• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2013 (MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, V8's etc)

B.K.

I'm glad Newman won. He really needed a win. Hopefully it'll help convince someone to hire him for next season. I can't believe he didn't do better than he did at Stewart-Haas.

Chris R

Eldora was the best NASCAR race of the week.

It was. The heat races were great and the main event was nice as well. I thought it was going to be caution after caution but it turned into a very interesting event with multiple lines available and real passing occurring (never had a chance to see much dirt racing since it isn't on tv very often).

moojito

It was a bit boring, aye. The cars just got too spaced out. Is that the largest non restrictor track? It can't be far off if it's not.

Chris R

It was a bit boring, aye. The cars just got too spaced out. Is that the largest non restrictor track? It can't be far off if it's not.

It is along with Pocono.

edit: And the same thing happens with Pocono. There are just three different turns to try to keep things interesting, and a shit ton of real estate to make things fun on restarts. Kinda the reason why I don't like running Pocono twice back to back every year.

TJP

It's now official: Crutchlow to Ducati!

MotoGP™ ‏@MotoGP

Official: @calcrutchlow to join @DucatiMotor in 2014 on two-year deal. Announcement regarding his replacement to follow shortly

It's now official: Crutchlow to Ducati!

MotoGP™ ‏@MotoGP

Official: @calcrutchlow to join @DucatiMotor in 2014 on two-year deal. Announcement regarding his replacement to follow shortly

I know it a "factory" team but man the bikes just no good. He should have stayed with Herve's team and hopefully got Rossi's ride when he retires. I just hope he doesn't go the way of Dovi and Hayden, pretty much forgotten riders with heaps of talent.

Of course I don't know all the internal goings on and politics but from an outsiders perspective this seems like a bad move.

edit- As far as his replacement goes, I'm going to say Pol Espargaro, maybe when Brad Smiths contract is up, Scott Redding can hopefully get the other bike, someone who actually deserves to be in MotoGP.

caramac

So Cal decided to take the Ducati money and run, can't blame him for doing so whilst the sun is shining.

Also there's the slim chance he could make it work.

TJP

For the two wheeled fans who watch World Superbikes - Neil Hodgson recently stated both Aprilia and BMW are pulling out of WSBK next year. Anyone else heard this rumour?

Jezbollah

I know it a "factory" team but man the bikes just no good. He should have stayed with Herve's team and hopefully got Rossi's ride when he retires. I just hope he doesn't go the way of Dovi and Hayden, pretty much forgotten riders with heaps of talent.

Of course I don't know all the internal goings on and politics but from an outsiders perspective this seems like a bad move.

edit- As far as his replacement goes, I'm going to say Pol Espargaro, maybe when Brad Smiths contract is up, Scott Redding can hopefully get the other bike, someone who actually deserves to be in MotoGP.

Pol Espagaro to Cal's Tech 3 seat was done months ago.

The reason Crutchlow has gone to Ducati now is that HRC were putting a late bid in, and that Yamaha may have been looking to nudge Bradley Smith out to the Forward team (who are using Yamaha M1 engines and a derivative of the chassis next year) in an effort to keep CC.

Crutchlow to Ducati gives him the factory ride he craves, but Audi need to step up. Big pressure on Ducati, as Philip Morris' sponsorship expires at the end of the season - and as you can see by Yamaha's finances, not having full sponsorship even on factory teams hinders an entire MotoGP program.

TJP

I hope Casey comes back to MotoGP another 'alien' would spice up the racing even more:

44670_503318169736668_1523284442_n.jpg

According to HRC, Stoner did 6 laps at Motegi before bad weather stopped the test.

Pol Espagaro to Cal's Tech 3 seat was done months ago.

The reason Crutchlow has gone to Ducati now is that HRC were putting a late bid in, and that Yamaha may have been looking to nudge Bradley Smith out to the Forward team (who are using Yamaha M1 engines and a derivative of the chassis next year) in an effort to keep CC.

Crutchlow to Ducati gives him the factory ride he craves, but Audi need to step up. Big pressure on Ducati, as Philip Morris' sponsorship expires at the end of the season - and as you can see by Yamaha's finances, not having full sponsorship even on factory teams hinders an entire MotoGP program.

I didn't know that about Pol Espargoro, just figured Herve wouldn't mind a young Spanish rider. Good news if that's the case.

Also yeah I understand Cal always wanted a factory ride, no one can blame him for that but all us MotoGP fans know the Ducati is not a good bike. I hope things go well for him but I see him going the way of every other rider (except Stoner of course) that has signed with the team, which would be a shame because he has proven lately when he stays on the bike, he is as good as the top riders but on a slightly weaker machine.

I hope Casey comes back to MotoGP another 'alien' would spice up the racing even more:

According to HRC, Stoner did 6 laps at Motegi before bad weather stopped the test.

Oh man this would be awesome! MotoGP definitely lost something special when he retired. Although his "whiny" personality used to piss me off sometimes, no one can doubt his talent. I have said it before but it just doesn't look right seeing him in car racing, especially knowing the ability he still has riding bikes.

TJP

Oh man this would be awesome! MotoGP definitely lost something special when he retired. Although his "whiny" personality used to piss me off sometimes, no one can doubt his talent. I have said it before but it just doesn't look right seeing him in car racing, especially knowing the ability he still has riding bikes.
I'd be fu**ing whiny too if I was subjected to the same shit Stoner copped in the (mostly European) press prior to winning a world title for HRC. Cal Cruthlow largely agreed with what Stoner was saying in most recent times. Sadly for Stoner, he is not media friendly much like Doohan.

B.K.

Tony Stewart broke his right leg last night in a Sprint Car race. Max Papis is going to drive the 14 at Watkins Glen this weekend. Tony needs to quit racing those cars. He's been in three or four bad wrecks in the last couple months. He's going to end up like Jason Leffler.

B.K.

Greg Zipadelli discussing Tony Stewart's situation.

• There currently is no timeline for Stewart's recovery or return. They will know more after the second surgery is completed;
• The team will "absolutely" need a substitute driver for at least the next 2-3 races;
• They are talking to candidates to fill in, but don't have a timeline for an announcement; possibly in the next day or so;
• Zipadelli says that as many races as Tony runs the team is lucky that this is the first time they are having to deal with this issue;
• Stewart Haas will evaluate what races Stewart competes in going forward, but there will not necessarily be any changes.
• Stewart's sponsors: "They're all disappointed and we understand that."

http://www.jayski.com/cupnews.htm#20130807h

Tony's out of the Chase this year.

paskowitz

http://www.worldcarfans.com/1130808...a-turbocharged-v6-for-the-fia-world-endurance

Honda Performance Development (HPD) has announced plans to offer a new turbocharged V6 engine for LMP1 race cars beginning next year.

Designed to comply with ACO's (Automobile Club de l'Ouest) new regulations, the HR22T engine is based on the turbocharged 2.2-liter V6 from the IZOD IndyCar Series. Specifications were not released but Honda said the engine was designed to work with a new energy recovery system that was jointly-developed with Magneti Marelli.

According to HPD Vice President Steve Eriksen, "The new rules say that if you are a private team, you can either run without energy recovery systems or choose to add the level of energy recovery that best suits your needs. This will allow our customers to choose the ERS solution that meets their needs – everything from no energy recovery up to the full eight Megajoule maximum." Eriksen went on to say the engine will provide private teams with the "technical sophistication they need to compete under the challenging new LMP1 regulations."

HPD also confirmed they are developing a coupe version of the successful ARX chassis with technical partner Wirth Research. It will be specifically designed to accommodate the new V6 engine and energy recovery system.

Shaneus

Wait... if they're developing an LMP1 engine for next year, does that mean we'll see a Honda-based LMP1 entry? I thought the only new team we were going to see was Porsche (and I think another one, but I didn't think it was Honda).

moojito

I wonder if Sébastien Loeb is doing anything? Maybe he can secure the cup points lead in the 14 by the time Stewart gets back.

stewy

Did something happen to Helio Castroneves? I saw something on twitte that made me think he was in some sort of accident.

edit: apparently while practicing in a stock car in Sao Paolo. Heard he walked away, though.

Pimpwerx

What a moron. Dropped a ton of oil right on the racing line. Shouldn't the track marshalls have seen enough oil to tell him to leave it parked? Ugh. I pretty much only watch the road races and Brickyard, and this is gonna cause a delay. PEACE.

I wish NASCAR would run the boot. Maybe make the race 20 or 30 km longer too.

Could also add more laps. They have a really bizarre aversion to long road course races though. 500 miles at Michigan? Sure! Watkins Glen? Better keep it short, wouldn't want people to be bored!

Mind boggling, but they do the same thing with Sonoma. Really wish they'd run the carousel + drag strip there, the track basically has no character without those areas...

Chris R

Could also add more laps. They have a really bizarre aversion to long road course races though. 500 miles at Michigan? Sure! Watkins Glen? Better keep it short, wouldn't want people to be bored!

Mind boggling, but they do the same thing with Sonoma. Really wish they'd run the carousel + drag strip there, the track basically has no character without those areas...

If they did 83 laps with the boot it would be 450km or 60 miles longer than the current race. I agree about Sonoma too. It would be interesting to watch I think because both cases have a long right hander followed by a long left.

The only negative about running fewer laps due to longer courses is the number of full course cautions that happen. At least NASCAR was smart and threw the red flag today.

Sucks that Marcos got screwed by the caution. Can't say I'm happy that KB won the race, but I am glad the final laps were clean.

TylerD

Haven't posted in here for a while but I enjoyed the Cup race at The Glen. Need to add more road races to the schedule. Really sucks what happened to Marcos.

modulaire

It's finally time for the Ulster Grand Prix, and I'm going to be at the track this week!

The fastest motorcycle road race in the world - average speed record of 134mph (much faster than all MotoGP or World Superbike circuits unless I'm very much mistaken).

It's such a great circuit, all riders love it because of the smooth and super-fast flowing bends. Good elevation changes. Too bad the weather is a bit iffy.

The first three minutes of this video tell you everything you need to know | track guide with Michael Dunlop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKNVj9U6ymY

Jezbollah

It's finally time for the Ulster Grand Prix, and I'm going to be at the track this week!

The fastest motorcycle road race in the world - average speed record of 134mph (much faster than all MotoGP or World Superbike circuits unless I'm very much mistaken).

It's such a great circuit, all riders love it because of the smooth and super-fast flowing bends. Good elevation changes. Too bad the weather is a bit iffy.

The first three minutes of this video tell you everything you need to know | track guide with Michael Dunlop.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKNVj9U6ymY

It really isnt a circuit though - it's public roads :)

But yeah, the Ulster GP is superb. Hope the weather is good.

B.K.

I haven't followed NASCAR full time - is there a chance he can get a ride in the Cup next year?

There's a chance, but it probably won't be for a major team. Right now, the only major car that doesn't have a driver for next season is the 29, and it's rumored the Newman may get it.

modulaire

Now is the first time I experience a "red flag incident" live at a race circuit. Eww.

I'm never going to get used to this feeling - not knowing if the rider is ok or not.

Edit: Both riders are ok, only minor injuries.

Dead Man

Now is the first time I experience a "red flag incident" live at a race circuit. Eww.

I'm never going to get used to this feeling - not knowing if the rider is ok or not.

Edit: Both riders are ok, only minor injuries.

Horrible feeling live. At least on TV they can give you rapid updates.

Top Bottom