• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Islamic Thread

Salih

i want one of those turbans for myself 'lol'.

@mosque in Xian: If i haven't recognize the arabic writing i would have thought it is a typical chinese temple ^^ masha'Allah.

that reminds me of that short documentory i watched a couple days ago: The Rise of Islam in Japan - one thing i kind of found funny but also sad was how japanese converts weren't allowed at first to do the hajj / get to the Kaaba 'cause the arabic authorities didn't want to believe that japanese converts do actually exist.

i want one of those turbans for myself 'lol'.
The turban itself is just a long piece of cloth :) it is the caps that are hard to get. If you are in the states, Shukr does some nice stuff, but I had never (before Xinjiang) found a nice hard turban cap.

It was $1.50 as well!

I do! Thanks.

Here is the answer given by a local Sheikh (in Sydney) by the name of Imam Afroz Ali:

Wa Alaikum Assalaam sidi. There is no categorical proof for animals having or not having a Ruh. however by implied understanding of the Ruh, every living creation does have a Ruh because it is which implant life into a being.

As for what h
appens to them upon death, they certainly turn to dust and do not experience any of the tribulations that humans do. In regards to the Day of Judgement, the dominant opinion is that as Allah Wills all those animals that is to give testimony will be resurrected, and potentially all animals will be resurrected, fulfil their role for the Day of Judgment and then disappear from entire existence. There is also opinion that the animals of the Heavens is as Allah Wills for the Servant who desires them.

Allah knows best.

Salih

Thanks a lot for that. That is certainly another opinion i am going to keep in mind.

btw. how did you spend Lailat al-Qadr? Our community usually puts it on the night between the 26th / 27th of ramadan. i heard other muslims pray on other nights for Lailat al-Qadr. just curious ^^

Thanks a lot for that. That is certainly another opinion i am going to keep in mind.

btw. how did you spend Lailat al-Qadr? Our community usually puts it on the night between the 26th / 27th of ramadan. i heard other muslims pray on other nights for Lailat al-Qadr. just curious ^^
No worries :D
Asking a Sheikh on facebook is easy lol.

Normally spend a few nights at the Masjid, my position being that while the Night of Power may likely be the 27th, we should also look for it on other nights. Didn't get to this year because I'm working nights, which is lame.

What is everyone's Eid plans? I'm going shopping for a new Panjabi or Thaub tomorrow insha'Allah. Pray in the morning with the in laws, then go to their house for mishti. Then probably work in the afternoon.

Sucks.

OG Kush

Whats peopls opinion here on being able to eat all religiously blessed me? As in from Christian or Jewish sources? I know we can I eat Kosher meat but my mother brought home from her Islamic class a 10 page essay on how we can actually also eats Christian blessed meat. This doesn't mean being able to eat any meat wherever you go, but as in if you go to a Christian person's house you can eat it. I really should read more into it, and I can provide scans if mother still has it.
This is a mosque in Xian, China, that was built in 70 hijrah!

IMG-20120615-WA0011.jpg
Wow, beautiful! I also love the fact they kept their chinese architecture. It really annoys me that people always mix arab culture with Islam. Just because Islam as we know it now originated in Saudi Arabia does not mean everyone has to adopt their cultural ways. As long as your cultural acts/whatever don't conflict with Islam then why worry?

Whats peopls opinion here on being able to eat all religiously blessed me? As in from Christian or Jewish sources? I know we can I eat Kosher meat but my mother brought home from her Islamic class a 10 page essay on how we can actually also eats Christian blessed meat. This doesn't mean being able to eat any meat wherever you go, but as in if you go to a Christian person's house you can eat it. I really should read more into it, and I can provide scans if mother still has it.

Even kosher is suspect for many madhabs, because a Rabbi often blesses a group of cattle which are then slaughtered, the first of which would be the only one upon whom the name of God is said over, and therefore being permissable to eat.

As it is, I don't know any Christians who recite prayers over their food before slaughter and slaughter it in the same way as the Jews. Unless the integrals of the slaughter are met (dua, slitting of neck, no torture or excessive harm to the animal etc) I wouldn't risk it.

Even then it is suspect a lot of the time.

http://seekersguidance.org/ans-blog/2011/03/19/can-we-eat-meat-slaughtered-by-jews-and-christians/

Wow, beautiful! I also love the fact they kept their chinese architecture. It really annoys me that people always mix arab culture with Islam. Just because Islam as we know it now originated in Saudi Arabia does not mean everyone has to adopt their cultural ways. As long as your cultural acts/whatever don't conflict with Islam then why worry?

Emulating the Arabs has its benefits, as seperating many of their cultural customs from the Sunnah of the Messenger of God (sullAllahu alayhi wasalaam) is quite difficult. Also what is Arab architecture? :p

why is the oppression of Rohingya muslims in burma being ignored by the world?

bangladesh are turning away muslims fleeing oppression. Shaikh Hasina has shown her true colors once again.

Ydahs

Easiest Ramadan in terms of fasting down here in Australia. Been cold for most days.

Put on a couple of kilos though and will put on at least a couple more with Eid coming. All those irresistible sweets :(

This is a mosque in Xian, China, that was built in 70 hijrah!

IMG-20120615-WA0011.jpg
Amazing. I absolutely adore non-traditional mosque designs. Any more pictures like this?

I never knew Islam penetrated China so early after hijrah. Gotta read up on that history.

edit: woah, an even older mosque in China - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huaisheng_Mosque

I guess many Chinese passed through Makkah back then, it was a major merchant town at that time after all.

F#A#Oo

Banned
why is the oppression of Rohingya muslims in burma being ignored by the world?

bangladesh are turning away muslims fleeing oppression. Shaikh Hasina has shown her true colors once again.

Yeah...shits terrible...I heard Bangladesh is even keeping aid workers out...which is just detestable.

eid mubarak everyone! as usual, fasting ends when my body is completely used to it :(

Yeah...shits terrible...I heard Bangladesh is even keeping aid workers out...which is just detestable.

the entire country is a mess. you havent seen true corruption and general hopelessness unless youve lived there. just a sorry state of affairs.

Emulating the Arabs has its benefits, as seperating many of their cultural customs from the Sunnah of the Messenger of God (sullAllahu alayhi wasalaam) is quite difficult. Also what is Arab architecture? :p

Well, that's pretty lame (from an outside perspective), what makes the world so interesting is that it is so culturally diverse. Hope you guys never get a worldwide empire :p

As for arab architecture, I usually think of rectangular buildings combined with circular/semi-circular shapes (domes, archways, etc), and spires, as well hexagonal/octogonal patterns and other ornate, symmetrical patterns.

EGY-Cairo-pbAlfredMolon2.jpg

zestaw_bud_arab_02.jpg

789258-old-arab-architecture--urban-details.jpg

New-United-Arab-Emirates-Parliament-Building-Complex-by-Ehrlich-Architects-011.jpg

2881389360_99a515c8d7.jpg

dubai-architecture10.jpg

775845-old-arab-architecture--urban-details.jpg

It's a nice style, but I wouldn't want it to be the only one.

edit: woah, an even older mosque in China - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huaisheng_Mosque

I guess many Chinese passed through Makkah back then, it was a major merchant town at that time after all.

The problem with that mosque is that the people there claim that Sa'd bin Abi Waqaas radhiallahu anhu is buried there, when he isn't. The grave is even labelled in Arabic as قبر أبي وقاص (qabr Abi Waqaas or grave of Abi Waqaas). Problem is, in Arabic, "Sa'd bin Abi Waqaas" means "Sa'd, son of Abi Waqaas") so either this Abi Waqaas was the father of Sa'd bin Abi Waqaas rahdiallahu anhu (which is not possible) or some other person who was named Abi Waqaas (most probable explanation).

What you've mentioned is Islamic architecture, not Arab architecture. There were no domes or minarets in Arabia before Islam and if there were domes, they belonged to Christians and were probably an import from Europe.

As for symmetry, that is a result of Islamic architecture, since Islam forbids physical representations of living creatures (animals and human beings) so architects and artists had to make do with what they had, which was to work with geometrical shapes and come up with patterns. Even the Chinese mosques depicted would fall under Islamic architecture since there is a conscious effort to not incorporate animate beings, such as dragons and animals so often found in Chinese architecture.

Domes are probably the result of Arabs adopting it from the Byzantines and then bringing the idea to other Muslim countries. As for the minarets, they are a practical part of Islamic culture as the muaththin would climb atop them and call people to prayer.

One of the major reasons that many mosques go for the dome+minaret look is because they have become a distinctive symbol of Islam, especially in the West, where it is difficult to locate mosques.

And there was going to be a gigantic, very non-traditional, modern mosque that was going to be built in the UK near the Olympic stadium but petitioning by Islamophobes under the guise of "protecting the environment". Right now, the project is in limbo due to various controversies being linked to the mosque. Most of these claims are utter fabrications, such as the claim of terrorism link (surprise surprise!). Read this utter nonsense to see the level of hatred against the group that is building the mosque.

Here's the website of the architect and the proposed design of the mosque:
http://www.myaa.eu/projects-detail/?id=1059&filter_by=region&value=europe

The problem with that mosque is that the people there claim that Sa'd bin Abi Waqaas radhiallahu anhu is buried there, when he isn't. The grave is even labelled in Arabic as قبر أبي وقاص (qabr Abi Waqaas or grave of Abi Waqaas). Problem is, in Arabic, "Sa'd bin Abi Waqaas" means "Sa'd, son of Abi Waqaas") so either this Abi Waqaas was the father of Sa'd bin Abi Waqaas rahdiallahu anhu (which is not possible) or some other person who was named Abi Waqaas (most probable explanation).

What you've mentioned is Islamic architecture, not Arab architecture. There were no domes or minarets in Arabia before Islam and if there were domes, they belonged to Christians and were probably an import from Europe.

As for symmetry, that is a result of Islamic architecture, since Islam forbids physical representations of living creatures (animals and human beings) so architects and artists had to make do with what they had, which was to work with geometrical shapes and come up with patterns. Even the Chinese mosques depicted would fall under Islamic architecture since there is a conscious effort to not incorporate animate beings, such as dragons and animals so often found in Chinese architecture.

Domes are probably the result of Arabs adopting it from the Byzantines and then bringing the idea to other Muslim countries. As for the minarets, they are a practical part of Islamic culture as the muaththin would climb atop them and call people to prayer.

One of the major reasons that many mosques go for the dome+minaret look is because they have become a distinctive symbol of Islam, especially in the West, where it is difficult to locate mosques.

And there was going to be a gigantic, very non-traditional, modern mosque that was going to be built in the UK near the Olympic stadium but petitioning by Islamophobes under the guise of "protecting the environment". Right now, the project is in limbo due to various controversies being linked to the mosque. Most of these claims are utter fabrications, such as the claim of terrorism link (surprise surprise!). Read this utter nonsense to see the level of hatred against the group that is building the mosque.

Here's the website of the architect and the proposed design of the mosque:
http://www.myaa.eu/projects-detail/?id=1059&filter_by=region&value=europe

Well, if most buildings in the arab world are a result of islamic architecture then arab architecture has become that. I would like to see examples of non-Islamic arab architecture though - it sounds intriguing.

That modern mosque looks quite distinct, but would it really work as a mosque without the prayer tower?

F#A#Oo

Banned
Yeah Abbey Mills Mosque will never go through...Plans are too big and there is too much Islamophobia...

My local mosque has been turned down for the last 10-15 years for building another mosque elsewhere in the borough...at the minute the current capacity is 300-400 people...and for Jumu'ah prayer we have to have 2-3 seperate Jumu'ah's every Friday and today for Eid we had 4. Ridiculous.

So we have a saving fund set up for the day that the local council allows for the community to finally have a mosque built.

jerry1594

Well, if most buildings in the arab world are a result of islamic architecture then arab architecture has become that. I would like to see examples of non-Islamic arab architecture though - it sounds intriguing.

That modern mosque looks quite distinct, but would it really work as a mosque without the prayer tower?

I'd classify it as Islamic still since not everybody in the Middle East/North Africa (Islamic World) is an Arab.

F#A#Oo

Banned

Prayer tower?You mean minaret right?

Minaret's are not required infact there is no requirement for a mosque other than having enough space for praying and probably having a toilet/washroom.

Salih

Eid mubarak my fellow brothers and sisters in Islam :)

May Allah (swt) accept your prayers and duas. Insha'Allah we will keep our iman at this high 'level' till the next ramadan.

A lot of mosques don't have a prayer tower/minaret. The practicality of minarets is redundant ever since we have had loudspeakers and microphones. It's just that they didn't exist for about 1300 years so Muslims had to make do with minarets.

Also, before indoor plumbing, there used to be a central fountain in the courtyard of mosques that was used to perform ablution (it still exists in many historical mosques, such as the Umayyad Mosque of Damascus but is now little more than a decoration) yet majority of mosques today do not have this but have replaced it with dedicated wudhu/ablution areas.

people can correct me if I am wrong but I thought domes were imported from Byzantine/Roman churches

Yes, we can clearly see this when we see the Hagia Sophia, which used to be a Christian cathedral/basilica (whatever those giant churches are called) and was built in the pre-Islamic era.

Eid Mubarak y'all :D sorry for late post, so busy I didn't have time to post lol.

How did everyone spend their eid?

I got to go out to Lakemba and Bankstown (Muslim ghettos in Sydney) on the night after Eid maghrib :D was so awesome, Haldon Street (the main drag in Lakemba) was lit up and all the shops were open. People were cooking Camel burgers on bbqs in the street and we had knefeh in this sweet shop and just watched the whole street celebrate.

Then went to Eid salat nearby my house in the morning. Was massive, like 2000 people crammed into the parade ground of this small school. Then went back to my in laws and had all the Bengali sweets I could eat. Then work, which finished early and went visiting.
540245_458066120881760_1465782588_n.jpg

My Eid clothes :)

Just got the news that one of the prominent Shaykhs here in Sydney has been martyred in Syria. His name was Sheikh Mustapha Majzoub. Inna lillahi wa inna lilayhi raji'un.

Spare a dua for him insha'Allah.

He, on the edge of taking leave from life,
On the edge of the path of continuous silence,
He who would win hundreds of breaths,
By giving out one breath,
Yes,
At the cost of a free and independant life,
The youth who got love's inspiration from a butterfly,
He slept beside the burning light,
He got burnt, he did business with his head.

-Abdul Wali Halimyar, 'Martyr Friend'.

http://muslimvillage.com/2012/08/20...sheikh-mustapha-al-majzoub-martyred-in-syria/

Eid Mubarak y'all :D sorry for late post, so busy I didn't have time to post lol.

How did everyone spend their eid?

I got to go out to Lakemba and Bankstown (Muslim ghettos in Sydney) on the night after Eid maghrib :D was so awesome, Haldon Street (the main drag in Lakemba) was lit up and all the shops were open. People were cooking Camel burgers on bbqs in the street and we had knefeh in this sweet shop and just watched the whole street celebrate.

Then went to Eid salat nearby my house in the morning. Was massive, like 2000 people crammed into the parade ground of this small school. Then went back to my in laws and had all the Bengali sweets I could eat. Then work, which finished early and went visiting.
540245_458066120881760_1465782588_n.jpg

My Eid clothes :)
Great stuff. I did my Eid in Saudi Arabia for the first time in 11 years. God I missed it so much. Open ground, throngs of faithful waiting for the sun to rise to it's right spot. It was beautiful. Best part? The Eid prayer wasn't turned into an excuse for a fashion show by the boys and girls. Everyone had prayer in mind. I liked the simplicity of it and it felt 1000 times more spiritual. I hope every Muslim gets a chance to pray Eid salat in KSA. You will get major perspectative.

http://freehalab.wordpress.com/2012/08/21/shaykh-al-yaqoubi-on-the-position-of-shaykh-al-buti/

If only all scholars has such adhab as Shaykh al-Yaqoubi, Allah preserve him!

Great stuff. I did my Eid in Saudi Arabia for the first time in 11 years. God I missed it so much. Open ground, throngs of faithful waiting for the sun to rise to it's right spot. It was beautiful. Best part? The Eid prayer wasn't turned into an excuse for a fashion show by the boys and girls. Everyone had prayer in mind. I liked the simplicity of it and it felt 1000 times more spiritual. I hope every Muslim gets a chance to pray Eid salat in KSA. You will get major perspectative.
It was similar here, at least at the place I went :D of course it was a little bit of a fashion show, in that people wore their best clothes, of which there is no blame, it is only fitting!

http://www.aa.com.tr/en/rss/76336--a

Nearly 10,000 Japanese Muslims are living in Japan, the president of the Japan Muslim Association said on Tuesday.

This figure was very low in a country whose population was nearly 130 million, Amin K. Tokumasu told AA correspondent.

Tokumasu said that the association aimed to increase the number of Muslims in Japan.

There were no records showing the number of Muslims in Japan, thus they did not know exact number of Muslims in the country, the president said, adding but they predicted that about 100,000 Muslims including 10,000 Japanese were living in Japan.

Tokumasu said that they wanted more number of Japanese people to get informed about Islam, stating that they wanted establishment of a culture center near Tokyo Mosque. The association aimed to introduce Islam in Japan by history, culture and civilization, Tokumasu added.

Reporting by Neslihan Dogan

I don't believe in the supernatural and I'm worried that giving religion room in the political arena will promote superstition, pseudoscience, and non-critical thinking. I also have concerns about religion's teachings regarding sex education, equality, and treatment of minority groups.

I don't believe in the supernatural and I'm worried that giving religion room in the political arena will promote superstition, pseudoscience, and non-critical thinking. I also have concerns about religion's teachings regarding sex education, equality, and treatment of minority groups.

If you don't believe in the supernatural then you would surely consider religion to be man made, yes?

In that case, how do you distinguish religion from any other kind of moral underpinning for a political philosophy?

You would of course know that liberalism, rights based discourse etc. etc. all stem initially from religious understandings. Would you dismiss those because of that?

I'm not saying religion can't generate interesting and useful philosophies, and politicians are welcome to draw inspiration from those. The distinction between religion and other ideology is whether or not they include supernatural elements.

I'm not saying religion can't generate interesting and useful philosophies and politicians are welcome to draw inspiration from those. The distinction between religion and other ideology is whether or not they include supernatural elements or not.

But you don't buy the supernatural elements. So what why would that distinction be cause for a desire that religion specifically (as oppossed to ideology, which I assume you are okay with) being involved in politics?

Top Bottom