don't think I ever saw the average above 5. The presenters didn't know what to do with it, I think they thought everyone else was happy like them. Of course they're happy, they have an easy job working on TV and are paid a shitload for it!

It's not all bad over here though. We have chavs, I'll often see one helping an old lady crossing the road, then beating her to death for her pension money.

We do have the richest football league in the world though. See, this post is about football.

Mama Smurf

Apparently Martins might be put up for sale by Newcastle. The Independent reckons Allardyce has to sell to raise funds for new players...so that's the worst takeover ever.

I'm sure a number of teams will have sat up and taken note of this report though, especially as he has a £13m release clause.

Just randomly...how screwed are Derby? They were already the weakest team in the league when they were promoted, and now everyone else has strengthened well beyond what they have. The transfer window isn't closed, but I just don't think they have the money to compete. I expect them to be far behind even the other relegations candidates.

Aalyx

Mama Smurf said:
Apparently Martins might be put up for sale by Newcastle. The Independent reckons Allardyce has to sell to raise funds for new players...so that's the worst takeover ever.

I'm sure a number of teams will have sat up and taken note of this report though, especially as he has a £13m release clause.
Newcastle would be crazy to sell him, I rate him so highly, he's easily their best striker. (Owen is probably gonna get injured again and retire laughing)

I'd love for him to come to Man Utd. :D

Shinobi

Outdoor Miner said:
God bless Toronto.

From yesterday's Toronto-Fire match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb7C...cer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=573946&page=13

Blanco's just like **** it, and still manages a pretty decent corner given the circumstances.

:lol Pretty much the only bright spot of the entire day for us TFC fans...and the Fire still damn near scored a goal off it. :lol God I can't wait for next week's game...Beckham and Donovan have no idea what's in store for them.

Mama Smurf said:
Chiellini's agent says he wants to join Man City, but it's problematic because in transfers there's always one club that buys and one club that sells. It's that sort of keen understanding that gets him a 10% cut.

:lol :lol :lol

h0pper said:
But a grown man and a professional athlete none the less? It doesn't send the right message. Especially in a line of work where toughness and aggressiveness and very important traits.

Sadly in today's game, diving and crying like a ****ing school girl appear to be more important traits...since they actually work.

Cornballer said:
:lol Courtesy of BigSoccer....

163fs331848.jpg

163fs332031.jpg

lolwiz

163fs332491.jpg

163fs332775.jpg

:lol :lol :lol The last two just kill me...

Sounds like the Adu to Benfica deal is about to go through. He'll fly out for a medical after this weekend's game.

Shinobi said:
:lol :lol :lol The last two just kill me...
I'll post some more soon. There's a whole thread of them on BigSoccer.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Sean Bean: Legend.

Warnock, who has likened the pain he suffered upon the club’s relegation to the day that his mother died, has revealed that Sean Bean, the actor and United director, reduced the manager’s wife and son to tears 20 minutes after the final whistle of the defeat by Wigan Athletic at Bramall Lane on May 13.

“Twenty minutes or so after the game had ended, Sharon and William were sitting in my office when Sean Bean burst in with his girlfriend,” he said. “He was obviously the worse for wear. He wanted to know where I was. Sharon told him I was doing a press conference and would be back soon.

“He started swearing at her and my five-year-old son. ‘It’s your f*****g husband that got us relegated,’ he said, pointing at her. ‘He’s a f*****g w****r’.”

From Warnocks autobiography.

h0pper

'He’s a f*****g w****r’.

I can picture him saying this so vividly in my mind lol.

Karakand

Gossip for 31 July.

TRANSFER RUMOURS

Everton have accepted a £4m offer from Sheffield United for James Beattie. (The Independent)

Bolton will start a bidding war for defender Abdoulaye Faye after deciding to cash in on the contract rebel. (The Sun)

And Newcastle are leading the chase for the versatile giant. (Daily Mirror)

Sunderland have rejoined the race to sign Manchester United striker Alan Smith. (The Sun)

But Middlesbrough are close to winning the battle after offering Smith a massive £60,000-a-week contract. (Daily Mirror)

Although Everton are said to be favourites to pip Newcastle to the signing of Smith. (Daily Mail)

West Ham are lining up a £17m move for Barcelona's Eidur Gudjohnsen and Smith. (Daily Express)

The Hammers are also being linked with a £10m double deal for Gudjohnsen and Kieron Dyer. (Daily Mirror)

West Ham boss Alan Curbishley also inquired about Middlesbrough's Yakubu. (The Times)

Spurs are set to tie up the signing of £4.5m Hertha Berlin midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng this week. (Daily Mirror)

Tottenham are in talks about signing Dynamo Zagreb right-back Vedran Corluka. (The Times)

Winger Seol Ki-Hyeon is ready to leave Reading for Fulham in a £1m switch. (Various)

Fulham boss Lawrie Sanchez is making a £3m bid for Newcastle's Charles N'Zogbia. (Daily Mirror)

Newcastle have told striker Obafemi Martins he can leave if they find a suitable buyer. (The Independent)

PSG defender Boukary Dreme is attracting interest from Magpies boss Sam Allardyce. (The Times)

Aston Villa boss Martin O'Neill is considering making a £3m bid for FC Copenhagen defender Brede Hangeland. (The Independent)

Liverpool's Anthony Le Tallec has been offered to Fulham, West Ham and Birmingham. (The Times)

Robert Pires wants Bolton forward Nicolas Anelka to join him at Villarreal in Spain. (The Sun)

Wigan have told Everton they must stump up £6m for left-back Leighton Baines. (The Sun)

The Latics expect to agree a deal for West Brom defender Paul Robinson. (The Times)

Juventus have joined the race for Manchester United defender Gabriel Heinze. (Daily Mail)

Barcelona star Deco has told Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho he would like to work with him again. (The Sun)

Serie A side Napoli have expressed an interest in Manchester United's Giuseppi Rossi. (The Independent)

Southampton are poised to swoop for Norwich's Youssef Safri and could offload Jhon Viafara to West Brom. (Daily Mirror)

US teenage star Freddy Adu has signed for Benfica for £1.5m. (Daily Mirror)

Leeds boss Dennis Wise wants Newcastle's Tim Krul on loan. (Daily Mail)

Blackburn boss Mark Hughes has joined the race to sign Hibernian right-back Steve Whittaker. (The Independent)

Austria Vienna have boasted that they tricked Rangers into paying an inflated price for striker Filip Sebo. (Daily Mirror)

Celtic have held initial talks to extend midfielder Shunsuke Nakamura's contract with the Scottish champions. (Various)

Tell us your transfer rumours

OTHER GOSSIP

Sam Allardyce has held clear-the-air talks with Newcastle chairman Chris Mort over their lack of transfer funds. (The Sun)

Former Liverpool star Steve McManaman has written off the club's title hopes this season. (Various)

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is ready to smash through the £50m barrier in his summer spending spree. (Daily Star)

Premier League chief Richard Scudamore could be summoned to the High Court to give evidence over the Carlos Tevez saga. (Various)

Chelsea's Brazilian star Alex was barred from entering Britain by immigration officials. (Various)

Holland want Tottenham boss Martin Jol to take over as national boss after Euro 2008. (Daily Express)

Sir Trevor Brooking has warned that failure to qualify for Euro 2008 would severely hinder England's footballing progress. (Various)

LA Galaxy boss Frank Yallop believes Real Madrid's treatment of David Beckham's ankle injury has ruined the start to his American adventure. (Daily Express, Daily Star)

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp has played down reports of a major bust-up with striker Andy Cole. (Daily Express)

Chelsea's gruelling pre-season programme has taken its toll, with another six players added to their growing injury list ahead of the Community Shield. (Daily Mail)

Middlesbrough star James Morrison has turned his back on England coach Steve McClaren by choosing to play for Scotland. (Various)

Austria Vienna have boasted that they tricked Rangers into paying an inflated price for striker Filip Sebo. (Daily Mirror)

Celtic have held initial talks to extend midfielder Shunsuke Nakamura's contract with the Scottish champions. (Various)

AND FINALLY

Former Sheffield United manager Neil Warnock claims he and his family were reduced to tears by a foul-mouthed tirade by actor Sean Bean. (The Sun)

h0pper

Martins is back on the market? I think he would be a good buy for anyone outside of Chelsea and Manchester United right now. He's a good striker and seriously underrated. I'm surprised New Castle are even considering letting him leave (if the rumor is true). Who else would be their starting forward besides Owen (who will most likely grab an injury no later than 1 month into the season).

I think I remember Martins saying he will not leave New Castle about a week or two ago but there has been constant speculation over him and I kind of get the feeling that he will leave.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
A2D said:
Newcastle would be crazy to sell him, I rate him so highly, he's easily their best striker. (Owen is probably gonna get injured again and retire laughing)

I'd love for him to come to Man Utd. :D
Why? United dont need him. If the tevez deal does go through, then we'll have rooney, tevez, saha, solskjaer, dong, rossi and smith. Smith is probably going to leave and rossi might too, but if they do, we'll still have enough strikers.

psycho_snake

h0pper said:
Martins is back on the market? I think he would be a good buy for anyone outside of Chelsea and Manchester United right now. He's a good striker and seriously underrated. I'm surprised New Castle are even considering letting him leave (if the rumor is true). Who else would be their starting forward besides Owen (who will most likely grab an injury no later than 1 month into the season).

I think I remember Martins saying he will not leave New Castle about a week or two ago but there has been constant speculation over him and I kind of get the feeling that he will leave.
Its a good and bad thing to sell him. The bad part of it is that they lose a great striker, but the good thing is that they can make some money to strengthen the team. Losing martins would be a shame, but they've got a decent forward line without him as long as owen stays fit. They'll have owen, viduka, ameobi, caroll and luques. I know luque has been pants since he came but i think we might see better performances from him under a new manager.

Hooker

Holland want Tottenham boss Martin Jol to take over as national boss after Euro 2008. (Daily Express)
**** that, we want Foppe de Haan!!

(the bloke who made Holland win the under-21 European cups on consecutive occasions)

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Cant believe the newcastle situation, I'm guessing Sheppard left the club in more of a state than he let on to the new guy.

While I was away West Ham WON A PRE SEASON FRIENDLY W000! 3-1 against Southend, Zamora, Ljungberg & Bellamy all scored. Zamora looked hawt, could have easily had a hatrick himself. I hope he gets a chance because Ashton looks out of shape to me, he's no where near the physique Pardew had him trimmed down to (though maybe all that work contributed a certain amount to his injury).

The persistant rumours linking us with Gudjohnsen have me worried that Zamora could be sidelined. Which would be a travesty after his contribution (while injured) at the end of last season.

The theory on the fan sites is that Curbs will slot Gudjohnsen into midfield, giving us a midfield of:

Boa Morte Gudjohnsen Parker Ljungberg

which would be pretty f*cking cool. Would be even better if Noble could displace Parker. Which wouldnt supprise me.

Mama Smurf

Ghost said:
which would be pretty f*cking cool. Would be even better if Noble could displace Parker. Which wouldnt supprise me.

I think Noble would be wasted as a defensive midfielder, he looked so dangerous going forwards towards the end of last season. I do agree that Gudjohnsen would be used in midfield though, which is where he impressed me most for Chelsea.

h0pper said:
Who else would be their starting forward besides Owen (who will most likely grab an injury no later than 1 month into the season).

Viduka. He outscored Martins last season (14 to 11), despite playing quite a few less games, not taking penalties (1 of Martins is a penalty) and pretty much playing for a side at the same level. They also have Ameobi, Carroll who I think is going to do very well, Luque who might just improve under Allardyce (but it doesn't really matter if he doesn't with the others they have) and it's rumoured they want Smith.

I mean I'd still keep Martins, and if I did sell him I sure as hell wouldn't replace him with a striker, I'd use the money on the defence, but it wouldn't leave them in too bad a situation if he was sold.

Deco wanting to join Chelsea is interesting. Their midfield is overloaded, but this is likely to be Makelele's last season, at least with Chelsea. Let's say they sell Diarra, that leaves Lampard, Essien, Sidwell, Ballack, Makelele and Mikel. Now I think they could fit Deco into that:

------------Essien------------

-----Lampard----Deco------

That would be the first team and the second:

-----------Makelele----------

-----Ballack----Sidwell------

leaving Mikel as a spare. Only that's ok, because he's only 20 and will know his chance will come the next season without Makelele.

I don't know if Mourinho wants Deco though, or if Chelsea will even give him the money if he does.

Mama Smurf

We're still looking for the last fantasy league member:

Penguin Honor Guard--------Penguin King

It's a Liverpool supporter (typical) and he lives in the US (typical).

IF YOU DON'T SAY WHO YOU ARE WE'LL BOOT YOU

It's not like you have to join a league to play the game, you can just have a team and compete against everyone. So there's no point in joining the gaf league if we don't know who you are. Like I've said, if you're banned here, post on the league's message board.

It's safe to boot them btw, I read up on it and we can reinstate them if they ever bother to show up.

Shinobi

Ghost said:
Hey Americans, what the hell is USL?

http://www.altodigital.com/whufc-usa/USL_release.pdf

Because apparently West Ham have agreed to eventually start an American 'franchise' (West Ham USA) in the USL, but for now it's just a bunch of academies and staff swapping and junk.

It's a lower level league in North America...think it has 12 clubs. It's a step or two down from the MLS.

Sean Bean is a twat BTW...if I was Warnock I wouldv'e punched his teeth down his ****ing throat for that shit.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Hows everybodys teams working out. I've got a good basis for a team at the moment with some minor tweaks when last minute transfer rush happens?

hadareud

The Translator
I still don't get the Diarra move (if actually true), it's just very odd to me. It's an area that doesn't need improving. Ah well, Arsene knows.

Btw, only 3 more posts and this is GAF's biggest thread. Oh, and I'm going to the season opener against Fulham. Anyone else going?

Hooker

Just to be sure right?

Brasil finally made themselves candidate for the 2014 WC. They want the FIFA to use 19 os their stadiums (normally it's 10). I don't care, as long as the final is in a renovated (read: safe) Maracaña...

Ronok

Wow, biggest thread ever huh? Quite an achievment. :)

I'm still not really sure on a couple of players I put in my fantasy league team..... I kind of squeesed them in because I was low on points...

I'm also not to sure on my formation.... I left it as 4-4-2 but if I remember correctly it's easier for more attacking players to get more points?

Freddy Adu arrived in Portugal on Monday and didn't waste any time settling in. He went through his first training session on Tuesday and just needs to pass a physical before signing a new five-year contract with Benfica.

163fs464797.jpg

163fs464817.jpg

psycho_snake

Ronok said:
Wow, biggest thread ever huh? Quite an achievment. :)

I'm still not really sure on a couple of players I put in my fantasy league team..... I kind of squeesed them in because I was low on points...

I'm also not to sure on my formation.... I left it as 4-4-2 but if I remember correctly it's easier for more attacking players to get more points?
I've gone for a 3-5-2 because the midfielders tend to get more points than strikers. Lampard, cesc and ronaldo all got more points than rooney and drogba.

Hooker

I guess that's going to be heartbreaking for Americans putting their hope into Adu. I remember the comparisons to Pelé when he was a 13-year old lad. Now it's showtime!!

Hooker said:
I guess that's going to be heartbreaking for Americans putting their hope into Adu. I remember the comparisons to Pelé when he was a 13-year old lad. Now it's showtime!!
The good thing is that we have a couple other kids in the pipeline that are playing really well, so it's not as if all of our hopes for the future rest on Adu.

Osorio

Hooker said:
I will say for all American football fans that we are wishing Adu all the best. Our hopes aren't that high we just wish him all the best.

Why the hell did Adu go for so little?

A $2 million transfer fee is a joke. I think an announced fee like that does more damage to MLS then it helps. Just stamp "Undisclosed Fee" for the media and be done with it.

I definitely would have thought $5 or so mil just based on his U-20 WC performances alone would have been expected.

Anyways grats to Adu. Benfica is a great club.

Osorio

What has he done domestically to get more than $2 mil? He had a great U-20 World Cup, and besides that? I do agree they shouldve put undisclosed fee for MLS image's sake but the transfer is definitely fair IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom