• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2013 (MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, V8's etc)

Shaneus

Wow, didn't realize Mercedes joined V8 Supercars
They're not a works entry, though. I believe Nissan is, but the Mercedes entry is (I believe) entirely backed by this woman on the right:
378557-2012-v8-mercedes-announcement.jpg

From what I understand, Mercedes themselves have nothing to do with them in an official capacity, but they're providing assistance/support where they can as far as development goes.

Dead Man

They're not a works entry, though. I believe Nissan is, but the Mercedes entry is (I believe) entirely backed by this woman on the right:
378557-2012-v8-mercedes-announcement.jpg

From what I understand, Mercedes themselves have nothing to do with them in an official capacity, but they're providing assistance/support where they can as far as development goes.

Pretty much.

B.K.

AMBjI45.jpg

Today is the 12th anniversary of the death of Dale Earnhardt. It's hard to believe it's been that long and that we're just one year away from having the 3 back in the Cup Series.

vitacola

Oh, of course! I knew they did rally, but it was never on an international scale... I don't think. Or at least, they haven't done it for decades. I think they were around in the 80s with the Polo, weren't they?
I primarily thought of their appearance in Rally Dakar with the "Wüsten-Touareg", but you're right they were active in the 80s. It was a Golf GTI though. ;)

Anyone here following DTM? I'm kinda curious if somebody outside of Germany watches the races.

B.K.

I don't want the 3 back in the series, especially if it's going to be driven by that twit Austin Dillon.

It's all but confirmed that Dillion will be driving the 3 in Cup next season. Childress wanted to put him in it this season during his limited schedule, but Dillon told him he didn't want to drive the 3 until he's running the full schedule.

Shaneus

I primarily thought of their appearance in Rally Dakar with the "Wüsten-Touareg", but you're right they were active in the 80s. It was a Golf GTI though. ;)

Anyone here following DTM? I'm kinda curious if somebody outside of Germany watches the races.
Oh yeah, that too! Didn't even think of the Touareg.

I'd love to follow DTM, but I'm 99% sure it doesn't get any coverage here in Australia at all. When our ex-motorsport only channel only did motorsport, I believe we had it and I did watch it when I caught it, but Australia in general is fairly shithouse with trying to keep up with that stuff.

I can only hope we don't get shafted with the (likely) push to reinvigorate WRC.

Dilly

Banned

Was planning to start watching it this year.

These Modified drivers at Daytona are horrible. They just flipped one of the cars.

Haha theres been like 13 cautions and 2 red flags already and it's only a 60 mile race!

The guy that flipped over was strange though. He was on fire and upside down and all and managed to just crawl out like it was no big deal.

The K&N race coming on next probably won't be any better. The race last night was pretty bad too.

I still don't understand how that guy still got away with dumping the leader on the final straightaway. I mean they black flagged a car a couple times during the race for "aggressive driving", yet this intentional spin out was perfectly legal?

And yeah i won't be following these series anytime soon. I'm just watching it cause it's a crazy short track and theres nothing else on this early in the week :p

B.K.

70 laps of caution and counting in a 150 lap race. That's embarrassing.

Less than one lap of racing until ANOTHER caution....

B.K.

GAF should build a Modified car and get someone here to race it. We couldn't be any worse than these people.

70 laps of caution and counting in a 150 lap race. That's embarrassing.

Less than one lap of racing until ANOTHER caution....

And the announcers are constantly amazed that there are still 21 cars on the lead lap or whatever, but that's cause theres a lucky dog every 2 mins and theres not even green flag laps to get people lapped lol. The other cars that aren't on the lead lap probably wrecked themselves out.

LOL was that guy just throwing up?

Indeed! I noticed that too and was like why the fuck would somebody spit on themselves, but maybe it was puke.

So do they do green white checkereds in this league?

EDIT: LOL 1 more lap and another guy spins out to bring out yet another caution.

So I don't think I've seen a green flag run of more than 5 laps yet :p

What is the constant flashing thing by turn 1 of the racetrack?
It feels like it's a red light traffic intersection, flashing everytime they go by, but i'm genuinely curious what it actually is.

Dave Long

Banned
The mods usually put on a great show. That track is a joke. It's WAY too tight in the corners. They need to move the backstretch wall back about ten yards or more to make the corners less like a paperclip.

Go see them in the northeast and you'll almost always get a great race that looks nothing like that mess last night.

Shaneus

It's hard to call what happened last night a race. It took about three hours to go 150 laps on a 0.4 mile track.
Yellow flag extravaganza?

It may sound ignorant, but how does a race that's so relatively straightforward cause so many accidents? Is it just overtakes or are there plenty of car failures as well?

Talamius

I'll be surprised if Danica turns more than a couple laps today before parking the car. No sense throwing away a car capable of winning the 500.

Vicious

I wish there was more passing, but I love the different groups of cars all spread out. Reminds me of the older days.

Top Bottom