• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

neight

Banned
batbeg said:
True, there's not really any problems with fucking about with Square-Enix, but a bigshot publisher like Rising Star...? :p

...God I hate Sunday's lack of mail :(
Are we really going to play stupid to how gaming journalism works? Yes some big games like Too Human do get low scores there are exceptions to every rule. Little King's Story isn't exactly a big game so in this case we know this game deserved it since there wasn't big ad revenue at stake especially given the score from Edge. Of course there's still hype. Gaming journalism is hugely affected by hype like the rest of us but Edge is usually level headed.

legend166

This game is hard : (

How am I supposed to kill those stupid chicken things that shoot seeds or whatever? They totally dominate my guys :(

Also, when/how do I get miners?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Picked it up earlier today after what seemed like a fruitless search. No one had it except for an EB I hardly ever walk into. Prepare for text rape.

At the moment I'm not too far into it outside of picking up the Animal Hunters and running around for a bit. Absolutely love the dialogue and mutterings of the people in my Kingdom; from careless citizens telling you that you are a weird midget, to a grunt rambling on about how I should be conquering everything - complete with nerd-filled "global imperialism for the win!" statement which made me chuckle.

The Church of Soup is hilarious, ramen bowls at the altar and the balding priest speaking about his lack of hair in a positive light, "only those blessed by God may become bald. As baldness is pleasing to God, he speaks directly to those like myself who are sans hair."

The controls are sublime. I haven't played Pikmin on the Wii yet, but all I can say is that it feels similar yet much more cohesive. Once things kick into gear, you gain more advantages onto how to set about getting your best troops into battle or finding a niche group within your own setup. I've even surprised myself at times; simultaneously battling a few enemies with my grunts whilst digging around with my farmers or building a stairwell with my carpenters all at the same time.

I had doubts over Yoko Shimomura composing the music. Yeah she's good with the lofty and happy music, but most of the time there's no soul in the music. As such I was very surprised to play the game then when I heard Beethoven and Mozart being arranged so wonderfully which is definitely one of Shimomura's greatest skills. It's such a pleasure to hear and know so many classical songs being arranged expertly into this game even if not knowing the initial names of composer and composition alike. She's done excellently well, so I take my hat off to her which rarely happens.

The only hate I have about this game is the fact that I feel very sad when my loyal subjects die during a battle. It's very similar to the feeling you got in Pikmin when you lost a few now and then.. but this time my heroes of valor have names and personalities attached to them. I lost a great soldier called Mina to a battle against a boss earlier before and felt quite blue when I remembered her chatting to me about wanting to find a partner soon, to share the joys and sorrows of her life with them. She didn't even have a chance to experience that :(

Also could a mod please change the title to the correct "Little King's Story"?

legend166 said:
This game is hard : (

How am I supposed to kill those stupid chicken things that shoot seeds or whatever? They totally dominate my guys :(

Also, when/how do I get miners?
If my assumption of where you are in the game is correct, you'll get your miners pretty soon. Now I don't remember the name of the particular quest, but just look in your suggestion box for ones with high star ratings to see if it's available yet. These are usually Guardians battles that afterwards let you expand your empire early on in the game. If you don't have any, there's a more important story-quest waiting for you to be triggered in the overworld already or an area that needs to be discovered. Continue exploring some of the hostile territory past the chickens.

The chicken monsters are supposed to be tough, but later on in the game you get an entire class dedicated to effortlessly disposing of them. Until then, you'll just have to work on perfecting your retreating skills. When you think an enemy's going to attack, molest that B button and run around like hell in the hope nothing will hit you, only to fire your guys back at it. Be sure to always upgrade your party-size as soon as the option becomes available as well. The differences between my successes and failures were often microscopic, so every extra soldier you can carry made a difference.

nli10

Not only did I not realize this was the Pikmin rip off, fantasy game (complement) that I'd seen and fancied. But I didn't realise this was out already!

£27.99 Delivered at GamePlay - ordered!

Don't need impressions etc. going to figure it all out myself. :) (oh and only chose this one as it was currently the top thread - if the discussion moves I'll user the other one).

LOcKY

comeon people ive already posted a good deal for this game and its at Tesco! £24.97!!!

Grrrrr and im trying to help you guys save money in this recession *grumble grumble*

did i forget to metnion i got it from Tesco for £24.97???

nli10

LOcKY said:
comeon people ive already posted a good deal for this game and its at Tesco! £24.97!!!

Grrrrr and im trying to help you guys save money in this recession *grumble grumble*

did i forget to metnion i got it from Tesco for £24.97???

Online for Tesco is £30. If Asda stock it in store it might be cheaper there too(and thats only up the road), but Tesco is (shockingly for the UK) far away. Well a non metro one that sells more than Tesco's most expensive food...

These days I just bung the game name into Sccope and buy from the cheapest. But then I'm lazy.

Haunted

speedpop said:
Picked it up earlier today after what seemed like a fruitless search. No one had it except for an EB I hardly ever walk into. Prepare for text rape.

At the moment I'm not too far into it outside of picking up the Animal Hunters and running around for a bit. Absolutely love the dialogue and mutterings of the people in my Kingdom; from careless citizens telling you that you are a weird midget, to a grunt rambling on about how I should be conquering everything - complete with nerd-filled "global imperialism for the win!" statement which made me chuckle.

The Church of Soup is hilarious, ramen bowls at the altar and the balding priest speaking about his lack of hair in a positive light, "only those blessed by God may become bald. As baldness is pleasing to God, he speaks directly to those like myself who are sans hair."

The controls are sublime. I haven't played Pikmin on the Wii yet, but all I can say is that it feels similar yet much more cohesive. Once things kick into gear, you gain more advantages onto how to set about getting your best troops into battle or finding a niche group within your own setup. I've even surprised myself at times; simultaneously battling a few enemies with my grunts whilst digging around with my farmers or building a stairwell with my carpenters all at the same time.

I had doubts over Yoko Shimomura composing the music. Yeah she's good with the lofty and happy music, but most of the time there's no soul in the music. As such I was very surprised to play the game then when I heard Beethoven and Mozart being arranged so wonderfully which is definitely one of Shimomura's greatest skills. It's such a pleasure to hear and know so many classical songs being arranged expertly into this game even if not knowing the initial names of composer and composition alike. She's done excellently well, so I take my hat off to her which rarely happens.

The only hate I have about this game is the fact that I feel very sad when my loyal subjects die during a battle. It's very similar to the feeling you got in Pikmin when you lost a few now and then.. but this time my heroes of valor have names and personalities attached to them. I lost a great soldier called Mina to a battle against a boss earlier before and felt quite blue when I remembered her chatting to me about wanting to find a partner soon, to share the joys and sorrows of her life with them. She didn't even have a chance to experience that :(

Also could a mod please change the title to the correct "Little King's Story"?
:O

Awesome write-up. Now I'll get this first thing in the morning tomorrow.

LOcKY said:
nli10 said:
£27.99 Delivered at GamePlay - ordered!
Btw, it's £22.95 new at the amazon marketplace. (I know, I know.)

ATENTION EUROPEANS!

Official Nintendo web is giving free Little King's Story for 5000 stars. At least in Spain.
Yesterday night I added all my stars of games I had to my account and I have buyed the game with the stars.:D

4iy2jd.jpg

Go and see if theres also that offer in the other european nintendo webs. RUN, RUN, RUN!

And here in Spain its official price is 39 euros, not 49.

BTW: The Spanish translation has with some names of characters, spanish political jokes. For example, one has the diminutive of the name of our expresident Aznar to Azanarín, and lots more:
Arzalluz, Pujol, Trillo....
That is seriously and AWESOME translation that Rising Star Spain has done there.
Does it happen the same in other languages? Do you also have cultural country jokes?

legend166

I played for a couple of hours today.

My only gripe is the pathfinding which can be quite wonky at times. Especially when walking along cliffs, but especially Bart, I mean, when going up stairs. My guys will fall off and I have to run back to get them, and it's a mission in itself trying to get everyone up stairs in one piece.

Majora

Regarding the pathfinding going up stairs, later on you can get an upgrade to walk in single file apparently. Until then just carry on if a couple fall off; they'll eventually respawn behind you.

farnham

Banned
oh man i started playing this and its sooo awesome

especially the soundtrack.. classical music just fits perfectly to the atmosphere

gamingeek

Okay, first impressions.

You almost know that the game is going to be great within the first few seconds. Literally, when the CING logo pops on the screen, it's artistically designed to look like a artist has fantastically painted the logo on an elaborate chalkboard. It's a sign of quality that instantly hooks you.

From there it gets better, yes before the game has even begun the game title is on the screen, surrounded by operatic music and a light shines from left to right. It's almost like the door Alice steps through into a whole new world.

And then the music hits you, Land of Hope and Glory, a special song always used at BBC's closing song at the night at the proms. Your little patch of land is etched out in front of you, the game title unfurls like a banner on the land and the music plays. This is the land of hope, the land of glory and your kingdom is ripe before your eyes, this is mine to make, to conquer, to love.

And then you actually press your first button. :D

So, after you press A you are kicked into this cutscene, it's heavily filtered in a sort of brush stroke pattern way. A lonely little boy follows some rats into a hole and finds a crown which makes him the king. He's led into his kingdom. The kingdom is basically a shack with a bedroom.

And suddenly it reminds you a SNES game in a really great way. If you ever had a thing for SNES RPGs, the look, the tone etc. This looks immediately like a modern day version.

Then you sit on your throne and ask questions of your three advisors. Howser the bull knight almost seems like the real leader and you the puppet figurehead of this mini-empire but he always defers to you. It has lovely little touches like a baby cow that bites your ass and drags you back inside if you haven't talked to the people yet.

So your immediate concern is cash. You need to raise 100'000 and so you go out into your world. And now the Pikmin comparisons become evident. It controls pretty much exactly the same, Pikmin has better, more well thought out controls, but there's not a huge gulf here. The lack of IR seems somewhat baffling but the game controls fine without them.

Visually this game is beautiful, shame that it looks slightly cacky on an HDTV, because this has oodles of charm, large, bouncing trees, wonderful character designs, soft lighting and warm colours. You move out of the castle area -I use the word castle loosly as its a shack at this point- and out into the main town where unemployed layabouts live.

To recruit them, you walk up to them and wave your little staff, a mario like star shoots out and they join your ranks like little pikmin. Then, it's out into the world.

The music, by God the music. Why hasn't someone done this before? GTA uses real life licenced tracks to great effect. Now LKS uses original intepretations of some of the most famous classical music songs out there. It's wonderful, I'm no classical music buff, but the tunes here you will instantly recognise from many other places. For instance I know Johan Sebastian Bach concerto number 3, but you will recognise it as the music in Die Hard in Nakatomi plaza.

And they aren't stingy with it either. The first area is quite small and the music is always changing seamlessly from section to section, something like 4-6 different compositions within a tiny playably area. It's gorgeous, spring like music.

So then you have your lazy bums recruited and you send them off digging for cash. You get enough cash, head home and now you can build a workplace, which is a building. I built a guardhouse. So now I can throw my little lazy bums into the building and they come out bristling in knights armour and I'm off to battle! I fought some turnips enemies, they can chop through wood. You can organise them.

So next I built a farmhouse and I can have farmers. After reading the manual you can have construction guys to build things too.

One thing I noticed was the AI. It's beautiful to watch. So I dismissed my royal guards and they made their way back to the castle area and started practice fighting among the trees. Then I followed them and they started patrolling the bridge and saluting eachother when they passed. And they moved about in a completely natural way. It was beguiling just to observe them.

I can't wait to get this game back on an SDTV where it belongs and soak up the combination of gorgeous music, gorgeous visuals and compelling design. It's more than Pikmin, you have your own expanding kingdom and upgrades. It's sort of like if Pikmin had a purpose, was in a much nicer fantasy setting and you could sculpt your own future.

I think the biggest compliment would be that it feels like a first party title in all respects, polish, charm, addictiveness, attention to detail.

http://thevgpress.com

Wes

venison crêpe
Do want, but will have to wait until the end of the month when exams are over. This and Pokemon is going to cause a hectic end of May for me.

GhaleonQ

kkg1701 said:
Thanks! Now I just have to remember where I've heard it before :D

KK

Carl Stalling used it for pretty much every Looney Tunes short with a morning scene. And, wow, I'm seriously pleased with how many people are happy with it. I'm still puzzled over why they didn't allocate a little more money toward marketing, but if the PAL reception can be used to drive further sales elsewhere, I'll be pleased. Any ideas as to who did the localization? It's received quite a few compliments by now.

Majora

The localisation is good but there have been several sloppy spelling/grammar errors. Reminiscent of Harvest Moon in more ways than one.

I love the intro movie to this. Sometimes I still watch it when I boot the game up.

'who is the most noble of them all?'

eXistor

This game is fucking golden! But I must say there are a few very annoying gameplay problems though: Why do Animal Hunters think the enemy is dead after shooting the projectile an enemy throws? That means I have to put them back in front of my party and send them out again. Also, partymembers get stuck behind all sorts of things incredibly easy and it takes a while for them to respawn back in your party. If this happens occasionally, I could live with it, but every time you walk up stairs a few of them get stuck. I have literally not once got all my party on top of stairs without at least one getting stuck. The savesystem is also balls.

Other than that though this game is just a classic through and through. It's got charm by the bucketloads, the music is legendary and the attention to detail is staggering. The game is also funny as hell and there's just so much to do and discover. The best part about that is that even now (I'm about 15 hours into the game) I'm constantly getting new and unique quests and more unique gameplay elements. The balance in this game is awesome.

You have to work for your kingdom, but the game rewards hard work. when my Castle was uograded for the second time I almost couldn't believe my eyes how awesome it was.

Playing this game does make me a bit mad though: why aren't there more games of this quality? Seriously, Nintendo themselves couldn't make this better and it's just a bit depressing that it's become so very rare that a truly unique game like this comes along. This year is already pretty damn good in that regard though Demon's Souls is another one of those games that just defies genres and is a true classic in its own right, unlike DS, this is coming out worldwide and I certainly hope it won't be overlooked.

SickBoy

So I hate to be this guy, but I've read some reviews, watched some videos and I'm just not sure about this game.

That's mainly due to the fact I'm not a fan of traditional JRPG/SRPG titles... but it looks like this might be a more open experience. Can someone tell me how "directed" the game feels? (And what games are in a similar vein?)

Majora

SickBoy said:
So I hate to be this guy, but I've read some reviews, watched some videos and I'm just not sure about this game.

That's mainly due to the fact I'm not a fan of traditional JRPG/SRPG titles... but it looks like this might be a more open experience. Can someone tell me how "directed" the game feels? (And what games are in a similar vein?)

I'd say it's about 3 parts Pikmin to 1 part Animal Crossing to 1 part Harvest Moon. Make of that what you will :lol It's not really an RPG or strategy game at all imo, it's much more of an adventure game.

You basically have one main objective (to expand your kingdom) which you achieve by exploring and conquering new areas. However there are also lots of optional side quests you can do at anytime.

eXistor

SickBoy said:

The whole city building aspect is very simple, you mainly just focus on exploring the areas surrounding your kingdom, defeating enemies and getting loot. The more money you get the more opens up to you. There are a lot of features in the game, but you'll never feel overwhelmed. Individually, every feature is really very simple.

The game feels pretty open, but it is pretty linear. There's just a whole lot of areas to explore and one day you'll spend in the city, the other you'll revisit previously explored areas for some possible new areas (new jobs mean new potential areas). There's a bunch of bosses that you can defeat at your own leisure, opening up more parts to your kingdom.

In short there's just so much in there that you're never at a loss for something to do. That makes for a very diverse and fresh experience.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Waiting for my preorder from The Hut, I suppose it'll be a good week at the very least before I get it :/

I totally support this thread, awesome OP, bravo Doomed! :)

speedpop

Gave it some more love earlier this morning. It really is a wonder for myself to want to wake up the next day and head straight to a console to play a game. That feeling hasn't happened since Mario Galaxy, and before even that I am clueless - my love affair towards console gaming has certainly died down considerably but I know an excellent game when I play one.

The upgrades to everything is superbly done, waltzing out the next morning and seeing the land you essentially set free become your own with buildings risen from the ground overnight and paths becoming more extravagant over a period of time. It's little touches like these that make a gamer respect the developers. I still love watching my carpenters build a bridge or stairwell and the phases it goes through, in that sense it reminds me of an RTS on PC.

It's a shame that this game has been released in PAL regions exclusively thus far as it deserves much more attention on a global scale at the moment.

SickBoy

eXistor said:
The whole city building aspect is very simple, you mainly just focus on exploring the areas surrounding your kingdom, defeating enemies and getting loot. The more money you get the more opens up to you. There are a lot of features in the game, but you'll never feel overwhelmed. Individually, every feature is really very simple.

The game feels pretty open, but it is pretty linear. There's just a whole lot of areas to explore and one day you'll spend in the city, the other you'll revisit previously explored areas for some possible new areas (new jobs mean new potential areas). There's a bunch of bosses that you can defeat at your own leisure, opening up more parts to your kingdom.

In short there's just so much in there that you're never at a loss for something to do. That makes for a very diverse and fresh experience.

I like the fact that it sounds like you can take it at your own pace. I don't mind being shepherded along a straight-line story as long as I have a little bit of flexibility in how I play.

My main concern is that a lot of people who seem really excited about this seem to have anime avatars or are folks I recognize as RPG fans. There's totally nothing wrong with either of those things, but they're not my bag. Still, I try to keep my mind open because every now and again something like Valkyria Chronicles comes along.

speedpop

This isn't really an RPG in any sense whereby equipment and stats are affected depending on what items you find in a treasure chest. There are simple stats, there are power ups, but they are all unlocked via money and any item you do get in this game from enemies and such is all going to loot.

Unlike Harvest Moon or Pikmin where there was the constant threat of days running out, you can merely take your time with this game and do whatever you please. Realistically the game is more about adventure and exploration with your little band of helpers along for the ride. You go out and discover something new in the world, come back for the night and head back out to a different direction.

Eteric Rice

So is it true that everyone in the game actually has their own lives and stuff? I remember the developers saying that they wanted their AI to be amazing, and characters would have lives of their own.

legend166

Yeah, this really isn't an RPG at all. If you're worried about that, don't be.

I've only finished three JRPGs in my lifetime, so I'm not exactly a fan of the genre, and I'm really enjoying LKS.

6 hours in now. Just managed to get miners and super carpenters. Will be interesting to see what that can build.

ernie

@ tetrisgrammaton

Q) are you saying events happen in real time??

A) not quite, it doesnt run on the system clock like animal crossing, but there are finite game 'days' and some events like building new stuff for your kingdom will only be finished 'tomorrow' so you must rest the little king first

(its soo charming when he wakes up like a child ready to devour another day of fun)

Kenka

There are so few answers in this thread that I am wondering how much of a BOMBA this game must be right now.

dammit.... why won't this giant mushroom die?
guys?
i defeated the
knight, kings club, onii king, and dragon
but this damned giant mushroom..... anyone else beat it?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Thinking about buying, but some questions about my concerns from videos/previews;

1) How's the learning curve? I can handle anything, but the harder the learning curve the less interested I get. Are the controls/gameplay smooth in progression and getting used to?

2) The graphics are great but are they clear? I find with a lot of 3D strategy/management games that blocky graphics and jaggies make everything really difficult to see. Is it easy to identify specific units, buildings, enemies, items, environment set-pieces, etc?

3) Is there plenty of variety? From what I've read the game's length is great, but is it overly repetitive? I find a lot of games have the first hour or two introducing you to new mechanics and features, then the rest of the game (aka: the meat) is just reusing those mechanics with each level really just being a new coat of paint and layout. Does the game keep surprising the player with new things?

A part of me really wants this, but another part just isn't sure. Sell it to me GAF.

Love the game, defeted the Onii King after 8 hours of fooling around (btw Oni in serbian language means - they ).
The game gives me a little Settlers 2 vibe.

GhaleonQ

Kenka said:
There are so few answers in this thread that I am wondering how much of a BOMBA this game must be right now.

It's split over 3 threads, to be fair.

*sigh* I'm currently jumping between Moon: Remix RPG Adventure and Pikmin 2 to tide myself over. If I plug the Gamecube in quickly enough, I can recreate the Little King's Story experience in my own home! ...*cries*

legend166

EatChildren said:
Thinking about buying, but some questions about my concerns from videos/previews;

1) How's the learning curve? I can handle anything, but the harder the learning curve the less interested I get. Are the controls/gameplay smooth in progression and getting used to?

The game is difficult, but it doesn't have to do with the controls or anything. It has to do with the strategy - knowing who you should take out on a expedition, how to tackle certain enemies and such. You're definitely fine the first couple hours though.

2) The graphics are great but are they clear? I find with a lot of 3D strategy/management games that blocky graphics and jaggies make everything really difficult to see. Is it easy to identify specific units, buildings, enemies, items, environment set-pieces, etc?

Perfectly clear. The units all have big heads so you know exactly who's who. Buildings are easy to distinguish, and everything's preset in terms of location anyway, so you won't be putting too many close together or such.

3) Is there plenty of variety? From what I've read the game's length is great, but is it overly repetitive? I find a lot of games have the first hour or two introducing you to new mechanics and features, then the rest of the game (aka: the meat) is just reusing those mechanics with each level really just being a new coat of paint and layout. Does the game keep surprising the player with new things?

I'm 6 hours in, and I've just unlocked two new job classes, and know of two more. I've only taken down one kingdom so far, and haven't really even ventured out too much, so I couldn't tell you about variety in environments. I hope I get to go into snow areas and such.

A part of me really wants this, but another part just isn't sure. Sell it to me GAF.

DefectiveReject said:
dammit.... why won't this giant mushroom die?
guys?
i defeated the
knight, kings club, onii king, and dragon
but this damned giant mushroom..... anyone else beat it?
If you're talking about the one with long nose, it's a matter of retreating at the right time and keeping your distance. I can't tell if any class has any special advantage fighting mushrooms, so I'd suggest going with an all-soldier party to the fight.

Don't rush into it and stay far away, like in almost all Guardian battles, it's best to wait for the monster to make the first attack. This way you can observe the range of one of his attacks and immediately take advantage the recovery period after each attack. Throw all your men and women towards it and call them back the second you see the monster animating differently or displaying that anger emotion swirly thing. It means it's going to throw your people off or attack them right away.

Every time it goes under ground, run around the field, trying to avoid where it'll reappear. The trickiest part is trying to dodge it while he's spinning around, leaving a poisonous trail. If it starts using that attack while you're too close to it will result in heavy casualties. If you're given the option to buy different formations from Howser already, the defensive one should help wonders. Your troops will stay close to you, making it easier to dodge attacks like that. Though the formations aren't necessary, really. I didn't buy or use any until pretty late into the game.

mclem

gamingeek said:
The music, by God the music. Why hasn't someone done this before? GTA uses real life licenced tracks to great effect. Now LKS uses original intepretations of some of the most famous classical music songs out there.
Homeworld on the PC has some phenomenal use of classical music.

Earthpainting said:
If you're talking about the one with long nose, it's a matter of retreating at the right time and keeping your distance. I can't tell if any class has any special advantage fighting mushrooms, so I'd suggest going with an all-soldier party to the fight.

Don't rush into it and stay far away, like in almost all Guardian battles, it's best to wait for the monster to make the first attack. This way you can observe the range of one of his attacks and immediately take advantage the recovery period after each attack. Throw all your men and women towards it and call them back the second you see the monster animating differently or displaying that anger emotion swirly thing. It means it's going to throw your people off or attack them right away.

Every time it goes under ground, run around the field, trying to avoid where it'll reappear. The trickiest part is trying to dodge it while he's spinning around, leaving a poisonous trail. If it starts using that attack while you're too close to it will result in heavy casualties. If you're given the option to buy different formations from Howser already, the defensive one should help wonders. Your troops will stay close to you, making it easier to dodge attacks like that. Though the formations aren't necessary, really. I didn't buy or use any until pretty late into the game.

Cheers for the reply. i beat him just as you posted this.
it was a case of just running away from him. he still killed 12 of my men though! now i can develop the very expensive part of town, which comes with a LOT of citizens

farnham

Banned
Eteric Rice said:
So is it true that everyone in the game actually has their own lives and stuff? I remember the developers saying that they wanted their AI to be amazing, and characters would have lives of their own.
well the villagers fall in love with each other occasionally

Top Bottom