• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Gran Turismo HD Concept Thread

Zaptruder

Banned
Amir0x said:
I would maybe if i was rich

yeah the other 450 are downloadable. (sry had to)

Would be a pretty good deal if GT5 came with 200 cars at this detail.

As long as 50 of them aren't variations of other cars...

1 dollar per car alacarte, or a 10 bucks per 20 car pack is pretty good value if they plan on releasing new cars onto the market after they release GT5.

No doubt people here will bitch and moan, exasperated at why GT5 didn't include them in the first place, but if the alternative is 200 cars only for the next 2-3 years, I'm more than fine with them releasing new cars onto the marketplace.

lunlunqq said:
Merry Christmas every one!!! More pics to celebrate! All credits to sunix at TGFC forum.

*crapton of pics*

I shall express my reaction to these GTHD pics with pics....

The Honda Integra Type R and Mitsubishi Lancer Evolutions:
amazed.JPG

The Infinity:
amazed-woman.jpg

The Ferrari:
shocked.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
yeah i probably wouldn't complain if it had 200~, unless they started getting really annoying with it and like intentionally kept the best shit to downloadables. I guess we'd have to see the balance they strike.

And of course, GT5 needs damage and online or no buy!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Amir0x said:
yeah i probably wouldn't complain if it had 200~, unless they started getting really annoying with it and like intentionally kept the best shit to downloadables. I guess we'd have to see the balance they strike.

And of course, GT5 needs damage and online or no buy!

Online an AI are important. I still say damage is bullshit. Online will fix the AI problem easily, but for single player races, AI is huge. I think it's really time they put in competitive AI and that kind of thing.

Damage is kind of stupid. It can only be cosmetic, or else any serious damage would just wreck your car and drop you out of a race. A lot of people say it would prevent "bumpering" and stuff, but they adjusted that in GT4 by adding time penalties if you hit another car.

Damage will be nice and it is always pretty to look at your dinged up hood and go "ooooh," but it's completely unnecessary IMO, ESPECIALLY if it is taking up processor cycles that could go to something else or whatever.

Amir0x

Banned
Gran Turismo is a racing sim, if you simulate crashing into a car i want to see damage. Plus, Forza is already gonna do this so there's no excuse.

Scoot said:
In 2008 when it comes out, yeah!

That's earlier than I intended to get a PS3 though! In 2013 is my current goal!

Zaptruder

Banned
Amir0x said:
Gran Turismo is a racing sim, if you simulate crashing into a car i want to see damage. Plus, Forza is already gonna do this so there's no excuse.

Forza doesn't do it very accurately at all... it's kinda similar to GTA games. Damage modelling there too, but very arcadey.

No... if you crash into a wall, I want the car totalled completely and the race over.

Hell, tap a car too hard, and you lose large chunks of the car which may or may not put the car out of commission.

I want people to respect the idea of tearing down a track at 300km/h.

****ing 'no sense of speed' complaintards.

Amir0x

Banned
Zaptruder said:
Forza doesn't do it very accurately at all... it's kinda similar to GTA games. Damage modelling there too, but very arcadey.

Well obviously it's not all that realistic, I suspect last-gen technology prevented that. I was speaking about Forza 2 when talking about the damage, but the fact that the original did it as well is legitimate. After all, realistic or no, it's still slightly more realistic to see some damage when you crash then none at all.

Anyway, i'm like you, I want that shit to be hardline. But I'm a hardline type of dude. At the very least, I wish for an option where I can turn it on.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Amir0x said:
Well obviously it's not all that realistic, I suspect last-gen technology prevented that. I was speaking about Forza 2 when talking about the damage, but the fact that the original did it as well is legitimate. After all, realistic or no, it's still slightly more realistic to see some damage when you crash then none at all.

Anyway, i'm like you, I want that shit to be hardline. But I'm a hardline type of dude. At the very least, I wish for an option where I can turn it on.

I dunno about realism! Hitting anything at >50 mph could ruin your ride! :lol

Zaptruder

Banned
Amir0x said:

The irony is that there was a damage multiplier that was locked in game (but could be changed with a bit of hacking) that gave a much more realistic sense of damage in Forza... as in tap and your screwed type damage.

Definetly, if games do damage, they need to offer multiple options for players; arcadey style damage, realistic style damage and none at all for the pussies.

Gran Turismo would've done very well to offer the license style ruleset to actual racing; tap something hard enough and the race comes to a halt (license test also had, go out of bounds and race comes to stop too)... unfortunately they didn't :/

I noticed this post about GT HD on AVS forum.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=773344&page=2

Someone posted this pic and said it looks better than anything out there. A supposed developer said this:

GTcompaintegra.jpg

I doubt it. The Xbox 360's rendering hardware beats the PS3's, it's unlikely the PS3 will ever be able to visually beat the best the 360 has to offer.

Then....

Nope, I usually just refer to it as the gpu, but I figured I'd spell it out in case that acronym wasn't familiar. I'm a 360/PS3 programmer by trade, focusing on graphics and optimization. It's fairly rare that I post, but I just got off a long crunch and have been browsing the forums more than normal to unwind Incidentally most of that crunch was spent trying to get the PS3 to match the 360's frame rate. It falls short, but it hits 30fps so we're ok.

The Gran Turismo image posted above is a good shot, but its a testament to the talent of the dev crew, not just the hardware. Vertex/pixel shaders are written in HLSL and can be compiled to run on either PS3/360 although you can tweak them to suit the console. I guess my point here is that if you take that same vehicle 3d model and those same shaders that make it look all pretty, and compile/run them on the 360, it will look the same and run at a higher framerate than on the PS3. This is because the PS3's gpu isn't as good as the 360's.

I reread my other post on a different thread, hopefully it didn't come off too negative. Just to be clear, 'isn't as good' is all relative. The PS3's gpu is far better than the typical 6 series geforce found in peoples pc's. It's just that in this round, Microsoft chose better on the video side (cpu side is debatable). Likewise just to be clear, I don't favor Microsoft or Sony as far as companies go, having either be a landslide winner would be bad for us all. Fortunately it's expected that they will have similar market share in this generation which should lead to awesome competition Anisotropic filtering wouldn't help much in that shot of the car, its big benefit is when the camera is looking at geometry at shallow angles. Anti aliasing helps, except that the PS3 can't do anti aliasing with a floating point render buffer (360 can), which limits things somewhat.

Still though, assuming basic bilinear filtering and no antialising, the 360 will still run it faster.

Hmm, interesting post.

Kittonwy

Banned
Y2Kevbug11 said:
I dunno about realism! Hitting anything at >50 mph could ruin your ride! :lol

Hitting another vehicle even at 20-30mph can potentially total your front end, the game should go into a "YOU ARE DEAD" screen when hitting anything at 60mph.

Interesting he says the runs better at higher framerate part since we have yet to see something else that looks like this running at 60 fps let alone 1080p.

We seem to be having a 60 fps shortage from devs this generation.

gbovo

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Interesting he says the runs better at higher framerate part since we have yet to see something else that looks like this running at 60 fps let alone 1080p.

I wonder why devs always feel so insecure whenever Polyphony shows off their new game ;)

DCharlie

Banned
one TINY thing i'd like them to add is environmental consequences. I had an OTT moan about this prior, but in truth it wouldn't alter too much, but i'd like to see it happen :

if you are racing on a track cut into the side of a mountain, with a large drop to the left, i want to be punished for falling off the left - which would add more to the tension of actually racing in that particular environment.

I'm not asking for this to be totally RSC2 , but just some context/consequence for the awesome environments would really help.

Zaptruder

Banned
DCharlie said:
one TINY thing i'd like them to add is environmental consequences. I had an OTT moan about this prior, but in truth it wouldn't alter too much, but i'd like to see it happen :

if you are racing on a track cut into the side of a mountain, with a large drop to the left, i want to be punished for falling off the left - which would add more to the tension of actually racing in that particular environment.

I'm not asking for this to be totally RSC2 , but just some context/consequence for the awesome environments would really help.

YOU ARE DEAD.

Press (X) to restart career mode.

Norse

HomerSimpson-Man said:

to be fair, I see a big difference between the replay and gameplay shots. The replays could look like black and white cartoons for all I care. The gameplay shots have nice cars but the rest isnt all that great. The backgrounds look kind of flat. Almost like a photo put up.

Also, are there any other cars in game besides the one you are driving? that would have a pretty good hit on fps at 1080p.

dude this is just a tiny hint of what's to come. The engine right now is probably highly unoptimized and the AI probably being worked on. And they have made a lot of improvements over the TGS demo. I was doubting PD a couple of months ago but they have really put their act together. GT5 is gonna rock!

Norse

Doom_Bringer said:
dude this is just a tiny hint of what's to come. The engine right now is probably highly unoptimized and the AI probably being worked on. And they have made a lot of improvements over the TGS demo. I was doubting PD a couple of months ago but they have really put their act together. GT5 is gonna rock!

exactly...but as they optimize it they will add more and more to it. Question is will gameplay graphics ever reach the replay graphcs? And will it still run at 1080p 60 fps with another 10-20 cars on the track with you?

I agree the cars look good, but it seems everyone wants to post replay screenshots instead of in game shots. And theres a big difference between the two.

Norse said:
exactly...but as they optimize it they will add more and more to it. Question is will gameplay graphics ever reach the replay graphcs? And will it still run at 1080p 60 fps with another 10-20 cars on the track with you?

I agree the cars look good, but it seems everyone wants to post replay screenshots instead of in game shots. And theres a big difference between the two.

I am sure they will add motion blur to the gameplay later. The most impressive thing about this demo is the car models and you really don't get a good view of the models during gameplay, therefore people are posting replay shots! I mean the track is PS2 quality right now, so **** that shit :lol

BTW PD locks their games at 60FPS and GT4 on PS2 ran at 1080i at 60 FPS. In other words they make deals with the devil himself. To think that GT5 will have slowdown or run at 30 FPS is utterly ridiculous

PG2G

Norse said:
to be fair, I see a big difference between the replay and gameplay shots. The replays could look like black and white cartoons for all I care. The gameplay shots have nice cars but the rest isnt all that great. The backgrounds look kind of flat. Almost like a photo put up.

Glad I'm not the only one. The game looks amazing in the replay screens, but its a lot less impressive in the actual gameplay screens. Don't know whether this is the result of post processing in the replays, or just better angles.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Doom_Bringer said:
GT4 on PS2 ran at 1080i at 60 FPS.
This right here needs to be emphasized. PD are the about the only people on the planet capable of making you say, "Wait, this system can do that?!"

Seriously who knew the PS2 was even capable of 1080i before GT4, let alone with graphics that good and at 60fps. It's way too premature to be predicting how GT5 or GT6 will end up, we just have no idea

kenta said:
This right here needs to be emphasized. PD are the about the only people on the planet capable of making you say, "Wait, this system can do that?!"

Seriously who knew the PS2 was even capable of 1080i before GT4, let alone with graphics that good and at 60fps. It's way too premature to be predicting how GT5 or GT6 will end up, we just have no idea

Seriously! PD rocks! Why did I ever doubt them? :(

Anyone seen SSX? Haven't seen him in a while! He should be laying the owange on me right now

DCharlie

Banned
YOU ARE DEAD.

Press (X) to restart career mode.

ha ha - well, obviously that would be OTT but maybe do want that?

There are a lot of hardcore players out there who might want it :)
MY OPTIONS LET ME LET YOU USE THEM

Where is SSX ? i am somewhat concerned.

Kittonwy

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
:lol

No way man!

GAF doesn't make me sleep on the couch when I've been bad. I don't have to buy GAF flowers the next day pretending I'm sorry. There's no anniversary of any kind that GAF would force me to remember.
angry.gif

ok, im not going to read through the whole thread to find the answer, but can someone please tell me what resolutions this demo supports? and if it will run at 1080i fine? or what it upscales or downscales to if you only have 1080i?

belvedere

Junior Butler
DarkJediKnight said:
I noticed this post about GT HD on AVS forum. Someone posted this pic and said it looks better than anything out there. A supposed developer said this:

GTcompaintegra.jpg

Then....

Hmm, interesting post.

Interesting, I guess they've forgotten about Cell.
If the UL crew can get that garbage game running AS,AA and volumeteric clouds running on a single SPU, then I guess this guy is developing the next video poker game...

Bebpo

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
I noticed this post about GT HD on AVS forum. Someone posted this pic and said it looks better than anything out there. A supposed developer said this:

Then....

Hmm, interesting post.

Despite everyone else jumping on this guy, I think the most interesting thing here is the statement that it's hard for PS3 games to have any AA at all. PS2 all over again?

Resistance seems to use AA though, as does Genji 2, but then again both are 30fps. Is 60fps + AA going to be very rare on the PS3?

To be fair though, X360 seems to have a much worse issue with v-sync than the PS3 (in fact, me and duckroll are beginning to think the PS3 hardware FORCES v-sync on, which is the reason why there's more slowdown in several PS3 versions of games compared to the X360 ones). So somehow I get the feeling it'll be jaggy PS3 titles vs. screen-tearing X360 titles. Both options suck here :(

rkenshin

Can't wait to take those awesome looking car models and send it through a few walls because car damage will reign supreme in GT5!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Bebpo said:
Despite everyone else jumping on this guy, I think the most interesting thing here is the statement that it's hard for PS3 games to have any AA at all. PS2 all over again?

Resistance seems to use AA though, as does Genji 2, but then again both are 30fps. Is 60fps + AA going to be very rare on the PS3?

To be fair though, X360 seems to have a much worse issue with v-sync than the PS3 (in fact, me and duckroll are beginning to think the PS3 hardware FORCES v-sync on, which is the reason why there's more slowdown in several PS3 versions of games compared to the X360 ones). So somehow I get the feeling it'll be jaggy PS3 titles vs. screen-tearing X360 titles. Both options suck here :(

Microsoft addressed the fact of v-sync problems at the least gamefest when they tried to explain to developers to stop rendering their frames to immediate. What has come out of this, I dunno. Maybe element can explain more.

Kittonwy

Banned
DarkJediKnight said:
This is a photoshop right? That's ridiculous!! The cars look so good, the background looks bland in comparison.

Not a photoshop. Pause the game anytime during replay and take a shot.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Bebpo said:
I've had some rare instances of tearing in Resistance. I have proof if you want :p

Top Bottom