• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official LucasArts on Steam thread of point-and-click and womp rats

GameGamer

oldboy.jpg

Minsc

Gold Member
Zzoram said:
I'm guessing that they are staggering their Steam releases to give people's wallets a chance to pick up as many games as possible.

I wonder if they'll do a "Lucas Arts Everything Pack" when it's all done?

What happens if you buy it on Steam individually, then again in some sort of collection, and then a 3rd time in another collection? Can you sell your previous copies, or atleast gift them when you're done? Does steam credit you a portion of the sale since you own the title already?

Varna

Minsc said:
What happens if you buy it on Steam individually, then again in some sort of collection, and then a 3rd time in another collection? Can you sell your previous copies, or atleast gift them when you're done? Does steam credit you a portion of the sale since you own the title already?

They will give you one gift copy for every duplicate you buy.

DMczaf

Was this posted?

From j0ystiq

The purists amongst you might be curious to learn precisely which versions of LucasArts' classic adventure games are making their way to Steam this Wednesday ... after all, LOOM was released in both a 16-color EGA floppy disk version, as well as a 256-color CD-ROM version with full voiceover (so-called "talkie" support); Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis was released on both floppy disk and then CD-ROM a year later; and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure was released on both floppy and CD as well ...

... but the Steam version of The Last Crusade isn't the CD-ROM version that was released in 1992! LucasArts tells us that the version of The Last Crusade that will be put on Steam is a "previously unreleased version" with "even more bugfixes" than the original CD-ROM re-release, along with a "Tandy 1000 sound engine." As for LOOM and Atlantis, you'll be seeing the CD-ROM "talkie" versions for both on Steam.

The Dig was CD-ROM only, and the other six titles being released on Wednesday only had one version. The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition is a special case – the remastered version is obviously new, but you can switch back and forth between the "Special Edition" and the original. That "original" release is in fact the CD-ROM version of the game, not the floppy disk version, in case you were wondering.

Also of note: the copy protection system for both LOOM and The Last Crusade was to include an add-in – the "Book of Patterns" and "Grail Diary" respectively – that would have to be referenced while playing the game (take that, pirates!). LucasArts tells us they'll have PDF versions of both, so fret not, Adventure Gamer. It's your week!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Varna said:

Not true. That only happened with Half Life 2 and Half Life 2 Episode I.

For instance, if you bought Team Fortress 2 stand alone, and then bought the Orange Box pack when it was 9,90, you wouldn't get a gift copy of Team Fortress 2.

epmode

Varna said:
Valve only does this for a handful of games, most of which are Valve-developed. I seriously doubt they'd do the same here.

GOG routinely credits you for old games if you buy a later package that includes them.
DMczaf said:
From j0ystiq
Ugh, the talkie Loom. For anyone interested in that one, the CD version is actually gimped when compared to the original release. Yes, it has voice acting and redone graphics. It's also missing a decent chunk of the regular game's dialog. The best version is actually the text-only FM-Towns port, which has all the rad new art but isn't cut short due to uncompressed audio filling the entire CD.

From Wikipedia:
The DOS CD-ROM version has retouched graphics, greatly shortened dialogue, and lacks a number of features found in the floppy version, such as alternate solutions to puzzles. The game is also missing close-ups during dialogues; however, these portraits are present in the game's resource file.[4] According to the designers, the dialogue was edited for lack of space—a single CD-ROM can only hold about 74 minutes of uncompressed audio data.

Varna

drizzle said:
Not true. That only happened with Half Life 2 and Half Life 2 Episode I.

For instance, if you bought Team Fortress 2 stand alone, and then bought the Orange Box pack when it was 9,90, you wouldn't get a gift copy of Team Fortress 2.

Whoa. That bull shit.

The only duplicate I ever got was HL2.

Gallagher

Banned
letsbereasonable said:
LucasArts joins Steam on July 8, 2009, with these games comprising the first round of releases:

• Armed and Dangerous™
• Indiana Jones® and the Fate of Atlantis
• Indiana Jones® and the Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure
• LEGO® Indiana Jones: The Original Adventure
• LOOM™
• Star Wars Battlefront® II
• Star Wars Republic Commando®
• Star Wars Starfighter™
• The Dig®
• Thrillville®: Off the Rails™

The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition will join Steam on July 15.

The first Tales of Monkey Island episodes releases July 7 at Telltale; no official Steam date yet.

Here's the press release:
http://www.lucasarts.com/company/vip/catalog/lec_backcatalog_2009.pdf

Corresponding Stiq of Joy interview alludes to future iPhone and portable versions:
http://www.*******.com/2009/07/06/breaking-lucasarts-classics-coming-to-steam-this-wednesday/#continued

Follow the LucasArts Twitter for more information and annoucements of announcements.
http://twitter.com/lucasartsgames

Pricing and Steam links to come. No word on GoG or Impulse releases, but a GoG post says they're trying.

i just came....

Need to get

Last Crusade
Fate of Atlantis
Loom
The Dig

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Most of the pack-in deals are good enough to warrant their expenses even if you already have a couple titles in it.

For instance, let's say each game on the Lucas Arts costs 10 bucks. You go and you buy, I don't know, Republic Commando.

All 10 games would cost you 100 usd. Steam packs usually come with at least 33% discount. That would mean that all 10 games would cost you 67 usd. That's still a better deal than buying the other 9 games separately, even if you'll get a "repeat".

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Will be picking up most of the adventure games as they come out.

Also, beyond just the popular Star Wars games like Tie Fighter, X-Wing, and the Jedi games, I hope they release more of the obscure titles. I would love to have a Steam version of Rebellion. I know it isn't really that great of game, but I loved it when I was younger.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Is Thrillville any good? I never played it. I was going to pick it up, but I haven't seen anyone else in this thread express excitement over it. So...not worth it?

Goes without saying that I'll be buying Dig, Loom, etc. My wallet is fucking bleeding at the moment.

BluWacky

alistairw said:
Is Thrillville any good? I never played it. I was going to pick it up, but I haven't seen anyone else in this thread express excitement over it. So...not worth it?

I've only played the PS2 version, and it's fine. The minigames are very repetitive (it wasn't helped by the long load times which shouldn't be a problem on the PC) but it's fun enough. If you liked Theme Park World/Inc more than Rollercoaster Tycoon you'll be in your element (and I definitely fall into the former category).

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
I'll purchase many of these, depending on the price. Don't try to rip me off with $19.99 Republic Commando, when I can find it on the Xbox for ten bucks, please.

drizzle said:
They did? I didn't know about that. I was already going to buy it the moment it came out for PC, but now... now I really have to.

I fucking LOVED Republic Commando. The squad tactics were awesome. Too bad the game has a awesome/horrible cliffhanger that won't ever be completed, from the look of things.

If the price is right, I *might* buy it.

Read the RepCom books.. at least the first was very well written, and interesting. I really should pickup the others.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Republic_Commando_series

Quasar

I'm pretty happy. And to see Loom getting released, as that always was a favourite of mine. Though disappointed to see X-wing miss out in favour of some other Star Wars games.

Its interesting, I imagined of we ever saw the LucasArts adventures rereleased it would be in a Treasures of Infocom style collection not individually like this.

One curiousity though is the fact that I played most of my LucasArts adventures on the Amiga. So I'm wondering which games had better PC versions.

I updated the OP with a more informative listing of the games with relevant links for each.

Pricing will be updated when available. It sounds like they'll be creating at least one bundle.

Recent Twitter posting:

"Now (sic) word on pricing yet - still working out where to price the bundles (CHEAP!), so saying now would be premature. You'll know Wed, though!" (Twitter link)

Minsc

Gold Member
epmode said:
Ugh, the talkie Loom. For anyone interested in that one, the CD version is actually gimped when compared to the original release. Yes, it has voice acting and redone graphics. It's also missing a decent chunk of the regular game's dialog. The best version is actually the text-only FM-Towns port, which has all the rad new art but isn't cut short due to uncompressed audio filling the entire CD.
The DOS CD-ROM version has retouched graphics, greatly shortened dialogue, and lacks a number of features found in the floppy version, such as alternate solutions to puzzles. The game is also missing close-ups during dialogues; however, these portraits are present in the game's resource file.[4] According to the designers, the dialogue was edited for lack of space—a single CD-ROM can only hold about 74 minutes of uncompressed audio data.

Well they're obviously not going to release it with redbook audio for the voice tracks, it'll probably be compressed down to 22 kb/s mono audio that takes up a whole 10 megs for all the 700 megs the CD used up in audio. So maybe they can scrap together another 10 or 15 megs of voice acting and fill in all the cut dialog.

alistairw

BluWacky said:
I've only played the PS2 version, and it's fine. The minigames are very repetitive (it wasn't helped by the long load times which shouldn't be a problem on the PC) but it's fun enough. If you liked Theme Park World/Inc more than Rollercoaster Tycoon you'll be in your element (and I definitely fall into the former category).

To be honest, I haven't played Theme Park since the SNES version, though I was addicted to Rollercoaster Tycoon pretty badly in the late 90s. So as long as it compares at least vaguely favourably to those two, it's a done thing. Fun enough is generally all I need to assure a purchase on Steam. Internet money isn't real money, kids!

Great news as I've never played the talkie version of Loom and my cd of the Dig is scratched something fierce. Keep dem adventures coming! X-Wing/Tie Fighter next!!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
alistairw said:
To be honest, I haven't played Theme Park since the SNES version, though I was addicted to Rollercoaster Tycoon pretty badly in the late 90s. So as long as it compares at least vaguely favourably to those two, it's a done thing. Fun enough is generally all I need to assure a purchase on Steam. Internet money isn't real money, kids!
I'm pretty sure Thrillville's done by the same dev team as the Rollercoaster Tycoon games.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Monkey Island!!! Monkey ISLAND! MONKEY ISLAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

alistairw

pilonv1, I will join your cutting crew.

XiaNaphryz said:
I'm pretty sure Thrillville's done by the same dev team as the Rollercoaster Tycoon games.

You know, I swear I interviewed someone from the dev team around the time of the game's release, but it was only about what music they were listening to/books they were reading/movies they were watching, so I really don't remember. If true, that's pretty awesome. I'll probably buy it - just depends on the price.

legend166

pilonv1 said:
I will fucking cut someone if it's not worldwide

I will join in the cutting, good sir.

Are they listed as coming soon on the US Steam page? Because they're not for me in Australia D:

legend166 said:
Are they listed as coming soon on the US Steam page? Because they're not for me in Australia D:

Nothing on the US Steam page yet, so save up your rage for a little while longer. I have to admit that I'm a little ignorant on what Steam withdraws from other markets. Do you guys miss out on many Steam titles available elsewhere?

Minsc

Gold Member
BobsRevenge said:
Put them on GOG.com.

KILLS Steam for this sort of thing.

GOG would have gone all out for this, soundtracks, PDF walkthrough guides, artwork, wallpapers, interviews, etc. They would have been nuts over these titles and it's really their bag much more than steam's, but it's nice to have them available anywhere! And steam's probably better than a lot of other places, so I really can't complain much.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Minsc said:
GOG would have gone all out for this, soundtracks, PDF walkthrough guides, artwork, wallpapers, interviews, etc. They would have been nuts over these titles and it's really their bag much more than steam's, but it's nice to have them available anywhere! And steam's probably better than a lot of other places, so I really can't complain much.
Yeah, I'm not complaining, but GOG deserves this action so much more than Steam does.

Oh well. At least its out there.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've yet to play Indy and the Last Crusade.

I'll definitely pick that up, and the FOA.

Honestly, it will be nice to legally own these games (as it was all but impossible to for me as Australian, before).

legend166

letsbereasonable said:
Nothing on the US Steam page yet, so save up your rage for a little while longer. I have to admit that I'm a little ignorant on what Steam withdraws from other markets. Do you guys miss out on many Steam titles available elsewhere?

It's much better now than it was previously, but it's still not perfect.

We can't get the old GTA games, despite having GTA4. We can get Civilization IV: Warlords, but not the original game or any other expansions. There's more, but I can't be bothered to figure it out.

Regional pricing is still in place, too.

Can't wait for more games to arrive. Like the rest of the adventure games, the Monkey Island remake, and fucking X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter. Oh my god, I will rebuy that game no questions asked. And make it online-enabled... arg want it now.

alistairw

RPGCrazied said:
so why not remake them like monkey island is getting? The dig would look so awesome with hd backgrounds/movies

Because it costs money? Strange question.

Twig

Banned
I was hoping to see more classics, but I am not disappointed by any stretch of the imagination. Well, maybe a little. I would've preferred GOG.com. A lot. Okay. Maybe a lot.

BUT AT LEAST SOMETHING'S HAPPENING.

Now for Sierra classics. )':
FoneBone said:
I don't see this anywhere... Telltale has yet to put any of their series on Steam prior to their completion, and I doubt it'll change with ToMI.
Somebody hasn't been following Telltale that closely.

Top Bottom