• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Football Thread 2006/2007 (Soccer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osorio

Outdoor Miner said:
Not much but the kid is 17. I'm talking on potential alone.
Yeah but unlike most 17 or 18 year olds in the sport they haven't had 4 years of professional soccer under their belt. He's had a chance to prove himself since he was 13 and he hasn't really done too much. He can still be great, and that's why I feel the Portuguese league is probably the best league for him to go to. He might get Champions League experience, and it's not that competitive making it really good for developing players.

I think it's a great opportunity for him - he has a chance to earn some playing time immediately, Benfica likes to play younger players, and they're going to play some good teams in Europe. It's a very good situation for Adu. I was very down on him based on MLS play, but given what he did at the U-20's I can understand someone taking a (small) risk on him. 2 million isn't a lot of money to Benfica, and I'd assume there's a sell-on clause in his contract, so MLS will make a fair bit more money if he eventually moves somewhere else. It's a good deal for everyone involved.

Osorio

So they sticky the fantasy football thread but not this one eh? They better sticky the new thread. It's coming tomorrow right?

The draw for the Champions League 3rd round of qualifying is on Friday. I pulled this off of Arsenal.com. Presumably the same conditions apply for Liverpool. These ties will be played August 14/15 and 28/29.

THIRD QUALIFYING ROUND (Arsenal/Liverpool's possible opponents in bold)

Arsenal (England)
Liverpool (England)
Valencia (Spain)
Sevilla (Spain)
Benfica (Portugal)
Ajax (Holland)
Werder Bremen (Germany)
Celtic (Scotland)
Lazio (Italy)
Anderlecht (Belgium)
Dynamo Kyiv (Ukraine)
Sparta Prague (Czech Republic)
Fenerbahçe (Turkey)
AEK Athens (Greece)
Dinamo Bucharest (Romania)
Spartak Moscow (Russia)
Toulouse (France)
Zürich (Switzerland)

FC Pyunik (Armenia) or FC Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine)
Tampere United (Finland) v PFC Levski Sofia (Bulgaria)
Rangers FC (Scotland) v FK Zeta (Montenegro)
Debreceni VSC (Hungary) v IF Elfsborg (Sweden)
Zaglebie Lubin (Poland) v FC Steaua Bucuresti (Romania)
KRC Genk (Belgium) v FK Sarajevo (Bosnia Herzegovina)
FC København (Denmark) v Beitar Jerusalem FC (Israel)
FC Astana (Kazakhstan) v Rosenborg BK (Norway)
FH Hafnarfjördur (Iceland) v FC BATE Borisov (Belarus)
FK Ventspils (Latvia) v FC Salzburg (Austria)
MSK Zilina (Slovakia) v SK Slavia Prague (Czech Republic)
FK Crvena Zvezda (Serbia) v FC Levadia Tallinn (Estonia)
NK Domzale (Slovenia) v NK Dinamo Zagreb (Croatia)

Besiktas JK (Turkey) v FC Sheriff (Macedonia)

GROUP STAGE

AC Milan (Italy)
Barcelona (Spain)
Internazionale (Italy)
Real Madrid (Spain)
Manchester United (England)
Chelsea (England)
Lyon (France)
Porto (Portugal)
PSV Eindhoven (Holland)
Roma (Italy)
Schalke 04 (Germany)
Stuttgart (Germany)
CSKA Moscow (Russia)
Sporting Lisbon (Portugal)
Marseille (France)
Olympiacos (Greece)

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Not too much to fear there. Obviously there are teams you'd prefer not to play, but nothing the Premiership sides can't handle.

Tottenham have signed Kevin-Prince Boateng (no relationship to the Middlesbrough player), a 20 year old German U21 international, plays attacking midfield. Seems like a good buy, he apparently won the best young player in Germany award in 2006, and once scored an U19 goal against Greece from inside the centre circle.

I still think Spurs lack a top goalkeeper, defensive midfielder and left winger, but otherwise they're well on their way to building a team that can compete with top 4. They should be, I reckon they've spent almost £40m this transfer window. And I still think they'll try and get a left winger.

Osorio said:
That punk ass decided to play for Italy instead of the U.S. That's just cold.
Meh. I don't want anyone putting on the shirt that doesn't want to play for us. He's a great player and we obviously could have used him, but if his heart isn't in it....

Ryck

So either Saha or Smith is going soon ( prolly Alan :( )

that leaves us with

Rooney
Tevez ( maybe)
Saha
Solskjaer

Course Ole has said this is his last year so I guess maybe in the winter look for someone ...

Zoolaga

Ronok said:
Ok, I'm really confused...... How on earth do I get to change the formation on my fantasy team? >.>

just remove a player by clicking the yellow box next to his name, then click on the green box for one your subs that plays in a different position.

Osorio

Cornballer said:
Meh. I don't want anyone putting on the shirt that doesn't want to play for us. He's a great player and we obviously could have used him, but if his heart isn't in it....
I wouldn't make him change his decision if I could but that's just cold to turn on your own country. For someone like Edgar Davids it makes sense because I don't even know if Suriname has a national team, but our national team is thriving and he goes off and plays for Italy.

Mama Smurf

There's Dong too. He might not be great, but he's only a 5th choice striker in a team that can quite happily play with one striker.

It's half-time in Brondby - Chelsea. 0-0, it's not a very good game. Chelsea don't look particularly dangerous going forwards, though they've had a few chances, but what's new? Can hardly write Chelsea off just because they're not playing very attractive football. And it's not a full strength team...it's a strong one, but no Cech, Terry, Essien or Joe Cole.

Zoolaga

For people in the UK, you can watch Rangers - FK Zeta on the BBC Sport website. It might work elsewhere but I'm not sure.

edit:Rangers nearly scored 9 seconds in.

Anyone know if Castillo joined Shakhtar Donetsk already? I see they're up 2-0 in CL Qualifying today.

What a shame he didn't end up at Valencia or Man City. Oh wellz.

Ryck

Mama Smurf said:
There's Dong too. He might not be great, but he's only a 5th choice striker in a team that can quite happily play with one striker.
Id like to see Dong on the squad for a full year maybe play some cup matches. Before I evaluate him. Hey may turn out to be a good fringe player.

Copa Sudamericana kicks off today, but the first game isnt very exciting at all.

Audax Italiano (Chile) - Jorge Wilstermann (Bolivia)

Never heard of that second team (what a horrible name, I cant imagine working it into a conversation), and Audax is usually in Libertadores, so should be an obvious winner.

Cedeo

I'm annoyed about Rossi leaving he would of been great this season, the last decent talent to get out of the academy in years gets sold, this shows that Fergie is most likely going to play a boring 4-5-1 formation.

At the moment we have

Rooney
Smith ( Most likely going to get sold)
Saha ( sicknote)
Dong Fazhnou (unproven)
Tevez (???)
Baby-face ( Injured, relic of the past)

Mama Smurf

Not really, he's not chasing Tevez to play a 4-5-1. And United don't have a boring formation.

Watching the second half of Everton - Bremen, and Everton do seem the better side though they're 1-0 down. I can't get past Bremen's disgusting shirts though, it's like...mud green with luminous yellow trimming.

Lakitu

st5fu
Mama Smurf said:
Not really, he's not chasing Tevez to play a 4-5-1. And United don't have a boring formation.

Watching the second half of Everton - Bremen, and Everton do seem the better side though they're 1-0 down. I can't get past Bremen's disgusting shirts though, it's like...mud green with luminous yellow trimming.

Leighton Baines is at the match right?

Mama Smurf

Yeah, though he is an Everton fan, and Wigan's not far away to go see a match.

Benni McCarthy's also there, so it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Mama Smurf

I dunno if anyone else is watching, but you can see why Moyes wants a striker. I didn't see the first half, but Everton should easily be beating Bremen this half and just can't score. They've had like 13 corners, which is where someone like Smith would be very useful.

And as I say that, McFadden scores.

Mama Smurf

Finished 2-2. Good forward play from Everton, pretty dodgy defending on the two goals, but then Lescott and Yobo didn't play the second half and they're their best defenders.

The Premiership is just so strong this year. Derby are screwed, I think Wigan are too unless there's a great signing in the works, and then I really don't know who else will go down.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
woo West Ham won again, beat Norwich 2-1, first half display was super awesome, Boa Morte was on fire, set up 2 goals and only some fine saves from the Norwich keeper stopped it being far worse. Zamora was on fire again, Ashton poached a rebound. Second half was crap though, it was summed up by Carlton Cole coming off the bench and tripping over his own legs the first time the ball came his way.

Lakitu

st5fu
Ghost said:
woo West Ham won again, beat Norwich 2-1, first half display was super awesome, Boa Morte was on fire, set up 2 goals and only some fine saves from the Norwich keeper stopped it being far worse. Zamora was on fire again, Ashton poached a rebound. Second half was crap though, it was summed up by Carlton Cole coming off the bench and tripping over his own legs the first time the ball came his way.

Did Bellamy play?

MrPing1000 said:
I'm currently writing the 2007-2008 thread, if theres no objections I'll be posting it at 12am
I haven't been around long enough to know what protocol is here for the new thread. If you want to preview a bit of it here, I'd be happy to make some comments...

Well feel free to bitch at me if theres stuff missing. Had a go at Hadareud last year ha. But I've included quite a bit of stuff. It has taken me like an hour to do, pretty much done now.

Mama Smurf

I knew if I refused to do it long enugh some sucker would step up to the plate.

Didn't expect it to take until an hour before the date, but I guess you're not all the suckers I thought you were.

Lakitu

st5fu
MrPing1000 said:
Well feel free to bitch at me if theres stuff missing. Had a go at Hadareud last year ha. But I've included quite a bit of stuff. It has taken me like an hour to do, pretty much done now.

As long as it has loads of Liverpool praise, I'm up for it.

Frenck

Banned
No, it was a mix of their A and B lineup with Casillas in goal. Without Casillas it would easily have been 4 or even 5 nil. Even Hannover tried to find excuses for them afterwards saying that they completed training while Real did just began preparing for La Liga 1 week ago.

Sure, it was a meaningless friendly but for a squad that earns 7 times as much as Hannover it was a disgrace.

psycho_snake

I went to WAGs boutique and all I got was a sniff
Mama Smurf said:
I dunno if anyone else is watching, but you can see why Moyes wants a striker. I didn't see the first half, but Everton should easily be beating Bremen this half and just can't score. They've had like 13 corners, which is where someone like Smith would be very useful.

And as I say that, McFadden scores.
Moyes needs a striker, McCarthy's at the game. Coincidence? I think not!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom