• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Gran Turismo HD Concept Thread

jett

D-Member
The final GT5 better have 20 cars on-screen, with that level of detail, fully modeled drivers and co-pilots(for rally) and fully modeled interiors, at 60fps in-gameplay and replay. Otherwise it's bullshit.

Oh yeah and a damage model. Now start cracking them whips Kaz!

GHG

Gold Member
jett said:
The final GT5 better have 20 cars on-screen, with that level of detail, fully modeled drivers and co-pilots(for rally) and fully modeled interiors, at 60fps in-gameplay and replay. Otherwise it's bullshit.

Bullshit? Why? 8-10 cars will suffice. Forza 2 wont even have half of what you listed above so I couldn't give a damn.

Main thing for the PD boys to nail down is an in-car view. They look to be heading that way as they are fully modeling the interiors of all the cars as well now.

I just remembered, werent there supposed to be motorcycles in GTHD?

That was GT:HD Classic, which was scrapped.

Angelcurio

Doom_Bringer said:
I am going by the vision trailer they showed at E3 2004. Its pretty obvious they want to take total advantage of the hardware and the game is due in 2008.

928379_20050516_screen003.jpg

We will see if the Cell is all it's cracked up to be
Besides the huge amount of cars on screen at the same time, the GT:HD demo already surpasses the Vision GT trailer.

GHG said:
Bullshit? Why? 8-10 cars will suffice. Forza 2 wont even have half of what you listed above so I couldn't give a damn.

Main thing for the PD boys to nail down is an in-car view. They look to be heading that way as they are fully modeling the interiors of all the cars as well now.

12 to be exact. About right I think

Interiors would be nice, but for immersion it is not even that important. When driving a car irl the interior is something you don't really pay attention to. A dashboard view combined with the DFP wheel should be enough.

gbovo

jett said:

dude, temper your expectations and you won't be disappointed ;)

GHG

Gold Member
PjotrStroganov said:
12 to be exact. About right I think

Interiors would be nice, but for immersion it is not even that important. When driving a car irl the interior is something you don't really pay attention to. A dashboard view combined with the DFP wheel should be enough.

Like so?:

cockpitviewwo5.jpg

I agree it will be enough, but PD are perfectionists. They are insisting on modelling the full interior of each car. I don't know why though... Maybe its for replay showcase purposes.

Vision GT says hello

Sorry, but are you blind? Or are you just naive? Have you seen the car models in vision compared to this latest demo :lol ?

jett said:

Christ that's a tall order.

Consider we still seem to be having an issue of the lack of good number 60 fps even in racers and let alone 20 car races especially at that detail and the only 1080p 60 fps racer looks barely like it's the same generation in comparison.....um....yeah...

jett said:
Vision GT says hello.

Rendering 20 GT4 model level cars also says something else. Like just two cars in GTHD would equal roughly 20 of those cars you saw in Vision GT.

It is what it is, a vision, an idea.

jett

D-Member
Vision GT was supposed to show us some of the features that were going to make into GT5. It wasn't about showing us "HEY WE CAN RENDER 20 PS2-LEVEL MODELS ON THE PS3 LULZ!" Dur dur dur.

If GT once again has a minimal amount of cars well then it's going to be disappointing, I don't care how detailed those models are. :p The only reason those screenshots excite me is because I'm picturing 20 of those cars on the track.

Flo_Evans

I played around with the diffrent tire compounds. They are pretty much the same as GT4s, I prefer the N1~3s as these are the closest to street tires we drive everyday on. N1 is your standard OEM all weather tire i.e. its sucks! N2 is a move up to a high performance all season like michelin pilots. N3 is like dry only high performace like an yokohama AVS sport.

yo_avs_sport.jpg

The S tires are pretty much track tires in varouis hardness. These are what you want to bring to your track weekend to burn up if you got the $$$ :)

yo_a032r.jpg

Rs are racing slicks like hoosiers and should really only be used for record setting or on the celica.

ho_a6_ci2_l.jpg

Kangu

Banned
I'm with jett on this one. It's time for GT to evolve. The actual gameplay differences between GT1 and GT4 are so small it's embarassing. If we get 6 car racing with no damage and no weather and no significant improvements again, I'm calling for Kaz to get fired.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Kangu said:
I'm with jett on this one. It's time for GT to evolve. The actual gameplay differences between GT1 and GT4 are so small it's embarassing. If we get 6 car racing with no damage and no weather and no significant improvements again, I'm calling for Kaz to get fired.

But Kaz has already said that damage and weather will be in the game.

Flo_Evans

yeah lets fire Kaz a man obvouisly passionate about cars and responsible for one of Sonys best selling 1st part franchises.

<rolleyes.gif>

nathkenn

Borg Artiste
Flo_Evans said:
so every surface that can potentialy cast a shadow on itself has to have an individual bitmap for it? Is the only way around this actual raytracing that would be far more taxing?

50" I am using HDMI, the components are for the PS2 and GH2 last night :)

No, it's more like a shadow map you would render in software rendering. It's rendered for the whole screen then applied as a post effect sort of. This requires a huge map to look any good. It also looks better at certain angles and lighting situations. It's all just a issue of resource managment and optimizations. I think better algorithims will come probably come about.

Ranger X

cockpitviewwo5.jpg

Why not in the demo Poly? WHYYY?????

I NEED my cockpit view. That's obviously the only usefull reason the insides of the car is modeled.

Flo_Evans

AlphaSnake said:
I hate you. Why do you have like #1 in everything?

cause he is sqweaky clean and has awsome lines! I prefer to light up the tires out of corners and while fun, its not as fast :D

Are you using a wheel rainbow?

That reminds me... I haven't even really tried the drift mode.

Damn I hope they give is a bike to try around this track.

Ploid 3.0

Remember rainbow tearing up our GT3 time attacks? He was first all the way through, I think there was someone else getting close to him (maybe Mashoutposse). Rainbow is the GT freak.

No wheel,just the controller.I believe to be a bit faster with a wheel but not by much.i should have one by next week.

In the meantime Alpha,I won't touch the demo for a good 2-4 days,so I give those free days to you for christmas :lol

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Ranger X said:
cockpitviewwo5.jpg

Why not in the demo Poly? WHYYY?????

I NEED my cockpit view. That's obviously the only usefull reason the insides of the car is modeled.

Oh god that does look hot

Whats the story with that pic? Why wasn't this view in the Demo?

Wario64 said:
The user manual says the rankings are weekly...kinda wished they would hold overall rankings too

Yeah.But on the other hand more people will have a chance to place in the top 10,a good thing for less skilled players.

gbovo

RainbowL33T said:
Yeah.But on the other hand more people will have a chance to place in the top 10,a good thing for less skilled players.
What would YOU know about being a less skilled player. :rolleyes

Beatbox

alien from planet Highscore
RainbowL33T said:
No wheel,just the controller.I believe to be a bit faster with a wheel but not by much.i should have one by next week.

In the meantime Alpha,I won't touch the demo for a good 2-4 days,so I give those free days to you for christmas :lol

Thanks :) I managed to sneak by you on two times earlier today. Ho ho ho. Merry Christmas

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
RainbowL33T said:

I hate you. =(

I'm just barely placing outside of the top 10. I get frustrated after 3 or 4 attempts and I stop.

carlos

So I'm assuming due to the number of replies, that the PS store is up and running again?
I tried to dl it a few times yesterday, but it stopped at 0% and then the connection timed out....

BlueTsunami

Nozi said:
Anyone noticed the trees don't cast shadows onto your car?

Seeing how their are inconsistencies with the environments, I wouldn't be surprised if the shadows being casted by the trees are pre baked.

Nozi

Banned
BlueTsunami said:
Seeing how their are inconsistencies with the environments, I wouldn't be surprised if the shadows being casted by the trees are pre baked.

Even if they're pre-baked, it's still a shadow map pass over the track.. thats fairly easy to cast onto realtime objects, plenty of games do it.

BlueTsunami

Nozi said:
Even if they're pre-baked, it's still a shadow map pass over the track.. thats fairly easy to cast onto realtime objects, plenty of games do it.

Ah I see what you mean. Guess theres a disconnect between the actual environment and car models and lighting thats effecting the cars.

Norse

the cars look amazing....that in car view looks incredible. Is that in game as well? The roads look ok, but the surroundings dont look as good as they should. But this is just a free demo for everyone to enjoy and as such looks great. Damnit! Now I have to look for a 60 gig ps3 again this week. hehe.....just ordered my hdmi, and dvi-hdcp cards for my plasma. Cant wait to give this game a spin.

Hows the sense of speed? I always thought the GT's on ps2 seemed slow. Does this one appear faster? Thanks for any answers.

Kangu

Banned
mckmas8808 said:
But Kaz has already said that damage and weather will be in the game.

If there's one thing I've learned after anticipating and playing 4 GT games it's that Kaz says a lot of things.

And if he can't advance the gameplay in the 5th iteration he should definitely step down, passionate about cars or not because his priorities are out of whack.

Norse said:
Hows the sense of speed? I always thought the GT's on ps2 seemed slow. Does this one appear faster? Thanks for any answers.
Play in first-person view, I think the sense of speed is good from there, it feels faster and is more fun.

Norse

Beatbox said:
No you're wrong...just like all your Sony related posts.

Sense of speed is key on - doing 80 feels just like 80 and so on.

first person view or outside of car? Why have perty cars if you cant have yours on the screen?

Top Bottom