• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Gran Turismo HD Concept Thread

J-Rzez

truffleshuffle83 said:
bullshit...play pgr3 and play this and if you can honestly say that this demo is better than pgr3 than you are crazy. holy shit a car is coming right at me i think ill wave my arms up in the air
and cheer it on....that said i have no doubt gt5 will be leaps and bounds above pgr3 or 4, but jesus get of the fanboy bullshit

yes i have both systems and yes i play them both, hate to dissapoint you

So... basically... you say GT5 will be leaps and bounds better... and people are saying after playing the demo, they think GT5 will be leaps and bounds better... what's the problem? The demo shows it's going to be better, and that's what people are stating... what's fanboy about it?

If someone says this demo looks and plays better than PGR, then so be it... I think it is too... but, arcade-style racers are on a lower-level in my opinion...

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Jesus, can people shut the **** up about PGR3. The Xbox fanboys on this forum are like ****en mormons/jehovas witnesses, they need to show you the light!

Christopher said:
Hopefully. Blessing in disguise last time the mass banning thing happened, I look to read about GT:HD not to hear how such and such about PGR3.

Yeah good luck with that. If GAF history tells us anything is that we'll be seeing Forza 2 and PGR3 show up in GT threads and GT will pop up in Forza and PGR ones.

Nozi

Banned
Been playing for the past few hours, finally got on the playstation network.

First off.. I'm disappointed in the graphics. GAF got me so hyped for this, and it just didn't deliver, in any regard.

The default gameplay camera just looked unimpressive to me. Mountains and scenery look like they are washed in the same flat lighting and trees are instanced 2D cards.. it's SOLID enough, with some good texture blending and so forth, but I expected a lot more after reading so much gushing praise. Jaggies aplenty and HDR looks tacked on too.

On the other hand, the replays look fantastic. 30 fps doesn't bother me.

As for gameplay.. it feels smooth, handles well and generally should please any GT fan. The sound effects are weak however. I want some good engine growl.

I'm going to go back later. It has the same addictive qualities of most GT games, and the controls are tight enough to make me want to improve my times.

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
Bebpo said:
How many more years until we can get rid of the staircase jagged shadows? GT6?

Fix the shadows, add 4x AA and PD will have created cars that can be mistaken for real life.

Seems like a lot of games are using similar shadow techniques. They have some weaknesses mainly because of memory constraints for big realtime shadow maps. There are ways around it but they can cause other quality issues or become expensive.

truffleshuffle83 said:
bullshit...play pgr3 and play this and if you can honestly say that this demo is better than pgr3 than you are crazy. holy shit a car is coming right at me i think ill wave my arms up in the air
and cheer it on....that said i have no doubt gt5 will be leaps and bounds above pgr3 or 4, but jesus get of the fanboy bullshit

pgr3 looks kind of cartoony...gt doesnt... as a car sim |I think gt looks more impressive period....I think the merits of pgr3 are being overblown here... the game looks great but not what soem peeps are making it out to be

peace

Nozi said:

First off.. I'm disappointed in the graphics. GAF got me so hyped for this, and it just didn't deliver, in any regard.

The default gameplay camera just looked unimpressive to me. Mountains and scenery look like they are washed in the same flat lighting and trees are instanced 2D cards.. it's SOLID enough, with some good texture blending and so forth, but I expected a lot more after reading so much gushing praise. Jaggies aplenty and HDR looks tacked on too.

As for gameplay.. it feels smooth, handles well and generally should please any GT fan. The sound effects are weak however. I want some good engine growl.

I'm going to go back later. It has the same addictive qualities of most GT games, and the controls are tight enough to make me want to improve my times.

thats what hype does though....if you listen to much to gaf any game will fall short...

peace

Just downloaded one of blimblim's vids. The lighting/models look better than anything I've seen yet, sound is great too.

Nozi said:

Oh Nozi... One of the xbox fanboys who (supposedly) bought a PS3 and have nothing but negative comments about every ****ing thing about it. Expected post.

BlueTsunami said:
Jesus, can people shut the **** up about PGR3. The Xbox fanboys on this forum are like ****en mormons/jehovas witnesses, they need to show you the light!

:lol

Flo_Evans

nathkenn said:
Seems like a lot of games are using similar shadow techniques. They have some weaknesses mainly because of memory constraints for big realtime shadow maps. There are ways around it but they can cause other quality issues or become expensive.

so every surface that can potentialy cast a shadow on itself has to have an individual bitmap for it? Is the only way around this actual raytracing that would be far more taxing?

Diatribe said:

50" I am using HDMI, the components are for the PS2 and GH2 last night :)

Kittonwy

Banned
Nozi said:

What?

anyone else think they will downgrade the car models a little for the final release? The final game will probably have like 20 cars on screen so I doubt they will all be this detailed (minus the lod craP :p) I mean these cars are very high poly!

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The people who say this is purely GT4 in HD are ****en insane. In the case of the track and some of the environment, yes thats the case. But the actual Mountain backdrop, Lighting and car models are all jaw droppingly nice.

Doom_Bringer said:
anyone else think they will downgrade the car models a little for the final release? The final game will probably have like 20 cars on screen so I doubt they will all be this detailed (minus the lod craP :p) I mean these cars are very high poly!

There isn't going to be a final release. After this comes GT5.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
_leech_ said:
There isn't going to be a final release. After this comes GT5.

This is using the beginnings of GT5 engine last time I checked, so what he's asking is valid.

I'm actually very curious to see how this game looks with a full field of cars.

edit:

Oh wait the continued expansion of this demo yeah I believe that's planned still, but no idea what form it's going to take.

Shabaz

Neo Member
truffleshuffle83 said:

Are you insane? Going by the content of your post you think PGR3 is better because people in GT stand in front of the car and wave, like they do in real life races like Dakar and Baha.

You didn't dissapoint anyone here, your opinion doesn't override everyones eyes.

Bebpo

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:

Uh, this isn't F1 :p I'm expecting 8, 12, or (doubt it) 16 cars per race. Still a lot of high-poly vehicles + hopefully high-poly track, but that's a lot more doable than 20 cars :p

Rengoku

truffleshuffle83 said:

You call us crazy and label us as fanboys when we don't agree with your opinion, and you expect us to respect yours?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Doom_Bringer said:
Weren't they planning to add more tracks and car damage through microtransactions? And I was talking about GT5 originally

I thought they said the other add-ons were going to be free like this demo too.

Doom_Bringer said:

Jup I think so too. However, then it would be a very strange decision to put out GTHD with it's detailed cars as it is now.

Of course, I don't rule out the possibility of there being only 6 cars per race in GT5.

Or maybe we will be all blown away with twenty cars of this detail, including damage and dynamic weather effects, during a race.

Bebpo said:
Uh, this isn't F1 :p I'm expecting 8, 12, or (doubt it) 16 cars per race. Still a lot of high-poly vehicles + hopefully high-poly track, but that's a lot more doable than 20 cars :p

I am going by the vision trailer they showed at E3 2004. Its pretty obvious they want to take total advantage of the hardware and the game is due in 2008.

928379_20050516_screen003.jpg

We will see if the Cell is all it's cracked up to be

Flo_Evans

I want a photomode so bad in this demo. You know what I really want for GT5 is a director mode where you have full control over a video camera and can animate pans and zooms then edit your footage later and put titles on it and then send it to your friends PS3.

come on PD.. use that HDD :D

mckmas8808

Doom_Bringer said:
I am going by the vision trailer they showed at E3 2004. Its pretty obvious they want to take total advantage of the hardware and the game is due in 2008.

i don't see GT5 having 20 cars with this kind of detail.

da4cb15c0a.jpg

I personally don't see it. Maybe 8, but not 20. It would look like a real city street with real life cars if so. :lol

Nozi

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:

GT:HD's replay mode looks better than that shot to me, I'm sure they can pull that off without a doubt.

Kangu

Banned
Bebpo said:

Well Vision GT or whatever it was called had something like 20 cars in a race, and the whole idea of that video was thta it was giving us a taste of what they wanted to have in GT5. So, hopefully we'll have close to that amount of cars on screen.

The cars really aren't that high poly from what I've read anyway. Just like the cars in GT4 weren't that high poly yet managed to look very good compared to something higher poly like PGR. Polyphony just knows how to make efficent use of polygons.

The tracks are definitely GTHD at the moment, but this game is way too early to complain.

mckmas8808

Flo_Evans said:
I want a photomode so bad in this demo. You know what I really want for GT5 is a director mode where you have full control over a video camera and can animate pans and zooms then edit your footage later and put titles on it and then send it to your friends PS3.

come on PD.. use that HDD :D

Smartest man in this thread. PD hire Flo. :)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Doom_Bringer said:

Those are GT4 models just on a new track. It's not like GTHD at all.

Y2Kevbug11 said:

The trailer was called VISION GT. It was giving us a taste of what we would in GT5.

mckmas8808 said:
i don't see GT5 having 20 cars with this kind of detail.

da4cb15c0a.jpg

I personally don't see it. Maybe 8, but not 20. It would look like a real city street with real life cars if so. :lol

Well if they have a good LOD engine that minimizes pop ups then anything is possible. 20 is stretching it, I would say at least 12 maybe 15 or 16

Flo_Evans

mckmas8808 said:
Smartest man in this thread. PD hire Flo. :)

I would gladly be PDs Che :D

here is a pic of the wire miata (not sure if this is the final one)

untitled1za3.jpg

not really super high poly, but very efficient.

edit: blah GTplanet.net is awsome!

edit: uh... nevermind that is the PS2 model :lol

here is the PS3 one:

untitled2ku4.jpg

O_O

Kangu

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:

It's not even a new track. But the point is when Kaz displayed this footage he said this was a 'vision' of what they wanted in the next GT in terms of features.

p3tran

Banned
..so lets return to the TOPIC! :)

I think everybody can agree that given what GTHD is (a work-in-progress-demo-gift) the work being done on the hi-def cars is very sweet! 8)

the scenery looks like it has not being worked at the same level as the cars, which is very reasonable too.
great replays with very nice camera placement. looks almost real.
handling according to the people that live out of europe (and actually have ps3's) is also a enhanced, cars now having better feel of their weight etc. very good.
global online timetables are already up.
a glitch might be present in the game because of reports of impossible times. something to do with the tunnel. hopefully it can be patched in the future.

lets agree on this summary and keep thread on GTHD please. some people may like racing games more than 360 or ps3 or wii or whathaveyou.

merry xmas to all.

jett

D-Member
gofreak said:
I really like the jazzy music btw :p Suitably sophisticated.

That fusion/jazz music will disappear from the american GT5, just like every other game in the franchise before it. SCEA are a bunch of dumb****s! Here's to hoping for customized soundtracks. :p

Flo_Evans

jett said:
That fusion/jazz music will disappear from the american GT5, just like every other game in the franchise before it. SCEA are a bunch of dumb****s! Here's to hoping for customized soundtracks. :p

PS3 region free FTW :)

gbovo

jett said:
I hope not. Seeing as Phil Harrison is now in charge of game development, he might prefer keeping the classy menu music in all versions of GT5.

RavenFox

Banned
J-Rzez said:
Do you know what physics are? While you're in a corner, you're car's going to slow down because of PHYSICS... You SLOW DOWN WHEN NOT GIVING GAS... No thrust, G-forces in turn are more significant, not in a straight line equals loss of speed... it's not hard to imagine... This is real life, this is how it happens...

Or are you talking about the over-emphasis of the driving aids? Turn off the traction control and especially yaw/stability control...

I blame NFSU's, PGR, Burnout for people not understanding what real physics are anymore...

I can get in the Evo IX and it's so damn close to my VIII in real life it's scarey... I can for once actually predict what the car's going to do, and it does it with the subtle inputs... I'm so getting that Uber-wheel, no doubt...

I hope KY goes all out and hits up some lossless audio on this game as well... And I'm really surprised that the cars pretty much all sound individual now... Come on Denon, don't let me down this coming year... Gimme a great 1.3HDMI unit...

And no more PGR non-sense in here, make another thread and do that if you want to... maybe you can get some symphasisers in there... Like others said, PGR looks good in video-gamish way, this looks amazing real life wise... and PGR isn't running 1080p/60 steady...

This is the new bar to graphics right now, and it's a ****in' incomplete concept demo...

Nuff f***ing said right there.

Flo_Evans said:
I would gladly be PDs Che :D

here is a pic of the wire miata (not sure if this is the final one)

untitled1za3.jpg

not really super high poly, but very efficient.

edit: blah GTplanet.net is awsome!

edit: uh... nevermind that is the PS2 model :lol

here is the PS3 one:

untitled2ku4.jpg

O_O

Ok, guess i was wrong :lol

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
jett said:

Eh, the only thing 'localized' in the US version is the race music. The menu soundtracks remain the same.

gbovo said:
I hope not. Seeing as Phil Harrison is now in charge of game development, he might prefer keeping the classy menu music in all versions of GT5.

The European version of GT4 did have that music, didn't it?

What music was in the US version?

Ah never mind.

Top Bottom