• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep (PSP) Import thread of Convoluted Nonsense

duckroll

Jangaroo said:
Honestly, the main reason why I played the first and second game wasn't for the plot, but for the fact that I could check out and interact with the Disney worlds. I could care less about the rather shitty plot that teens and adolescents seem to latch on to.
I really hate how clones of Sora have become the main point in the latest entries.

That's exactly why I play KH. I actually like Nomura's art direction, I love the Disney worlds, and the gameplay and music is pretty good too imo. I'm definitely looking forward to getting BbS tomorrow (it better be available tomorrow arghhhhh).

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
duckroll said:
That's exactly why I play KH. I actually like Nomura's art direction, I love the Disney worlds, and the gameplay and music is pretty good too imo. I'm definitely looking forward to getting BbS tomorrow (it better be available tomorrow arghhhhh).
Looking forward to your impressions since most KH related websites seem to be focusing on the plot rather than the actual gameplay.

Peff

duckroll said:

Make sure to let us know how the actual game is :lol !

Same here, I love the combat gameplay the most and its a real draw. Hence why I am here and giving myself a Kingdom Hearts Enema (possible next name of game?) so I can just enjoy it without throwing my PSP out the window screaming "NOMUUUURAAAAAA~"

duckroll

If the asian distributor didn't screw up, I could have gotten the game yesterday and this thread would be about actual impressions instead of..... whatever it's about now! :lol

Jangaroo

SecretBonusPoint said:
Same here, I love the combat gameplay the most and its a real draw. Hence why I am here and giving myself a Kingdom Hearts Enema (possible next name of game?) so I can just enjoy it without throwing my PSP out the window screaming "NOMUUUURAAAAAA~"
Reconnected Kingdom Hearts

Jangaroo said:
Honestly, the main reason why I played the first and second game wasn't for the plot, but for the fact that I could check out and interact with the Disney worlds. I could care less about the rather shitty plot that teens and adolescents seem to latch on to.
I really hate how clones of Sora have become the main point in the latest entries.

This.

Skilletor

Yeah, the story is only something that delays me going to the next disney world. Kingdom Hearts is one of my favorite series, but the story is not one of the reasons.

Jangaroo said:
The one in Kingdom Hearts 2 is fake. Xemnas had artificial heartless created so that with every one being destroyed by Sora, it'd than go on to feed itself into the artificial Kingdom Hearts, thus making it bigger and more powerful. Ansem in the first game wanted the real thing for his dastardly deeds. The one in the second was being created since Sora was the only one with the keyblade capable of sending the hearts of the heartless into the fake Kingdom Hearts.

It's supposed to be an object and a place. It's been described as "a doorway to the heart of all worlds." Honestly, definition of what is Kingdom Hearts has never been the focal point of the plot besides being a somewhat vague, even abstract thing that the villains want.
I got proof it's real!

My long and drawn-out revenge is nearing its end.

Xehanort, who took everything away from me. Though as a Heartless he is no more, as the leader of Organization XIII his ambition once again is to capture Kingdom Hearts, the most colossal heart of all.

His Heartless had attempted to draw out the great darkness of Kingdom Hearts, created from the hearts of all worlds. His Nobody, however, is now almost finished gathering human hearts to be assimilated into Kingdom Hearts as well.

The fool! - Secret Ansem Report XIII

He doesn't talk about it separately as if it's different from what Xehanort's Heartless was trying to get!

I spent way to much time on this.

Rpgmonkey

I don't know about completely incomprehensible (granted, there is a ton of stuff they just seem to never want to explain, which causes further problems), but there's so much bullcrap thrown into this series to keep it going that the whole thing's reached a high level of stupid.

I'm just waiting for time-travel to come in at some point so we can have even more clones. :D

Jangaroo said:

Pretty much. It's pretty fun to play and I like experiencing the Disney stuff with RPG-styled gameplay instead of the strict platformer stuff Disney games tend to have.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
charlequin said:
I know now... without a doubt... that Kingdom Hearts... is dumb.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb!

But in this case, evil is also dumb. Hah!

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
I actually really really love the KH-story, yeah I know it's kinda over-the-top and after reading your explanations I apparently don't understand the KH-story as well as I thought :lol , but anyhow I am now playing KH2 again and especially the Roxas story is very wel told imo. The moment he found Sora and dissapeared just made me sad :(

So when you guys play a KH game, you always think: OMG this is retarded why am I even watching this cutscene? That just boggles my mind :S

Skilletor

Kingsora said:
So when you guys play a KH game, you always think: OMG this is retarded why am I even watching this cutscene? That just boggles my mind :S

Nawp, it's entertaining in the same way popcorn action movies are entertaining. I just don't try to make sense of what I'm watching. I don't get pissed or analyze the bullshit happening.

Kingsora

Would rather have no penis than have to show his to a medical professional
Jangaroo said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV4e3iquoVw#t=1m19s
I tend to cringe for a majority of the cutscenes that do not involve Disney characters excluding Donald and Goofy. That usually involves poor dialogue and terrible acting.
Well yeah that cutscene is actually a kinda strange change of events :lol But after 358/2 and Chain of Memories I understand why he suddenly looks like Ansem, it's a really over-the-top explanation, but I can live with it without saying OMG what is this shit!:lol

Jangaroo

Kingsora said:
Well yeah that cutscene is actually a kinda strange change of events :lol But after 358/2 and Chain of Memories I understand why he suddenly looks like Ansem, it's a really over-the-top explanation, but I can live with it without saying OMG what is this shit!:lol
My reason for choosing that cutscene has nothing to do with plot relevance. I just dislike most of the cutscenes because the dialogue and voice acting are cringe-inducing in regards to non-Disney characters. It's really awkward. If I was going to choose the cutscenes that are just stupid as a result of the plot, I'd go and choose any of the ones that have Xemnas monologuing to himself for minutes straight.

duckroll

Kingsora said:

Depends on the cutscene, but for most of KH2, yes. :p

PataHikari said:
Kingdom Hearts doesn't pretend to be science fiction, it's blatantly fantasy. So it's easy to take in as that.

Kingdom Hearts isn't confusing people. Pay attention to the bloody cutscenes in each game and you'll understand them.

Kingdom Hearts is the heart of the universe. When things die, their hearts go to Kingdom Hearts.

So, basically, Kingdom Hearts is like heaven in that things die and go there but it's earth based. So Ansem and Mansex want it because if they gain control of KH ie. heaven they can become the Jesus of the KH world.

But wait, Mansex made a fake one? So basically Mansex wanted to become god of a fake KH while Ansem wants to become god of the real one or some shit like that because just having a real one isn't good enough because they're such completionists. And in KH3 the villain will want to become god of the ANTI-KINGDOM HEARTS ie. hell. Oh, and the Realm of Darkness shit and stuff is like Purgatory I guess but you can actually get out. Oh, and in KH4 the villain will want this in-between Kingdom Hearts that fuses both the real one and the Anti-Kingdom Hearts I just made up and it will destroy the world and then angels and demons will come out and fight or something.

Guys, I understand now! :OOO

Huggy

I dislike how I am supposed to play some japanese special edition of the first game to better understand the sequel.
Not that it would have mattered anyway.

MechaX

Just read all the spoilers in this thread and watched the Secret Ending.

... Wow. I gotta love how Nomura always has a way to top himself with each installment (of anything, really).

Oh well. Despite the mind-imploding story, I still want to play it due to the reintroduction of actual platforming, toning down the KH2-centric button mashing, and a female character that is less "eye-candy" and "utterly fucking helpless" and is actually a developed character. Nomura progresses and regresses simultaneously!

Huggy said:
I dislike how I am supposed to play some japanese special edition of the first game to better understand the sequel.

Exactly, it's like the think people in the West don't play the games for the story or something... :/

Oh wait, that's probably the case...still want the FMs over though...

Skilletor

Huggy said:

2nd game. Pretty sure KH: Final Mix and the NA/EU releases of KH1 are the same.

Gospel

Parmesan et Romano
Speaking of Special editions, what are the odds this game will get a Final Mix re-release?

After seeing that, I'm more inclined to believe it will happen, and the secret ending in the new one would be the definitive one for the fans who try following the story.

Peff

Skilletor said:
2nd game. Pretty sure KH: Final Mix and the NA/EU releases of KH1 are the same.

They're not. NA/EU had some additions, like Kurt Zisa, Sephiroth, the Ice Golem and Another Side, Another Story, but Final Mix had more weapons, enemies, skills, Xemnas, more cutscenes and Deep Dive. Nowhere near as meaty as Final Mix+ but still important.

ReiGun

MNC said:
:lol :lol @ Sora saying: Ansem! Err, I mean, Xenahort's Heartless!
Even Sora cant keep up. :lol

Did they ever explain why Riku looks like Ansem in KH2? That's one thing I never got.
And why does everyone in thay ending movie know Sora. And why was Terra back? I thought he was Xehanort, or however you spell it?

Peff

Did they ever explain why Riku looks like Ansem in KH2?

Xehanort?
:p
Riku was "possessed" by him in KH1, so when he was defeated, his darkness powers remained within Riku, and when he unleashed them to defeat Roxas he looked like Xehanort again.

hyduK

Banned
It's a pretty good strategy really, I mean FFVII's story didn't make a lick of sense, and a lot of people think that's the greatest JRPG of all time.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Jangaroo said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV4e3iquoVw#t=1m19s
I tend to cringe for a majority of the cutscenes that do not involve Disney characters excluding Donald and Goofy. That usually involves poor dialogue and terrible acting.
Say what you will about VGcats, but the comic they did about that particular scene was spot-on. :lol

ReiGun said:
And why does everyone in thay ending movie know Sora. And why was Terra back? I thought he was Xehanort, or however you spell it?
It's a pun. They're all looking up at the sky (in Namine's case, a drawing of the sky). "Sora" is Japanese for "sky."

I don't think the shots with Namine, Roxas/Xion/Axel, and Terra/Ven actually happened, but just represented the connections Sora wants to restore.

ReiGun

Peff said:
Xehanort?
:p
Riku was "possessed" by him in KH1, so when he was defeated, his darkness powers remained within Riku, and when he unleashed them to defeat Roxas he looked like Xehanort again.
Ah, see I thought that was resolved when Riku beat him in CoM, so I thought he just morphed in Xehanort to use the darkness. So the Ansemanort you fought in CoM was just an illusion, huh.

I dont even know why I'm trying to figure this shit out now. I went through three games paying no attention to the story. :lol Is 358/2 Days any good? I might play it just to get caught up to speed.

Peff

ReiGun said:
Ah, see I thought that was resolved when Riku beat him in CoM, so I thought he just morphed in Xehanort to use the darkness. So the Ansemanort you fought in CoM was just an illusion, huh.

I dont even know why I'm trying to figure this shit out now. I went through three games paying no attention to the story. :lol Is 358/2 Days any good? I might play it just to get caught up to speed.

Yeah, the final boss was supposed to be a metaphor to show that Riku had finally overcome his darkness. Or something. About 358/2, I'm always weary of recommending it to anyone :lol The game is pretty cool if you have people to play with, but the main story is too long and it's basically the equivalent to anime filler (it's the backstory to KH2 but as that was too short they made up the whole Xion thing). The game itself is surprisingly close to the PS2 installments, but the fact that 90% of the backgrounds and music are ripped verbatim from them doesn't help.

Jangaroo

Peff said:
Yeah, the final boss was supposed to be a metaphor to show that Riku had finally overcome his darkness. Or something. About 358/2, I'm always weary of recommending it to anyone :lol The game is pretty cool if you have people to play with, but the main story is too long and it's basically the equivalent to anime filler (it's the backstory to KH2 but as that was too short they made up the whole Xion thing). The game itself is surprisingly close to the PS2 installments, but the fact that 90% of the backgrounds and music are ripped verbatim from them doesn't help.
The game had really shitty pacing. Plot didn't get interesting until you got 1/3 into the game. During that time, the game felt like a gigantic tutorial, with it hand-holding you. And it didn't help that the missions were essentially kill heartless x amount of times or a collectathon mission. I'm surprised Roxas and co didn't get diabetes from eating ice cream every day.

ReiGun said:
Even Sora cant keep up. :lol

Did they ever explain why Riku looks like Ansem in KH2? That's one thing I never got.

I read on GameFAQs that the scene with Terra and Ven was
at the beginning of BBS and not after.

ReiGun said:

I think it's the best in the series behind KH1, mainly for the portability/mission based gameplay but also because I am a huge roxas fanboy.

Which in turn is why the secret ending makes me super happy.

Deadly

bernardobri said:
Eraqus dies? Damn... Didn't liked an original KH character since a lot of time. :/
Don't worry his heart is within Terra so he's bound to appear again someday :lol

duckroll

Finally got the game. Even with the 600 meg data install..... there are still load times. Seems like the TGS demo was pretty deceptive in terms of how fast the loads were! :lol

Top Bottom