• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Gran Turismo HD Concept Thread

eso76

actually, i'm sure these are fake, right ?
someone just photoshopped photographs of that nissan xanavi on gthd screenshots, right ?

I swear i honestly can't understand whether that car is real or not, no matter how long i stare at the picture.

p3tran

Banned
kevm3 said:
Slight contrast and brightness adjustment
gthdnissian-2.jpg

GTmai9.jpg
sweet 8)

bouc_emissaire said:

Despite people often saying that some peoples expectations are too high for the current gen and that's why they say they're disappointed in the graphics in some games, its stuff like this that proves those expectations can be met, there's just only a small amount of developers that can do it.

Bebpo

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Despite people often saying that some peoples expectations are too high for the current gen and that's why they say they're disappointed in the graphics in some games, its stuff like this that proves those expectations can be met, there's just only a small amount of developers that can do it.

It's just one model though.

The full game needs like 8-12 of those on screen + a NEXT-GEN looking track (the GT:HD track does not count at all) and then that all has to move at 60fps.

I'll start being blown away by the visuals of this game when we start seeing at least 4 of these cars racing in a ZOMG BEAUTIFUL track.

gogogow

Bebpo said:

The full game needs like 8-12 of those on screen + a NEXT-GEN looking track (the GT:HD track does not count at all) and then that all has to move at 60fps.

I'll start being blown away by the visuals of this game when we start seeing at least 4 of these cars racing in a ZOMG BEAUTIFUL track.
And all these in 1080p.
Are PD aiming to high?
They did show 24 (PS2 cars) in the Vision GT trailers, but this GTHD cars are something else.

Polyphony has proven themself enough over the year to not be doubted. As far as the track goes, Kaz has already said he's not satisfied with anything in GTHD with the exception of the cars. His expectations for the game are just as high as everyone elses.

Kangu

Banned
Bebpo said:

I think at the very least PD is targeting getting 6 of those on screen. Which would suck hardcore, but I refuse to believe they are stupid enough to continue modeling these stunning cars if they knew they couldn't get them to work with the traditional 6 race cars in the game engine. 60 fps is a given, next gen looking tracks? Not sure. But if anyone can pull it off it's these guys.

Solidsnakex said:
Kaz has already said he's not satisfied with anything in GTHD with the exception of the cars.

Would you might linking me to said interview?

Kangu said:
I think at the very least PD is targeting getting 6 of those on screen. Which would suck hardcore, but I refuse to believe they are stupid enough to continue modeling these stunning cars if they knew they couldn't get them to work with the traditional 6 race cars in the game engine. 60 fps is a given, next gen looking tracks? Not sure. But if anyone can pull it off it's these guys.
Well the track does look better than tracks shown recently in FORZA 2 screenshots, and I actually think that it looks pretty good, other than the fact that it's pretty dull.

Kangu

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:
Well the track does look better than tracks shown recently in FORZA 2 screenshots, and I actually think that it looks pretty good, other than the fact that it's pretty dull.

Watch some videos. Though I don't think Forza 2's tracks are all that great looking, they certainly feature far superior texturing and some impressive backgrounds in the horizon. They fall short on the dull lighting, but still manage to look considerably better overall than what GTHD is showcasing.

eso76

Kangu said:
Watch some videos. Though I don't think Forza 2's tracks are all that great looking, they certainly feature far superior texturing and some impressive backgrounds in the horizon. They fall short on the dull lighting, but still manage to look considerably better overall than what GTHD is showcasing.

heck, Forza 1 tracks looked better than GTHD one, but those cars are just unbelievable.
I can't get over how incredible this car looks: as good as gthd cars have always looked, i believe PD put some special effort in modeling and texturing this nissan Z350.

Just look at those tyres and those rims. Holy freaking shit, those rims, how is anyone supposed to tell these from real photographs ?

Kangu I think this is where he says it, and rereading what was posted ourumov, the only thing Kaz was happy about was the car select menu screen.

Also for those complaining about it not evolving, this was the list they had set for GTHD when it was going to be a bunch of downloadable stuff (and were planned to be in GT5 when it shipped)

115890032703yd8.jpg

115890198308zv6.jpg

Double H

SolidSnakex said:
I'll try to track it down, only snippets were translated because its in Spanish.
I’ve got your back :)

http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=842175#post842175
Arwin said:
From what I gather from a partial French summary and reading bits of the Spanish text myself, it contains the following bits of interesting information:

- F1 tracks are probably going to make it into GT:HD Premium, and perhaps also in Classic, but this is not yet certain.
- nothing can be said about the pricing of the game at all as nothing has been decided yet. The game could be full price with a lot of download points included, or very cheap with all cars downloaded for an as yet unknown price, etc. The main point Yamauchi wants to make is that he is not interested in making more money out of the game, but is solely interested in making as much as possible of the online support.
- in his capacity at SCE, he has not been involved with the hardware of the PS3 (nor with the decision to postpone the EU launch, he stresses), but his primary focus and responsibility has been working on online functionality.
- where last year there were three teams working on different projects within PD (PSP GT4, Tourist Trophy, and GT PS3), now all 100 employees are working and focussing on GT:HD.
- Premium as we've seen it is only at 15% (whatever that means) and the only thing he is happy with at this point is the car-selection screen. He also lists (Petran will appreciate this) what still needs to be fixed: dynamic lighting, 3d crowds are still static, replays aren't finished or even implemented, etc.
- asked what the PS3 brings to GT that the PS2 couldn't, he mentions damage, AI, physics, and the resolution
- he offered that the interviewer could take a picture of Yamauchi and himself that Yamauchi would then put online later on for free download by GT players ...

There's probably more, but this should be the main stuff.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=842299#post842299
Angelcurio said:
I just read the meristation article and also saw a few interesting things (spanish is my actual language):

BTW, i will just translate the article as it is, so you will see a lot of PR talk.

List of options they plan to include but are still unconfirmed:

- Online Garage
- One vs. One races
- Friends List
- Boards
- Voice Chat
- Team makers and clubs
- Online Photo Albums
- Race makers (or builder)

The demo was full of bugs like popping, framerate, lack of shadows and static crowds. Yamauchi said that he is well aware of those problems.

He also explained why damage wasnt implemented in previous GT games. In the past, car makers didnt want to see their cars being damageds since they barely receive money from the rights to use the car images in the game(this is something new to me, since i always thought that in previous games they had to pay car makers to use their cars). With this method, Yamauchi said that they were able to spend more money in the development of the game instead of using to cover rights (oro license) payments, thats part of the reason for the high quality of GT games. Right now, the situation is different. Thanks to Gt being known by everybody right now, they can have the luxury of asking car makers for the so awaited car damage and the PS3 is going to be an excellent debut. The level of damage hasnt been decided yet, but one thing is granted, it wont be in the same line as the Burnout games.

The game will have some models from Gran Turismo (the italian brand where the name of the game comes from), that werent previously in the games.

Regarding the Ferrari License, Yamauchi was extremely happy since a couple of days ago they sent some captures to Ferrari of the 3D model that they were making of the 599 GTB Fiorano and on friday, the only great and one Franco Simanti, design boss of the brand "cavallino rampante",call them back just to say that it was the best virtual model made by third parties (not inhouse) that they have ever seen.

They will completely finish GT HD by 2008 AND from that moment the team will move to GT5..

That were all the interesting parts i saw from the interview.
Original article at Meristation:
http://www.meristation.com/v3/des_avances.php?id=cw4516d19f71dec&idj=cw4460b3b8a8a10&pic=PS3

MeowMeow

Banned
I cant beleive how unbelievabley real this game looks, and this is only a taste of whats to come.

I want to a buy a ps3 :- (

Gek54 said:
Wait, So they wont even start on a true sequel until 2008? So GT5 late 2010 realistically?

That's an old preview of the game back when they were going to release GTHD in 2 versions, now that thats canned it's just going to be GT5 which is due next year.

Z3F

Banned
Madman said:
Those comparison pics are just crazy.

I agree. People would actually be convinced from those pics that the cars in GTHD look like real life if they haven't played the game. But as good as the GTHD cars look, and I think they look really awesome, there's no way that you'll confuse them for real cars when you're looking at the game.

Ree

Banned
DantesWrath said:
I started building a separate room just for this game. It will have a mini fridge, a huge HD TV, a PS3, GT5, and this:

0002758,03-thumb.jpeg

:D
How much is that and will it work witha G25? O_O

jet1911

bouc_emissaire said:
amazing comparison

:O :O :O :O

The only thing that I find strange is that the tires in the GT:HD don't seems to spin, roll... move ? Don't know the exact word in english. :/

Anyway I think it's weird.

jet1911 said:
:O :O :O :O

The only thing that I find strange is that the tires in the GT:HD don't seems to spin, roll... move ? Don't know the exact word in english. :/
'Rotate' is probably the word you're looking for.

Kangu

Banned
marvelharvey said:
I was expecting a lot more than 1 vs 1, but it's not GT5 just yet.

However, I was expecting a lot less from the graphics. I'm blown af***ingway by the comparison shots.

If you look at the slide ssx posted it actually said Head to head races. Does that necessarily mean One v. one? Not that it matters considering they were refering to GTHD, not GT5, but it might be a bit of a mistranslation.

I really don't think they mean 1 on 1, I mean GT4 Onlines beta were meant to be an indication of where they'd go with GT5's online and even it was 6 player online.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Bebpo said:

I think the track is pretty cool, in fact one of the best things about it is that the curvature of the road itself seems perfect in that track. You never see the polygonal edges when you see the curve on the road. Maybe it's because of the way the road blends with the grass, which is not a sharp transition, but that actually brings me to another thing - that transition is really nicely done when you see it while you're driving. I dunno I just really like the track, and not just because of the way it looks - it just might be my favorite track to drive from the whole GT opus.

jett

D-Member
Despite it's horribly unfinished state, I think the GTHD track still ends up looking better overall than what I've seen of Forza 2's.

GT5 is gonna be some crazy shit.

mr_nothin

Banned
PD said:
They will completely finish GT HD by 2008 AND from that moment the team will move to GT5..

Holy CRAP that's good and bad.
GTHD wont be done until 2008...imagine how that will look!
That wont even be GT5 :O
Imagine how good THAT will look.

mr_nothin

Banned
bouc_emissaire said:
How the hell did they get so close to the actual car? that's amazing.
Even though some of them arent exactly the same car...
Crazy detailing.

I actually think that they will do the GTHD: Classic online thing to some extent.
There will probably be at least 100-150 cars and they will have cars that you can buy online in later updates.

They should have a seperate mode with 'fake' cars...ala (Burnout serious) where there's full damage.
:( I hope they think like me

bouc_emissaire

Who Compares, Wins
jett said:
Despite it's horribly unfinished state, I think the GTHD track still ends up looking better overall than what I've seen of Forza 2's.

GT5 is gonna be some crazy shit.

Forza II and PGR4 all look good, Turn10 and Bizarre Creations did a great job, but Polyphony is doing something incredible :

Forza2PGR4vsGTHD.jpg

mr_nothin

Banned
bouc_emissaire said:
Forza II and PGR4 all look good, Turn10 and Bizarre Creations did a great job, but Polyphony is doing something incredible :

Forza2PGR4vsGTHD.jpg
I look at the left side and thing..NICE
but then i look to the right and thing OMG

Tieno

All of those games look very good, the car in GT HD looks best.
All have their strengths though and make certain sacrifices.

I guess they're already working on GT5 atm, but in 2008 they'll ramp it up, right? Or else we'll have to wait a long time for GT5. How many GT's did PS2 have?

Router

Hopsiah the Kanga-Jew
Its going to take alot more than pretty cars for me to give a crap about the GT series again.

Most of what I hear sounds like its going in the right direction though.

Top Bottom