• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official LucasArts on Steam thread of point-and-click and womp rats

Traced-Velocity said:
ah beautiful. I was afraid they hadn't included PIXELS option when I looked at the fuck ugly screenshots on steam. good times

Media guys who have been able to play Monkey Island SE, I have a question.

Is the music and audio all generated on the fly? The original MIDI tracks (MT32!) are awesome because they are all controlled dynamically by iMuse, resulting in seamless editing, precision timing and no looping gaps. They are however, missing sound effects. The Adlib mode sounds worse but adds a few sound effects. The CD digital audio version adds better sound effects and additional environmental sounds (the ocean!) but doesn't have the precise timing of iMuse-generated music and has nasty gaps when looping. The end result is there is no definitive way to configure music in the original Monkey Island, there is always a compromise no matter how you set it up.

Does the SE address this? In either reskin mode or classic mode, or both?

Owozifa

beermonkey@tehbias said:
Media guys who have been able to play Monkey Island SE, I have a question.

Is the music and audio all generated on the fly? The original MIDI tracks (MT32!) are awesome because they are all controlled dynamically by iMuse, resulting in seamless editing, precision timing and no looping gaps. They are however, missing sound effects. The Adlib mode sounds worse but adds a few sound effects. The CD digital audio version adds better sound effects and additional environmental sounds (the ocean!) but doesn't have the precise timing of iMuse-generated music and has nasty gaps when looping. The end result is there is no definitive way to configure music in the original Monkey Island, there is always a compromise no matter how you set it up.

Does the SE address this? In either reskin mode or classic mode, or both?

I haven't played the new game, but the original Monkey Island was created before iMuse and was actually mostly silent in the original floppy version. The CD version added more music and environmental sounds through Redbook audio, but neither used the iMuse system. They'd probably have the technology to have the CD-quality audio with smoother transitions now, but I don't know what they're doing with it.

Owozifa said:
I haven't played the new game, but the original Monkey Island was created before iMuse and was actually mostly silent in the original floppy version. The CD version added more music and environmental sounds through Redbook audio, but neither used the iMuse system. They'd probably have the technology to have the CD-quality audio with smoother transitions now, but I don't know what they're doing with it.

Well, it may not have been iMuse, but just having the seamless looping and instant music cues made the chip music feel much tighter than the CD version.

Just started playing Fate of Atlantis for the first time and it is already infinetly times better than Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls.

How do you save in this game??

Surfheart

I never played the Indys' back in the day. Is there an order I should play them in? Was Last Crusade not that good?

Thanks for any opinions.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Surfheart said:
I never played the Indys' back in the day. Is there an order I should play them in? Was Last Crusade not that good?

Thanks for any opinions.
I'm yet to play The Last Crusade, but Fate of Atlantis seems to be commonly recognised as the must-play, the classic. I've played Fate, and I can't recommend it enough. Buy it. Play it. Love it.

So to answer your question, it doesn't matter which order you play them in. I'll let someone else answer the other part of the question.

BluWacky

Anticitizen One said:
Just started playing Fate of Atlantis for the first time and it is already infinetly times better than Kingdom of the Crystal Skulls.

How do you save in this game??

Press F5, it should bring up a save/load menu.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
is The Dig worth playing? I've heard nothing but bad things.

Rez said:

We need names if we are going to be able to break kneecaps. In short, yes it is worth playing. It's not one of the ultimate classics perhaps but it is a damn fine adventure game. Very cinematic game.

BluWacky

Rez said:

Yes. It's quite different from the other Lucasarts games in that it's not witty (it takes itself very seriously) and the puzzles can be a bit more abstract, but it's beautiful and atmospheric.

senahorse

Will be picking up both Indy's, Loom and The Dig, and maybe Battlefront 2 if a decent amount of people start playing it.

Eaten By A Grue said:
Fate has talkie, Crusade nope. I don't think the original Crusade had talk either?

That's right, Last Crusade never had a talkie version, nonetheless the game is a classic (often overlooked by people for Fate of Atlantis) and should be played by any adventure fan.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
thanks for the responses. I'll be sure to pick it up when my bandwidth cap resets for the month (I'm at about 24gb out of 25gb at the moment, and I still have ten days left in the cycle, eck).

Surfheart

Anyway to run the Indy games upscaled similarly to dosbox? Windowed mode is too small and fullscreen is quite soft. I like with dosbox how you can say have a 640x480 (2x 320x240) window. The games look quite decent at this size without filtering of course.

Anyone know what the Never switch resolutions is meant to do?

Edit: Thanks Rez.

Edit2: Anyone else not getting icons for the Indy games in the Steam games list?

Javaman

Awesome prices on the adventure games, but SWBF is a bit too pricey for my blood. Hopefully they'll announce the package deals soon.

eXistor

Just got the Dig, one of the few Lucasarts adventures I haven't played yet. I might pick up Loom as well, I have it already, but the disc is quite scratched. I must admit Loom never clicked with me, so maybe I'll appreciate it more now that I'm older.

/edit: Just started up the Dig. Is there any way to turn off that horrible pixel filter? I don't seem to be able to find the option.

alex1893

just bought and downloading The Dig right now, never played it before.

Where's Indy 3? it's missing in the german Steam store...

Meier

The Dig for 5 bucks is a steal. It'd be awesome if the old Sierra games were put on there for a similar cost. I bought Grim Fandango but could never play it because it crashed like right after the first scene every single time.. hopefully it gets put on there too.

alex1893

BluWacky said:
Was there a German version originally? They probably forgot about taking out swastikas etc.
think that's it. There was a german version back then but it was censored, stuff like swastikas were edited out.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
eXistor said:
Just got the Dig, one of the few Lucasarts adventures I haven't played yet. I might pick up Loom as well, I have it already, but the disc is quite scratched. I must admit Loom never clicked with me, so maybe I'll appreciate it more now that I'm older.

/edit: Just started up the Dig. Is there any way to turn off that horrible pixel filter? I don't seem to be able to find the option.

Either right click on the window frame and uncheck graphic smoothing or hit the hotkey Alt+S.

Cronen

On the Lucasarts twitter they just gave away a code for 'Lucasarts Adventure Pack', which is the 4 point and click games that they just released, so eah, a pack is coming.

They're gonna be giving more codes away too, so keep an eye out on their page!

Vorador

Banned
Just finished The Dig, my memory didn't failed me and i remembered how to finish the game. Excellent game and very cinematic.

I hope my memory serves me as well with the rest of the LucasArts games.

Chris Remo said:
I would very much recommend playing the first two games in their original form. If you pick up the Secret of Monkey Island remake, I would really, really, REALLY advise not using the remade graphics and voice acting. I know there are differences of opinion on this, but to me the new graphics and voice completely change the character of the game to the style that was established in Monkey Island 3, which is a great game but also VERY different to the first two. I think it would be a real shame to miss out on the unique tone and timbre of Gilbert/Schafer/Grossman's original games, which in my opinion has never been replicated in further titles in the series.

I'm also on the boat that thinks that Monkey Island 3 is a fine adventure game, but isn't a true Monkey Island. The first two games had a very unique style and sense of humor that the third one was unable to replicate.

nubbe

I wish they had done a pack right away. I want to buy the games, but I know there will be better deals for the games during some weekend.

Ryu

Started playing Republic Commando last night and finished all of Geonosis and I'm a few checkpoints into the next level. Awesome game so far! I love the squad mechanics.

TimeKillr

devildog820 said:
Whoever owns the Sierra rights will be seeing how the LucasArts stuff does. If it does well, they will put the effort in.

You do know that "Sierra" re-released huge collections of their old games at retail a few years back?

They all ran through DosBox too :)

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
devildog820 said:
Whoever owns the Sierra rights will be seeing how the LucasArts stuff does. If it does well, they will put the effort in.

I guess that is up to Activison, with them there is at least a chance that the old Sierra stuff might make it to Steam, with the old Sierra Entertainment, HAHAHAHAHAHA!

NZNova

TimeKillr said:
You do know that "Sierra" re-released huge collections of their old games at retail a few years back?

I do love my Police Quest / Space Quest sets :D

xsarien

daedsiluap
TimeKillr said:

To sum up the huge-ass wall of text that I posted to NeoGAF when I bought all of those in a fit of nostalgia-fueled Amazon shopping, "this was the least we could do" may as well have been stamped on every box. They're seriously underwhelming, in some cases the DOSBox profiles were misconfigured, an entire game was left out of the LSL box, and the manuals, while PDFs were fine, were black and white and copies of the previous collections' manuals, not the real, original documentation that came with the games when they were first released.

LucasArts fans win the nostalgia wars, Vivendi's done nothing with the remains of Sierra's adventure back-catalog except occasionally knock over the headstone.

Jefklak

Since we're talking about other "classic" adventure games, I'd like to mention Gobliiins 4 has recently been released - check out the official webpage here http://www.snowball.ru/g4-eng/
Yes one of the original creators of Goblins, Pierre Gilhodes, has been working on it.

By the way, you get the first three games for free included in the CD.
Wow. I mean. Really. Gobliins? You know? Amazingly awesome stuff! I loved Coktel Vision.

(This deserves it's own thread but there are little to no goblins fans here so whatever)

ArjanN

xsarien said:
To sum up the huge-ass wall of text that I posted to NeoGAF when I bought all of those in a fit of nostalgia-fueled Amazon shopping, "this was the least we could do" may as well have been stamped on every box. They're seriously underwhelming, in some cases the DOSBox profiles were misconfigured, an entire game was left out of the LSL box.

Leisure Suit Larry 4: The Missing Floppies?

Vorador

Banned
I forgot how much fun is to
mess with Sophia's little conference
in Fate of Atlantis.

I present you NUB-AR-SAL, god of..

of...

"deceit"

..Deceit!.

Thanks Indy.

:lol :lol

Minsc

Gold Member
ArjanN said:
Leisure Suit Larry 4: The Missing Floppies?

Has to be a joke if that's it.

I remember reading about the config's being poor in that sierra compilation, but it's simple enough to setup your own.

legend166

Fate of Atlantis crashed on me after about 45 minutes with no save :(

Right as I put the mayonaise on the totem pole to go get the Lost Dialogue of Plato

Dammit.

tabsina

Is this the weekend deal in disguise, or will there be something else?

Usually it is out by now (Australia)

EDIT: Also, are loom and the dig comparable to the Indie games?

Top Bottom