• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Little King's Story Thread of Tiny Conquistadors

Kenka said:
There are so few answers in this thread that I am wondering how much of a BOMBA this game must be right now.
Eh I'm waiting for my copy to arrive, but regardless of thread size a game like this is restricted to small sales anyway.

eXistor

Oh God this mothereffing
red turnip boss
is absolutely killing me. Anyone past that already? Any strategy for him?

bartris

Neo Member
WOW! What a game!

Today was the first chance I had to truly sink my teeth into the game, four hours in and ive defeated the first of the seven rival Kings and expanded my Kingdom a few times!

Im absolutely charmed to death by the game and find it so hard to fault in any way.

I hate it when my guys die, so very pleased they come back to life, the whole world though seems to be breathing with so much happening, and so many animals and enemies! The rate im going its going to take a while I imagine to do everything this game has to offer!

Im hopeful that the game finds an Audience. Marvelous seems to have some pretty low expectations as far as sales are concerned to I guess make a profit, with projections of just 289,000 world wide as a happy?? result for them. I hope it gets there and beats it and we see a Little Kings Story II!

eXistor said:
Oh God this mothereffing
red turnip boss
is absolutely killing me. Anyone past that already? Any strategy for him?
Keep your distance and send your blue knights flying towards it when it just attacked, retreat immediately after a second or two/three. There is very little time to get out of the way between the start of its attack animation and the actual attack. Try to ignore the small turnips unless the guardian is all the way on the other side of the map. They're mainly there to keep your party occupied, so the big guy can chomp them like sitting ducks.

The battle can be time consuming, but you should be able to make it without any casualties. Also don't forget to equip your stat-boosting items onto your party. You should have quite a lot of them by now from scavenging and the art-collecting side quest.

CaVaYeRo

Hmmm I put our review, which was one of the first, in the other thread. What happened to it?

http://www.revogamers.net/analisis-433-Little-King's-Story-1.html

I'll try to quick-translate the final thoughts:

Don’t have any doubt: this is one of the games of the year because of its dedication, quality, talent and performance. Which has been perfectly polished at all points (except for the pointer, but it was deliberately), which offers a wide variety of reasons to play and which is suitable for everyone, absolutely every audience, including the fellow who watches while other plays.

For many people, strategy games are addictive, and they spend many hours playing until they squeeze their civilization. Others get bored by the slow pace and choose to directly play an adventure, passing over everything else. And this Little King's Story is giving small doses of the best of both genres in the exact order, making it a long, complex, varied, never repetitive and brain demanding adventure. This core is coated with a layer of artistic genius, one more of comedy, another one of great structure, and swims in a superb soundtrack, giving as a result a sensational videogame for anyone, who can play in long sessions or in little games. Essential.

9.5/10
It’s just amazing how such diverse elements come together in Little King's Story to form a uniform, robust, elegant, fun, playable and very, very addictive videogame. A “must have” for people of all ages and all tastes.

Also, I think EG review is wrong in many ways, and tries to be intelligent by using politics. But it was also discussed there! :lol

Haunted

What the... don't tell me I have to walk all the way back to the castle to save, and there's no quick travel/shortcut/menu option to abort the mission or whatever?

Bad design decision. Bad, bad, bad.

edit: not an issue anymore. :D

Brilliant little game. Got a couple hours in yesterday and it pretty much blew me away. The gameplay is a great mix between Dungeon Keeper and Pikmin and everything else, from the art style to the modelling to the OST full of classical arrangements and the cutscenes is just so damn charming.

Loving it.

legend166

Haunted said:
What the... don't tell me I have to walk all the way back to the castle to save, and there's no quick travel/shortcut/menu option to abort the mission or whatever?

Bad design decision. Bad, bad, bad.

That said, brilliant little game. Got a couple hours in yesterday and it pretty much blew me away. The gameplay is a great mix between Dungeon Keeper and Pikmin and everything else, from the art style to the modelling to the OST full of classical arrangements and the cutscenes is just so damn charming.

Loving it.

Go into the menu and press 2. That's if you're outside the kingdom. Later on, you'll be able to quick jump between places within your kingdom.

Speaking of which, can anyone explain to me the logic behind the warp-to-castle option? Sometimes when I open the menu-ring, I get the 'press 2 to return to your castle' message but at other, seemingly random times I do not. What's the deal? Does it also depend on if your entire party is following you or something? It's been confusing me for a while now.

Haunted

legend166 said:
Go into the menu and press 2. That's if you're outside the kingdom. Later on, you'll be able to quick jump between places within your kingdom.
Excellent! I must've missed that tutorial prompt somehow. Hm.

Will that enable me to keep the stuff I found as well?

Earthpainting said:
Correct, you'll fast-travel to your castle with your loot intact and your guard on stand-by outside.
:D

I feel sorry for ever doubting the devs. Awesome, was seriously feeling down there for a moment.

Haunted said:
Excellent! I must've missed that tutorial prompt somehow. Hm.

Will that enable me to keep the stuff I found as well?

:D

I feel sorry for ever doubting the devs. Awesome, was seriously feeling down there for a moment.
Use the
cow cannon
LOL

I found using 2, would destroy bridges and stuff i built.

Majora

Earthpainting said:
Speaking of which, can anyone explain to me the logic behind the warp-to-castle option? Sometimes when I open the menu-ring, I get the 'press 2 to return to your castle' message but at other, seemingly random times I do not. What's the deal? Does it also depend on if your entire party is following you or something? It's been confusing me for a while now.

I may be wrong but I think it's dependent on if there's an enemy close by.

eXistor

Earthpainting said:
Keep your distance and send your blue knights flying towards it when it just attacked, retreat immediately after a second or two/three. There is very little time to get out of the way between the start of its attack animation and the actual attack. Try to ignore the small turnips unless the guardian is all the way on the other side of the map. They're mainly there to keep your party occupied, so the big guy can chomp them like sitting ducks.

The battle can be time consuming, but you should be able to make it without any casualties. Also don't forget to equip your stat-boosting items onto your party. You should have quite a lot of them by now from scavenging and the art-collecting side quest.
Alright, thanks, I'm gonna try again tonight. Last night that dick did one attack and turned 20 guys into turnips!

Almost everyone inmy party has stat-boosts, so that shouldn;t be the problem. I was surprises at how many times and how quickly he defeated me each time, no other boss gave me any grief before.

My revenge will be sweet.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
I've always had high hopes for this game personally and after these impressions I look forward to playing it.

kizmah

What a charming and highly entertaining "little" game. Oh, and it's huge. My kingdom is expanding and more and more ares are open for expolartion, and I have barely even begun playing. The atmosphere is amazing and the depth of the quite simple and yet versatile gameplay is astounding. So far it's really living up to my quite lofty expectations.

This is a really special game.

It has it's problems, but..

...i will confess, it is almost like i'm playing a Super NES game once again.

And I mean, the feeling. The way i like the graphics and the music for what they are, never caring about the compromises.
It almost got me back to the age i played Harvest Moon, when i would pass through just..another...game day, to see what new will pop up. The feeling of joy from something new being added every day, had a long time to live this in a videogame.

Just opened up the 6 kingdoms, and i know this will be a videogame i finish, unlike so many others in recent times.

Citizen K

Just got this game today. Excellent so far. Quick question...

What happens if your villagers die? I know some come back but if some dont do other new characers take their place? Just asking cos I just lost like 6 in a battle.

hamzik said:
What a charming and highly entertaining "little" game. Oh, and it's huge. My kingdom is expanding and more and more ares are open for expolartion, and I have barely even begun playing. The atmosphere is amazing and the depth of the quite simple and yet versatile gameplay is astounding. So far it's really living up to my quite lofty expectations.
Sums up my impressions pretty well. Truly fantastic game.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Kenka said:
There are so few answers in this thread that I am wondering how much of a BOMBA this game must be right now.

That hardly means anything at all, but by its very nature this is avery niche game, an awesome one yes, but thus the sales will be appropriate to expectations for a game like this.

If it shows on the UK's TOP40 at all it'll be a pretty good success, imo, but even missing that wouldn't mean a bomb as we've already seen for other games' sales later on.
Hopefully word of mouth does some good for a second and third week on Wii's UK TOP10.

Either way, Rising Star will probably release an official statement about that, so we'll see.

And oh, still waiting for my preorder to arrive but I'm not in a hurry, I knew that The Hut is a tad slower than others.

Oxx

I don't really know how sizeable the European Nintendo-owning contingent is on Gaf. Even something like Fire Emblem DS barely had any discussion when it was released in Europe before North America.

Haunted

Citizen K said:
Just got this game today. Excellent so far. Quick question...

What happens if your villagers die? I know some come back but if some dont do other new characers take their place? Just asking cos I just lost like 6 in a battle.
Quite a few come back (in my experience), but some just stay dead.

Get some people married and buy new houses to increase your population again.

kkg1701

Does anyone know how to recall who the lovebirds are (the text scrolls by with "xxx & yyy fell in love" and if I'm doing other things I forget and can't seem to find a way to find them again).

KK

eXistor

kkg1701 said:
Does anyone know how to recall who the lovebirds are (the text scrolls by with "xxx & yyy fell in love" and if I'm doing other things I forget and can't seem to find a way to find them again).

KK
Just walk around town and watch for hearts floating above people's heads. If they're not with the person they're in love with, just talk to them ansd they'll say it.

I beat that stupid turnip boss yesterday, it was actually really easy if you just take it slow and don't take your entire army with you (I took only 13). The
Worrywart boss
was really cool as well, I hope there are a few more really original boss-battles like that one or the
Gourmet King

kkg1701

eXistor said:
Just walk around town and watch for hearts floating above people's heads. If they're not with the person they're in love with, just talk to them ansd they'll say it.

I beat that stupid turnip boss yesterday, it was actually really easy if you just take it slow and don't take your entire army with you (I took only 13). The
Worrywart boss
was really cool as well, I hope there are a few more really original boss-battles like that one or the
Gourmet King

I've been looking but perhaps I've missed them. Guess I'll have to be more alert :D perhaps a paper where I can scribble them down instead of going around and search for them.

KK

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
CaVaYeRo said:
Hmmm I put our review, which was one of the first, in the other thread. What happened to it?

http://www.revogamers.net/analisis-433-Little-King's-Story-1.html

I'll try to quick-translate the final thoughts:

Also, I think EG review is wrong in many ways, and tries to be intelligent by using politics. But it was also discussed there! :lol
thanks, OP updated. I don't speak Spanish, so you'll forgive me for not knowing. OP also updated with other reviews, mostly Spanish. Good to see it sell so well with only one proper day on the market, can't wait for it to hit the states :D

kizmah

Sold more than Pikmin 2 on it's first day. That seems about right.

Doesn't it just break your heart when your citizens die in battle? I already have a favorite or two and I can't allow them to die, just can't.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
My copy arrived today. The presentation is really good, and it's a fun game too! Only up to the frog boss so far though. I like whatever they did to make to make it antialiasy.

hamzik said:
Doesn't it just break your heart when your citizens die in battle? I already have a favorite or two and I can't allow them to die, just can't.
It does! Luckily they will be found on the beach the following day in most cases. Otherwise I reset :)

Funny thing here is: Out of my 32 citizens about 14 have names of family members or real good friends so far. I can't help myself everytime I see my best friends name over this cute little soldier saluting me and going on to his training. :lol

I played a bit more today and explored some of the areas. Unlocked the hunters and wanted to get to the evil king. But 6 guys died so I went back to regroup. Will try later again :D I also saw the red dragon already, damn I'm scared. I don't want to send my troops against this beast.

I love this game so much. The details in your village are just great. They talk to each other, they want to talk to the holy king, they do their daily work. Soldiers prepare for battle and patrol through the village. Handy men repare some buildings. Yeah, even the crops grow and the farmers care for them.
Today I married my first couple. So awesome. The guy was the above mentioned best friend :D They got a little girl, this is the name of my mother in law :lol

So so so so cute and awesome game. Best game on Wii so far for me.

Soule

Bought this on a whim yesterday despite having at least 10 games in my backlog on steam but I've had interest in this game for so long. I started playing and I wasn't really feeling anything and was kinda worried that I wasn't going to get into it (first game I've bought for Wii since smash bros.) but after 30 minutes I'm hooked. I haven't enjoyed a game this much for ages, only got to play around 3 hours yesterday and I really wanna play some more :D

EDIT: just on Marriage how do you know who is in love? Is there a place to find out? Because I saw the notices when I started that people are in love but that was before the church and now I forget who they are. I have like 30 people in my village and don't really feel like just throwing them into the church randomly cause when I did that last time they didn't look happy lol

one couple was named on the morning news ticker and the other one was sitting on the bench near the crossing by the church and I talked to them and they were like "oh maximilian, I love you so" "oh yeah, you are my only one" :lol

ScRYeD

*Insert praise for this game*

I haven't had much time to play LKS been rewatching Eureka, anyways i'm up to the Onii King, so far i've been beaten by him twice.
I absolutely hate losing people even if they do sometimes pop back up at the beach, so if i lose to many people i have to reset the game and try again.
One thing i love is collecting tax's from the resident's home and getting gifts for my troubles, got a pair of spotted underwear [+5 life = win] and dressing my people up in flowers for some reason.

Haunted

Official Little King's Story Thread of Haunted's Wii GOTY.

A couple hours in and this is hands down the best Wii game I've played this year. I'm pretty sure that I won't enjoy Pikmin 3 as much as I do this game. So damn charming and engrossing. The
TV
boss fight had hints of Psychonauts genius behind it. Definitely one of my favourite moments so far.

I just finished playing for 3 hours straight and got to the boss with the club and I'm loving it so far.
There is one thing I'm still not sure about and that's what does the wand do when you press the C-button?

Soule

Oxx said:
All the recognisable music makes me smile.
Happy I'm not alone there :) Such a charming game, definitely my GOTY and probably my favourite Wii game so far, although I've only played less than 10 hours my opinion could change but right now this is scratching my itch.

Haunted

Eyemus Lutt said:
I just finished playing for 3 hours straight and got to the boss with the club and I'm loving it so far.
There is one thing I'm still not sure about and that's what does the wand do when you press the C-button?
It's an attack.

But only a last resort kinda thing, it has small range and does little damage.

A possibly related question: I purchased
weapons and shield research 1+2
on the throne, but I haven't found out what this did, yet. Anyone know?

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
There is no real need for more than 1 carpenter, buff lumberjack and farmer in your party right?

Top Bottom