• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official hype thread: This is Sakura Wars, and this is why YOU should be excited!!

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Koren said:
Sakura Wars is not time-consuming at all for stats. But keep in mind that it has few in common with games like Fire Emblem. Again, I'd like to stress the fact that it's rather an adventure game with a very strong SRPG element rather than a SRPG with an expanded story part. You need to be interested in the adventure part to truly enjoy Sakura Wars.

androvsky said:
Don't worry, it's a Sega game through and through. Unless 5 takes a very different turn from the earlier games, you CANNOT grind. It's not like they have randomly generated dates you can go on (although that'd be pretty cool).
But like Koren said, you might find the battle system in this game a bit too simple. It really depends on if you find the adventure part interesting. My memory of the way these games work is if you make a response that pleases one of the girls, you'll hear a little bell, and her stats in general go up.

Wow, this is a game FOR ME.
Thank you both, you really made it clear to me and I'm officially interested+ in this game!

:do want:

fake edit:
What's this Idea Factory bias thing?
Just asking, I do not know anything about them and I can only buy the game on Wii if I actually want to play it since my PS2 is at my parents'...

Josh7289

I don't suppose original Japanese voices will be included (since it seems to be timed with the text, and since you'd be answering in English, and stuff)?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Josh7289 said:
I don't suppose original Japanese voices will be included (since it seems to be timed with the text, and since you'd be answering in English, and stuff)?

Currently this is unknown. This thread will be updated as soon as we find this out.

RurouniZel

Alright! Wii version confirmed for November 2009! PS2 date isn't confirmed, but I'd be surprised if they weren't the same. Updating main thread when I get home!

Dang, some of the music sounds really, really cool. especially the cool jazz at 5:09 of the trailer.
I'm gonna track me down the OST.
EDIT: found through slightly illegitimate means.

Koren

octopusman said:
Dang, some of the music sounds really, really cool. especially the cool jazz at 5:09 of the trailer.
I'm gonna track me down the OST.
Music in this series is always really good (at least for me). Kohei Tanaka has done great things with the series (like with many anime series), and the nice thing is that he managed to create songs from many genres/locations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohei_Tanaka_(composer)

There's two great boxes of 8 CDs each that cover most of the ST songs (250+) except two live shows, but they are impossible to find. There must be OST of STV, though.

Chrono Helix said:
The aerial batttles look cool.
It's a nice addition, but I hope they'll fix the camera. It's not awful, but sometimes it can be quite difficult to see where are all your Koubus in the sky.

RurouniZel

Vinnk said:
Sorry to bump the thread but was anything shown for this at E3? Screenshots? A teaser?

Sadly it seems N1 had next to no presence at E3 whatsoever (either that or they just got no coverage). We only know the Wii release month because it was on a list released by Nintendo. I'm going to e-mail N1 for further information and questions etc.

Koren said:
Music in this series is always really good (at least for me). Kohei Tanaka has done great things with the series (like with many anime series), and the nice thing is that he managed to create songs from many genres/locations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kohei_Tanaka_(composer)

There's two great boxes of 8 CDs each that cover most of the ST songs (250+) except two live shows, but they are impossible to find. There must be OST of STV, though.

Yes I agree. Kohei Tanaka's music for Sakura Wars have always been quite good and really add to the flavor of the series.

Vinnk

RurouniZel said:
Sadly it seems N1 had next to no presence at E3 whatsoever (either that or they just got no coverage). We only know the Wii release month because it was on a list released by Nintendo. I'm going to e-mail N1 for further information and questions etc.

Too bad they were not there. I wish they would put some game info on their website. Other than the press release there is pretty much no info out there.

RurouniZel

Vinnk said:
Too bad they were not there. I wish they would put some game info on their website. Other than the press release there is pretty much no info out there.

I agree, I was hoping we'd get a trailer at least. I've sent a message to them explaining that I'm kinda trying to help them spread the work with this thread, and hope to get some info from them that way.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This OP got me interested. Been hearing the name of this series for YEARS.

Vinnk

RurouniZel said:
I agree, I was hoping we'd get a trailer at least. I've sent a message to them explaining that I'm kinda trying to help them spread the work with this thread, and hope to get some info from them that way.

Thread bookmarked. I hope they get back to you.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
As a huge Sakura Taisen fan who imported every single iteration, bought all the USA anime releases, and have all the Japanese Strategy Guides and Artbooks, I have been on the hype train for a long time now.

Vinnk

jj984jj said:

I really hope they can get them. I am not one who really minds well done American dubs. But for this Series I am so used to the Original Japanese voices. Still this game is day one for me either way.

XiaNaphryz said:
Yay Sakura Taisen!

If this does well, can we see Atsuki Chishio Ni localized? Please? :(

Actually they remade the first game for PS2 as well. Only 2 and 4 didn't appear on the PS2 so if they can port 5 there should be nothing stopping them from porting those. (technically speaking of course, financially there could be a lot stopping them)

RurouniZel

jj984jj said:

Nice find! Added to the OP! I really hope they can do dual language!

Hcoregamer00 said:
As a huge Sakura Taisen fan who imported every single iteration, bought all the USA anime releases, and have all the Japanese Strategy Guides and Artbooks, I have been on the hype train for a long time now.

I'm the same way except for the strategy guides. I got a couple of the live-action stage shows on DVD as well as the OSTs for 3 and 5.

Vinnk said:
I really hope they can get them. I am not one who really minds well done American dubs. But for this Series I am so used to the Original Japanese voices. Still this game is day one for me either way.

:lol :lol I want American games in American voices, especially because it takes place in America.:lol :lol

But in all seriousness it is such a more casual experience with english dubs, fuck "flowing naturally" or any of that crap, they're expressing the same emotions that are able to conveyed in English. I don't know about you guys but listening to it without being able to understand feels painful to me every word feels so much more pushed and somewhat nasally.

I think it's just a ploy for NISA not having to pay for voice actors.
Japanese voices just make me feel like such a Weaboo, keep it in the intro, and that's all. I don't understand why NISA would want to do this in localization, ah well, we need to start a GAF plays ST I-IV thread, that is what I'm doing with my summer.

kiryogi

Banned
Hcoregamer00 said:

:eek: Do you have figures, gashapon, live shows and... THE CHRONICLE BOX? :D I stand proud with my pride that I'm positive I'm probably was the biggest ST fan on GAF.

And on the dub note. really interesting. Semi mixed about that but neat.

Pachael said:
Ouji x Matsubara x Tanaka was a dream combo for ST3 and yes, even ST4.

Too bad Matsubara was gone for V practically, hence the horrrible designs.

RurouniZel

octopusman said:
:lol :lol I want American games in American voices, especially because it takes place in America.:lol :lol

But in all seriousness it is such a more casual experience with english dubs, fuck "flowing naturally" or any of that crap, they're expressing the same emotions that are able to conveyed in English. I don't know about you guys but listening to it without being able to understand feels painful to me every word feels so much more pushed and somewhat nasally.

Japanese voices just make me feel like such a Weaboo, keep it in the intro, and that's all. I don't understand why NISA would want to do this in localization, ah well, we need to start a GAF plays ST I-IV thread, that is what I'm doing with my summer.

Well for me it's not so much that English voices are inherently bad or anything, it's just that if you play a great game like this in Japanese a lot, you start to become attached to a specific voice with regards to a specific character and don't ever want it to change. So hearing a voice in English (or any other language) can be a little jarring. But this also happens the other way, when English works are dubbed in Japanese (or hell, when the Japanese decide to change all the voices in their own language it's annoying as hell! See Blue Dragon game --> Blue Dragon anime)

It's for this reason that I can't watch animes like Tenchi Muyo or El Hazard in Japanese; I'm so attached to the English dub that I heard first that I just can't switch.

kiryogi said:
:eek: Do you have figures, gashapon, live shows and... THE CHRONICLE BOX? :D I stand proud with my pride that I'm positive I'm probably was the biggest ST fan on GAF.

And on the dub note. really interesting. Semi mixed about that but neat.

Are we going to have to start breaking out the cameras? XD

kiryogi

Banned
RurouniZel said:
Are we going to have to start breaking out the cameras? XD

You've seen my collection before, you sure you want to do this? Although I really don't want to go thru the trouble of digging it all out etc.

RurouniZel

kiryogi said:
You've seen my collection before, you sure you want to do this? Although I really don't want to go thru the trouble of digging it all out etc.

I was being sarcastic. XD Just seems how we're all going on about how big our collections are. :p

I can't claim to have every Hanagumi Columns, though I did pick up Sakura Taisen Online while I was in Japan last year (never minding that I can't PLAY it online anymore, obviously). XD

So I've decided to play Sakura Taisen 3 and 4 in anticipation, I'm at chapter 4 of ST3 right now. is there a translation FAQ for 4?

RurouniZel

octopusman said:
So I've decided to play Sakura Taisen 3 and 4 in anticipation, I'm at chapter 4 of ST3 right now. is there a translation FAQ for 4?

I think Kayama started one at one point, but then stopped for some reason. I never did see a completely FAQ if I recall.

I've been playing V again in anticipation, as well as 1+2 on PSP (especially since I have it hacked to play directly from the ISO for next to no load times).

Vinnk

octopusman said:

I would like the option for both. Not either or. That is what NISA is known for, including both as options.

For almost all my games that are duel language I play them in English. Valkyria Chronicles, Devil May Cry, NIS SRPGs. But I am quite fond of the original voice cast for this game. So I like to be able to have the choice. If that makes me King of the Weaboos (god I hate that word) so be it.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Wow, NISA redeemed? If the game is bug-free they definitely will be in my eyes.

Volcynika

Probably mentioned already, but just for reminding, who's handling bringing the game to Wii? Is NISA helping with it, or another team is doing it and they're just handling translating, or what?

Quixzlizx

Volcynika said:
You purists get your JP voice acting, in a way that is something different than the usual releases:

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/07/05/sakura-wars-so-long-my-love-sold-as-a-two-disc-box-set/

Two disc box set. One with English VA, the other with JP VA + English subtitles. Not sure how 'full' the English VA one will be, but hoping it's at least a major portion.

And it's a standard version for Wii/PS2 at $39.99.

Nice job, NISA. Hopefully the game actually works.

RurouniZel

androvsky

Volcynika said:
You purists get your JP voice acting, in a way that is something different than the usual releases:

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/07/05/sakura-wars-so-long-my-love-sold-as-a-two-disc-box-set/

Two disc box set. One with English VA, the other with JP VA + English subtitles. Not sure how 'full' the English VA one will be, but hoping it's at least a major portion.

And it's a standard version for Wii/PS2 at $39.99.

Hot damn. Doing it like that occurred to me, but I figured they wouldn't since it'd be too easy to pass off the unwanted disc to friends / clueless used game stores. Sakura Wars is pretty easy to split across discs since it's so linear, but this works too. And I don't have to worry about them overcompressing the VAs either. :)

Probably mentioned already, but just for reminding, who's handling bringing the game to Wii? Is NISA helping with it, or another team is doing it and they're just handling translating, or what?

Idea Factory is doing the Wii port.

Vinnk

Is anywhere taking pre-orders yet?

Don't want to miss this one. I have a feeling it will not be a very big release.

RurouniZel

Vinnk said:
Is anywhere taking pre-orders yet?

Don't want to miss this one. I have a feeling it will not be a very big release.

My local Gamestops have gotten tired of my asking.

Yes I said GamestopS, 'cause I'm gonna pre-order both Wii and PS2 in each store XD

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Given that I just finished Persona 4, I wouldn't mind more dating sim RPG mechanics. :lol

I'll definitely grab a copy when the time comes.

VegaShinra

NIS America announced today that due to high demand for dual voiceovers, Sakura Wars will be available in a premium package with a dual disc setup and a special art cover. Disc 1 will include the game with English voices, and disc 2 will include the Japanese voice track. Fans of Sakura Wars can expect a collector’s item art cover for this edition.

Top Bottom