• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart DS topic!

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
fallout said:
Also, I'd just like to say to anyone who is crazy enough to try doing something like this ... no matter how well you plan it, no matter how cooperative and patient your participants are (ours kicked ass), it will be hell thanks to Nintendo's broken online.

Normally, I don't call it broken. I usually just say that it's limited. However, we worked past the limited problem by coordinating people in specific chat rooms and making sure they only had each others friend codes (for the most part). Even with that, connection troubles absolutely plagued us all afternoon. We spent more time fighting with WFC than we raced. A simple lobby system would have solved this completely. Hell, they did it with AC..

Hmm... this doesn't bode well for my plans. I suppose my idea of having 1 "judge" with locks on 3 "players", each player locking JUST the "judge" doesn't work, eh?

Good to hear you guys did well, though... now if you could just get whoever is in charge of those e3 DVDs to actually MAIL ME ONE, then you'd be complete. It's been nearly 3 years now... and 5 different GAF mentions.... and 6 different e-mails from N-Philes staff saying "IT'S SHIPPING SOON"....and the private messages....

(Mentally questions his reasoning 3 years ago when he opted to help out the small site by paying for an e3 video set.)

4th out of 32.. i guess its not bad.. got some free stuff and Im satisfied..

Today though fked up my record hardcore thanks to having to purposely disconnect in alot of games.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
fallout said:
Also, I'd just like to say to anyone who is crazy enough to try doing something like this ... no matter how well you plan it, no matter how cooperative and patient your participants are (ours kicked ass), it will be hell thanks to Nintendo's broken online.

I tend to agree, even when I see friends searching at the same time as me, they don't tend to connect. I think I have played a total of 2 gaffers, thats the only people on my friends list which is about 30 or so long I think.

Really bad implementation, but the game is so fun that I put up with it.

Wonder if nintendo is looking for ways to improve it from the backend, they should be.

fallout

DavidDayton said:
Hmm... this doesn't bode well for my plans. I suppose my idea of having 1 "judge" with locks on 3 "players", each player locking JUST the "judge" doesn't work, eh?
Yeah, I'm not even sure if the locks help that much. As catfish mentioned (and as we showed plenty of times yesterday), you can have 4 people with friend codes, locked, and nobody else online. Then, tell them to search at the same time, and it still may not work. We found a couple fixes ... like making one person who's having trouble search first, then have another person search and once they're connected, do the last two. It wasn't always successful, but we were happy for the times that it did. Also, 1v1 matches are easier to get connected, though they're rather boring, as we all know.

We originally wanted to go the judge route, but decided against it. Having four people confirm the results seemed to work well and for the most part, wasn't even necessary. Nobody lied, nobody bitched. If someone did do something that we had laid down in the rules as being "illegal", it was all dealt with in a civil manner. Hell, it only happened twice, I think. And both times were complete accidents.

Ninja Dom

The colour of peoples names when playing online indicate what region they come from.

BLUE NAME = America

GREEN NAME = Europe

RED NAME = Asia

Interesting!!

Swordian

biodegradablebean said:
Anybody want a game?

Gunstar

I would, if my DS would start connecting to friends again. I can't even get past chaarcter select for worldwide matches. Stupid useless USB adaptor...

YuChai

just played several online games.
In one of the game (4 players), I matched with a 3-stars guys, really fast. all the matches only get 2nd place.
however, the guy use snaking all the time. very frustrate.

bigNman

Last night I got matched with 3 guys who all had a positive win loss record. (mine is 280 to 35) So before the race started I thought to myself "I wonder which one will be a snaker?". Delfino was the first track and from the word go all 3 of them snaked! I would have beat the cheats if I hadnt fallen off the track after taking the shortcut and then on sky garden I fell off whilst winning caus i got hit by lightening taking a jump. Came 3rd overall but it was no fun at all and I couldnt beleive they snaked all around choco mountain too. One was japanese too so its a wordwide problem.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
A funny thing happened today while I was racing 3 other people, my door bell rang during the last race. I walk downstairs while playing and open the door and nobody is there so I close the door again (at this time I'm last by a lot in Cheep Cheep Beach). The bell rings again so I open the door and yell "what?" and it scared the shit out of the person. The funny thing is that it was my Federal Member of Parliament campaigning door to door. I apologized and explained to him that I was playing online and couldn't pause the game so he asked if he could have a sign put up on my lawn and I told him he'd have to ask my father (who wasn't home at the time). He then asked if I was of voting age and I replied I was and that I voted for him last time (a lie) and that I'd be voting for him again this time (another lie). He then replied that he hoped I would win my race and that I could help him win re-election.

BTW, I ended up winning the race and getting first overall. :)

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
how do the stars work? as in when you match a person with 3 stars or 2 stars etc. how do you earn a star? I'm sure it's win/loss ratio or whatever, but what is the ratio?

Fuzzy

catfish said:
how do the stars work? as in when you match a person with 3 stars or 2 stars etc. how do you earn a star? I'm sure it's win/loss ratio or whatever, but what is the ratio?
For one star you need to have at least one star in each Grand Prix in each class (32 in total). The same goes for 2 or 3 stars. I'm up to 2 stars.

JavyOO7

Name: Javy OO7
Mario Kart DS: 073074 585953

New friend code I have, the one in the Frost site was an old one. I deleted my game data by accident... I'm such a lamer. An even bigger one since I did'nt realize I had a new friend code until today. Aye. Oh well.

Fuzzy

Something strange just happened. I just raced against 2 other people and one guy dropped after coming 3rd in each of the first two races (I came in 2nd in each of those races). In the 3rd and 4th race I came in first so I ended up winnging 34-30 but the other guy disconnected right after the points were awarded for the last race. The strange thing was that before the race I had a record of 55-13, after the race my record changed to 57-11. :lol

tt_deeb

I'm sure this has been said dozens and dozens of times. But I FUCKING HATE when people disconnect when they come in last on the first race. I'm never awarded any points because people are always disconnecting. If I'm losing greatly I still wait 'till the end and take the losses.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Fuzzy said:
For one star you need to have at least one star in each Grand Prix in each class (32 in total). The same goes for 2 or 3 stars. I'm up to 2 stars.

:O

oh my fuck I have to play 50cc again :(

also I just noticed that online is only 100cc, thats to family friendly damnit. make it 150 nintendo you dummies.

Fuzzy

tt_deeb said:
Do you both need the friend code in order to play against each other (like in AC?).

Also, what is "Rivals"?
Yes you both need to have each others friend code registered in order to play against each other which is why you should PM people when you add them or else they may not know to add you.

Rivals is supposed to match you against people of a similar skill level as your own but I don't know if it's done by your win/loss record or by your star level.

Memles

Thanks to a merry Christmas, I've now got my WiFi Adapter and MKDS all set up to go. Sadly, Worldwide and Rivals...and Regional have all turned up absolutely nothing for me. I was worried I would be too late for this bandwagon, and it appears the world agrees. (Actually, just got a 1 on 1 matchup. Which was good until he disconnected after losing the first two races. It's not my fault he can't keep up, dangit.)

Anyways.

Memles
399494 070859

PM me if you add me! I need to wash the taste of the dropper out of my mouth.

Well today I had my new nintendo wifi dongle arrive in the mail and so far it has not been the 'simple' task I was told it would be.

I am useing my brother's computer while mine is yet to be set back up again (been moving) so I installed the wifi usb connector on his win xp computer and at first when trying wifi I got full signal strength but then the internet connection test seemed to time out with a 52203 error so I checked any firewalls and disabled them to try and test if that was it since internet was fine but that did nothing to help and I even disabled the router in built firewall, nothing worked and I was still getting a 52203 error.

I have re-installed it twice now and have randomly been getting 52003 errors amongst the 52203 ones so I am not sure where it is going wrong, maybe some one has some simple steps to just fix it, I have played around with the connection settings on this computer and still nothing.

The lack of documentation about the finer details on ports used and such for the service is realy frustrating.

I hope I am not just getting dumber.

Fuzzy

poppin fresh said:
The lack of documentation about the finer details on ports used and such for the service is realy frustrating.
Required network protocols, ports and addresses for networks to be compatible with Nintendo DS Wii-Fi capability and the USB AP adapter.

TCP: Allow traffic to all destinations on ports: 28910,29900,29901, and 29920
UDP: Allow all traffic to all destinations. (Necessary for peer-to-peer connections and game play)
http://www.nintendowifi.com/consumerservice/showTopic.do?topicId=Firewall_Help&catId=Connecting_Home

You can enter the error codes at http://www.nintendowifi.com/customersupport/troubleshoot.do and it'll give you some steps to follow. You can also check their forums for help.

Heh well I picked this up at 9 am.. Just played about 15 hours of it... :lol
Anyones, offline is cool, I'm just unlocking stuff and I actually find mission mode fun too.
I fucking hate nintendo's online setup up, only they could figure out a match making setup this fing stupid. I could have hired some retarded kid from a public school with downs syndrome and still have a better way to join and make games, also to play with buddies.

In another note, I played with my friend gprime for about an hour and a half and it was a blast playing with someone I know. Played strangers sucks most of the time since they disconnect when they're losing or they just snake through the tracks.

Down with snakers. I know it's more of an exploit than a cheat, I can do it myself, it's simple but it just ruins the feel and fun of mario kart. I hate idiots who join a game, have no real skill so they just snake the entire course which always causes them to win..

Well screw you snakers, I don't care about my rank since I'm just playing for fun and I will annoy you every time. Once I see you're snaking I'm gonna play along all the way to the 4th track and then disconnect on your ass. I'll get a lost added to my rank but I don't care, you won't get a win added to yours and you wasted your time =)

Udde

Don't know if it has been posted, but... japanese official banners for teh win :lol

banner_mariokart.jpg

main_alt.jpg

ad

http://216.239.37.104/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&langpair=ja%7Cen&u=http://touch-ds.jp/mfs/mariokart/index.html&prev=/language_tools

Quick Question and this thread is too long to read all of it:

I've been finally playing online and I've won some races (>8) vs. about 15 losses yet my record is listed at 0 and 6. How the hell does network award wins and losses?

Add moi, my friend code is

and I'm pretty bad. I can't snake and don't play enough to know all the lines on the courses. So...free wins for you.

Fuzzy

reggieandTFE said:
Quick Question and this thread is too long to read all of it:

I've been finally playing online and I've won some races (>8) vs. about 15 losses yet my record is listed at 0 and 6. How the hell does network award wins and losses?
You get a win for each player you finish ahead of at the end of the four races and a loss for each player you finish behind at the end of the four races. If you're tied with someone at the end then you don't get a win or a loss against them but all the other rules apply. If you're racing against 2 or 3 other people and 1 or 2 of them disconnect before the end of the fourth race but you and another player don't then you get wins for the people who disconnected (and another win or loss depending how you and the other person finished). If you're racing against 1-3 other people and they all disconnect then you don't get any wins. If you're racing against other people and you disconnect then you get a loss. I don't know if you get more than one loss if you're racing against more than one other person since I've never disconnected.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
ok, my record was 98/40

then i played 3 people who all took yoshi in the egg, then 1 dropped at race 1, then 1 at race 2, then I threw the 3rd race to conn the last one into not dropping (left him with a chance to beat me on the final race and take the trophy) I beat him in the final and he disconnects, but after I cross the line so I see the trophy screen. My record after this was

101/37

seems I got 3 wins and it subtracted 3 of my losses? Not that I'm complaining but WTF

Fuzzy

catfish said:
ok, my record was 98/40

then i played 3 people who all took yoshi in the egg, then 1 dropped at race 1, then 1 at race 2, then I threw the 3rd race to conn the last one into not dropping (left him with a chance to beat me on the final race and take the trophy) I beat him in the final and he disconnects, but after I cross the line so I see the trophy screen. My record after this was

101/37

seems I got 3 wins and it subtracted 3 of my losses? Not that I'm complaining but WTF
Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago (http://www.ga-forum.com/showpost.php?p=2467412&postcount=4222), apparently it's a known glitch.

DDayton

Ok... I think I am starting to see the anger expressed towards snaking... it was unbelievable how far ahead that little twerp got on Figure 8. I expect snakers to take Figure 8, so I always vote for something else...

It's when they started snaking all over SNES Mario Circuit 1 that I was saddened. That's been my reserve course -- most online gamers seem to stink at it, between the single set of powerups and the "lack" of snaking ability... but I guess I'm wrong. Sniffle.

meppi

DavidDayton said:
It's when they started snaking all over SNES Mario Circuit 1 that I was saddened. That's been my reserve course -- most online gamers seem to stink at it, between the single set of powerups and the "lack" of snaking ability... but I guess I'm wrong. Sniffle.

I love playing Mario Circuit 1, but whenever I play it online no one ever seems to catch up on me.
It's obviously that they simply are either extremely bad on this particular track or that all the hours of practicing to beat the staff ghost are paying off. :)

Just to be on the safe side. Using the drift boost on every turn of this level, and sometimes twice in the final long left hand turn isn't considered snaking is it?
I'm only asking since I don't want to be an ass online without even realizing it. ;)

Oh, I'll post my friend code tomorrow when I clean out my list of people who never seem to play anyway, so I can add a bunch of you guys.

Fuzzy

meppi said:
Just to be on the safe side. Using the drift boost on every turn of this level, and sometimes twice in the final long left hand turn isn't considered snaking is it?
I'm only asking since I don't want to be an ass online without even realizing it. ;)
It's not snaking unless you also do it during the straight portions of the track.

I'd get on right now if my cousin's son wasn't here playing my GCN (he's using my original controller with the messed up c-stick, I won't let him use my wavebird) and I don't want him to see I have a DS or else he'll want to play it also (he's turning 4 in April). :)

DDayton

Cough. Anyone up for a match? If I'm on your friend list, log in....I can promise some... cough... unusual occurences... cough cough... is that a clock I hear, tick tocking?

Fuzzy

DavidDayton said:
Cough. Anyone up for a match? If I'm on your friend list, log in....I can promise some... cough... unusual occurences... cough cough... is that a clock I hear, tick tocking?
You disconnected? :(

DDayton

Fuzzy said:
You disconnected? :(

System was jostled and game popped out.

Trying to get back on... I'm having another one of those weird sessions where a "A FRIEND IS SEARCHING" is appearing, but I'm getting no connections.

Edit: Come on, Gazunta! You said you were going to be playing!

Fuzzy

Those tracks are fun online, too bad the more people playing the worse the chance of actually getting to play them. :(

Fuzzy said:
Same thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago (http://www.ga-forum.com/showpost.php?p=2467412&postcount=4222), apparently it's a known glitch.

This happened to me. I'm 16-16 right now, but the wins/loss count system is not very consistant.

For instance, I raced a friend yesterday, and we tied in two matches...meaning overall I won 4 matches and he won 4 matches. After we were done playing I checked my record...and I was still 16-16. Now, the previous day I got a tie, and my record improved by two wins. o_O

Piepz

Figure 8 Circuit is heaven for snakers. I like to do some snaking there too, but I'm not so good at it...
Anyone want to play sometime ?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Piepz said:
Figure 8 Circuit is heaven for snakers. I like to do some snaking there too, but I'm not so good at it...
Anyone want to play sometime ?

I'll play, I play all the time.

I'm pretty good at snaking now, in the sense that I can do it on figure 8 if I need to compete with other snakers, but i never initiate it. Just hit time trial offline if you need to learn it. Playing the staff ghosts will teach you the snaking mechanic. I never snake online unless someone else starts it, then it's on.

I always try and avoid figure 8 circuit, because a snaking match on that shit ass level leaves my hands wrecked. I always am the last to pick the level, so incase I ever see figure 8 I just vote for what someone else voted for to ensure it doesn't come up.

DK pass is easily my favourite level, it's snaker unfriendly and has a really good design. Although there is a pretty easy exploit on it that usually means the person in first half way round the first lap can usually get a snaking style lead without actually snaking.

Rawk Hawk

Hey I've picked this up, I'm like 12 wins and 13 loses or so online but on a 5-0 run on Rainbow Road. I might be able to play a little bit some time, as long as you don't snake, nothing worse than a cheating snaker.

Snaking is impossible, or I'm just a freaking tard. Now, whenever I use the powerslide to the left for instance, I get to close to the wall and I can't powerslide to the right! Bah.

I have only encountered one snaker, and I beat him quite easily, then we tied during the next session.

Top Bottom