• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official MLB 2007 Playoffs Thread: Now With 100% Less Mets and Frankman!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToxicAdam

Comeback players of the year were announced.

NL : Dmitri Young
AL: Carlos Pena

Leaving the depressing confines of Detroit must inspire people (unless your name is Maroth).

Karakand

Sorry bubs. Not only is Manny a prima donna but he is also not:
-white
-terrible (OK, thoroughly average)
-capable of playing at least 8 positions

I'm also being nice and ignoring the whole dreads thing. Not even the Predators could make dreads gritty.

Also, against my better judgment I have created an Angels playoff rally avatar. Be afraid MLB, be afraid!

33wtnpx.jpg

I'm getting too old for this shit too, Danny Glover!

Karakand said:
Sorry bubs. Not only is Manny a prima donna but he is also not:
-white
-terrible (OK, thoroughly average)
-capable of playing at least 8 positions

I'm also being nice and ignoring the whole dreads thing. Not even the Predators could make dreads gritty.

Also, against my better judgment I have created an Angels playoff rally avatar. Be afraid MLB, be afraid!

http://i23.tinypic.com/33wtnpx.jpg

I'm getting too old for this shit too, Danny Glover!

Against my better judgment, I have decided to appropriate that avatar as well... :eek: ... maybe in a bit!

Indians vs Yankees- Indians in 5
Red Sox vs. Angels- Angels in 5

Cubs vs. Diamondbacks- Cubs in 4
Rockies vs. Phillies- Rockies in 5

Indians vs. Angels- Indians in 6
Cubs vs. Rockies- Rockies in 7

Indians vs. Rockies- Indians in 5

Go Tribe!!!

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
:lol nice thread title

Indians beat Yankees in 5
Angles in 5 over the Sox

Diamondbacks in 4 over the Cubs
Rockies beat the Phillies in 5

Angels in 6 over the Indians
Rockies in 7 over the Diamondbacks

Rockies win WS in 7 over the Angels

Triumph

Banned
Lots o' people picking the Rockies, Cubs or Injuns in here... it's funny, no one even wants to think about another Sawx or Yanquis WS victory other than their fans of course.

Enron

Banned
It's official:

JS called Andruw into his office today at noon and told him he was DONE as an Atlanta Brave.

I have only this to say to Andruw: Thank you for so many wonderfu.....hahahha just kidding.

Fuck you Andruw. You were supposed to be better than Vlad when you both came up. You were supposed to be power/speed. You decided you liked eating better, got fat, quit stealing bases and tried to be the next Babe Goddamned Ruth, swinging and pulling EVERYTHING. You should have hit .300 every year with that swing. But instead you underperformed and really only had Defense and power to hang your hat on when you should have been so much more.

FUCK YOU. You will not be missed. Enjoy your $$$$$ in New York, where one of those piece of shit teams will overpay your fat ass to screw yourself into the ground on every swing.

Windu

I guess i'm one of the few that was hoping he would stay, for less money of course. So who are the other free agent center fielders?

Enron

Banned
Windu said:
I guess i'm one of the few that was hoping he would stay, for less money of course. So who are the other free agent center fielders?

The one im hoping for is Aaron Rowand. Im pretty sure he's a FA, and wont cost the mint that Torii Hunter will command. Mike Cameron is out there too, if he's cheapish i wouldnt mind seeing him in CF. He's a good defender. Worthless with the bat, though.

I'd have wanted Andruw Jones on the Yankees, except I can't envision where he'd go in our OF.

Bobby Abreu is the PERFECT 3-hole hitter, and I like him in RF; if Andruw could play RF and Bobby could DH permanently, that'd be fine...except that takes the DH away from Posada (who will be resigned) and Matsui (who needs it to stay healthy). Moreover, what happens to Damon then?

Andruw Jones could play for the Mets, though. Trade Milledge to someone for pitching, put Andruw in RF.

Windu

captmcblack said:
I'd have wanted Andruw Jones on the Yankees, except I can't envision where he'd go in our OF.

Bobby Abreu is the PERFECT 3-hole hitter, and I like him in RF; if Andruw could play RF and Bobby could DH permanently, that'd be fine...except that takes the DH away from Posada (who will be resigned) and Matsui (who needs it to stay healthy). Moreover, what happens to Damon then?

Andruw Jones could play for the Mets, though. Trade Milledge to someone for pitching, put Andruw in RF.

Why would you want him in RF? He is the best Defensive CF in the majors.

I'm sad that Andruw is leaving (I'm actually sitting here in an AJ25 t-shirt), but I recognize that its best for the team in the long run. IMO, he's an "old" 30. The team he ends up with will have a huge, unloadable contract in 3 or 4 years.

Windu said:
Why would you want him in RF? He is the best Defensive CF in the majors.

I dunno if that's true anymore.
Rowand has to be up there in that count. Gary Matthews Jr. has to be up there, too. So does Beltran.

Would you move Beltran for Andruw Jones? I don't know if I'd do that. AJ in RF would be excellent, though. That infinite CF range and arm would translate well to RF, and his bat along with Beltran's would be terrifying in the NL.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
ATTN: Francona

WHY IN THE GODDAMN FUCK IS DOUG MIRABELLI ON THE ALDS ROSTER IF WAKEFIELD ISN'T ON THE ROSTER? DO WE REALLY NEED 3 CATCHERS IN THE ALDS?

Y2Kev said:
Mirabelli = bigbelli lol

I can't wait to see sean hennnnn on the roster

Please don't make me kill myself.

The ideal postseason roster:

Damon, Jeter, Abreu, Rodriguez, Matsui, Posada, Cano, Cabrera, Mientqwertyuiop

Bench: Molina, Giambi, Betemit, Duncan, Sardinha

Pitchers: Wang, Pettitte, Clemens, Mussina, Hughes
Relievers: Vizcaino, Chamberlain, Rivera, Farnsworth, Villone, and two of Ohlendorf, Veras, Ramirez or Britton (I'd probably take Ohlendorf and Veras; Ramirez is prone to the HR and Britton is redundant with Villone present).

Enron

Banned
captmcblack said:
I dunno if that's true anymore.
Rowand has to be up there in that count. Gary Matthews Jr. has to be up there, too. So does Beltran.

Would you move Beltran for Andruw Jones? I don't know if I'd do that. AJ in RF would be excellent, though. That infinite CF range and arm would translate well to RF, and his bat along with Beltran's would be terrifying in the NL.

Uh, no. It's still true. And if he went to the Mets, he'd push Beltran over.

And the only thing terrified by Andruw's bat would be the fans sitting down the left field line. And perhaps the batters box.

Dr. Strangelove said:
ATTN: Francona

WHY IN THE GODDAMN FUCK IS DOUG MIRABELLI ON THE ALDS ROSTER IF WAKEFIELD ISN'T ON THE ROSTER? DO WE REALLY NEED 3 CATCHERS IN THE ALDS?

Francona is an idiot:
The Red Sox instead will carry a third catcher, Kevin Cash, who played 12 games this season after being called up in mid-August. Francona said the move would give the Red Sox more flexibility to make substitutions, particularly speedy rookie outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury.

"We want Ellsbury to be able to impact games, if needed, and that can mean running for a number of different people," Francona said.

Put him in to run for people? Hes great in the field and batting nearly 100 points higher then half the damn outfield (cept for Manny). Red Sox are failing and we are a day away from the games...

_Angelus_

Banned
captmcblack said:

I don't think the Mets could find a uniform to fit his girth.
Plus if anything the Mets should be getting younger with Gomez and Martinez patrolling the outfied in a year or two. Milledge i dunno what to do with. He shows moments of greatness at times but with the other two guys coming up soon the outfield would be crowded. Maybe package him with Heilman for a pitcher in the last year of a contract,that can be had since its not too costly going after players who are due to be free agents anyways,then sign him to a 3-4 year deal. The biggest thing though,don't just spend and throw money at players we really don't need,slapping money into this won't solve the problem. Save that money spent on Jones and go after some relief pitching - give Pelfrey and Humber full time starting status as well. The last thing we need to do right now is shop with out checking book to fix the problems on this team.

Letting Glavine and El Duque go would be best in the long run. We'd be weaker with the pitching since the kids need time to develop but atleast they would pay off in the long run.
Plus they wouldn't fucking break down at the end of a season.

Eric WK

Rooting for: Sox, natch.
If they lose, I'm rooting for the Tribe in the AL or Phils or Cubs in the NL.

Predictions:

DS

Sox over Angels in 4
Tribe over Yanks in 5

Phils over Rockies in 4
Cubs over DBacks in 4

CS

Sox over Tribe in 6
Phils over Cubs in 7

WS

Sox over Phils in 6

mrWalrus

Banned
Gotta admit I'm a little confused. Coming into this thread I never imagined I'd see my Indians getting so much love.
I figured most everyone would have the yanks in 2.

Predictions:
-----------------
ALDS/NLDS
Cleveland vs NY
Angels vs Sox

DBacks vs Cubs
Phillies vs Rockies

ALCS/NLCS
Cleveland vs Sox
Phillies vs DBacks

World Series
Cleveland vs Phillies
-----------------

The year of second place finishes for NE Ohio fans continues and Cleveland cynics come out of the woodwork to say we should have never fired Charlie Manuel. :lol The loss opens up Dolan's checkbook and CC re-signs for 6 years $105 million. Hopefully it opens a tad bit further to get a corner OF bat too.

Can't wait for the post season to start.
Go Tribe!

Karakand

Bartofato and hGhM2 being left off the ALDS roster. More spots for grit says I!

SP – Lackey
SP – Escobar
SP – Weaver

1B – Kotchman
2B – Kendrick
3B – Izturis
SS – Cabrera
LF – Anderson
CF – Willits
RF – Figgins
C – Napoli
DH – Guerrero

BULLPEN
Closer – Rodriguez
Setup – Speier
Setup – Shields
Lefty1 – Oliver
Long Lefty – Saunders
Mop1 – Moseley
Mop2 – Santana

BENCH
C - Jeff Mathis
1B - Kendry Morales
OF - Juan Rivera
OF/PR - Nathan Haynes
IF/PH - Robb Quinlan
IF - Erick Aybar

Not sure if I like WTY in the starting rotation over Colonel Saunders (he finished the season eh but he was 2-0 against Beantown) but they're gonna lose in 2 anyways so who cares.

scottnak

Hm. Guess I need to find me a nice Angels avatar soon then.
Time to get crackin' after my midterm.

Got a nice bullpen to work with. This is gonna be fun.

Windu

what you really need is a animated gif of the Kid in Angles in the Outfield doing the "signal"

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
siamesedreamer said:
I'm sad that Andruw is leaving (I'm actually sitting here in an AJ25 t-shirt), but I recognize that its best for the team in the long run. IMO, he's an "old" 30. The team he ends up with will have a huge, unloadable contract in 3 or 4 years.

So was Frank Robinson.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
LeBron was asked who he would root for if the Indians and Yankees met in the playoffs (which, it appears they will do in the American League Division Series). LeBron's response: "Yankees."

He then went on to say he'd been a Yankees fan his whole life and we all just need to "deal with it." (Source)

Y'ALL NEED TO DEAL WITH IT

captmcblack said:
Please don't make me kill myself.

The ideal postseason roster:

Damon, Jeter, Abreu, Rodriguez, Matsui, Posada, Cano, Cabrera, Mientqwertyuiop

Bench: Molina, Giambi, Betemit, Duncan, Sardinha

Pitchers: Wang, Pettitte, Clemens, Mussina, Hughes
Relievers: Vizcaino, Chamberlain, Rivera, Farnsworth, Villone, and two of Ohlendorf, Veras, Ramirez or Britton (I'd probably take Ohlendorf and Veras; Ramirez is prone to the HR and Britton is redundant with Villone present).

No Bruney love?
PLEASE GOD NO

bluemax

Banned
Enron said:
The one im hoping for is Aaron Rowand. Im pretty sure he's a FA, and wont cost the mint that Torii Hunter will command. Mike Cameron is out there too, if he's cheapish i wouldnt mind seeing him in CF. He's a good defender. Worthless with the bat, though.

Cameron has had an OPS+ over 100 for most of his career, even in the years where he's played in offense suppressing parks. He's better than worthless.

captmcblack said:

Small sample size alert, Abreu was a better hitter in the #7 hole this season than he was in the #3 hole.

Enron

Banned
bluemax said:
Cameron has had an OPS+ over 100 for most of his career, even in the years where he's played in offense suppressing parks. He's better than worthless.

Not by much. He strikes out FAR too much, and hits for a paltry average every year. His career OPS+ is 107, which is basically average. All he'll do is hit 20 homers and get some steals. You aren't going after Mike Cameron for his offense, that's for sure.

ToxicAdam

siamesedreamer said:

Sounds like someone the Rangers would sign on. :lol

I wonder if the Red Sox take a chance on him and use Coco as trade bait? They are probably going to be gun shy because of JD Drew.

Triumph

Banned
Sweet! Scored the sticky!

Also, gotta say that I'm neither surprised nor broken up over the Andruw thing. Wish him the best, but it was time to move on IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom