• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Mario Kart DS topic!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Seems like no one's posted here in a while, but since I should get my wireless adapter in the next day or so:

AstroLad

I don't know if others playing has died off, but PM me if you add me and I'll add you since I'll be playing a bit over the next few weeks

allegate

and congrats on the 3-star Fuzzy. Remind me not to race you. :)

I went online today for the first time and it was great. It was the first time in a long time that I had real fun playing a videogame. I kicked these two persons butts too. Aand no one disconnected! One race was so close: last turn of Mario Speedway and I was in third with both of them directly in front of me. somehow they ran into each other and I sped past them ftw! so totally awesome.

I love enjoying my hobby.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
bune duggy said:
allegate

and congrats on the 3-star Fuzzy. Remind me not to race you. :)

I went online today for the first time and it was great. It was the first time in a long time that I had real fun playing a videogame. I kicked these two persons butts too. Aand no one disconnected! One race was so close: last turn of Mario Speedway and I was in third with both of them directly in front of me. somehow they ran into each other and I sped past them ftw! so totally awesome.

I love enjoying my hobby.

bune- Add me, I'm about to add you.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Man playing with a full set of non-snakers is ridiculous fun. It was three other guys and I and all the races were down to the wire. One guy left and the three of us went on to play four more really great cups together. The problem with snakers is that they just kill the most fun part of MK imo, bunches of people close together. I can snake and usually keep up but a) it kills my hand, and b) I usually wind up a tad bit behind the lead snaker since I only get to practice it when I do it in response to other snakers, but everyone gets widely dispersed all over the track basically since it's rare to have four people who all snake (not to mention a pain in the hand).

ant1532

Banned
hey me and my friend are playing right now on wifi, but we need two more people

anyone want to play one quick game?(gtg soon)

Friend Code: 369427-487221

friends "Friend Code:
399496-061460

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Tigerriot said:
Snakers have really ruined the online experience for me. Who enjoys playing without it?

well me,

sort of.

See it works like this. You get good at boosting, then you can pretty much boost on every corner, then you stick one in on a straight, then you race a snaker and you find you can keep up with him with the bullshit method, then you play non snakers and you can essentially win whenever you want, but you try not to snake, but you do it just enough to win, because if you can win, why would you choose to lose?

It's not so much the snakers that ruin the game, it's that nintendo programmed snaking into the game that made it flawed. That and the cart balance is completely destroyed because of it. When was the last time you played a snaker that didn't drive the tank or egg1 or toad car (not so much as egg1 and the tank, but still)

the game is broken and it's further broken, because when you learn to snake (and you will, unless you quit online first) then you will get in a race with 4 people (rare anyway, stupid matching) and then there will be 1 snaker and 2 non snakers, but you don't want to lose to the snaker cause hes a snaking bitch. But then from the point of view of the 2 non snakers, there is just 2 snaking bitches in the game.

I pretty much gave it up now, I did play one tonight though and got matched with 4 and 1 of the guys had a 444-80 record or something. I kept up with him sometimes and managed to get 2 races victory, the combination of me losing my 2 early and the droppers quitting after 2 races means I got more points and beat the guy. hahaha.

«þ»

Tigerriot said:
Snakers have really ruined the online experience for me. Who enjoys playing without it?

I used to find snaking somewhat unfair, but after spending a little time at it, I think i'm pretty good at it now. I had about a 190-190 record a few days ago, but now i've started "hardcore snaking" i'm 300-225.

What's the point of Mario Kart online (as it stands) without snaking?

The point of Mario Kart is to make each game as even as it can be - thats why lower places get good items and higher places get bananas. The game is an absolute blast in local multiplayer where there's plenty of trash talking around friends and a good time (I snaked with my friend once, I smashed him the first time I snaked but on the second race he got a blue shell and 6 red shells - consecutively...

...but on Wi-Fi there is no communication and it is merely a test of skill - you're not there to make friends, you're there to race and to increase your ranking. Without snaking, there is very little skill required. Every race would just be an equal race where luck ultimately will decide the winner in most cases thanks to the item system (assuming that they're equal at powersliding... which then leads to snaking)...

Pity there are no lobbies or communication, that would've made the game that much closer to perfection.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Just got the router set up, added friend code on demi's lovely friend code site on the 1st page of this thread. Send me a pm if you add me and I'll do the same.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
«þ» said:
you're there to race and to increase your ranking. Without snaking, there is very little skill required.

that's nonsense. Race the staff ghosts they barely snake and are very fast.

Snaking has negated 95% of the karts, which is a real shame IMO. I still enjoy it a bit, but wish it wasn't in there. I'm hoping the dslite has much better ergonomics so my hand won't get as sore from boosting. This game would have benifitted hugely from an analogue stick.

speedpop

Yeah I joined a few random games and the art of snaking is quite silly. Sure it might be another skill to add but it does nothing other than leaving the other karts in the dust and making the game not that much competitive.

I'd like to see what Nintendo do if any version of Mario Kart hits online again - what will they do to combat the ease of snaking, etc.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
speedpop said:
I'd like to see what Nintendo do if any version of Mario Kart hits online again - what will they do to combat the ease of snaking, etc.

considering that nintendo book that had scans floating around with concepts of the rev controller has diagrams of how to snake in mario kart, I'm not sure they will take it out for next round :(

speedpop

I played it last night in the wee hours of the morning, around 2-3am. Not a single snaker in sight when I kept joining worldwide games, was quite good. Some of the matches were awesome so I might have to try and do that again.

«þ»

catfish said:
that's nonsense. Race the staff ghosts they barely snake and are very fast.

Have we forgot the items?

Sure they are fast, but they are not affected by the item system which makes the game "fair" and without snaking, the game is basically even and the games will ultimately be decided by luck (with items).

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
«þ» said:
Have we forgot the items?

Sure they are fast, but they are not affected by the item system which makes the game "fair" and without snaking, the game is basically even and the games will ultimately be decided by luck (with items).

nah, I beat the tar out of new people without resorting to snaking. I'm not saying their won't be cheap wins as well, but you get those with even snaking as well. People still get blue/red shells etc.

Figure 8 Circuit needs to go away. I'm usually cool with people that snake, but some snot-nosed punks tend choose that same course over and over again. I swear, one lot of people today voted on F8C so we raced it three times in a row. Is this their idea of fun? Then one of the players finally voted on the same stage as me. And what do you know, when they could not resort to snaking, they sucked like I've never seen before.

The one thing I want in the next WiFi game is an option that lets me choose to never be matched up with whatever idiot I encounter in a game.

Valtox

C- Warrior said:
Anyway, I just got the game

my friend code is 360842446813

Cwarrior

anyone have some tips on how to play this game well?

the best way to learn the game mechanics is: do missions and beat ghost at time attack. the first will teach you some tecniques, the second is for the shortcuts.

hi. if you want, this is my code: 201926 011597
i've just added you.
i play a lot during week ends (now i'm online if you want to race).

SpiffyG

I'm going to start playing this game again and the worldwide wifi is pretty unbearable so I'm trying to add everyone who still plays.

Added:

valtox
Aft Dread Pressure
Jimbob
C-warrior

and of course
HomShaBom

Anyone want to play?

You might not want to play me if you're a consistent snaker. Not because I mind you, but because I wouldn't give you too much of a challenge. Haven't transfered my F-Zero mechanics over yet.

Valtox

Jimbob said:
Just added you two (Valtox and ADP), so have a look around for me when you're online.

My FC: 120318768000

Jimbob
just added you, sorry I didn't look this topic in a while ;)
SpiffyG tell me your code, so I can add you.

Walshey

only just found this thread, my friends code is 438155924589 im in Australia so might be on at different times to most of you but still feel free to ad me.

My wife plays online....think her name is 80s Grl or something like that

anyway, when I get home (at work) I'll have to get her do add all you guys

She fucking detests snakers too and think its ruins the experience. So if you fancy a non-snaking buddy, she'll happily oblige and she plays online alot :D

GG Hom

Wife had to go and run some errands, but she said thanks for the great game and hopes to play again soon. Maybe later today....

for everyone else, here's our info:

80's*GRL

thanks again

HomShaBom

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
GG Hom

Wife had to go and run some errands, but she said thanks for the great game and hopes to play again soon. Maybe later today....

for everyone else, here's our info:

80's*GRL

thanks again

Sure ^_^

Tarazet

I just got this game today. Don't plan on playing it online, but I have to say: what's the big deal with snaking? It took me all of 5 seconds to figure it out. Anyone who's played Ridge Racer would consider it second nature, and if anyone remembers Crash Team Racing - you could get speed boosts ONLY if you were "snaking"!!! Again, what is the big deal here? No-snaking matches would be like no-braking matches in Forza. It's a basic technique.

For those of us who have gotten their Lites just recently, how about we do some Mario Kartin'? Use demi's frostitution site, get all of our codes, and we'll think of something to do, probably tomorrow if you want. PM me if you're interested.

BrandNew said:
For those of us who have gotten their Lites just recently, how about we do some Mario Kartin'? Use demi's frostitution site, get all of our codes, and we'll think of something to do, probably tomorrow if you want. PM me if you're interested.

Sounds good. We need to make a thread setting up Mario Kart/Metroid Hunters/Tetris/etc games. We can use iirc or AIM to chat during/after matches.

SAU

My friend code is 000061 463980, add me if you want some rubber to burn. (I do not snake, and my stats are 31-6, if you want to know that stuff.)

I'm desperate after someone on my level, it's no fun winning against n00bs and snakers. :-(

My MarioKart skills have improved, while in Tetris, meh.. :(

I added my friend codes on Demi's list thing so, add me.
I could definately use more practice. :(

Rawk Hawk

I'm 43-41 and playing pretty often under the name "QuitSnakin." Getting tired of playing cheaters and such, and without voice or text chating no way to ball them out for their horrible cheating ways. If anyone is interested in playing sometime, send me a PM or post up, I'll probably go through and add some of the codes I spot on here as well. Mine is: 373724 253192.

Top Bottom