• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Indiana Jones and The Staff of Kings Review Thread

XGoldenboyX

Indiana Jones and The Staff of Kings

14035.jpg

- Wii Platform
- Publisher: Lucas Arts
- Developer: A2M
- Release date: June 9th

- Features
- Highly interactive environments.
- Chases and control vehicles, fly a biplane, wild elephant through the streets of Istanbul, navigate a raft down a raging river, Tank's and more.
- Explore exotic locations around the globe, from San Francisco's Chinatown to the lush jungles of Panama, Mayan Temples, Sudan desert, Istanbul palaces and others.
- Cooperative gameplay mission modes.
- Unlock four-player versus mode.
- More than 20 artifacts and rewarding unlockables.

Bonus: Classic Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis game! Wii Only.

- Tech
60fps triple buffering
bloom
anisotropic x4
soft shadows
full depth of field
indirect texturing
16:9
480p

Official Website: http://www.lucasarts.com/games/indianajones

Reviews:

1. examiner.com Thums up!
    Staff of Kings is one of the best Wii titles of 2009, nuff said.

http://www.examiner.com/x-1140-DC-V...n-Indiana-Jones-and-the-Staff-of-Kings-on-Wii

2. Nintendo Power 7.5

3. GamePro 3.5/5

4. GamesRadar 7/10

5. E4G 8/10

6. IGN 5/10

7. EuroGamer 5/10

8. pcworld.idg 3.5/5

9. Al.com A+ - http://blog.al.com/techcetera/2009/06/indiana_jones_and_the_staff_of.html

10. Daily News 4/5

11. commonsensemedia.org 4/5

12. Times Online 3/5

13. Game Informer 5.0/10

14. computerandvideogames.com 6.9/10

15. n4g.com 8/10

16. game.co 4Thums up!, 2Thums down! http://www.game.co.uk/lowdown.aspx?lid=11544

17. washingtontimes 4/5 http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/jun/09/zadzooks-indiana-jones-staff-of-kings-game-review/

indiana-jones-and-the-staff-of-kings-20090505094202087_640w.jpg

indiana-jones-and-the-staff-of-kings-20090402043030152_640w.jpg

indiana-jones-and-the-staff-of-kings-20090505094159306_640w.jpg

indiana-jones-and-the-staff-of-kings-20090402043101370_640w.jpg

indiana-jones-and-the-staff-of-kings-20090505094156024_640w.jpg

indiana-jones-and-the-staff-of-kings-20090505094120276_640w.jpg

Fate Of Atlantis

pc-indiana-jones-fate-of-atlantis.jpg

Indiana%20Jones%20and%20the%20Fate%20of%20Atlantis_6.png

Indiana%20Jones%20and%20the%20Fate%20of%20Atlantis_8.png

Indiana%20Jones%20and%20the%20Fate%20of%20Atlantis_5.png

Indiana%20Jones%20and%20the%20Fate%20of%20Atlantis_4.png

Ikaris

Awesome,

looks like the real Indy experience we've been waiting for !

Using the Wii-Mote as a whip = EPIC WIN

Nice screenshots for the Wii, sweet lighting

phil_fish

i worked on this game in another life.
dont think anything i did is still in there.
that game has been in dev for a long time.

CTLance

Aw man. Play.com claims that Indy4 needs to be unlocked. If that is true I will hunt down and debone whoever made that decision. :mad:

Shiggy

CTLance said:
Aw man. Play.com claims that Indy4 needs to be unlocked. If that is true I will hunt down and debone whoever made that decision. :mad:

Use your SD card and download a save file.

I'm debating on getting either this or The Conduit.

Conduit looks good, but I fell in love with the Indy movies so I will probably end up getting this and Conduit later down the road.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
CTLance said:

I'm willing to slog through a possibly mediocre game to get to the good stuff. We've already waited this long.

MiniDitka

CTLance said:
Gamestop is giving out a code that unlocks it. Not sure if its every game has its own code or they're all the same but I'll post the code when i get it just in case.

traynuvthawt said:

Conduit looks good, but I fell in love with the Indy movies so I will probably end up getting this and Conduit later down the road.

Same for me. My gf loves the Indy movies, I'm holding out to see how the coop/multi is.

traynuvthawt said:

I love Indy, but I'm leaning towards The Conduit.

parabolee

So upset they cancelled the 360/PS3 versions of this. Eagerly awaiting reviews so I can figure out which version to get. If the PS2 version is up to scratch I'll get that, at least I can play upscaled with HDMI on my PS3.

Although the PSP version might do it. I'll get the Wii version for Fate of Atlantis but I can't play the main game on Wii, hate waggle and the Wii looks like ass on my HDTV!

CamHostage

So, is LucasArts ever going to show anything of the DS/PSP/PS2 versions of the game? I'm getting worried that if I buy the PSP game and plug it in, all I'll get is a trailer for the Wii game.

jergrah

New Game Informer scored it a 5/10 and the 2nd opinion gave it a 4.5/10

--- Mostly functional, but hardly any of the game is fun. Combat, driving, flying and whip cracking are all handled poorly

EDarkness

Can't wait to try this also. I have the Wii version pre-ordered so just waiting for it to get here. I haven't played Fate of Atlantis in a LONG time, so it'll be nice running through it again. Seems like a good package and it's gotten pretty decent reviews. Which is surprising.

Torhthelm Tídwald said:
I would have sworn that they said this was in the DS game as well. Does anyone know for sure?

I'm 99.9% sure it's only Wii and I wonder how it will run on the console. We know ScummVM works like a charm, but if LucasArts thinkered with the code to make it playable as a stand alone, then they should really consider putting their P&C adventures on WiiWare (I know it will never happen...)

Did that one guy's post and all the responses to him just get deleted? :lol

Anyway it seems like the developers actually put some effort into this game.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Beyond Atlantis, what do we know of the other versions. Any differences? I'm particularly looking at the handhelds here.

CTLance

Hmmm. I like the , uh, streamlined thread.
jergrah said:
Mostly functional
Oh poop. If a gaming mag writes something like THAT I fear for the well-being of my console. That's like saying "Hey, it doesn't spontaneously combust, we wanted to spay our dog anyway, and wow look at that, the main menu is animated!".

EDarkness

CTLance said:
Hmmm. I like the , uh, streamlined thread.

Oh poop. If a gaming mag writes something like THAT I fear for the well-being of my console. That's like saying "Hey, it doesn't spontaneously combust, we wanted to spay our dog anyway, and wow look at that, the main menu is animated!".

I wouldn't worry about it. One thing I've learned from this generation is to ignore reviews for the most part on the Wii. Seems like it's hard to get an objective point of view and some people like motion controls and some don't. For that reason so many reviews are all over the place. Best to wait for hands on by the average player or try it yourself. It's the only way to know for sure.

XGoldenboyX

So upset they cancelled the 360/PS3 versions of this. Eagerly awaiting reviews so I can figure out which version to get. If the PS2 version is up to scratch I'll get that, at least I can play upscaled with HDMI on my PS3.

Although the PSP version might do it. I'll get the Wii version for Fate of Atlantis but I can't play the main game on Wii, hate waggle and the Wii looks like ass on my HDTV!

I say go with the WII version... It's the main game.

nincompoop said:
Did that one guy's post and all the responses to him just get deleted? :lol

Anyway it seems like the developers actually put some effort into this game.
Yeah, wtf? At least he's banned now.

MiniDitka

Just got the game and so far its pretty fun. I'll post some video in a bit. For those wanting the code to unlock FOA here it is.

Indy.jpg

parabolee

Just had a thought, how cool would it be if The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition does so well they do more classic Lucasarts adventure remakes! Like a HD version of Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis! That would be epic!

CamHostage

Mejilan said:
Beyond Atlantis, what do we know of the other versions. Any differences? I'm particularly looking at the handhelds here.

The PSP version is actually a totally different game by a different studio (at least, according to a NeoGAF thread from a while ago; the studios are different for sure but I don't know how different the gameplay is?) And the DS game, I have no clue about but it has to be its own game. I'm interested in one of the portable games too since the Wii game looked too fake with its canned animations for fighting.

parabolee

CamHostage said:
The PSP version is actually a totally different game by a different studio (at least, according to a NeoGAF thread from a while ago; the studios are different for sure but I don't know how different the gameplay is?) And the DS game, I have no clue about but it has to be its own game. I'm interested in one of the portable games too since the Wii game looked too fake with its canned animations for fighting.

Well I'll let you know if the PSP and PS2 versions are different in a few hours. I hope they are, it will make it worth me getting both.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
parabolee said:
Well I'll let you know if the PSP and PS2 versions are different in a few hours. I hope they are, it will make it worth me getting both.

Please do. Thanks.

Haunted

MiniDitka said:
Just got the game and so far its pretty fun. I'll post some video in a bit. For those wanting the code to unlock FOA here it is.
yeeaaahhh!

dammitmattt said:
Some of the animation is so terrible. I guess they completely threw out all of the Euphoria stuff...
I believe this is using havok physics, yes.

Phife Dawg said:
Yeah, wtf? At least he's banned now.
mods do this sometime to make a derailed thread more readable. Still a bit scary that posts can (and will be deleted), but that's NeoGAF for you. Not a democracy.

parabolee

Well I just played 30 mins of the PS2 version and it is HORRIBLE! My god it's a HUGE step back from Emperors Tomb! Graphics are HIDEOUS! Thank god I rented this!

Gonna try the PSP version now.

If it's different to the PS2/Wii version and the Wii version looks and plays better, then I'll grab that version. But my god the PS2 version is a MESS! Shamefully clunky animations and ugly graphics. Never player Emperors Tomb on PS2 but I can bet it looked better than this mess!

EDarkness

parabolee said:
Well I just played 30 mins of the PS2 version and it is HORRIBLE! My god it's a HUGE step back from Emperors Tomb! Graphics are HIDEOUS! Thank god I rented this!

Gonna try the PSP version now.

If it's different to the PS2/Wii version and the Wii version looks and plays better, then I'll grab that version. But my god the PS2 version is a MESS! Shamefully clunky animations and ugly graphics. Never player Emperors Tomb on PS2 but I can bet it looked better than this mess!

Not surprising. Generally, if the company doesn't show a version, then it's probably bad. Generally a bad sign. Wii version looks cool, though. Let us know how the PSP version is, as I'm curious about that one as well.

parabolee

Well I just played the PSP version for 5 mins and thought I'd report real quick.

It's a completely different game for a start and from what I can tell, it's a better game. The Indy likeness is a little better and the graphics are really good,. It looks better than the PS2 version but is still a PSP game.

I'll play it a while and let you all know how I feel later. Think I have to grab that Wii version now!

CamHostage

parabolee said:
Well I just played the PSP version for 5 mins and thought I'd report real quick.

It's a completely different game for a start and from what I can tell, it's a better game. The Indy likeness is a little better and the graphics are really good,. It looks better than the PS2 version but is still a PSP game.

Good man, thank you!

Top Bottom