• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (PSP) Import thread of Convoluted Nonsense

Peff

The Ansem thing is like the laughing scene from FFX, I've never understood why people have so many problems with it. It's simple, really:

A dude named Xehanort steals the real Ansem's identity (who becomes DiZ), and then splits himself in two, the big bad from the first game and the big bad from the second game. And that's it.

Peff said:
The Ansem thing is like the laughing scene from FFX, I've never understood why people have so many problems with it. It's simple, really:

A dude named Xehanort steals the real Ansem's identity (who becomes DiZ), and then splits himself in two, the big bad from the first game and the big bad from the second game. And that's it.

Well, Riku's appearance also changes to the big bad from the first game.

Also, pretty much all those characters are referred to as "Ansem" at one point or another. When you just call them "Big Bad #1" and "Big Bad #2," of course it doesn't seem confusing.

It's pretty much the gold standard for narrative clusterfucks, and Kojima is wicked jealous.

duckroll

Peff said:

If you can read your own post and not see why people have a problem with that in terms of bad storytelling, then I can't help you. But you should get ready to retcon that statement too, once BbS is out. It's very likely that the dude named Xehanort was never Xehanort to begin with, and simply Terra in some form who wanders into Radiant Garden without memories and is found and taken in by Ansem. The reason he is named Xehanort is because that's the only name he remembers - the name of Master Xehanort, the bald guy in BbS.

Yeaaaaaaaah! :lol

Peff

duckroll said:
If you can read your own post and not see why people have a problem with that in terms of bad storytelling, then I can't help you. But you should get ready to retcon that statement too, once BbS is out. It's very likely that the dude named Xehanort was never Xehanort to begin with, and simply Terra in some form who wanders into Radiant Garden without memories and is found and taken in by Ansem. The reason he is named Xehanort is because that's the only name he remembers - the name of Master Xehanort, the bald guy in BbS.

Oh, I'm not defending it, I'm just pointing out that, on a base level, it's a smaller deal than many people make it out to be.

I was going to add than second part too, but then it would have defeated the point of my original post, wouldn't it :lol ?

Rpgmonkey

I gave up on whatever's going on in these long ago.

Now I just like hitting stuff with a key that's apparently supposed to be a sword.

rainer516

That crazy Japanese Moon Language
I like the part where you hit the buttons and cool stuff sparks out of your key sword and then Donald screams and throws magic stuff from a blackmage staff. Donald is in this game right? This is very important and will influence my purchase.

DMeisterJ

Banned
The OP wins one internet.

And I can't wait to play this game. The story is nonsensical and makes me cringe, but it's a fun game to play.

Peff

rainer516 said:
I like the part where you hit the buttons and cool stuff sparks out of your key sword and then Donald screams and throws magic stuff from a blackmage staff. Donald is in this game right? This is very important and will influence my purchase.

He
is in, but he's not a permanent party member like usual, it's more like in CoM

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
duckroll said:

We figured out the major plot twist here folks.

Korey

PataHikari said:
The KH plot isn't that complex guys.

It just requires A) Suspension of Disbelief. Seeing as I'm playing a game with Donald Duck in it I think I can do that. B) Playing the games in the series.

OK, you are probably going to be confused if you don't play all the games, but if you do you're golden.
I've played both main games and don't understand any of it. And I'm all for suspension of disbelief, but again...that's not the problem by a long shot.

Kagari said:
The day had to come...

I keep thinking you're Synless. :lol

PataHikari said:
The KH plot isn't that complex guys.

It just requires A) Suspension of Disbelief. Seeing as I'm playing a game with Donald Duck in it I think I can do that. B) Playing the games in the series.

OK, you are probably going to be confused if you don't play all the games, but if you do you're golden.

Dude, I understand all of it, it's still stupid as hell.

DemiMatt

wow OP your amazing. As much of a fanboy I am of KH after playing 352/2 days or wtvr I realize that everything your saying is true. I for one applaude you.

Dub of the new trailer

And even after reading it...I understand nothing.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
:lol
OP is so right. I don't know why they had to try and link all this shit together. I'd rather it be more like FF in that there's no relation between them.

That, and I REALLY hate how often the word "heart" is repeated throughout the game. I mean it. Count the number of times they say it in each cutscene...hell...even every MINUTE and it's just insane!

Great OP :lol KH isn't anywhere near as convoluted as most of the shit I play so I had no problem understanding it, but I can definitely see where everyone is coming from.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this. Hopefully I'll have a working PSP by the time it releases here.

Defensor

Mistaken iRobbery!
bernardobri said:
Amazing OP :lol

Also, as side note, Master Eraqus voiced by Makio Inoue, of Lupin III fame. He rarely does VA now...
Holy crap, I knew his voice sounded familar... Goemon!

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
DemiMatt said:
and that game comes out when?

I remember they were super hyping it but now...nothing.

Well, they're going to start showing new media soon here, and it'll be at E3. A 2010 December release could be likely.

rataven

Pretty funny OP! More of them should bring the humor.

I'm definitely picking this up, but I feel really ambivalent about it. I actually miss Sora and his little journey with Donald and Goofy. God, those days seem soooo long ago.

for this thread
famitsu review

Play length
- 15 hours per character
- 100 hours to complete everything

Scores:

10 - Each character had their own story and events, and I was able to play through this each time with a fresh feeling. The battles can be quite exciting if you can get into the game system and play through them strategically. All I can say about the graphics and music is that they are superb. The dice game and other mini games were excellent. I have no complaints.

9 - The growth system is excellent. It gets very fun to fiddle around with it and decide how you want to make your character. There are tons of different abilities and attacks, and since some of them can change in battle, so even if you can use them easily battles never became boring. I felt satisfied with the completeness of the story, and being able to see through the eyes of all three characters. Starting the Command Board, all the game elements were flawless.

9 - Firstly, I was quite impressed by the amount of story they had, viewed through the eyes of three characters. The creation of stages for each character was nicely done. There were a variety of easily manipulated attacks that made the battles quite exciting. I was quite happy that the Command Board was not just for playing, but also for strengthening your Commands. This is a great game for people who are interested in the world of this series.

9 - With three different character types to choose from, as well as many different Commands and Styles, there was an amazing variety with what you can do in battles. When the Commands you can use increases, you can choose your own way of fighting the battles which gives a nice feeling of freedom. The boss battles were quite lively and exciting, and you can have fun with the direction of them.

MechaX

PataHikari said:

I have played the final mixes of both KH1 and KH2, played Chain of Memories, and at least read up on the plot summary for 358/2 Days.

The plot is still bananas.

biocat

Best OP ever!

I'm coming back to Tokyo the day this comes out. I wonder if that's a sign at all.
Yeah, in Kingdom Hearts (AKA Bizarro) world!

DemiMatt said:
And even after reading it...I understand nothing.
2s6rh8h.jpg

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Somehow I understand more about the series than I have on my previous playthroughs of the series. Excellent revelations in the OP.

KAOz

Short bus special
Amazing OP! :lol

Now, is there a dopeass Disney-train in this one?

Depending on the answer, I might or might not check this out.

duckroll said:

And don't forget that Vanitas is ALSO probably a part of that mix, given that he looks so similar to Riku's dark armor from KH1/CoM.

That's HALF of the new original cast from BBS (not counting the Somebodies of the Organization folks) who might somehow get turned into the Xehanort that Ansem discovered and trained. THREE of them.

Aqua seems so normal in comparison to her two companions. This practically guarantees that she'll turn out to travel back in time to be Sora's mom that we never saw onscreen or something like that, or that she'll get her own insane spinoff someday.

Sipowicz said:
what the hell man, i thought this was about a little boy fighting monsters with mickey mouse

i'm not buying this any more

This is the real question.

Kingdom Hearts was an unity between Disney and Squaresoft. What exactly happened between KH1 and KH2/that gameboy spinoff? Why am seeing the same person replicated 15times with different hair styles?

Is Donald, Goofy, and Mickey still even in the series?

I got mine preordered but sadly I will get it 10 days before launch. Right now I'm replaying KHII and loving it more than I did the first time I played it.

Can wait for the insane plot twist of Bbs, Nomura don't disappoint me :lol

Dyno

Birth By Sleep... What the hell does that even mean?

Are they picking title names with a big board and a headless chicken? Do they have a mic in Sarah Palin's bedroom and are picking up nocturnal word salads?

DarkKyo

Just so you know I think they do end up wearing that armor for a considerable amount of time in BBS..

jiggle said:
sora goes to sleep
gives birth to roxas and someone else
who knows how many more!
now that's one fertile teenager

I think it's got something to do with being a keyblade wielder.. Not sure. I recall Sora's keyblade master "birth" happened when he was asleep. Could happen to all of them maybe...

Crewnh said:

Man, I wished Billy Zane came back. Richard Epcar's passable most of the time, but Zane was just wonderfully hammy as Ansem.
I mean, Xehanort. Um, Xehanort's Heartless. Thing.

Top Bottom