• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2013 (MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, V8's etc)

Tekniqs

Seemless shift gearboxes have zero effect on increasing engine reliability. Yamahas in particular has given it little acceleration benefit compared to Hondas, pretty much the only benefit the gearbox will have is the ability to have zero balance effect while shifting in corners.

Honda are simply better at making extremely powerful engines that are also reliable.

I heard from multiple sources (including Dave Emmett's motomatters site) that three of the four Yamahas (Cal, JL and Rossi) were already using their 5th out of 6th engines by Catalunya - 6 races into an 18 race season. This has meant there have been times where they have had to tune down the engines. In comparison, both Pedrosa and Stoner finished last year without even touching two of their engine allocation.

The biggest thing that could hinder Marquez winning the Championship is a big, big crash. His greatest strength right now is that he's riding without fear. That may change if we see him flung into orbit in an upcoming round.

it's actually probably gonna be a detriment to Yam's engines longevity. I was more talking about over a race distance as it will help preserve the tires which Rossi alluded to. He said over one lap it's not gonna make too much of a difference but over race distance, it will show.

edit: i base this on the last test they had with the seamless gearbox where Rossi was downshifting into a corner and the gearbox got stuck or something.

Dave Long

Banned
Heading to Baltimore for the GP this weekend. Three IndyCar races in one year is a record for me. Hopefully it won't be a parade. Nothing can top Indy this season, but Pocono was great to return to and the Baltimore race has been pretty decent the last two years. Just hope it isn't too hot and humid.

I'll post pics if I get any good ones.

Watevaman

Heading to Baltimore for the GP this weekend. Three IndyCar races in one year is a record for me. Hopefully it won't be a parade. Nothing can top Indy this season, but Pocono was great to return to and the Baltimore race has been pretty decent the last two years. Just hope it isn't too hot and humid.

I'll post pics if I get any good ones.

Oh man, I forgot about the Baltimore GP. I could probably go, but it's a 5 hour trip from my current location. I went back in 2011 and it was awesome.

Kurt Busch has contractual allowances with Stewart Haas to run the Indy 500 with Andretti. Very cool. That would be six entries for Indy from Michael if they keep Hinch, and get Montoya. That's a lot of cars!

I think the Busch hire is a great one by Stewart Haas, btw. The guy's a sociopath, but talent-wise, he's as good as anybody out there. If they can get him some good crew talent, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if he puts both Tony and Harvick in the shade next year.

caramac

Marquez dislocated his shoulder in morning warm up

Cal Crutchlow and the track marshalls were lucky not to be involved in that one.

ibw5Vuheqopitu.gif

Fantastic win for Scott Redding in Moto2. Added bonus that his nearest rival in the championship could only finish eighth.

Chris R

Hotlanta making them blow up left and right!

Awesome finish in the truck race earlier today as well. Still need to go back and watch the Indy race though.

edit: And Max Papis was slapped... someone find the gif!

I might be a little LTTP on this but apparently Max Papis was slapped by another driver's wife at Montreal yesterday and it supposedly dislocated his jaw and his ear is still ringing.

Just as much NASCAR's fault for throwing such a quick caution, tbh.

I mean, sure, team orders suck, but if he'd had to plow it into the fence he wouldn't have done it.

B.K.

That was a lot worse than I was expecting. I feel bad for Truex and his crew though. I didn't see where his team did anything wrong. Bowyer is the one who should have been kicked out of the Chase.

Dead Man

That was a lot worse than I was expecting. I feel bad for Truex and his crew though. I didn't see where his team did anything wrong. Bowyer is the one who should have been kicked out of the Chase.

They are all the same team though, right? If you don't punish the person who benefited by team collusion you send a message that it's okay to do as long as you have a low points scoring driver do the deed.

Or have I misunderstood it, Nascar is not my primary motorsport.

Jezbollah

Forbes Top 10 paid persons in Motorsports

1. Fernando Alonso F1 $30million ($28m salary/$2m endorsements).
2. Lewis Hamilton F1 $27.5million ($26m salary/$1.5m endorsements).
3. Dale Earnhardt Jr. NASCAR $26million ($13m salary/$13m endorsements).
4. Jimmie Johnson NASCAR $24million ($17.3m salary/$6.7m endorsements).
5. Valentino Rossi MotoGP $22million ($12m salary/$10m endorsements).
6. Tony Stewart NASCAR $18.5million ($12.5m salary/$6m endorsements).
7. Jeff Gordon NASCAR $18.2million ($12.7m salary/$5.5m endorsements).
8. Sebastian Vettel F1 $18million ($17m salary/$1m endorsements).
9. Danica Patrick NASCAR $15million ($6m salary/$9m endorsements).
10. Jenson Button F1 $14million ($14m salary/$0m endorsements).

They lashed out penalties and Gordon is still out?

I can´t believe Helton is this stupid. You either take Boywer out or make a 13th spot for Jeff.

This is madness.

And now NASCAR is investigating Joey Logano and David Gilliland:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...eff-gordon-chase-richmond-conspiracy/2801119/

Man, it's things like this that make want to see the chase abolished.

This really is getting out of hand now. Part of the reason this happens at Richmond really often is because it's usually only a battle for the final 2 spots or so in the chase and everybody else has nothing to race for so they give no fucks and spin out on purpose or park on pit road etc..

And now NASCAR is investigating Joey Logano and David Gilliland:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...eff-gordon-chase-richmond-conspiracy/2801119/

Man, it's things like this that make want to see the chase abolished.

It´s a joke if Gordon is not in it by sunday´s race.

How stupid can these guys be to fix races up over the radio?

Also, what´s sad is that ESPN wouldn´t do shit if they were broadcasting Nascar next year. Since they are out, they sure tried to do some "investigative journalism" on this one.

Also, what´s sad is that ESPN wouldn´t do shit if they were broadcasting Nascar next year. Since they are out, they sure tried to do some "investigative journalism" on this one.

This is the sad side effect of the Chase; Richmond means everything and you gotta make the Chase by any means necessary.

Same shit happened last year with Menard spinning to benefit Harvick. Was that also Richmond? I can't remember. At any rate, Jimmy Spencer presented a convincing case on RaceHub, but the RCR guys were at least smart enough to switch to a different radio channel before divulging anything super incriminating.

Top Bottom