• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Indiana Jones and The Staff of Kings Review Thread

_Angelus_

Banned
parabolee said:
Well I just played 30 mins of the PS2 version and it is HORRIBLE! My god it's a HUGE step back from Emperors Tomb! Graphics are HIDEOUS! Thank god I rented this!

Gonna try the PSP version now.

If it's different to the PS2/Wii version and the Wii version looks and plays better, then I'll grab that version. But my god the PS2 version is a MESS! Shamefully clunky animations and ugly graphics. Never player Emperors Tomb on PS2 but I can bet it looked better than this mess!

Fuck me...the PS2 version sounds really bad :(
I don't own a Wii either. Damnit.
No hint of a PC version coming at all?

On the fourth level outta 10 now. Still alot of fun and some of the puzzles are really neat. Still def has the Indy Vibe. So far been playing for about 2 and a half hours. So probably looking at a 8 -10 hour game.

BTW the shooting segments sorta play out like Disaster Day of Crisis. When you need to use the gun, you pop out from cover, use the wii remote to aim, and pop shoots off till everyone is dead.

laserbeam

Banned
Angelus said:
Fuck me...the PS2 version sounds really bad :(
I don't own a Wii either. Damnit.
No hint of a PC version coming at all?

They delibertly avoided PC/HD due to costs. Wii was the lead console and the company who made the game isnt exactly very good anyways so its very likely the PS2 port is very shoddy.

A Lead game designed around motion controls etc I cant imagine doing well in translation to normal controls

laserbeam said:
They delibertly avoided PC/HD due to costs.

LucasArts didn't "avoid" an HD version - they were just forced to cancel it due to development on those platforms turning into an unsalvageable clusterfuck.

laserbeam

Banned
Father_Brain said:
LucasArts didn't "avoid" an HD version - they were just forced to cancel it due to development on those platforms turning into an unsalvageable clusterfuck.

I was trying to be diplomatic about it :p

Somnia

I'm really enjoying the Wii game so far. All the long ass tutorials at the beginning were a bit annoying, but after that it really picked up. Looks pretty good for a Wii game too. Sometimes the "waggle" controls do not respond fast enough, but other than that I'm enjoying it. I'd say at least rent it!

Ok I take it back. The game was over in about 4.5 hours.

The end sequence I must say was really fun and awesome looking. Wouldnt recommened a purchase... IF it didn't have Fate of Atlantis.

Overall Staff of Kings was fun. Had some issues with the combat. Shooting segments were fun. Puzzles were nice. Graphics pretty dang good.

Overall a solid but extremely short game. :D

XGoldenboyX

GameFAQs User Review
Hello. Yes, I got the official retail game early. I don't belive in piracy. And just to put some minds at ease, this game is awesome....one of the most fun wii games I've played yet.....and fully worth the price of admission (and it even comes with a free movie ticket if you preordered from gamespot).

The positives....
The full Fate of Atlantis, an amazing game, is packed in here, complete with upscaling options (to smooth out the pixels), and the original full voiceovers, which practically made this an instant purchase for me.
And for ppl paranoid about the stupid gamespot code to unlock, while yes, the code unlocks it, you have to put the code in every time to unlock it. The silly thing is, however, is that within beating the first level, sudan, you can have fate of atlantis unlocked normally and never need the code again, so it's kind of pointless.

The Staff of Kings itself is a fun, graphically good game, that really captures the feel of the indy world. Graphics look great, indy looks like young indy (this is set in 39, between the first two films), and while others may beg to differ, I think the voiceover work is great. The music is classic john williams, and the sound effects are excellent, with the whip being particularly potent. While I dread motion controls, they work well in this game, and the combat system offers so many options, that it keeps the motion controls fun and fresh, instead of annoying and tacked on.

Lastly, the game has a very cool rewards system, with glory awards (like achievements) that actually unlock cool features like a combat arena.

And last but not least, and I'm annoyed I can't play it, but there is a co-op mode with single story levels featuring indy and his dad....I was able to start one with two controllers, but obviously couldn't play. ...but it looks awesome and each level has a cool graphic picture beginning....

Any negatives?
yeah,
no lock on camera is annoying
enemy ai is pretty weak, but that's okay since the camera doesn't lock on enemies.

Overall though, I'm LOVING the game, and with the great non annoying controls, perfect FOA port, and super fun gameplay, I couldn't be happier with this purchase....

parabolee

OK so I played the PSP version for a few hours. It's pretty good, kinda like Emperors Tomb-LITE. Levels are very small to suit handheld gaming and it look's really nice.

Not the Indy game I have been waiting for, but a nice diversion. For those that really love Indy and will put up with an average game just to play some Indy goodness. I can say happily that the PSP version is better than that. I'd give it a B+.

Really glad to hear people say the Wii version is good. Going to grab it today for sure.

parabolee

Jefklak said:
Same, if this includes the voice acting & subtitles.
Does it?

I believe it is the full CD talkie version of the game. I finished again just recently with SCUMMVM and wow does that game hold up! Best Indy game ever!

+Aliken+

poppabk said:
Wish we got this game as well.
Indiana%20Jones%20and%20the%20Last%20Crusade_1.jpg

I can still here the music in my head :)

Again, my main complaint with the game is just the short length. I was wrong in thinking there was ten levels, Each level it broke into checkpoints and I was looking at the wrong stats. There is really only 6 levels if I remember correctly from last night.

The game definetly captured the look, feel, and vibe from the indiana jones movies, maybe more so then any of the other games aside from Fate of Atlantis (which is luckily included!)

And again I felt the last part of the game was awesome looking. Me and my friend were in awe actually, and the funny thing was, a big thunderstorm was going on outside when we played the part and it fit so well with the end! :D

parabolee

From that video it seems the Wii version has the same clunky animations as the PS2 version. Why does Indy lean so far forward when running? Looks bad.

However the Wii version clearly has some very nice lighting effect that make the game MUCH nicer to look at when compared to the butt ugly PS2 version.

Also in the PSP version Indy has his satchel bag! It's missing in the Wii version! Come on Lucasarts how could you miss such and important part of his costume?

D.Lo

So the PSP version is an entirely different game? I might get both if that's the case. Anyone know if the DS version is any good?

Mifune

Mehmber
For anyone who has played the game, how's the story? An Indy game just isn't an Indy game without a good story.

Whimsical Phil

Ninja School will help you
Jefklak said:
Same, if this includes the voice acting & subtitles.
Does it?
I picked up the game yesterday, and yes, The Fate of Atlantis does have both subtitles and the original voice acting.

And that GameFAQs review is correct. You really don't need that code to unlock the game. You should be able to unlock Fate permanently by just playing through the first level of Staff of Kings (which takes maybe 20 minutes).

You have to earn one of the achievement-style Glory Points to unlock Fate of Atlantis. There are two to earn in the first stage (
use your whip to pull a shack down on three bad guys at once and shoot down four enemy planes during the flying segment
), and I earned both of them my first time through without even knowing what they were.

_Angelus_

Banned
laserbeam said:
They delibertly avoided PC/HD due to costs. Wii was the lead console and the company who made the game isnt exactly very good anyways so its very likely the PS2 port is very shoddy.

A Lead game designed around motion controls etc I cant imagine doing well in translation to normal controls

Ok thanks for the information bub.
Fuck it all to hell with my spelling today. Umm...may have to get a Wii for this. Its not like I haven't been eyeing the system since its home to some damn good SEGA games anyways. Keep the Indy impressions and reviews coming in. The more I read the closer I'm inclined to become a Wii60 gamer now.

EDarkness

Glad to see so many positive impressions. For those who have the game already, can you guys comment on FoA? What's the quality like? Is it exactly like the old game? Did they make any changes?

parabolee

Whimsical Phil said:
I picked up the game yesterday, and yes, The Fate of Atlantis does have both subtitles and the original voice acting.

Can you turn off the subtitles? Can't find a way to do that, shame because they are distracting and unnecessary when you have full voice acting.

No changes at all. Added a pretty ugly huge hand pointer for Wii though. No good graphics filters like SCUMMVM either. Game still looks great though, have yet to see how it handles the fighting though.

parabolee

So I played the first 2 hours of the Wii version and I have to say it's not very good.

What a disappointment! SIX years we wait for another real Indiana Jones game and we get a very sub-par outing like this?!

It's not horrible, and it's fun as an Indy fan. But I am kinda forcing myself to like it. With no Indy license this would be bargain basement garbage that you would be foolish to play this with so many great games out to choose from.

The truth is that this game is not even close to being as good as the Emperors Tomb! The graphics are pretty good for a Wii game, especially the environments and lighting. But the character models look like an average PS2 game and the animations are pretty crappy too. The character models in Emperors Tomb are far superior.

From what I can tell the PSP version seems to be the best version! I'd give the PSP version a B+ and the Wii version a B-.

I certainly could not recommend this game to anyone who wasn't a a hardcore Indy fan unless it was for the AWESOME Fate of Atlantis, you would be better off grabbing Emperors Tomb and playing it on 360 via backwards compatibility. You would be amazed how much better ET looks on 360 than SoK does on Wii. And ET is SIX years old! But make no mistake it's not just the graphics that fall short in this game, the controls are clunky, the puzzles hold your hand and seem designed for children, the combat is painfully not fun and the whole game just feels average.

The shooting section are pretty fun, even though they are very by the book, wait for enemy to stop shooting (same paten every time) then shoot at them or convenient object to fall on them. And the story seems interesting.

A fun diversion for sure, and better than nothing for hardcore Indy fans, but after such a long wait, this is kinda heart breaking! Especially when we just got a new movie and this is the best we get as a video game companion. Well except the excellent Lego Indy.

At least we can all play Fate of Atlantis, which is probably the best Indy game ever made!

Now PLEASE LucasArts get back to work on a true current gen (as in PS3 and/or 360) so we can play a great Indy game early next decade!

EDIT: For comparison I give you Staff of Kings Vs Emperors Tomb:-

Staff of Kings (This is the best likeness of Indy in the game I have seen so far)
indiana-jones-and-the-staff-of-kings-20090402043101370_640w.jpg

Emperors Tomb
ss_preview_jan037b.jpg

Staff of Kings
indiana-jones-and-the-staff-of-kings-20090402043103916_640w.jpg

Emperors Tomb
ss_preview_mar0310b.jpg

Staff of Kings
indiana-jones-and-the-staff-of-kings-20090505094120276_640w.jpg

Emperors Tomb
ss_preview_jan035b.jpg

EDarkness

Hmmm... you had me until...

Now PLEASE LucasArts get back to work on a true current gen (as in PS3 and/or 360) so we can play a great Indy game early next decade!

What the hell does being on the 360/PS3 mean? Seems to me you're only upset about the graphics. Yeah, yeah. I read what you said, but your complaint comes back to the graphics side of things.

Well, I guess I'll just go back to playing my xbox Indy game. How did they overlook giving him facial scruff and the satchel? :lol

EDarkness

Superblatt said:
Well, I guess I'll just go back to playing my xbox Indy game. How did they overlook giving him facial scruff and the satchel? :lol

Dude, try it yourself before you write off the game. Most of the comments and reviews have been pretty positive.

Xellos

Played this for a bit and I'm enjoying it so far. Combat doesn't flow as smoothly as I would like, but it's still fun. I enjoyed the variety present in the tutorial stage -- flying the plane with tilt controls works very well. My biggest gripe so far is the loading screen. When the game loads it has this bland screen of Indy's back and the music stops entirely. It's a shame because it would have been very easy to mask loading with the "traveling red line" from the movies combined with some of classic Indy fanfare (Lego Indy did this and also substituted footprints if Indy wasn't traveling very far).

I did play a bit farther to unlock Fate of Atlantis, and what a nostalgia trip that is. Brings back a lot of fond memories. I look forward to playing through it.

gamingeek

Gamesradar review:

http://www.gamesradar.com/wii/india...a-20090610154536526003/g-20090302164437750005

We’re playing one of the greatest adventure games ever made, a title with excellent dialogue, a wonderful plot and satisfyingly fiendish puzzling. But enough about Fate of Atlantis – what about Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings? :lol

But perhaps we’re being hasty. To describe Staff of Kings as a game seems a bit disingenuous – this is a collection of smaller sub-games, similar to Disaster: Day of Crisis. There are puzzley platform bits, typically involving copious whip-cracking and vigorous remote-pumpage; there’s brilliant environmental combat, which lets you hurl pool balls at bad guys, shove enemies into aquariums or whack them in the head with garden tools. On-rails gun battles will also occasionally break out, dumping Indy behind cover and letting you peek out and aim with the remote.

7/10

XGoldenboyX said:
The music is classic john williams
Yes, it actually is classic John Williams as they lifted most of the soundtrack from the movies... Already heard cues from "The Basket Game", "The Spell of the Skull" and "Irina's Theme". Maybe it's even the same recordings.

gamingeek said:
But perhaps we’re being hasty. To describe Staff of Kings as a game seems a bit disingenuous – this is a collection of smaller sub-games, similar to Disaster: Day of Crisis. There are puzzley platform bits, typically involving copious whip-cracking and vigorous remote-pumpage; there’s brilliant environmental combat, which lets you hurl pool balls at bad guys, shove enemies into aquariums or whack them in the head with garden tools. On-rails gun battles will also occasionally break out, dumping Indy behind cover and letting you peek out and aim with the remote.

7/10

Now that's convincing me! I loved the changing gameplay of Disaster!

EDarkness said:
Hmmm... you had me until...

What the hell does being on the 360/PS3 mean? Seems to me you're only upset about the graphics. Yeah, yeah. I read what you said, but your complaint comes back to the graphics side of things.

av-5040.jpg

Mithos

XGoldenboyX said:
Indiana Jones and The Staff of Kings

- Tech
Amazing Wii graphics and Lighting effects.
60fps triple buffering
bloom
anisotropic x4
soft shadows
full depth of field
indirect texturing
16:9
480p

And still the game looks like crap, I want my money back, 3rd party fail again. =(

XGoldenboyX

And still the game looks like crap, I want my money back, 3rd party fail again. =(

I can agree with you on the NPC characters that can be PS2 standards, but the rest of the game is pretty good looking!

mclem

Versipellis said:
I'm 99.9% sure it's only Wii and I wonder how it will run on the console. We know ScummVM works like a charm, but if LucasArts thinkered with the code to make it playable as a stand alone, then they should really consider putting their P&C adventures on WiiWare (I know it will never happen...)

I'm curious about how they handled the combat in FoA; that's the sort of situation that could possibly benefit from changing to joypad controls for those sequences, since they basically work like a basic beat-em-up; did they do anything smart or do they expect you to fight using the remote in the pointer orentation?

Top Bottom