• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2013 (MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, V8's etc)

B.K.

I can't believe the driver of the 32 car just walked away from that.

This is one I can't believe the guy walked away from.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxtID4k3UBw

The cockpit was completely exposed. You can even see him before Sauter hits the car. He came really close to getting killed in that accident. Then he just stands up and walks away.

Another crash were the driver was incredibly lucky to survive is Michael Waltrip's Bristol crash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzxcuV5rmA4

moojito

Yeah, surely if everyone was ok they'd know by now and would be showing replays. On the other hand, if someone was hurt you'd see a lot more medical folk around there. Hard to say.

Greg

I just sat down to eat some lunch and turned the TV to ESPN just in time to catch that. Crazy.

I hope everyone is alright.

Replay seems to show that Larson (32) got spun and got lifted into the air when Brian Scott (2) hit him while both were in the middle of the wreck.

Mike Helton speaking now.

There's injuries, but no other news. Helton looks shaken as fuck, though. That's not good.

Just saw a photo of the wreck. Larson's car seems to have ripped apart in part because it went head-on into one of the catch fence posts.

B.K.

Mike Helton just confirmed that people are being taken to Halifax Medical Center.

@jeff_gluck
Security now clearing the pits, including all media. We have seen five people removed on backboards.

Mike Helton just confirmed that people are being taken to Halifax Medical Center.

@jeff_gluck
Security now clearing the pits, including all media. We have seen five people removed on backboards.

Probably clearing folks out to make sure medical workers can get the injured out of the stands to the infield care center as quickly as they can, if they need to.

EDIT: Nope, it's for medical helicopters.

B.K.

WZweVic.jpg

B.K.

Tom Bowles ‏@NASCARBowles
Hearing from #nascar official on condition of anonymity - 8-10 fans transported. No word on conditions.

Talked to Cup crew member that said two people -- critical condition. #nascar

Talking to fan that said he's seen eight stretchers so far being taken out of stands area. #nascar

At least six fans sustained injuries when parts of Kyle Larson's car flew into the stands at the conclusion of Saturday's Nationwide Series race at Daytona International Speedway.

A track worker told Yahoo! Sports that one woman had a tourniquet on her leg, others suffered burns and a tire landed on one fan when a multiple-car accident unfolded as drivers raced for the finish line in the final lap of the Drive4COPD 300.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nasca...e-race-kyle-larson-car-212750253--nascar.html

8-10 injured seems to be the consensus from a lot of reports right now.

Also, Michael Annett is reportedly awake now. I think he got the worst of it among the drivers in the crash and was the only one who wasn't interviewed after coming out of the infield care center.

NASCAR is shutting down videos on YouTube of the crash, apparently. Don't know if it means fatalities or if they're just being controlling about it.

Sounds like most of the injuries were from the tire.

moojito

NASCAR is shutting down videos on YouTube of the crash, apparently. Don't know if it means fatalities or if they're just being controlling about it.

Probably the latter. I saw a link to the Wheldon crash on the side of one of the videos linked earlier. Not nascar right enough, but I did also watch the Earnhardt vid just the other day as well.

B.K.

NASCAR on ESPN ‏@ESPNNASCAR
15 spectators transported to area hospitals; 1 on the way to surgery with head trauma; no further information at this time.

That doesn't sound good.

Good news, possibly: Some folks are tweeting that they talked to law enforcement, and the police said no fatalities at the track itself. Whether there's critical folks at the hospitals who could still pass, though, that's another story.

BK, I would not be surprised if that 1 with head trauma was the fan hit by the tire.

Do they mandate wheel tethers on these cars?

They do not.

Generally, these kind of incidents happen at two places due to the pack racing and speeds, which are Talladega and Daytona.

They put restrictor plates in after a similar crash with Bobby Allison in 1987 at Talladega.

Someone else brought this up, but engine tethers could be something they'll look at, too.

Not only because of this crash, but Elliot Sadler's Pocono crash a few years ago when the engine got flung out of the car.

B.K.

On Annett: #NASCAR Transported to hospital complaining of pain in chest and sternum. Treated for bruising on chest & underwent a CT Scan.

In the official replay of the second angle, you could see a tire colored object fly above the fence and hit behind the stands, which is exactly where the grandstand video placed it.

Seriously hoping nobody is killed after this. :c

Top Bottom