• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Motorsports Thread of 2013 (MotoGP, WRC, Le Mans, Nascar, IRL, V8's etc)

B.K.

The Jimmie Johnson show is so boring.

I quit watching at about 80 laps to go when it was obvious Jimmie had it won. He's pretty much got the championship locked. Kenseth isn't going to be able to beat him. I'm sick and tired of Jimmie Johnson. I need to find something else to watch on Sunday afternoons.

Chris R

I quit watching at about 80 laps to go when it was obvious Jimmie had it won. He's pretty much got the championship locked. Kenseth isn't going to be able to beat him. I'm sick and tired of Jimmie Johnson. I need to find something else to watch on Sunday afternoons.

I thought about it, but instead booted up my 3DS and played some Pokemon with the audio in the background and switched as soon as he crossed the line. Just two more races left, wish I could have made it down to Phoenix again this year, as last years race was a blast to be at. I have a hunch that this years race won't be as eventful as what went down last year.

TylerD

I thought about it, but instead booted up my 3DS and played some Pokemon with the audio in the background and switched as soon as he crossed the line. Just two more races left, wish I could have made it down to Phoenix again this year, as last years race was a blast to be at. I have a hunch that this years race won't be as eventful as what went down last year.

I left with about 40 laps to go to watch Bad Grandpa. I like the Phoenix track and will be watching if I don't have anything else to do, which I probably won't.

Well, since Jeff is out of the picture for sure now at least it looks like JJ is going to win. I kind of understand the hate, but i rather see him winning than 95% of the field.

caramac

Looking forward to tomorrows Moto3 race at Valencia, even more so than the premier class.
Five points only separating the top three riders going into the final race of the season.

m0t0k1

Loved the start of the motogp race. Lorenzo was trying everything he could to keep it a close race. But at the end the standard 3 always prevail on top.

Business

Looking forward to tomorrows Moto3 race at Valencia, even more so than the premier class.
Five points only separating the top three riders going into the final race of the season.

Moto3 didn't disappoint, great racing. Great stuff on MotoGP too.

Congratulations to Marquez! What an amazing year, wow. Now work on those starts in the off season! (9 poles and did he lead at the first corner even once?) Lorenzo did what he had to, but the move on Dani was kind of bunk to be honest. There's deep, and then there's wtf are you doing deep. Wasn't terribly impressed that Pedrosa couldn't make a successful pass before that either. I'll admit I was yelling at the TV! Credit Jorge though for coming back each time.

B.K.

Jimmie's got this championship locked. Six championships. I don't know if I'm even going to bother watching next season.

B.K.

Travis Pastrana found out that racing stock cars is harder than he thought, so he's quitting. He's not going to be racing in NASCAR next season.

Edit: Just saw on the news that Trevor Bayne has been diagnosed with multiple sclerosis.

I know everyone has an opinion but what makes you think this? Of course he is inexperienced at the top level but to me he really looks like even after 2 races, that he belongs on that bike. I understand a lot of people don't like to get behind the "hype machine", but in Marquez case I think the hype is real, as he hasn't given me any reason to think other wise.

I always go back to that last Moto2 race at Valencia last season, where he started at the back of the grid and just tore the field up, won convincingly in tricky conditions. Its one of the best rides I have ever seen, that I am surprised that its not mentioned more often.

In saying all this, one thing he has bought into to MotoGP is a sense of excitement for the season ahead and he has everyone talking. While I loved Casey Stoner, I felt sometimes that whole "negative vibe" that he gave off, sometime bought down the sport as a whole.

If I could get better than 3/1 odds, I would put good money on him to win the championship. Big call I know, but he is capable imo. Has a rider ever won a championship in their first season?

I know I dug up my own post from the start of the MotoGP season, but damn I should of put money on him!! I really thought 3/1 wasn't good enough odds for a rookie but the bookies knew better. Also this was a response to Tekniq saying that Marquez wouldn't win another race after COTA hehe.

Congratulations to Marquez! What an amazing year, wow. Now work on those starts in the off season! (9 poles and did he lead at the first corner even once?) Lorenzo did what he had to, but the move on Dani was kind of bunk to be honest. There's deep, and then there's wtf are you doing deep. Wasn't terribly impressed that Pedrosa couldn't make a successful pass before that either. I'll admit I was yelling at the TV! Credit Jorge though for coming back each time.

It was an amazing year, not only the racing but the qualifying were some of the best I've seen. The amount of times MM just pulled out at fast lap at the death to take pole, even though often he was down at splits, was just brilliant. The on edge style of his riding makes him so awesome to watch.

Starts have been a weakness for him but he more than makes up for them by his willingness to pass aggressively(sometimes reckless), something his teammate Dani has never really been good at. I guess the only thing I really fear is the inevitable "serious" accident, which is bound to happen at some point with the way he rides. He was so lucky at Mugello that the crash he had at the end of the main straight didn't kill him, not to mention the other big crashes he had throughout the season. He has shown how fearless he his though, even after a big crash, he is back out there like nothing happened.

Anyway, next year my money is on Marky Marc Marquez. I see no reason (apart from injury) that he can't back it up.

thefro

Dario Franchitti forced to retire from racing after his injuries in Houston
http://chipganassiracing.com/ViewArticle.aspx?articleid=14019

INDIANAPOLIS, Ind. (Nov. 14, 2013) – Target Chip Ganassi Racing (TCGR) announced today that three-time Indianapolis 500 Winner and four-time IndyCar Series Champion Dario Franchitti will be unable to continue his auto racing career. The IndyCar Series legend ends his career with 31 Indy car wins (tied for eighth on the all-time list) and 33 poles (sixth on the all-time list).

Statement from Dario Franchitti:

“Since my racing accident in Houston, I have been in the expert care of some of the leading doctors and nurses, all of whom have made my health, my safety and my recovery their top priority. I am eternally grateful for the medical care I have received over the last several weeks. I'd also like to thank my family and friends for their unbelievable support.

One month removed from the crash and based upon the expert advice of the doctors who have treated and assessed my head and spinal injuries post accident, it is their best medical opinion that I must stop racing. They have made it very clear that the risks involved in further racing are too great and could be detrimental to my long term well-being. Based on this medical advice, I have no choice but to stop.

Racing has been my life for over 30 years and it's really tough to think that the driving side is now over. I was really looking forward to the 2014 season with Target Chip Ganassi Racing, with a goal of winning a fourth Indianapolis 500 and a fifth IndyCar Series championship.

I'd like to thank all my fellow competitors, teammates, crew and sponsors for their incredible support over the course of this amazing ride. I'd also like to thank Hogan Racing, Team KOOL Green and Andretti Green Racing for the opportunities to compete on the racetrack, and especially Target Chip Ganassi Racing, who have become like a family to me since I joined their team back in 2008. I would be remiss if I didn't thank all my fans around the world. I can't thank you enough for standing by my side for all these years.

I'll forever look back on my time racing in CART and the IndyCar Series with fond memories and the relationships I've forged in the sport will last a lifetime.

Hopefully in time, I'll be able to continue in some off-track capacity with the IndyCar Series. I love open-wheel racing and I want to see it succeed. I'll be working with Chip to see how I can stay involved with the team, and with all the amazing friends I've made over the years at Target.

As my buddy Greg Moore would say, ‘See you up front’”

Statement from Chip Ganassi, Team Owner:

“Dario Franchitti has done so much for Target Chip Ganassi Racing so it will be very disappointing to not see him in our cars next season. But simply put, Dario is a motorsports legend and will be sorely missed on the race track by everyone in the paddock and in the stands. His contributions to the sport of motor racing are too many to list but I can tell you that they go way beyond what he has done on the track. What’s both impressive and unique about Dario is that he has always been a student of racing, someone who not only appreciates the actual science of the sport but also the rich heritage of those racers that have gone before him. This news only serves as the start of next chapter in Dario Franchitti’s racing career – which I expect will be here with Target Chip Ganassi Racing.”

Statement from Gregg Steinhafel, CEO, Target:

“We have been proud to watch Dario emerge as one of the most exciting drivers in IndyCar, winning three series championships and becoming a two-time Indianapolis 500 winner during his time with Target Chip Ganassi Racing. Not only has he had a storied career, but his popularity with Target’s guests, his tremendous contributions to racing and his engagement in our community giving efforts have made him an integral part of Team Target. While we’ll miss seeing him drive behind the Bullseye, Dario will always be a member of the Target racing family, and we look forward to seeing him excel in the next phase of his career.”

Franchitti joined Target Chip Ganassi Racing in 2008, and in just five seasons delivered two Indianapolis 500 wins (2010 and 2012), the first-ever run of three-consecutive IndyCar Series titles by a Target driver (2009-2011), 13 Indy car wins, 16 pole positions and a win in the 2008 Rolex 24 At Daytona. He finished the 2013 IndyCar Series season with four podiums, seven top-five and 11 top-10 finishes, and his four pole positions were more than any other driver this season.

Overall, Franchitti made 265 career Indy car starts. His four championships are second only to AJ Foyt on the all-time list, and he is only the third driver in Indy car history to win at least three consecutive titles. Franchitti became one of only five drivers to win the Indianapolis 500 and the series title in the same season more than once. His 92 podiums place him fifth, his 119 top-five finishes place him tied for sixth and his 29 second-place finishes rank him 10th on the all-time lists. In 2007, Franchitti became first professional race car driver to ever capture the 12 Hours of Sebring, the Indianapolis 500, an open wheel title and the Rolex 24 At Daytona consecutively, accomplishing the feat in less than one year. Mario Andretti and A.J. Foyt are the only others to win the four titles, but neither did so in succession. By winning the 2012 Indianapolis 500, Franchitti became just the 10th driver in history to win the race three times, and ends his driving career as the winningest driver in U.S. open-wheel history from Great Britain.

WHOA... Terrible news. He's had a difficult year both on and off the track. I'm not sure how much he had left in the tank with Indycar, but many years of USCR were likely ahead of him. Being forced to stop is such a sad way to go out for such a terrific guy, and talent.

He's got a face for TV, so hopefully that's where we'll see him next. NBC Sports could really use him for either Indycar, or F1.

Starts have been a weakness for him but he more than makes up for them by his willingness to pass aggressively(sometimes reckless), something his teammate Dani has never really been good at.

Reminds me of what Rossi used to do all the time. Bad qually - started 9th, bad start - dropped back to 12th, that stuff used to happen to him all the time, and he'd always win anyway. Marc's not at that level yet, but he's got the same attitude and ability to make stuff like that happen. As you rightly say, Dani just doesn't.

* Sorry, meant to edit my previous post, but dp'd instead.

modulaire

Kurt Caselli dies after Baja 1000 crash
By Simon Patterson - Off road 16 November 2013 08:52

KTM rider Kurt Caselli has lost his life while competing in the famous Baja 1000 race through Mexico’s Baja California peninsula, after sustaining serious injuries while leading the 883 mile long race.

Early and unconfirmed reports indicate that the thirty year old hit a manmade booby trap at the 796-mile marker of the course. Sabotage to the rugged and remote off road course is common by spectators, who dig jumps and obstacles to provide more exciting viewing.

The widely liked American made his debut in the Dakar Rally last year, impressing from the off by winning two stages of the tough SouthAmerican race in his rookie year to finish 31st overall.

Caselli had said in the press conference after qualifying that winning the Baja was one of his big remaining goals. “Baja has always been on my list. A win (by KTM) is something that’s not just myself but a lot of other people have wanted to see it for a long time, and I will be very happy if I can be a part of that. I’m not trying to take any glory. I just want to be able to say that I was part of a winning team.”

Motorcycle News sends our deepest condolences to Kurt’s family and friends. He will be sorely missed.

Crazy. Rip.

Bacs

Neo Member
Congratulations to
Matt Crafton
on his truck series championship; should not be too much of a spoiler since all he had to do was start the race. Up today is the Nationwide race and the championship comes down to win-less Austin Dillon trying to hold off Sam Hornish Jr., by a margin of 8 points. Should be an interesting afternoon to see if history is made as Dillon may become the first driver without a win to score the championship in Nascar's top 3 divisions.

B.K.

The Nationwide Series race is about to start. This will be the best championship battle of the weekend. Crafton had his championship locked as soon as he started the race and Jimmie pretty much has his sixth championship locked. This is going to be the only race with a real battle for the championship.

Bacs

Neo Member
The Nationwide Series race is about to start. This will be the best championship battle of the weekend. Crafton had his championship locked as soon as he started the race and Jimmie pretty much has his sixth championship locked. This is going to be the only race with a real battle for the championship.

Agreed. Although Jimmie is pretty much hit or miss at Homestead, his previous last two finishes being in the 30's, it just makes me believe he's due to have a good run there this year. I think we're about to see some crazy things in the Nationwide race.

B.K.

Hornish is doing a good job staying ahead of Dillon so far. It's going to be a big help for him that Penske put Keselowski in this race. That will be two teammates he's going to have to hold up Dillon.

Bacs

Neo Member
It seems Dillon just doesn't have the best of cars today while Hornish is top notch. The #3 has a bit of a loose problem while the #12 is hooked up great with the track. Of course, anything could change that.

B.K.

I hate when NASCAR runs this many laps under caution. Especially in an important race like this. If it's going to take this long to clean the track, park the damn cars!

Chris R

Sam Hornish just got jobbed. What a fucking joke. I guess NASCAR doesn't want their next Sliced Bread to get out of the junior division without a championship.

B.K.

That last caution was bullshit. The should have red flagged that race.

For what reason was there to waste so many laps.

To help Dillion get the championship. It'll make a nice storyline for NASCAR next season having the 3 come back to Cup with the Nationwide Series champion driving it.

Bacs

Neo Member
Well, congrats to
Austin Dillon
on his championship. It was a nail biter for sure. This will definitely be talked about a lot I suspect.

Chris R

Such bullshit. Whatever.

See everyone in February for Daytona 24h. I wonder how much shit Dillion will get next season running the 3... should have been retired.

Unless JJ blows up sometime tomorrow and I get wind of it to swap TV channels

Bacs

Neo Member
To help Dillion get the championship. It'll make a nice storyline for NASCAR next season having the 3 come back to Cup with the Nationwide Series champion driving it.

We all know how much Nascar loves its storylines. Brian France is probably passed out on a desk somewhere from all the jolly's this gave him.

Chris R

I'm probably done with the Nationwide series outside of the road courses. Tired of seeing Cup drivers in the series and the racing doesn't grip me like the
Truck
series does. Might give it a chance in 2015 after it gets off ESPN.

B.K.

Tired of seeing Cup drivers in the series and the racing doesn't grip me like the
Truck
series does.

The Truck Series has the best racing of the three national NASCAR series. I wish I could watch more races than I do. Their schedule makes it hard to keep up with when they have races. I've only see two or three races this season. The Truck race at Eldora was the best NASCAR race this entire season.

Bacs

Neo Member
The trucks have been the best series for a while. I guess because that is the fifth thing Nascar cares about behind money, sponsorship, the Cup series, and the Nationwide series. I do wonder how the new 2014 truck bodies will effect the racing.

Bacs

Neo Member
Oh crap, this Cup race just got interesting. It looks like the championship may come down to the wire between all three in contention.

Velcro Fly

It helps when NASCAR gives you permission to cheat and always has cautions when he needs them.

Or you know, exactly when he doesn't need them, like Martinsville a few weeks ago when he was dominating. Or the other 3 or 4 races he's come out of a final pit stop not in first after being in the lead before a caution.

friday

Kurt Caselli dies after Baja 1000 crash

Crazy. Rip.

Further reports show that it was not some man made object but there are signs he collided with an animal while traveling at high speed. GPS showed 93 MPH to 0 almost instantly. Really terrible news, it is always tough when one of the best is killed.

Top Bottom