• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official hype thread: This is Sakura Wars, and this is why YOU should be excited!!

Vinnk

No Wii duel audio version :(

My PS3 is not one of the ones that runs PS2 games..

I was so looking forward to the 2-disc version on Wii. I guess the extra effort to make a second Wii port (with Japanese audio) was too much for them.

Will still buy but not nearly as hyped as before.

Vinnk

Mockingbird said:
no jp voice for wii = no buy unless 20 or less for me.

Pretty close. Only $30 on Wii.

But I would gladly pay the normal Wii game price of $50 for a duel language version or $60 for the pack the PS2 is getting. Premium packs are usually expensive anyway.

Really disappointed here...

androvsky

Every time the issue of PS2 BC for the PS3 comes up, there's always a crowd that acts like there's simply nobody left on the planet that doesn't have a PS2 already. Who knows, March is the tenth anniversary of the PS2, maybe you'll get lucky with a firmware update. :)

botticus

I guess I'll be getting the cheaper version. Already have it preordered, though I had been hoping both versions would have the same extras.

Vinnk

Well, thinking of just buying them both... I am sure I will get another PS2 down the line. But I really don't want to do that. If only online petitions actually worked I would start one.. sigh...

farnham

Banned
will get the wii version

too bad that i will never get to play sakura wars 1 to 4...

Mockingbird said:
no jp voice for wii = no buy unless 20 or less for me.

wtf no jp voice

dissapointment total

getting it though since its only 30 dollars...

I was meant to be recieving preview code of this before Christmas, but Xmas post... hopefully it comes before New Year. Looks great, and the guys at NIS are really excited about it!

Vinnk

APZonerunner said:
I was meant to be recieving preview code of this before Christmas, but Xmas post... hopefully it comes before New Year. Looks great, and the guys at NIS are really excited about it!

Which version (platform) will you get preview code for?

Volcynika

Preorders available at RosenQueen:

PS2: http://rosenqueen.com/product.php?productid=16329&cat=4

Wii: http://rosenqueen.com/product.php?productid=16331&cat=4

Also bonus:

No joke! RosenQueen has made a special preorder item for Sakura Wars. You can get an awesome 40-page hardcover artbook, "Unforgettable Memories," with your preorder! This special art book will be available for both Wii and PlayStation 2 versions. The PlayStation 2 premium package of Sakura Wars will already come with a Japanese-voice disc, an art book and a poster as bonus items, but this RosenQueen exclusive hardcover art book is different from the one in the premium box! So if you decide to go with the PlayStation 2 version, you can enjoy two different art books offered by NIS America and RosenQueen!

This RosenQueen exclusive art book is 8" x 10" in size, which is the biggest art book RosenQueen has ever made! With this art book, you can fully enjoy all the character art from Sakura Wars for sure!

RosenQueen will stop preorders once the art book is out of stock. So be sure to preorder Sakura Wars with the art book today!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Disappointed that the Wii is getting the short end of the stick.
Then again, I didn't have much faith in that version anyway. Ideafactory?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
RPGFan has a hands on preview up: http://www.rpgfan.com/previews/Sakura_Wars_So_Long_My_Love/index.html

I never thought it would happen. The holy grail of localization-unfriendly JRPGs is coming to the US. The Sakura Wars series (or, if you prefer, Sakura Taisen). Over the last decade, there have been many rumors about American publishers trying to get the rights to publish games in this series, some of whom made legitimate attempts to localize, only for the process to fall apart at one step or another.

The most recent, and possibly final, entry in the Sakura Wars series was Sakura Wars V. It was released for the PlayStation 2 in 2005, and it featured an entirely new cast of characters. For those that don't know their Sakura history, the first two games feature one cast of characters and take place primarily in Japan; the third game takes place in Paris and introduces a second cast of characters; the fourth game merges the Paris and Tokyo groups for one ridiculously large game. And then, in Sakura Wars V, a third group, led by someone other than the earlier games' male protagonist, Ogami, is formed in New York City.

In each Sakura Wars game, there's a mix of gameplay types. The Japanese even had an acronym for this genre: SLG (presumably, Simulation Life Game, though there are varying explanations for what SLG stands for). For the most part, you play through a graphic adventure with something of a dating sim element: every action you perform as the male lead may either impress or trouble one or more of the females in your group. At various intervals in the game, you and the ladies pilot giant robots and fight evil beings. The characters' stats and stat bonuses are based almost entirely on the actions you took in the graphic adventure portion of the game. It may sound, for lack of a better word, "foreign" to you. But it's actually a wonderfully new and balanced kind of game.

Having minimal experience with, and only cursory knowledge of, previous entries in the series, playing Sakura Wars V has been a strange and beautiful experience. And I feel that way even though I'm only five hours into an early, unfinished build of the localized product.

NIS America, the company known for localizing all sorts of niche RPGs and other quirky titles (Badman! et al), are the chosen ones. They are extremely fortunate to be able to handle this IP. Of course, with great games comes great responsibility, and I'm hoping for the best. Thus far, what I can tell you is that I'm impressed with how well the voice actors chosen for the English version have fit their characters. Early trailers have already revealed female lead Gemini Sunrise to have a thick southern drawl. She is voiced by Laura Bailey for the English version, and while her performance as Ulrika in Mana Khemia 2 didn't quite fit, it's perfect for Gemini.

There has been some worry among savvy import gamers that the Sakura Wars series simply cannot work in English. My hope is that NIS America's localization will bring this sort of criticism to rest for good. Sakura Wars ~So Long, My Love~ (as they've chosen to name it, cutting the sequential number) already shows a lot of potential. The script is strong, and the characters are so well-written in the Japanese version that it really isn't too much of a stretch to make it work in English.

Now, I've only had a chance to get my hands on the PlayStation 2 version. Many of the dialogue and action choices are quicktime events that involve using specific buttons on the PS2 controller. These work very well in this version. How this will translate to the new Wii version, whose port was partially handled in Japan by Idea Factory, I cannot say for sure.

Whether you're hoping to pick this game up for PS2 or Wii, what you should know is that the standard game will retail for $30, whereas a limited edition set from NIS America will cost more, but will come as a two disc set. In the past, disc space limitations have forced NIS America to make difficult decisions with voice acting and their usual dual-language policy. The greatest offense to date was the significant amount of voice work cut in Japanese and English for Ar tonelico II. NIS America heard the fan's complaints, and have decided that the only way to remedy this is to offer two full versions. In my hands I have the preview builds of the English and Japanese voice discs, and doing a quick scan reveals that nearly all the space on a DVD-ROM is used to fit the tracks. So, while some may argue it's still not the ideal solution, with the space limitations the way they are, this limited edition set allows people who want "original" VA to get what they want, and those who want English-language voice to have their way as well.

Sakura Wars V (in Japan) was an extremely polished and successful title. Heck, our own Chris Winkler even awarded the import version an editor's choice award in 2005. We have high hopes for NISA's localization, and I myself am stoked that this series is even getting a chance outside of Japan. Keep your fingers crossed, and expect a full review of the game from RPGFan on or before its March 2010 release.

March 23rd can't come quickly enough!!! *hype* *hype* *hype* *hype* *hype*

2DMention

Banned
I'm mildly interested, but I don't like Strat/RPGs

Is this game difficult?

Do you think this will be one of the last PS2 games?

RurouniZel

2DMention said:
I'm mildly interested, but I don't like Strat/RPGs

Is this game difficult?

Do you think this will be one of the last PS2 games?

It's not the most difficult game really, especially since there's no grinding in the traditional sense. And yes, I think it's one of (if not the) last PS2 games coming to the US other than some multiplatform games.

RurouniZel

Dedication Through Light said:
Oh I didnt realize the prices

So its: $29.99 Wii version, no preorder of artbook version
So its: $39.99 Wii version, preorder with artbook

Correct.

For the special PS2 edition, add $10.00 to those prices.

Vinnk

Oh I didnt realize the prices

So its: $29.99 Wii version, no preorder of artbook version
So its: $39.99 Wii version, preorder with artbook

So it's not a "bonus" so much as an "opportunity to buy a $10 book". Shameless.

Yeah, I will still buy it

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Thus far, what I can tell you is that I'm impressed with how well the voice actors chosen for the English version have fit their characters. Early trailers have already revealed female lead Gemini Sunrise to have a thick southern drawl. She is voiced by Laura Bailey for the English version, and while her performance as Ulrika in Mana Khemia 2 didn't quite fit, it's perfect for Gemini
wow, can't take him seriously anymore.

The extra dumb artbook from Rosenqueen doesn't tempt me. Still going with dual voice PS2 version.

johnsmith

remember me
Ugh, shipping prices suck, and I've been reading about how shitty that rosenqueen site is. I was tempted to get the premium ps2 version, but I'll probably just end up getting the cheap wii version from amazon.

Mandoric

Banned
Calints Neos said:

I'm not familiar with the actress, but in dubbing Japanese "southern drawl" is usually shorthand for "director can't direct his way out of a wet paper bag with the jaws of life". Especially for energetic characters.

johnsmith said:
Ugh, shipping prices suck, and I've been reading about how shitty that rosenqueen site is. I was tempted to get the premium ps2 version, but I'll probably just end up getting the cheap wii version from amazon.
Well when I recently ordered Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days I received it and the bonus on release day for the price of standard shipping.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I think I'll start rewatching the Sakura Wars anime series soon!

I got all the ones released in the US (OVA/TV series/movie/Ecole de Paris) except Sumire which is on the way!

thick southern drawl.

NOOOOOOOOOO

RurouniZel said:
Correct.

For the special PS2 edition, add $10.00 to those prices.

Is there no $30 PS2 edition? Just wondering since Amazon doesn't list one (yet).

androvsky

Mandoric said:
I'm not familiar with the actress, but in dubbing Japanese "southern drawl" is usually shorthand for "director can't direct his way out of a wet paper bag with the jaws of life". Especially for energetic characters.

Yes, when they're trying to convey an Osaka accent or something.

In this case, the character is an American cowgirl. FROM TEXAS.

edit: The voice actress is from Texas also.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
No jp voices in the Wii version means no buy from me. Really a shame though, I would loved to have played this, it's just that I can't stand that southern accent. Get back to me when you have a Wii special edition.

Vinnk

doomed1 said:
No jp voices in the Wii version means no buy from me. Really a shame though, I would loved to have played this, it's just that I can't stand that southern accent. Get back to me when you have a Wii special edition.

Ugh...

I wish my American PS2 hadn't broken. I am faced with the choice of the Wii "Special Drawl" Edition for $30 or the PS2 "This is the Edition Everyone Wants" Edition for $40 + the cost of getting another American PS2 shipped to Japan.

I would gladly pay $60 for duel language version on the Wii (I was expecting a price like that when I first heard there was a special edition).

What to do...

Danj

I played ST1, 2, 3 and some of 4 on the Dreamcast and loved them, though I didn't get to experience all the routes because the translation FAQs didn't cover them all at the time. I'm somewhat skeptical about 5 what with it having a different cast, but I'll preorder this once I have some money, even if it's just to support the concept of bringing Sakura Wars games to the West.

Vinnk

Danj said:
I played ST1, 2, 3 and some of 4 on the Dreamcast and loved them, though I didn't get to experience all the routes because the translation FAQs didn't cover them all at the time. I'm somewhat skeptical about 5 what with it having a different cast, but I'll preorder this once I have some money, even if it's just to support the concept of bringing Sakura Wars games to the West.

I was skeptical about 3 for the same reason, but it turned out great. 5 is the only game in the series I haven't beat yet (DC ones came out when I was still a college student and had lots of free time), but I am still excited for it.

androvsky

RurouniZel said:
Gamespot's On The Spot feature has a demo feature of Sakura Wars!! Begins about 3 1/2 minutes in, detailing how the battle system basically works!! Check it out!

http://www.gamespot.com/shows/today-on-the-spot/?tag=topslot;title;1

That's cool; it's good to have a video of how the battle system works, but showing Sakura's a bit of a mean tease. :( Seems like this game is getting a lot more press coverage than most other NISA published games, especially pre-release.

androvsky

ESRB rating is out. No real spoilers.
http://www.siliconera.com/2010/01/22/sakura-wars-so-long-my-love-scrutinized-by-the-esrb/

During the strategic mech battles, players fight opposing enemy robots and demons by using an assortment of blasters, laser whips/chains, and blades.
Though all visual depictions are minimal (e.g., anime-style still images of fully clothed females), players do have the ability to zoom-in on body parts, snap photos, say things like "Can I touch ‘em?," and peek-in on female characters about to remove their shirts.

Does a game really need anything else? ;)

Almost sounds like they're reviewing the translation in one section though:
Bizarre dialogue includes references to the female anatomy and beyond; for example, "You’ve got dynamite knockers," "Isn’t Sis way hotter?," "You got the prettiest butt around," and "I was just patrolling the museum, when the thing started shaking!" Some of these phrases are as random as they sound (uncommon idioms, jolting non sequiturs);

Doesn't sound that bad, but apparently they make less sense in context?

RurouniZel

androvsky said:
Doesn't sound that bad, but apparently they make less sense in context?

Yeah, it probably does, or something. :p Either way we'll find out in 2 months!! *hype* *hype* *hype* *hype* *hype* *hype*

Hrm, so the PS2 version is ONLY the special edition? ie: is there a PS2 version on launch without the japanese voices DVD?

I was hoping to preorder from EB Canada rather than ordering on Rosenqueen, but they only have one edition listed...(I didn't see anything saying the PS2 regular edition was cancelled?)

Koren

Volcynika said:
I'd consider getting the Wii version since it's the better one to me, but ported by Idea Factory = lol no.
Is this so bad ?

Has the Wii version a confirmed released date for EU ? I'm worried because I've not seen it in the last Nintendo planning. I don't thing we get the PS2 version ?

That's just a matter of ST-fanboyism, anyway (think someone that keeps listening ST music, has a Paris 1930 ST map on wall - and a Teito one that only need a frame -, owns nearly all ST games, including pachinko or columns, and plently of memorabilias of all kind), I've already finished the game... But I want to back up this localization!

Volcynika

Koren said:
Is this so bad ?

Has the Wii version a confirmed released date for EU ? I'm worried because I've not seen it in the last Nintendo planning. I don't thing we get the PS2 version ?

That's just a matter of ST-fanboyism, anyway (think someone that keeps listening ST music, has a Paris 1930 ST map on wall - and a Teito one that only need a frame -, owns nearly all ST games, including pachinko or columns, and plently of memorabilias of all kind), I've already finished the game... But I want to back up this localization!

I've played enough Idea Factory games to be wary of their ability. If they surprise me and I see good impressions, I'd consider it.

Volcynika

I knew something felt odd. I never understood the use of "cameras" in videogames. How effective could the cameratron be in finding clues and such.

Don't understand the use of cameras in video games? Fatal Frame wants a word with you! :p

RurouniZel

I knew something felt odd. I never understood the use of "cameras" in videogames. How effective could the cameratron be in finding clues and such.

It's mostly for bonuses and one or two parts of the story. Mostly bonus stuff.

Koren said:
Is this so bad ?

Hit up Rising Star Games maybe?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Blatantly stolen from the equivalent forum thread over at Penny-Arcade:

cj iwakura said:
I'm going to add this to the OP, but as part of the hype-building endeavor, presenting...

The Lady-Killer's Guide to Sakura Taisen/Wars V

New York's a dangerous city. Broadway, steam-powered mechs, demonic creatures descending from the night sky, what's a tourist to do?

Find a significant other, of course. In Sakura Wars V, love's just as important as war, if not moreso.

But where to begin? Look no further than the following guide.

Gemini Sunrise

gemini.jpg

A very cheerful cowgirl who tends to be a bit clumsy. Her master's last words bring her from Texas to New York with her pet horse, Larry. She's not used to life in New York, but she dreams of becoming a Broadway musical star. She currently works at the theater as a cleaning girl.

Pros:
Samurai. Cowgirl. Samurai Cowgirl. Voiced by Laura Bailey, y'all. Redhead. Slices through robots with ease.

Cons
The main female character. Bound to require jumping through a dozen flaming hoops to even get the time of day from. (See also: Charlone Claudius, Growlanser 2)

Cheiron Archer
(aka Sagitta Weinberg, J)

cheiron.jpg

A strong-willed lawyer who practices out of Harlem. She's very intelligent and is recognized for her exceptional perseverence, toughness, independence, and confidence. Her calm and analytical, yet passionate, actions are a great asset to the Star Division.

Pros
Anti-stereotypical, strong-willed, looks good in a suit.

Cons
Serious business tends to mean serious issues. (See also: Mitsuru Kirijo, Persona 3)

Rosaritta Aries
aka Rikaritta Aries, J[/size][/color]

rosaritta.jpg

An energetic and upbeat little girl from Mexico. She loves to sing and dance. Wielding a gold and a silver gun in each hand, she earns bounties as a renowned bounty hunter. No matter how mad she gets, a little bit of food will always put a smile on her face. She and her ferret, Niccolo(Noco), are always running around New York looking for food and bounties together.

Pros

Capable of defending herself, likes pets, probably cooks a mean dish.

Cons

Do you want Chris Hansen knocking at your door? (See also: Iris Chateaubriand, Sakura Taisen 1-4)

Diana Caprice

diana.jpg

A young doctor whose compassion is comparable to a goddess. She studied medicine at Boston University before getting sent to New York as a doctor in training. She's physically feeble and has to use a wheelchair. She loves to spend time reading with birds in the warm sun. The only vegetarian in the Star Division.

Pros

Intelligent, medically trained, glasses.

Cons

It's always the quiet ones. (See also: Elizabeth, Persona 3)

Subaru Kujo

subaru.jpg

Her(?) true identity is completely unknown. However, Subaru is definitely from a noble Japanese family and excels at Noh and other traditional Japanese dances. She(?) is also a genius and it shows in her(?) elegant and graceful performances. Subaru, like Ratchet, used to be a member of the European Star Division.

Pros: Another sharp dresser, well mannered.

Cons It very well could be a trap. (See also:
Naoto Shirogane
, Persona 4)

Top Bottom