• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official "Free" NES/GBA games for 3DS thread of Nintendo's guilt

My God, I couldn't play NES Golf for fifteen minutes, let alone fifteen HOURS. Goddamn

Also, go to Hell for bumping this thread.

Give it a try, it's the GOTY, after Balloon Fight.

Also, its Saturday at 2am. Press releases do not get sent out at this time. You have only yourself to blame for thinking this was GBA news.

@MUWANdo

Banned
(sorry)

Also, its Saturday at 2am. Press releases do not get sent out at this time. You have only yourself to blame for thinking this was GBA news.

We found out the NES games when they randomly went up in a hidden corner of one of the NOJ sites, I wouldn't stress about a press release.

Gravijah

this is a thread for the ambassador games. people shouldn't be getting all up in arms over people discussing them. when the gba games are available, you will know.

Omikaru

I come into this thread expecting myself to say "Oh."

And then, one day, when Nintendo announces the games, I'll open this thread and say, "Oh!"

Basically, yeah, don't get your hopes up with bumps on this thread.

this is a thread for the ambassador games. people shouldn't be getting all up in arms over people discussing them. when the gba games are available, you will know.

Im sure someone will create a thread about them when it's time anyway.

As you said, this is the one and only place to discuss games like Golf and Balloon Fight. If you're not playing those games, youre doing it wrong.

Im sure someone will create a thread about them when it's time anyway.

As you said, this is the one and only place to discuss games like Golf and Balloon Fight. If you're not playing those games, youre doing it wrong.

So sell me on this Golf game. I was excited to hear about when Wario Ware is out but since we're here let us know!

Boney

Banned
Yeah Golf is pretty good and Balloon Trip is amaaaaazing.

The only ones I haven't put much time are Wrecking Crew and Yoshi. And to a lesser extent DK. Jr.

It's entirely possible. The games are running in an emulator, making it very easy to do...

On a related note, it's entirely possible to play Tilt N Tumble (and Wario Ware Twisted, and presumably Yoshi's Universal Gravitation) on the Wii version of VBA using the Wiimote's tilt sensor. Kirby actually plays really well with this setup. (Wario Ware not so much, because the emulator has to skip a lot of frames to run GBA games at full speed.)

I was just randomly playing Drill Dozer on my GBA SP, and it's a shame more people didn't play this brilliant game when it came out - rumble and all. But maybe someday it will at least come to the 3DS as a download. But still...that rumble is pretty key to the experience.

tsab

I was just randomly playing Drill Dozer on my GBA SP, and it's a shame more people didn't play this brilliant game when it came out - rumble and all. But maybe someday it will at least come to the 3DS as a download. But still...that rumble is pretty key to the experience.

Still I can't believe nintendo didn't include rumble in the 3DS, it would be nice.
A Rez port would rock in threeeedeeeee

Berordn

Still I can't believe nintendo didn't include rumble in the 3DS, it would be nice.
A Rez port would rock in threeeedeeeee

I can't imagine rumble would be very intuitive when you have to hold the system fairly steady for 3D.

You're absolutely right, though.

donny2112

The battery life is low enough without rumble.

And the shaking could throw it out of the sweet spot for 3-D. The 3DS really is a one-screen system with some minor uses for the second screen, if the 3-D is heavily used.

If the GBA games become available on a Thursday, that leaves us with Dec. 15, 22, and 29 as options. Figure it'll either be the 22nd as a before-Christmas present or on the 29 as a final swansong to the year. We may actually hear what the other five games will be before then, though. It's a two-edged sword, though. Would you rather get a game you really want as a GBA games or leave the hope that they could be redone as a 3-D Classic?

tsab

And the shaking could throw it out of the sweet spot for 3-D. The 3DS really is a one-screen system with some minor uses for the second screen, if the 3-D is heavily used.

If the GBA games become available on a Thursday, that leaves us with Dec. 15, 22, and 29 as options. Figure it'll either be the 22nd as a before-Christmas present or on the 29 as a final swansong to the year. We may actually hear what the other five games will be before then, though. It's a two-edged sword, though. Would you rather get a game you really want as a GBA games or leave the hope that they could be redone as a 3-D Classic?

As long there is a adhoc multiplayer from day one I don't mind if I get it as a GBA Rom. And hey, if this GBA games are Ambassador-only that mean they MAY remake them in 3D Classics sell them.

I would like to see Super Mario Bros 3 (Advance 4) with the nintendo e-reader support. Emulate it with the qr scanner, Nintendo.

Whatever they do they better add local multiplayer

@MUWANdo

Banned
As long there is a adhoc multiplayer from day one I don't mind if I get it as a GBA Rom. And hey, if this GBA games are Ambassador-only that mean they MAY remake them in 3D Classics sell them.

I would like to see Super Mario Bros 3 (Advance 4) with the nintendo e-reader support. Emulate it with the qr scanner, Nintendo.

Whatever they do they better add local multiplayer

Yeah, you're not getting any of that stuff.

zigg

Emulate it with the qr scanner, Nintendo.
I'm not sure what you're asking for here, but it's definitely impossible to scan an e-reader card with the 3DS' camera. Years ago, I embarked on an experiment to even just print some of the Japanese cards...out of a half-dozen printers (including several lasers) only one could reproduce them in a fashion that the e-reader could actually read... the data is just way too small and involved. On top of that, emulating an e-reader setup would require simultaneously emulating two GBA systems, with a link cable between them, in addition to the e-reader hardware itself...

It's plausible that the level data could be converted to QR codes, but now we're fast approaching remake territory. Might as well make it a 3D Classic now. :)

tsab

Yeah, you're not getting any of that stuff.

You know what? You may be right.

I just visited Nintendo's Ambassador page:
Wireless functions and peripheral devices are not supported.
When you press the HOME Button, a simple menu is displayed, and you won’t be able to return directly to the HOME Menu.
During gameplay, the Nintendo 3DS system will not enter Sleep Mode even if you close it.
SpotPass and StreetPass will not function during gameplay.

According this they will not emulate the games, they will run it natively ala DS mode

:(

I was playing through this game again in my Micro just last week! It is a great platformer, and so much personality! You're right that the game deserves much more exposure than it ever got, but the rumble is really a key element; I couldn't imagine playing it from my G6 card, for instance. Some games you just have to go to the source...

OMG Aero

Drill Dozer probably would have gotten more exposure if they released it in Europe.

I'm still bitter about that and Wario Ware Twisted.

I'm also bitter about Wario Ware twisted, I had my money prepared for that one and the release date just kept changing and changing until it was evidently clear that PAL land wasn't getting squat.
I actually had no idea that Drill Dozer missed Europe until last year, I was wondering why i'd never seen it.

You know, at this point, even I'm a little annoyed that we haven't gotten the GBA games yet.

Meh. I know they're coming so I'm not worried. I've probably already played most of them anyway.

If anything I'm annoyed that other people are annoyed. You'll get them. 3 years from now you won't remember the wait, you'll just fire up Fusion and play through it again.

DCharlie

Banned
I was just randomly playing Drill Dozer on my GBA SP, and it's a shame more people didn't play this brilliant game when it came out

i decided to look into replacing my bashed copy about a year ago and got a brand new sealed copy from Amazon for $1.99 :/

Whilst happy that i could get it back at a bargain price from a dealer on amazon, i felt sad that it was at that level. This should be one of those "OMG HIDDEN GEM" games that people should be desperately hunting for a la Ninja 5-0.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=33449246&postcount=1

Very good selection
Honestly I didn't expect them to give away some of their AAA titles

All of their ambassador games have been AAA quality. The NES games were some of their very best and the first 5 GBA games were top tier stuff as well.

Fire Emblem Sacred Stones is a really nice surprise though! Wasn't expecting that one! (And it's a good choice in the context of the series since it's really designed for beginners) Hopefully it'll give the series some well deserved exposure!

isny

napkin dispenser
Kinda disappointed that they didn't go out of their way to do something like give us an import game.

I guess I can't complain though, I really shouldn't expect much from them anymore =/

OMG Aero

Kinda disappointed that they didn't go out of their way to do something like give us an import game.

I guess I can't complain though, I really shouldn't expect much from them anymore =/

They were never going to go through the effort of translating a game when they have still said that these games are only for ambassadors. For them to do that they'd have to get some money out of them somewhere.

Top Bottom