• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official LucasArts on Steam thread of point-and-click and womp rats

BluWacky

Dependent on price, as I only ever had the floppy versions the two Indys and Loom are probably bought.

I might even buy The Dig just because it's my favourite of the lot of them, even though I have my copy safe on the bookshelves behind me.

Finally, is all I have to say.

CiSTM

Banned
Minsc said:
Can't wait for some of the better LucasArts titles to surface. Ebay/Amazon scalpers are screwed!

Wonder what pricing will be like?

You can't get your bix boxe through steam :) so the scalpers will be just fine. No need worry for them.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Fucking A. Steam climbs ever closer to god-like status, cant' wait to see what LucasArts has planned for further on down the pipe.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It's hard to get excited about this when you could play all their P&C games legally on just about any open platform for many years now, and perfectly conveniently at that, using SCUMMVM (not to mention with no DRM strings of any kind attached).

If at least they made them available for XBLA, PSN, Iphone, it would be something. On a positive side, there's a hint from a LucasArts spokesman that they would in fact bring these to Iphone.

Evlar

Banned
Lord Error said:
It's hard to get excited about this when you could play all their P&C games legally on just about any open platform for many years now, and perfectly conveniently at that, using SCUMMVM (not to mention with no DRM strings of any kind attached).

If at least they made them available for XBLA, PSN, Iphone, it would be something. On a positive side, there's a hint from a LucasArts spokesman that they would in fact bring these to Iphone.
The problem has been purchasing a retail copy of these games in order to play them oh-so-legally on SCUMMVM.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Lord Error said:

If by hint you mean he basically confirmed it without actually confirming it, then yes. Anyway, I am hoping for the likes of Blazeball and Rescue on Fractlus to be remade.

This is freaking awesome. Its just going to be tempting to pick up the titles individually rather than wait for the package. Hopefully the first release of the 10 on Wed will have a packaged option.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
firehawk12 said:
Wow... where's KoTOR?

I guess they're broken on Vista so they don't want to release them?

Possibly a second wave title, and if you want to talk about broken games, well, Star Wars: Starfighter is there.

Tendo

Hopefully Republic Commando will finally work on modern graphics cards...I've been waiting for almost 3 years since I got an 8800 to replay it. I now have a GTX260 and still no dice turning on bumpmapping. Without it...ew...just ew.

eXistor

Well, I'll be getting the Dig for sure, but I bought the rest when they originally came out (the ones I care about that is), so it's not a big deal for me. I hope this is a taste of things to come though, so if these sell well, who knows what we'll get in the future.

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Evlar said:
The problem has been purchasing a retail copy of these games in order to play them oh-so-legally on SCUMMVM.

Someone brought up evil eBay/Amazon scalpers, but you can get most of the point n' click games pretty cheaply - all under $20 - if you know where you look. Heck, most of them can be found for less than $10, as long as you aren't fussy about packaging. It's not like these were uber-expensive or anything.

Mrbob

Hot...Grim Fandango and Full Throttle soon plz thx LucasArts. :D

Steam is becoming the best thing in all of gaming from the past decade.

Google

If they're $10, I'll bite...again.

Or I might just wait around for the obvious Lucasarts Megapack which will probably save us all a bunch of money!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Google said:
If they're $10, I'll bite...again.

Or I might just wait around for the obvious Lucasarts Megapack which will probably save us all a bunch of money!

Yea, that is the sort of thing I would go in for as well.

discoalucard said:
Someone brought up evil eBay/Amazon scalpers, but you can get most of the point n' click games pretty cheaply - all under $20 - if you know where you look. Heck, most of them can be found for less than $10, as long as you aren't fussy about packaging. It's not like these were uber-expensive or anything.

The problem with buying used, as with anything used, is the condition of the media the games are on. Many of my floppy games no longer work due to the age and wear and tear of the disks. Luckily I backed them up before things went bad. At least with digital distribution you are not taking that chance.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Evlar said:
I bought bunch of them on ebay couple of years ago for dirt cheap, but it's a good point.

Mrbob

So no info on Tales of Monkey Island for steam it seems....this is cutting it close. One more day for the telltale preorder sale...not sure which way to go yet. :lol

dani_dc

Very nice news, plus no need to buy the Wii Indiana Jones for Fate of Atlantis now :lol

I didn't realize The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition was coming so soon either.
Can't wait to pick that one up.

Grayman

i already own Fate and the Digg so I will wait for round 2, unless the last crusade is awesome.

the games likely come packed with scummvm to support modern hardware.

careksims

Awesome news. Definitely gonna get Battlefront 2 and Republic Commando :D. Though I want for the X-Wing and Tie Fighter series too!

The return of the Adventure game! It'll be nice to finally have a retail copy of The Dig where I don't need SCUMM.

Angels we have heard on high...

This is great news and can't wait for round 2. This needs to happen more often!

gokieks

I actually was just wanting to re-play KotOR but couldn't find my CDs and pondered buying another copy. If it comes to Steam soon, I'll definitely get it on there.

And seconding the motion that the entire Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series should be on there.

Im so disappointed this is only on pc. These game scream portability. I would give anything to be playing The Dig, Full Throttle, and Maniac Mansion on a iphone, ds, or psp.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
BruceLeeRoy said:
Im so disappointed this is only on pc. These game scream portability. I would give anything to be playing The Dig, Full Throttle, and Maniac Mansion on a iphone, ds, or psp.
From the Joy of stiq article covering the Steam announcement:
When asked about the possibility of portable ports, notably the iPhone or PSP Go, Rodriguez noted, "On iPhone, you know Apple's policy that we can't talk about a release until it's ready to release. But it would make sense that we would do something like that if we were to go in that direction ... wink wink, nod, nod." As for PSP Go, he told us, "We've seen it and we're definitely investigating PSP Go. We've got our Singapore office, which does the majority of our handheld titles, and they're playing with it right now, seeing what we can do."

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
BruceLeeRoy said:

It isnt over yet.
We spoke with LucasArts CEO Darrell Rodriguez, who told us that this is "a passion project" for him as well as his team. "This is the first time these titles have ever been on digital distribution, and it's something we're all very excited about," he told us this morning. "And this is just the beginning."

When asked about the possibility of portable ports, notably the iPhone or PSP Go, Rodriguez noted, "On iPhone, you know Apple's policy that we can't talk about a release until it's ready to release. But it would make sense that we would do something like that if we were to go in that direction ... wink wink, nod, nod."

Even though I have completed most of LucasArts' point'n'click -games half-a-dozen times through ScummVM, I will buy them off of steam just to show my love towards the classics. :) And yes, I will probably play them through again. <3

What do you guys think the chances are that the original X-Wing or TIE Fighter will ever hit Steam like these other games? I own X-Wing and it's still one of my favorite games of all time, but I'm worried that the average gamer won't be able to adjust to the early 3D graphics.

Also, I bought TIE Fighter hoping to play it and listen to the cool midi music, but despite my careful selection of the game, I got the one with the orchestrated movie soundtrack... :( I hope if these games ever come out, they have the original midi soundtracks.

Something tells me XvT or XWA would be more likely, though. Which wouldn't be too shabby if they put up some new multiplayer servers!

Zzoram

LEGO Indiana Jones is the worst of the LEGO movie license games isn't it? Why no LEGO Star Wars Complete Saga?

discoalucard

i am a butthurt babby that can only drool in wonder at shiney objects
Eaten By A Grue said:
The problem with buying used, as with anything used, is the condition of the media the games are on. Many of my floppy games no longer work due to the age and wear and tear of the disks. Luckily I backed them up before things went bad. At least with digital distribution you are not taking that chance.

You have a point - I don't even have a 3.5 disk drive on my current computer. But all of them except for Zak McKraken, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, and Monkey Island 2 were released on CD, so they're still easily playable. And even Monkey Island 2 can be found on compilation CDs (although I think those are pretty pricey.)

Varna

Andronicus said:
Jedi Outcast....i lost my CD

Hell yeah.

Hopefully they will put up all the Dark Forces, Jedi Knight games up. I will buy them all even if I do still have some of them.

Zzoram

I'm guessing that they are staggering their Steam releases to give people's wallets a chance to pick up as many games as possible.

I wonder if they'll do a "Lucas Arts Everything Pack" when it's all done?

Mrbob said:
So no info on Tales of Monkey Island for steam it seems....this is cutting it close. One more day for the telltale preorder sale...not sure which way to go yet. :lol
I'm holding out to see if ToMI appears on Steam as well. I don't think it is a matter of "if" it appears on Steam, but a matter of "when".

Lucas Arts Twitter said:
Loom version is the 256 color with full Talkie. Same with Fate of Atlantis and The Dig. It'll be nice to take hold of Bobbin again.
Hell yes! 256 colors, I don't know if I can take that many colors!

Top Bottom