• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official LucasArts on Steam thread of point-and-click and womp rats

theJwac

God, please let them release Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight. I fucking loved that game. I still have my discs but have no one to play with. Maybe rereleasing it will allow me to relive some of the glory days in Canyon Oasis and Jedi High School.

BluWacky

RPGCrazied said:
so why not remake them like monkey island is getting? The dig would look so awesome with hd backgrounds/movies

Monkey Island SE is a trial run. If it sells well then they'll consider remaking more of them.

It'll be tricky, though. Monkey Island, although it holds up well, has fairly limited animation compared to the later SCUMM games (Day of the Tentacle in particular springs to mind) and the update has preserved that to an extent; but they'd have to spend a fair whack on making any of the later games look as good as they did in the early 90s.

Minsc

Gold Member
ZombieSupaStar said:
so are these running on dosbox or scummvm?

Someone on that tweet did say neither, which may not be the best thing. Certainly I'd wager you'll have significantly less audio/visual options available to you than if you were running the game through SCUMMVM, where you can choose between a dozen different upscaling techniques.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
RPGCrazied said:
so why not remake them like monkey island is getting? The dig would look so awesome with hd backgrounds/movies
If they remake them like the first Monkey Island, they'll look like shit but in HD (because this is what the remake looks, thanks to its crappy artstyle).
Unless they hire decent artists, no thanks. Artstyle is much more important than mere resolution to me.

Minsc

Gold Member
Jocchan said:
If they remake them like the first Monkey Island, they'll look like shit but in HD (because this is what the remake looks, thanks to its crappy artstyle).
Unless they hire decent artists, no thanks. Artstyle is much more important than mere resolution to me.

But the pixels, hurt your eyes! Evil pixels, evil!!!

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Minsc said:
But the pixels, hurt your eyes! Evil pixels, evil!!!
I admit I have a soft spot for the original visual style :D
But my problem with the remake is mostly due to the new artstyle being horrible per se (bubububu it's HD so it's automatically better!!!111!!1!!!), and the fact better artists could have made a much better work for about the same price makes me really sad.
Add the fact you get no voice acting with the original graphics (why? the lines are exactly the same, after all), and here's why my sadness turned into bitterness.

Twig

Banned
Jocchan said:
But my problem with the remake is mostly due to the new artstyle being horrible per se (bubububu it's HD so it's automatically better!!!111!!1!!!), and the fact better artists could have made a much better work for about the same price makes me really sad.
Add the fact you get no voice acting with the original graphics (why? the lines are exactly the same, after all), and here's why my sadness turned into bitterness.
I agree with you on all points. (Surprise!)

MNC

Jocchan said:
Yes, my main gripe! They made it feel slightly more cartoony iirc (There were some comparison shots) and I have the feeling the original is nicer IMO.

(Gripe is a big word, it's still awesome)

The choice to build the remake directly "on top" of the old game is interesting, but ultimately drags the whole thing down, I think. Every frame of animation is replicated, it seems. I think it's pretty jarring to see these high resolution sprites animate exactly like the old low res ones. I think if they were going to remake the original, they needed to go the whole way with high quality art and animation, even if it meant that they had to sacrifice the ability to jump back and forth between styles instantly.

HOWEVER...

The live recorded music featured in the remake is fabulous and the prime reason I'm going to be playing through it.

Twig

Banned
civilstrife said:
The choice to build the remake directly "on top" of the old game is interesting, but ultimately drags the whole thing down, I think. Every frame of animation is replicated, it seems. I think it's pretty jarring to see these high resolution sprites animate exactly like the old low res ones. I think if they were going to remake the original, they needed to go the whole way with high quality art and animation, even if it meant that they had to sacrifice the ability to jump back and forth between styles instantly.
Did you feel the same about Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix?

I never played it. Just curious.

The bigger problem is just that I plain do not like the new art style.

Maybe it'll grow on me, though? Maybe...?

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
TheOneGuy said:
I agree with you on all points. (Surprise!)
:D

MNC said:
Yes, my main gripe! They made it feel slightly more cartoony iirc (There were some comparison shots) and I have the feeling the original is nicer IMO.

(Gripe is a big word, it's still awesome)
Well, I love cartoony styles (I find Curse to be a timeless masterpiece whose style won't ever get old despite the absurd resolution we're going to get in the future).
What I don't love is Bad Art™ (and Sharp Knees™ :p) like this:
30l08xv.jpg

civilstrife said:
28up7p3.gif

:(
But I understand how limited their budget was, so we couldn't hope for anything better about animations.

civilstrife said:
HOWEVER...

The live recorded music featured in the remake is fabulous and the prime reason I'm going to be playing through it.
I know I'm going to end up picking it up too :lol

TheOneGuy said:
Maybe it'll grow on me, though? Maybe...?
To be honest, since the unveiling I now find it a little less horrible.
A little. It's still outrageously horrible to me :D

Zzoram

I wonder what the budgets for the remake and Tales games are, and how much Telltale are paying LucasArts for the rights to make Tales.

Hummm... I am on a fence here.

of course it is great that those games are available in a digital distributor. But it will all depend on their price.

I have most of the games here, on CD-ROM format. I may double buy if the price is low (less than US$ 5 per game) or I will wait for the end of the year sales.

remakes are a different thing. For sure I will get the Special Edition of Monkey Island, but I am not sure where. XBLA achievements versus superior PC control... hum....

I hope more remakes follow (Tentacle, please).

Chiaroscuro said:
Hummm... I am on a fence here.

of course it is great that those games are available in a digital distributor. But it will all depend on their price.

I have most of the games here, on CD-ROM format. I may double buy if the price is low (less than US$ 5 per game) or I will wait for the end of the year sales.

remakes are a different thing. For sure I will get the Special Edition of Monkey Island, but I am not sure where. XBLA achievements versus superior PC control... hum....

I hope more remakes follow (Tentacle, please).

I can almost guarantee they won't be $5.00 or less.

Haunted

I called it. Excellent news, although I own or have played through all of the 10 announced so far already.

Much more excited about Tales and the remake. :)

Blizzard

Banned
LovingSteam said:
I can almost guarantee they won't be $5.00 or less.
ALMOST. :lol

I probably still have an actual Fate of Atlantis CD around somewhere, but I'll probably get it anyway. Do you have any idea how many months it might be before they release a collection pack? :/ What's the best game besids Fate of Atlantis? Dig? Loom? Maybe I can just get two and then pick up the rest if they're good (I want to try Day of the Tentacle and maybe the original Monkey Island).

Javaman

Shard said:
So is anybody else waiting for the packages to come?

I'm going to wait in hope that they do what novalogic did where they released a package a week or two after the individual titles.

Shard said:
I always saw this as the flaw in Valve's "sales experiments" presentation. They were demonstrating huge spikes in sales for limited-time drastically reduced prices, but it seemed to me a lot of that was predicated on it being unexpected. The more of them they run, though, the more people are going to hold off on initial or MSRP purchases until the inevitable "sale".

BluWacky

Shard said:

Packages? When the adventure games are THREE POUNDS EACH? Just buy the ones you want now and buy the other ones when you finish them, you're not going to make a massive saving and you're amortising the costs out so it feels cheaper anyway!

I'm so thrilled about this whole thing (even though I've ScummVmed the hell out of these games in the past few years).

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
BluWacky said:
Packages? When the adventure games are THREE POUNDS EACH? Just buy the ones you want now and buy the other ones when you finish them, you're not going to make a massive saving and you're amortising the costs out so it feels cheaper anyway!

I'm so thrilled about this whole thing (even though I've ScummVmed the hell out of these games in the past few years).

There is more there then just the adventure games that are worth buying.

larvi

alistairw said:
Is Thrillville any good? I never played it. I was going to pick it up, but I haven't seen anyone else in this thread express excitement over it. So...not worth it?

Goes without saying that I'll be buying Dig, Loom, etc. My wallet is fucking bleeding at the moment.

Fyi,unless you are wed to Steam you should be able to find Thrillville OTR cheaper someone else. Gogamer has it for $7.90 (+ship), and I bought it for my kids for $1.90 plus shipping during one of their sales.

I haven't played it so can't really comment but my kids still prefer RCT 2 and 3 over this as far as a theme park sim goes. We also have the wii version and they do play the mini games as party games with friends quite a bit.

nny

Just got Loom, The Dig and Fate of Atlantis. Yesterday a new Monkey Island, this today, I'm so very pleased right now. My sweet, sweet adventuring.

RPGCrazied said:
Frankly I'd rather have them not remade at all than remade like Monkey Island. I think that game looks horrible, and genuinely detracts from the original game. I would much rather have people who are new to the franchises not have the option to see this sub-par treatment.

The original games were obviously low-resolution, but they were made with full teams of talented artists and animators. In many cases they were hand-painted backgrounds scanned in and meticulously modified for the PC format. They were NOT cheap low-budget reissue-quality projects, they were full-scale development cycles with all the time and money and attention that comes with that. Again, I know they're low-res, but the artistry there was so far beyond this Special Edition stuff that it's not even funny. I'm sure the people who made the Special Edition were doing the best they could under the circumstances, but it's just not up to the standard of the original releases.

Holding off purchasing these since there will be bundles. Hope it is this week's weekend deal.

Now word on pricing yet - still working out where to price the bundles (CHEAP!), so saying now would be premature. You'll know Wed, though!

It said we would know today. Don't see any bundles on Steam yet.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
So do we know yet how well these run compared to playing on scummvm? Anyone try?

Chris Remo said:
The original games were obviously low-resolution, but they were made with full teams of talented artists and animators. In many cases they were hand-painted backgrounds scanned in and meticulously modified for the PC format. They were NOT cheap low-budget reissue-quality projects, they were full-scale development cycles with all the time and money and attention that comes with that. Again, I know they're low-res, but the artistry there was so far beyond this Special Edition stuff that it's not even funny. I'm sure the people who made the Special Edition were doing the best they could under the circumstances, but it's just not up to the standard of the original releases.

It's possible to do a good job with a high-res reskin, most people are pretty happy with SSF2THDR (you'll never please everyone). But yeah, the Monkey Island reskin really shits the bed. The new designs and art are really, really lacking the character and charm of the original.

Angst

It's up here in Europe.

The Dig 3.99€
Indy Fate 3.99€
Starfighter 3.99€
Lego Indy 17.99€
Battlefront II 17.99€
Indy Last Crusade 3.99€
Thrillville 17.99€
Republic Commando 8.99€

I guess that means that the old-school adventure games will be $3.99 as Valve insists that 1€ = 1 USD... :-(

Bought Tales of Monkey Island! :D

Google

beermonkey@tehbias said:
It's possible to do a good job with a high-res reskin, most people are pretty happy with SSF2THDR (you'll never please everyone). But yeah, the Monkey Island reskin really shits the bed. The new designs and art are really, really lacking the character and charm of the original.

Then play the fucking original version which is being released at the same time!

I'm excited to play this.

I know how the original plays.

I've played and completed it many, many times.

I'm looking forward to playing the special edition because it puts a nice spin on things.

RJT

Angst said:
I guess that means that the old-school adventure games will be $3.99 as Valve insists that 1€ = 1 USD... :-(
They're 5$. Valve doesn't think 1€=1$, some publishers on Steam do.

Top Bottom