• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official LucasArts on Steam thread of point-and-click and womp rats

ArjanN said:
Leisure Suit Larry 4: The Missing Floppies?

Huh? No, it's missing LSL7: Love for Sail. Also, LSL6 is the floppy disk version only, not the CD one. Also Police Quest is missing PQ5: SWAT, the KQ collection doesn't have KQVIII in it... that latter one is more defensible given that it's in a completely different genre (and was somewhat disliked, even at the time), that's more defensible... but still, it is a missing game. Also, the previous KQ collection came with several other bonus games. Forget about seeing those here.

Similarly, forget about any of the other extras that were in the previous collections for these serieses, they're not in those versions. "Bare-bones" is indeed being nice.

Great post there detailing all the problems that xsarien made and linked... they really are quite disappointing collections.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4325695&postcount=56

Has Lucasarts done better here? Yes, with the better emulator, I guess so. They have ignored their legacy even more than "Sierra", though, so they don't get much more credit... but they get a bit, now, which is more than they've had for years now. Still, Sierra does some things right too, like how they still have a whole bunch of forums up on their site for their old games... that's awesome, few developers do things like that without closing them down at some point!

tabsina said:
EDIT: Also, are loom and the dig comparable to the Indie games?

Yes. Loom requires some musical knowledge though, so I'm not very good at it... The Dig is awesome though, quite an under-rated game I think. Lucasarts didn't make any bad adventure games; about the 'worst' they get is the first Indy game... that and the last Monkey Island are on bottom, and they're still pretty good games overall.

legend166 said:
Fate of Atlantis crashed on me after about 45 minutes with no save :(

Right as I put the mayonaise on the totem pole to go get the Lost Dialogue of Plato

Dammit.

Well honestly now you know what to do it should not take that long to replay?

Or it would if they did not randomize the puzzles needed to get to the plato book!
:lol

Man Fate of Atlantis rocks so hard.

Not on Steam yet, but I've been playing Monkey 3... and I just opened the recipe book... but my cursor has disappeared. I can't close the book or turn pages or anything. And I don't want to lose 3 hours of play since my Save-in-another-slot. Is this a known bug or anything?

Kletian

So, when pressing F5 does absolutely nothing how in gods name am I suppose to save.

Hardest puzzle in LOOM so far :lol

Jefklak

Android18a said:
Not on Steam yet, but I've been playing Monkey 3... and I just opened the recipe book... but my cursor has disappeared. I can't close the book or turn pages or anything. And I don't want to lose 3 hours of play since my Save-in-another-slot. Is this a known bug or anything?

Are you playing via ScummVM, guess not?
Simply press F1, save state, restart and reload?
Did you try ALT+TABbing?

Jefklak said:
Are you playing via ScummVM, guess not?
Simply press F1, save state, restart and reload?
Did you try ALT+TABbing?

Yes, on ScummVM. I tried saving and loading, but not quitting out entirely. The cursor works when I load an older save, though, and when I bring up the F1 menu.

Didn't try Alt-Tab though. What does that do?

RJT

How can these games not be on Steam's best sellers list? Please tell me Steam only updates the list weekly or something...

Kletian said:
I F'd every F on my damn keyboard and all it does is move Bobbin to where my cursor is pointing.

You must have alt-tabbed out or something. Press alt when in game and it should fix it.

Vorador

Banned
I forgot how much of a tool
Trottier
is in Fate of Atlantis :lol You have to be REALLY careful with your wording when asking him for a meeting or he completely shuts you off.

The_Dude

Could someone please tell me if Republic Commando and Armed and Dangerous support any 16:9 resolutions? Or do they work like the adventure games, where you can retain the right aspect ratio?

duffey

The_Dude said:
Could someone please tell me if Republic Commando and Armed and Dangerous support any 16:9 resolutions? Or do they work like the adventure games, where you can retain the right aspect ratio?
In Republic Commando you can force resolutions that aren't selectable via the in-game menu. You have to start the game first and then go to the system.ini file here:

\Steam\steamapps\common\star wars republic commando\GameData\Save

under [WinDrv.WindowsClient]

And edit your resolution inside. In addition if the FOV has a fish-eye effect you can edit that here inside the same file:

[Editor.EditorEngine]
FovAngleDegrees=100.000000 (example that I use for a 16:10 resolution)

Coop

legend166 said:
What the hell are the fighting controls in the Fate of Atlantis?

The keys during a "Keyboard" mode fight are:

(8) (9)
Block High Punch High
(5) (6)
Block Mid Punch Mid
(2) (3)
Block Low Punch Low

edit: blah, can't get it right.

Basically on the keypad... 7,4,1 are stepback. 8(high),5(mid),2(low) is block. 9(high),6(mid),3(low) is punch.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
When I get back from vacation to my PC, I'm going to be all over Fate of Atlantis and The Dig, especially the latter since I never got to play it.

I hope LucasArts pumps some more old releases out, and then maybe whomever has the rights can give us King's Quest and the other Sierra games.

Ryu

Finished Fate of Atlantis and Republic Commando today.

I never got around to playing either game before and both were VERY pleasant surprises. I forgot just how difficult games were back in the day and Fate of Atlantis smacked me down quite a few times (even had to resort to an FAQ in one or two instances). Still though, really enjoyable.

Republic Commando was awesome as well. The second act is by far the weakest, but it certainly had its moments, especially at the end. The third act is PURE awesome and I really enjoyed myself. I hope they manage to do a next-gen sequel, but I highly doubt it. When teams are allowed to split from traditional Star Wars canon and create something new and really make some amazing stories that tell events between the lines (Force Unleashed, Republic Commando) they can produce some great stuff.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dan said:
When I get back from vacation to my PC, I'm going to be all over Fate of Atlantis and The Dig, especially the latter since I never got to play it.

I hope LucasArts pumps some more old releases out, and then maybe whomever has the rights can give us King's Quest and the other Sierra games.

Vivendi released a King's Quest Collection DVD back in 2006 for $19.99. It was pretty bare bones and featured King's Quest I-VII (including the VGA versions of the first two) and ran on DOSBox. I picked it up from a Gamestop, but I'm sure there are still some copies on Amazon or some other site. I had really fond memories of King's Quest V and VI and those two alone were worth the $20 for me.

GhaleonQ

Zefah said:
Vivendi released a King's Quest Collection DVD back in 2006 for $19.99. It was pretty bare bones and featured King's Quest I-VII (including the VGA versions of the first two) and ran on DOSBox. I picked it up from a Gamestop, but I'm sure there are still some copies on Amazon or some other site. I had really fond memories of King's Quest V and VI and those two alone were worth the $20 for me.

The version before that has an awesome manual, 3 nice CD's, and doesn't run fricking DOSBox to function. Plus, bonus games! It's really, really good (as are all of the compilations from that period).

Coop said:
The keys during a "Keyboard" mode fight are:

(8) (9)
Block High Punch High
(5) (6)
Block Mid Punch Mid
(2) (3)
Block Low Punch Low

edit: blah, can't get it right.

Basically on the keypad... 7,4,1 are stepback. 8(high),5(mid),2(low) is block. 9(high),6(mid),3(low) is punch.

I always just sucker punched (0) :lol

I don't think I ever got any other button to work in a fight. Maybe my num lock was off...

RJT said:
How can these games not be on Steam's best sellers list? Please tell me Steam only updates the list weekly or something...

Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, seems a ton of people are waiting on bundles/sales before purchasing. This is the negative side of all the regular sales they run on Steam. People stop buying full price in greater numbers waiting for the eventual sales/bundles. Hopefully Lucasarts doesn't take the initial low sales numbers for the older games as lack of interest. They really have nobody but themselves to blame, since they actually mentioned bundles before the first batch of a la carte games appeared.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
GhaleonQ said:
The version before that has an awesome manual, 3 nice CD's, and doesn't run fricking DOSBox to function. Plus, bonus games! It's really, really good (as are all of the compilations from that period).

Wow, I'll have to look into that. How does it run if not through DOSBox? Did they port the games to run on XP?

Twig

Banned
Grimm Fandango said:
I always just sucker punched (0) :lol

I don't think I ever got any other button to work in a fight. Maybe my num lock was off...
I think I had the same problem, so I also always used 0.

Been so long, though!

Dr. Zoidberg said:
Based on what I've read here and elsewhere, seems a ton of people are waiting on bundles/sales before purchasing.
I know I am... Cheap, I know, but I am waiting for the bundles (they should have been there day 1, if I buy 4 adventures I should get a discount after all).

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
This is probably an incredibly dumb question, but I checked the option in The Dig to launch in fullscreen mode, and now I can't figure out how to switch back to a windowed mode. -__-

legend166

Cosmic Bus said:
This is probably an incredibly dumb question, but I checked the option in The Dig to launch in fullscreen mode, and now I can't figure out how to switch back to a windowed mode. -__-

Alt + Enter.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Cosmic Bus said:

Alt+Enter does it for me

Heres what I've bought so far, impressions:

The Dig: Never played it before, AMAZING! Love the production values, had no idea Card and Spielberg were attached to it. Kind of hard and a little annoying that I cant skip trough conversations Ive already heard ... but really novel in terms of story as far as the SCUMM games are concerned.

Last Crusade: Wow this didnt age well. I played it in the Amiga back when it came out and its kind of annoying to play due to the interface, like having to clik "talk" and then the person, or "look" and then the item. I dont remember having to do that in the Amiga version, also the sound is awful, every time Indy takes a step its a really bad sound thats played, so I dont know whats up with that.

Fate of Atlantis: Perfect so far. I played this some years ago on a laptop and that version didnt have voices, so Im enjoying that. Never finsihed it thugh so Im looking forward to it this time around :)

Loom: Havent started yet, I hear good things though.

My only problem with these games is that they were way, WAY ahead of their time. Even Monkey Island 3 was ahead of its time due to the horrible way that Guybrush's pixels were scaled up and down, taking a heavy toll on the otherwise gorgeous art. Having these games come out today with the same people involved with the same graphical effort would be really amazing (Im saying this as a person whos very underwhelmed by the hack job on Monkey Island SE, the new art is hideous and lazy when compared to the original)

Back in the day it made sense for these games to be hard, because theyre actually pretty sort when you have access to gamefaqs every time youre stuck ... hell when I was little we would be stuck for WEEKS and would have discussions with friends about how to solve a particular puzzle, it was amazing! The games were fully translated to Spanish (thats where I grew up) which was an amazing feat for the time and the best part was that the PC mag out at the time didn't have a guide per se, rather they came out with a brilliant idea: The main character of the game narrated his adventure and just gave hints as to how to solve each puzzle. Having online guides now makes it too tempting to be all like "fuck this I aint got no time" and consult the guide everytime youre stuck, takes away part of the charm for sure.

Cosmic Bus said:
Well shit. That must be one of the only combinations I didn't try! I was all Alt this and Shift that... Thanks. :)

Alt+Enter is the standard "make a window fullscreen" key combo in Windows, though. You really didn't know it?

MNC

I double dipped with Battlefront 2. The game is amazing, don't need a gamespy account to play online and Conversion pack 2.0 is a fucking must for every battlefront/star wars fan.

Javaman

MNC said:
I double dipped with Battlefront 2. The game is amazing, don't need a gamespy account to play online and Conversion pack 2.0 is a fucking must for every battlefront/star wars fan.

That's definitely one of the ones I'm going to pick up. Any word on a combo pack? I refuse to buy anything till they release a package deal since I'll probably be picking up all the titles.

Top Bottom