• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2013 (MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, V8's etc)

Rossi back to Yamaha. Things will definitely be interesting in 2013.

Also looking forward to F1 and Indycar. I will try to go to the Long Beach Grand Prix and Leguna Seca since both are local!

WX3

NASCAR fan here and I am really pumped for this season mainly due to the new cars. Being a Mark Martin fan I hope for some wins like he pulled off with Hendrick his first year in the 5 car. Not going for the trophy at the end.of the year has me hoping he goes all out for the.victories!

FIA World Endurance Championship
jbpn5hByuwb4Nr.png

FIA GT Series

jRnJznMa0ll1Z.png

I'll be watching those two alongside WRC and F1. GT has gone through two restructurings in the last three years, which is pretty sad and they've cut the races down to only six for this season.

Dilly

Banned
Went to the GT1 race last year in Zolder, was very fun to see these things (and hear!) in real life. I hope I can go to the WEC too in Spa this year.

Good stuff that VW is doing good in WRC, another manufacturer with a good driver and thing can only improve. Are there any other manufacturers set to enter WRC?

Shaneus

Are there any other manufacturers set to enter WRC?
So who is there at the moment? From what I've gathered (and absolutely no research whatsoever) there's VW, Citroen... and Ford? I don't think Subaru, Mitsubishi or Toyota are involved, but that's only an uneducated guess.

Dilly

Banned
So who is there at the moment? From what I've gathered (and absolutely no research whatsoever) there's VW, Citroen... and Ford? I don't think Subaru, Mitsubishi or Toyota are involved, but that's only an uneducated guess.

That's about it, but Ford doesn't have a manufacturer team I think?

Pretty sure Hyundai are coming back, probably starting with a limited schedule and a full time debut next year or maybe the year after that. They weren't much cop last time though.

Edit: On further searching 2013 for Hyundai.

I hope they make a good car! They seem to be serious about it, so that's a good sign already.

Would love for Mitsubishi and Subaru to come back...

ashk

Ford pulled out as a manufacturer this year, so only private teams left.

Mini is in there as well, but also with no manufacturer support.

Shaneus

That's about it, but Ford doesn't have a manufacturer team I think?
Probably not. That's why I had the "?" in there. It's been that long since I've followed it, I honestly don't know who has their chips on the WRC table other than Citroen (and only because I've somewhat noticed that up until last year, Loeb was still dominating the fuck out of it).

Watevaman

Would this be the thread to post amateur drifting vids or do we already have a drifting thread somewhere? Season hasn't really started yet but it's coming in a month or so and I just ordered a Drift Ghost so I'll be able to get some nice vids hopefully.

Dilly

Banned
Ford pulled out as a manufacturer this year, so only private teams left.

Mini is in there as well, but also with no manufacturer support.

Ah right.

Probably not. That's why I had the "?" in there. It's been that long since I've followed it, I honestly don't know who has their chips on the WRC table other than Citroen (and only because I've somewhat noticed that up until last year, Loeb was still dominating the fuck out of it).

Yeah, this season is actually the first season I'm checking up on the news and watching the highlights and such, VW mixes the things up a little even though Loeb isn't doing all the rallies this year.

But seriously, why isn't this sport on television anymore?

Chris R

First race of the season in Nascar tonight... Should be interesting to see the cars on the track and in a pack. Duels later this week and then the Daytona 500 next Sunday.

Shaneus

But seriously, why isn't this sport on television anymore?
I don't know :( Even when they air the ARC here (Australian Rally Championship, I guess) even though the cars aren't up to WRC standard (and neither are the drivers, really) it's still incredible to watch.

Hopefully Red Bull adopting the series brings it back to the airwaves perhaps gains back some of the public mind share that it lost.

Vicious

Danica is the fastest car in practice #2 for the Daytona 500. Only driver to hit 196 and almost a full mph faster than 2nd.

Chris R

Danica is the fastest car in practice #2 for the Daytona 500. Only driver to hit 196 and almost a full mph faster than 2nd.

She might be fast, doesn't mean she won't crash out before the race is 2/3rds over. Daytona and 'Dega are such crap shoots.

B.K.

Anyone watching the ARCA race? The Daytona and Talladega ARCA races are always hilarious to watch because they're all such horrible drivers.

She might be fast, doesn't mean she won't crash out before the race is 2/3rds over. Daytona and 'Dega are such crap shoots.
Practice speeds don't really mean a thing at the restrictor plate tracks anyway.

That said, if she can qualify on the front row and doesn't need to race herself in, that'd be big.

Shaneus

I hope you talk about WRC not the rally sport in general? ;)
Oh, of course! I knew they did rally, but it was never on an international scale... I don't think. Or at least, they haven't done it for decades. I think they were around in the 80s with the Polo, weren't they?

Chris R

Anyone watching the ARCA race? The Daytona and Talladega ARCA races are always hilarious to watch because they're all such horrible drivers.

I didn't realize there was one until it was over :( I bet I could race in the ARCA series if I had the money :<

B.K.

I hope other drivers figure out this new car. I don't want another five or six years of Jimmie Johnson dominance and cheating.

B.K.

I wish DirecTV hadn't discontinued Hot Pass this season. It was nice being able to flip over to it during commercials.

Chris R

I wish DirecTV hadn't discontinued Hot Pass this season. It was nice being able to flip over to it during commercials.

Ah man thanks for reminding me :(

Just hope there aren't many races on ABC (still don't have HD ABC, they make it look like shit on my TV here)

Vicious

What makes it funnier is he's always the one at the beginning of the race saying how everyone needs to take it easy.

Man these guys should be ashamed of themselves for running single file for so long like that in a non-points race. Matt Kenseth wanted to race but no one else would pull out.

That last segment was boring. I hope the 150s and the 500 have better endings.
Not really sure what to think. The side-draft is going to be a big deal, and as long as the guys on the outside lane are using it in the corners I think we might have a very boring speedweeks.

I mean, apart from the inevitable crashes. Those will still be fun.

B.K.

I wonder if Budweiser will go with Harvick to Stewart-Hass next season or if the 3 will be sponsored by Budweiser next year.

Dave_6

^Can't wait for that series to start! The new Nissan and Merc look good IMO and the cars in this series sound GREAT.

Vid of the Nissan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A_Bll5AKl0 and short vid of the Mercedes firing up for the first time: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnZClLGQ3r0

The Sprint Shootout was boring as shit. I love the look of the Gen 6 (especially the Fords) so hopefully all the single file stuff was because they haven't figured out quite yet how to race these on the plate tracks.

B.K.

The Sprint Shootout was boring as shit. I love the look of the Gen 6 (especially the Fords) so hopefully all the single file stuff was because they haven't figured out quite yet how to race these on the plate tracks.

That was just restrictor plate racing. We won't be able to tell how they're really going to race until Phoenix in two weeks.

Arcticfox

Daytona has been Danica's best track since switching to Nascar. Now she has the best car for the track. The only way I see her not finishing in the top 5 is if she gets involved in a crash.

There is still a big question mark around whether she has improved at non-restrictor plate tracks or not. Even if she wins Daytona, I doubt she will challenge for a spot in the chase.

B.K.

We haven't even had the first race of the season yet and I'm already tired of hearing about Danica and Wrecky Stenhouse.

Top Bottom