• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Gran Turismo HD Concept Thread

RaijinFY

Resistance seems to use AA though, as does Genji 2, but then again both are 30fps. Is 60fps + AA going to be very rare on the PS3?

More importantly both are running at 720p... and are finished games.

I would like to know how many cars per race Forza II is aiming at?

antiloop

The pictures lunlunqq posted at page 21. OMG. :)

BTW :lol at those trying to downplay this with words. Show us a racing game more realistic looking graphicswise in 1080p 60 FPS.

Creds to PD.

People who want realistic damage should play the PC version of the last Toca game. Crashing in a wall frontally will make good use of the crumple zone of the car.:lol

It would be nice for GT5 to have that. And if you don't like it.... just switch it off. This probably won't be possible in the career mode but I'm sure that other modes and time trials will have this option.

John_B said:
You are not a fan, please do not buy this game. Kaz and the rest of his crew is delivering exactly what the fans wants. F*** the gimmicks, we don't want them. We just want the cars, and we want to race them.

I thought I recognised your name from the GT Planet forum. Might you be JohnBM01?

If not, it doesn't matter. But as a frequent visitor of those forums, I have found out that the most hardcore fans are the people who critique the GT series the most and certainly aren't taking everything that PD puts out for granted.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Bebpo said:
Despite everyone else jumping on this guy, I think the most interesting thing here is the statement that it's hard for PS3 games to have any AA at all. PS2 all over again?
The most interesting part here is that after 6 years, some people still lambast PS2 about so called "lack of AA" that was virtually never used by competition to begin with.
I'd understand if this was some kind of a standard, but with PS2, DC, and GCN combined, we still have less then a handful commercial titles that shipped with any kind of FSAA (and at least 2 of them were on PS2).

At any rate, there are devs that went on the record to say exact opposite about practicality of AA on 360/PS3, and they don't hide behind anonymity either. Not that any of this matters to Jpn developed titles - they are notorious for IQ issues on all platforms.

Double H

PjotrStroganov said:
John_B said:
You are not a fan, please do not buy this game. Kaz and the rest of his crew is delivering exactly what the fans wants. F*** the gimmicks, we don't want them. We just want the cars, and we want to race them.
I thought I recognised your name from the GT Planet forum. Might you be JohnBM01?
Highly unlikely, JohnBM01’s posts are redundant in length and seem to get sidetracked amidst the many endless and waffley sentences.

The Images, on the official Japanese GT website’s GTHDC’s screenshot page all feature generous amounts of anti–aliasing, and higher resolution lighting; the shadows aren’t staircased—I can only imagine that these are “Photo Mode” images, and boy do they look great!

True enought the cars look good, but the tracks make them look odd and out of place. One thing that's been daunting GT games. Hopefully GT5\Forza will have a good variety of tracks. Like a Jungle track or something, I know it seems out of place but something to change the pace.

R3Z

How awesome PD. They really are the king of graphics imo. Having to double take at a few of these shots is just testament to how good they are.

Yoboman

It's gorgeous and all, but I don't see how it can be as mind blowing as some of you make out. Some of you are gonna be blown away by GT5, that's for sure. I doubt this is even a chip off the tip of the iceberg

hyp

i've been stuck on this demo since it came out. yes, the visuals have blown my graphics-whore mind and my expectations for GT5 are now in the heavens. i truly have faith PD will pull off the greatest racing simulator ever. BUT, this game is definitely begging for rumble. :( i would trade it for the waggle any day.

Yoboman

hyp said:
i've been stuck on this demo since it came out. yes, the visuals have blown my graphics-whore mind and my expectations for GT5 are now in the heavens. i truly have faith PD will pull off the greatest racing simulator ever. BUT, this game is definitely begging for rumble. :( i would trade it for the waggle any day.
Do yourself a favour and get a wheel with force feedback

hyp

Yoboman said:
Do yourself a favour and get a wheel with force feedback

yea, i'm seriously considering it now. but i think i'll have to hold off until GT5 for that, there's no way i'd splurge on that for this demo. i already spent a shit load on a preorder for the VF5 high grade stick. =]

Yoboman

hyp said:
yea, i'm seriously considering it now. but i think i'll have to hold off until GT5 for that, there's no way i'd splurge on that for this demo. i already spent a shit load on a preorder for the VF5 high grade stick. =]
I meant in time for GT5, f'course

m0dus said:
I am getting mixed messages here. the cars certainly look fantabulous, but the backgrounds (textures especially) are a rather mixed bag. Has there been any word on whether or not they're using placeholder art?

I am still leaning toward PGR visually (as far as the combined detail of the cars, backgrounds, etc over this) though the fact this runs at a higher res and a higher framerate certainly gives it an edge that more than makes up for some of that loss.

The lighting definitely takes the cake, however.

the cars look much better in gt hd so far, and the game is far from finished....already it looks more realistic

antiloop

The environments looks realistic to me, but the cars look the best. Haven't played the game though.

Only judging from pictures and vids.

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Those pics are crazy. The replays are awesome, but what about the gameplay ? Is the game as beautiful as that when actually playing ?

ps: yeah, I know this is just a demo and the game will improve A LOT.

DCharlie

Banned
some people still lambast PS2 about so called "lack of AA" that was virtually never used by competition to begin with.

even if it wasn't used, the GC and Xbox had apparently better IQ and less apparent jaggies.
I'm not sure what is to defend here - the ps2 did have a tendancy for jaggies that weren't as easily apparant on the Xbox or GC. Surely as you have these machines this should be pretty straight forward , no?

p.s. MERRY XMAS! :)

Insane Metal

Gold Member
Insane Metal said:
Those pics are crazy. The replays are awesome, but what about the gameplay ? Is the game as beautiful as that when actually playing ?

Anybody ?

Angelcurio

Kittonwy said:
GAF>friends and relatives

angry.gif
:lol

D2G

Banned
m0dus said:
I am getting mixed messages here. the cars certainly look fantabulous, but the backgrounds (textures especially) are a rather mixed bag. Has there been any word on whether or not they're using placeholder art?

I am still leaning toward PGR visually (as far as the combined detail of the cars, backgrounds, etc over this) though the fact this runs at a higher res and a higher framerate certainly gives it an edge that more than makes up for some of that loss.

The lighting definitely takes the cake, however.

:lol

why are you xbots even in this thread? does it hurt so much?

jett

D-Member
Insane Metal said:
Anybody ?

No, there's about one minute of loading time for the replays. The polygon mesh of the course and its textures are completely different, as are the car models and the lighting engine. I mean SHIT, everyone knows this is how it's always been in past GT games, right?

...it's the same thing man. :p

Ranger X

Insane Metal said:

The gameplay is awesome but you only get the updated driving physics. All other stuff for GT5 must not be ready as we speak. (GT5 supposed to include more cars at the same time, new collisions and damage engine, cockpit view, etc)

Insertia

m0dus said:
That's the issue I'm speaking of- the cars look great, but for the most part, the backgrounds are rather meh. PGR seems like it went for more of a balance between backgrounds and cars thus far.

I'm still taking into account that this is essentially a demo, however. I was curious if there had been any word from PD on assets from the backgrounds being placeholder or temporary?

Considering most of the background elements (those hideous 2 plane trees) are pulled directly from GT4, placeholder.

(no shit)

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
RaijinFY said:
More importantly both are running at 720p... and are finished games.

I would like to know how many cars per race Forza II is aiming at?

720p 4xAA 60fps. 12 racers on the track at once

Pimpwerx

m0dus said:
That's the issue I'm speaking of- the cars look great, but for the most part, the backgrounds are rather meh. PGR seems like it went for more of a balance between backgrounds and cars thus far.

I'm still taking into account that this is essentially a demo, however. I was curious if there had been any word from PD on assets from the backgrounds being placeholder or temporary?
Why even bother posting in this thread. For one, this is a single track demo, hardly fair given the plethora of tracks a completed PGR3 has, right? At least give PD time to put in Monaco, or some other street course, first. The bgs look fine in all these shots, though, and the cars are in a whole other universe of awesomeness. That and this is Polyphony Digital. The only competition is themselves. I say this as a 100% GT whore, so grain of salt it. But really, don't even bother with the comparisons. Let us GT fans have one thread where we can just bask in PD's greatness. PEACE.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
the background looks great -- the road surface, the spectators, the big ****ing mountains. i've actually never seen anything resembling those mountains in a game. gt's visual focus has always been on the cars, but they take care of the backgrounds as well -- the city tracks in the ps2 games had some really impressive stuff going on. the final's going to be spectacular.

Ranger X

Anyways i'm sure he drools at the backgrounds while playing PGR3. *rolleyes*

In serious racers your concentration is elsewhere than looking at a background anyway and those background in the GT demo are fine.

gbovo

m0dus said:

Seeing as the actual game isn't set to be released till 2008, what do you think?

Klocker

gbovo said:
Seeing as the actual game isn't set to be released till 2008, what do you think?

do you think we'll be able to have more than one car at a time on the track by then too? ;)

i kid, i kid ;) Merry Christmas

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
That dev saying that stuff about the PS3 vs. the 360 is full of shit. Why is it that everytime a great dev makes graphics that are out of this world they want to put 100% of the credit to the devs?

MGS2 was bananas on the PS2, but they said it only looked good because of the artist.

Now

GT5 cars look bananas but it's only because of PD's artist and not do to the PS3 at all.

Jeez I shake my head at this guys.

skrew

Banned
there is no denying that PGR3s city tracks look great, but the non-city ones that are comparable to the GTHD track looks pretty crappy, maybe we should wait to see a city track from gthd before comparing... and there probably going to be a better looking 360 racer out by then

anyway i suck at driving the Ferrari... always over steer and spin put :(

J-Rzez

Agent Icebeezy said:
720p 4xAA 60fps. 12 racers on the track at once

Well tell Che to get that guy from the AVS forums so he can double the output for them... 1440p plus 120fps... I mean, the 360 does have the rendering edge afterall, and if the PS3 is doing 1080p/60, I demand more...

mckmas8808, it's because the PS2 wasn't next-gen for it's time and PS3 especially isn't next-gen... Cell/RSX/FlexI/O, Blu-Ray... You'd think you'd know this... What do you expect out of devs working with stuff you can pick up out the bargain bins at the comp shop at target? duuuuuuhhhhhhh...

Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays everyone btw... be safe, have a great day!

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
J-Rzez said:
Well tell Che to get that guy from the AVS forums so he can double the output for them... 1440p plus 120fps... I mean, the 360 does have the rendering edge afterall, and if the PS3 is doing 1080p/60, I demand more...

Since you are in the mood to demand more, you should............ Too easy, have a nice Christmas :D

mashoutposse

Ante Up
I think the level of background quality is perfectly acceptable if you're going to be traveling through it with 11-19 other drivers.

And, as stated by others, the tracks in PGR3 that are in a similar setting look decidedly worse than what we're seeing here. Most "organic" environs in PGR3 were blurry textured and barren.

Those cars look incredible during replays. I wonder how many polys are used for the cars during replays. Must be an insane amount for it to look that good.

Pimpwerx

m0dus said:
Erm, because nobody in the Resistance thread knows? seriously, don't act like a dick. I'm asking about official word from the developer, not the assumptions you, me, or anyone else has made over the last 3 months. for ****'s sake.
It's not your first post on NeoGAF, m0dus, so it's not like the question has no context. No one in this thread will know for sure, we can only assume. No PD dev has ever posted here, and I doubt they will start anytime soon. The closest we've ever come have been owners of cars who've had their cars photographed and recorded by PD.

That said, use some common sense. It's a one track, time trial demo of a game over a year away. Up until the latest demo, the scenery didn't even cast shadows. Hell, the car models have been up to snuff since the first appearance of the RX7 and Evo models in the VisionGT trailer. But the scenery hasn't. This one track was supposed to be part of a pair of tracks for GTHD. Somehow, we have never seen anything of the other track. Next thing you know, GTHD is cancelled and we are given an even more stripped-down demo with just this one track. If I was to make an assumption, it is that the track may not have placeholder textures, but is nowhere near being complete. I'd liken this to the E3 track for Motorstorm, which was full of placeholders up until the release of the JP version. So yes, I think it's a safe guess that the track is not the only placeholder in the demo. I'm assuming all aspects of the game will change, including the car. They've shown an in-car view before, yet we don't have it anymore. That's bound to be put in, along with other stuff. It's a demo, afterall, of a game over a year away. That point can't be stressed enough.

Official dev word is in the original post, btw. There've been no comments on the completion level of the game. PD generally doesn't give such estimates, at least going on the past. They made no mention of the completion of GT3, and held off on giving release info until they absolutely had to. They tend to operate on a "when it's done, it's done" policy. The best policy. :) PEACE.

i was wondering...you all know how the xbox racers (namely PGR and forza series) have the feature where the right analog stick gives you different views of your car? well I really liked this feature as you could appreciate the graphical goodness even more. the real question is....does the GTHD demo feature this?

gbovo

m0dus said:
Erm, because nobody in the Resistance thread knows? seriously, don't act like a dick. I'm asking about official word from the developer, not the assumptions you, me, or anyone else has made over the last 3 months. for ****'s sake.

I dunno--my smartass filter is broken, so it looks like getting a simple, straight answer is apparently out of the question? :)
Ok, here's the official word from the developer: "Everything shown in the GTHD demo is non-final until the final game is released." :)

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
nextgeneration said:
Those cars look incredible during replays. I wonder how many polys are used for the cars during replays. Must be an insane amount for it to look that good.

The game doesn't magically render a new car for the replays, pal.

Rody

Do any of you have those pictures of GT4 (1080i) that someone took a while ago and posted on GAF? They were absolutely beautiful and I need them.

sif

m0dus said:

I dunno--my smartass filter is broken, so it looks like getting a simple, straight answer is apparently out of the question? :)

Well KY did say that the only thing he is happy with so far are the menus, so it can be inferred from this that he is not happy with the way that the game looks right now. From this and given the time frame of release a fairly risk-free assumption can be made as to the level of finality of the background's graphics

Also first post in this thread, and a suitable exclamation/expletive does not come to mind after seeing the lighting and car models. Jaggies in the panel gaps (doors boot/trunk etc.) means they are rendered as separate objects, no reason to do this if there are not going to be able to be opened/removed. This combined with the slide shown at TGS (the one on a red background showing the patches for GTHD premium as the game was known at the time) means that we get damage!! :D

Photmode + wrecked Ferrari 599GTB Fiorano = change of pants for me

Top Bottom