• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix thread

kazuo

AfunkyArcadeStick said:
and/or you know you could just

not play the game and stop trying to piss on it for people who don't really care about lines being too dark or Akuma's muscles not being anatomically correct?

And/or you know you could just

Stop making assumptions about my stance on the game?

My only real issue with it at this point is the fact that they're changing an aspect of the gameplay... fucking with SFII's gameplay is a no-no.

I could care less about the craptastic artwork, I just want to play Super IIx online and stomp people's faces in. Fair tradeoff.

And if it happens to come with a non-remixed version, even better.

kazuo

OatmealMu said:
Did one artist eat all the other ones?

I'm not familiar with the artist(s); I was under the impression that it was a single guy.

In any case, dude was there at the booth pimping his shit, and responded in the affirmative when I asked if he was Udon.

Sorry that I don't swing off his sack like some of the people here.

GrayFoxPL

Rebalancing SS2T Article on Capcomunity.

Didn't see it posted.

Very important stuff there! I agree with most of the decisions of the "expert", it's not "dumbing down" like one site already interpreted, but I don't like one thing...

360 motions are easier because they no longer require you to hold up and accidentally jump. Spinning Pile Drives can now be done by half-circle forward, then back + punch or half circle back, then forward + punch.

Half circle forward, back for zangief's pilledriver? WTF?! Part of the game with im was buffering the "up" during jump in or during animation of other moves. WTF??? That shit I don't like.

blackadde

anyone serious about using zangief had to learn to do standing 360's anyways. sirlin's just trying to remove execution as a barrier to strategy.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
wow, that's more of a KoF style move motion.

Oh, so both motions are usable? I'd assume serious Zangiefs will still use the 360, seems like it'd come off faster.

Jirotrom

kazuo said:
And/or you know you could just

Stop making assumptions about my stance on the game?

My only real issue with it at this point is the fact that they're changing an aspect of the gameplay... fucking with SFII's gameplay is a no-no.

I could care less about the craptastic artwork, I just want to play Super IIx online and stomp people's faces in. Fair tradeoff.

And if it happens to come with a non-remixed version, even better.
they are putting a version in there that is untouched...

I'd imagine the "pure" version with all the original moves in tact will come with that game as well. Although, that I like as that movement is more natural and gives it a more SNK feel.

BitchTits

GrayFoxPL said:
Half circle forward, back for zangief's pilledriver? WTF?! Part of the game with im was buffering the "up" during jump in or during animation of other moves. WTF??? That shit I don't like.
I agree in theory, but to be honest I don't think I ever successfully did a spinning piledriver on the 360, in fact I just gave up trying and altered my gameplay with Zangief, who accounted for about 60-70% of my gameplay on XBLA SF2 Turbo. So, I welcome this change.

Most commands ending with diagonally up/forward have been changed to much easier motions. Sagat’s Tiger Knee is a Dragon Punch motion now (as it is in later games). Cammy’s Hooligan Throw and Fei Long’s Flying Kicks are now fireball motions (qcf + p and qcf + k, respectively), so no more accidental jumping frustrations.

I welcome this too.

Ledsen

kazuo said:
I'm not familiar with the artist(s); I was under the impression that it was a single guy.

In any case, dude was there at the booth pimping his shit, and responded in the affirmative when I asked if he was Udon.

Sorry that I don't swing off his sack like some of the people here.

Udon is a studio and a publisher.

The rebalanced mode sounds like dumbed-down shit. We're still going to get redrawn graphics with proper gameplay, right? Or are the redrawn graphics and the rebalanced mode tied to the hip?

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Rebalanced mode sounds fine to me. They are separating Remix and Original modes and they are separate from each other in online play. And both modes are going to use the new sprites and music and all that. I don't see the fuss to be honest. The two entities aren't going to cross-over so what's the big deal?

Jirotrom

Reno said:
Rebalanced mode sounds fine to me. They are separating Remix and Original modes and they are separate from each other in online play. And both modes are going to use the new sprites and music and all that. I don't see the fuss to be honest. The two entities aren't going to cross-over so what's the big deal?
people will complain about anything...even if its absolutely ridiculous to do so.

Angelcurio

GrayFoxPL said:
Rebalancing SS2T Article on Capcomunity.

Didn't see it posted.

Very important stuff there! I agree with most of the decisions of the "expert", it's not "dumbing down" like one site already interpreted, but I don't like one thing...

Hm.. Thats the same motion used for one of Shermie´s throws in Kof 98 and 2002.

R-User!

Behind-the-Scenes: Rebalancing Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix (part 2, Ryu)

…and we’re back! This is part two in an extended series of articles from David Sirlin, detailing the changes we’ve made to the rebalanced mode of the new Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix project. The first article went into some details about the design philosophy behind some of the changes.This week we’re taking an in-depth look at Ryu himself. How do you mess with arguably one of the most versatile and fully-realized character designs of all time? Read on for the answer!PS- remember, the changes to the rebalanced mode are OPTIONAL :) If you think our redesign team has messed with a masterpiece, the game’s original mode is also included. Although “original” mode also features the HD art, original mode has NO changes to any of the characters. All of their move properties and hitboxes are exactly as they were, down to the pixel! This basically means you have two games in one, and if you don’t like the new-fangled version, the old-school version is still there.

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix Gameplay, Part 2: Ryu

Ryu’s change list is unusual, so let’s start with him. He’s the central character in Street Fighter, both in the story and the game mechanics of fireball/uppercut. In ST, he’s not especially powerful (no one ranks him as top tier), and yet in the hands of an expert he is able to win tournaments. He’s pretty balanced as he is.

I asked tournament player John Choi to give me a complete list of Ryu changes that he requested. Choi is, I think, the #1 Ryu player in the US (check out his crushing victory at Evolution West 2007, among others [editor’s note: HERE is one of those matches from Choi]). Choi contemplated this for weeks and finally came up with his complete list: 1) add a fake fireball, and 2) no other changes.

This was not what I expected, but I immediately liked it. Ryu already has the tools he needs to win, so he doesn’t really need much of a change to win. Choi’s original reasoning for the fake fireball was to give him an answer to Dhalsim’s drills. Dhalsim can drill Ryu on reaction when he sees a fireball, but a fake would trick Dhalsim into committing, then Ryu would recover from the fake and be able to Dragon Punch.

That use of the fake fireball sounds fine, but what’s even better is that is addressed a larger problem, too. In this new game, many characters are more able to get around fireballs than before. This is a delicate thing, so don’t misunderstand me. If we have a scale of 1 to 10, where 10 is the effectiveness of fireballs in Super Turbo and 1 is the effectiveness in SF3: 3rd Strike, I’m shooting for an 8. A lot of the non-fireball characters have pretty bad matches in ST, and they need a little help, but we still want fireballs to be strong. We *especially* want fireballs to still be strong for Ryu, the star character.

As soon as I heard the idea for the fake fireball, I realized it was not only what Ryu wanted in ST, but it’s what he needed in HD Remix. Even if other characters now have ways out of fireball traps that they previously didn’t, Ryu would still be able to trap them by tricking them with fakes. You might wonder if this is any better of a situation than in original Super Turbo. After all, I’m saying Ryu can fireball trap a lot of characters in both games, so what’s changed? What’s changed is that there is now a lot more of a mind-game on both sides of those fights. Ryu *still* has the tools to fireball trap Bison, Honda, Fei Long, etc., but now each player must get into the other’s head to escape the trap or keep it going. It’s great stuff.

Before implementing this, I also talked to Nekohashi, one of the best Ryu players in Japan. I asked him for his list of Ryu changes for a new version of Street Fighter and his response was something close to “No changes needed, Ryu’s design is already perfect.” I said ok, but how about this idea of adding just one thing: a fake fireball? Nekohashi said, “Yes! That is a masterpiece. Give him that move and nothing else.” I think Nekohashi probably had similar reasoning to mine above, because I had already explained to him a few ways that various weaker characters would have to avoid fireballs.

With Nekohashi’s blessing, we finally added this move to the game. I know it makes a better story when things turn out totally differently than you expect, but the fake fireball turned out exactly as we expected, at least so far. It really does add an interesting mind-game to a lot of fights. It also has another use as a rushdown tool, such as cancelling low roundhouse or low fierce into a fake fireball, then quickly throwing the opponent. This technique actually lets you recover slightly faster than if you did low roundhouse or low fierce alone, and also the visuals trick the opponent into blocking, so it’s an effective technique. I think it’s not overly powerful though, but we’ll continue to test it and keep an eye on this.

The command for fake fireball is qcf + short. Ryu players tend to fake with short anyway, so this was a natural place for it. Also, putting it only on short kick ensures that you will never ever accidentally get the move when (on button up) you try to do low medium kick or low roundhouse into a real fireball.

So there we have it. The first character change list I’m presenting to you is unusually short: only one item long! But it’s quite an item with power that ripples through a lot of matches.

—Sirlin

Here’s a brief bio on our guest blogger:

David Sirlin has competed in Street Fighter tournaments for 16 years, and for 11 years he has helped organize and run the tournament series that started as B3 and has now become the international Evolution Championships. He represented the United States in SSF2T in Japan’s Super Battle Opera tournament, wrote the competitive gaming book Playing to Win, and provided narration for Bang the Machine, a documentary film about the Street Fighter community. He’s now overseeing the design and gameplay on Super Street Fighter 2: HD Remix.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix FAQ

This FAQ from David Sirlin clears up some pervasive misinformation and provides answers to many of the general questions from the fans surrounding the game. Covering everything from game modes to screen resolution and music, this is a one-stop answer-fest for everyone eagerly anticipating the next installment in the Street Fighter II universe.

PS- Be sure to also check out his first article about the design philosophy behind some of the changes, and the second article detailing some of the specific changes to Ryu. There are many more to come detailing more specific character changes and the thinking that went into them, so stay tuned.

SSF2T HD Remix FAQ

Is the gameplay the same as Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo?
You actually get two games in one in this package:
1) SSF2T HD Remix
2) SSF2T HD Classic Arcade

SSF2T HD Remix is a brand new game. It’s a sequel to SSF2T, with over 100 changes to improve the balance and playability.

SSF2T HD Classic Arcade has the same gameplay as the original Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo. It does NOT have any of the easier joystick motions, command changes, bug fixes, or gameplay tweaks that you might have heard about in SSF2T HD Remix. Our goal is to make SSF2T HD Classic Arcade as close as possible to the gameplay of the original arcade ST in every way.

You don’t have to worry about which game you might like, because you get both of them together!

Is the rebalanced game (SSF2THDR) intended only for beginners? I heard someone say it’s “dumbed down.”
Although easier special move timings will help beginners, the rebalanced game is intended to be the tournament standard played by pros. The pros can already perform almost any move with staggering precision, so changes to move commands won’t affect them very much. The balance changes of hitboxes, recoveries, and other move properties will definitely affect the gameplay at the pro level though. Most of the balance changes are specifically aimed at the very highest level of tournament play in the world. (Plus several additions for the sake of fun that don’t ruin the balance.)

We hope that players will find the rebalanced game “smartened up,” rather than dumbed down. Making various special moves a bit easier to perform puts more emphasis on strategy and reading the mind of your opponent. Likewise, strengthening the low tier characters will put more emphasis on player skill and less on disparities between characters. While we hope beginners will find the game more accessible, make no mistake that we intend the game to be more strategically interesting at the tournament level than ever before.

Will each game have separate rankings?
Yes. Similar to X and X’ modes in Puzzle Fighter, there will be separate leaderboards for SSF2T HD Remix and SSF2T HD Classic Arcade.

Do both games have new art?
Yes. All the character sprites, backgrounds, projectiles, effects, UI, and menus are redone in HD. Every piece of art is new whether you play the classic game or the new game.

Is the game widescreen 16:9 or is it 4:3?
It’s both. If you have a widescreen tv, the menu screens and character select screen will always be widescreen. You can choose whether to view the gameplay itself in either the original 4:3 or the new 16:9. The 16:9 mode zooms in to fill your screen, and also adjusts the camera movement to pan up when necessary. The 16:9 mode does not alter gameplay at all. In fact, you can play in the 4:3 mode while your networked opponent plays in the 16:9 mode, and neither of you will even know how the other is viewing the game.

Is the game 1080p?
Like most 1080p games, SSF2T HD Remix does render in full 1080p with no hardware scaling. Our goal is actually a higher standard for 1080p where every pixel on screen maps 1:1 with a pixel from the source texture. There are very few games that meet this standard, and it would be nearly impossible for a 3D game to do so with today’s hardware. Every piece of art in our entire game—from menus to life bars to backgrounds to character sprites—is being created at 1080p resolution.

Because of download size limits, we are not yet sure if we can meet our goal of 1:1 pixels.-----R-User! comment: 360 version only?----- Maybe we will be able to do further optimizations to meet it, or maybe the download size limits will change. In the absolute worst case though, the game will still output a 1080p signal and will still have 1:1 1080p source resolution for all text, all UI elements such as life bars and super meters, and even the foreground elements on all the stages. Only the characters and far backgrounds might have to use 720p source art scaled to 1080p.

Even though this worst case still leaves the game a 1080p game, we are still working toward our goal of a 1080p signal with 100% 1080p source art as well.

Is there new music?
Yes, all the stages will have new remixed music.

Is this game based on the Dreamcast version of SSF2T? I thought people wanted the arcade version.
Yes it is based on the Dreamcast version. The Dreamcast version has many fixes and features over the arcade version. It has random character select, a training mode, a versus mode, and lots of bug fixes such the ability to do reversal supers with Ken/Sagat/Dhalsim, the correct sound effects for hitting with certain normal moves, the correct point values for hitting with certain normal moves, etc. The new gamely in SSF2T HD Remix uses the Dreamcast version as a starting point because we wanted these small bugs fixed.

We also know that everyone wants the arcade version for SSF2T HD Classic Arcade. Luckily, the Dreamcast version contains the source code of the arcade game with internal dipswitches to set gameplay back to the arcade version. We’ve set everything to the 02/23/1994 settings, which should be the same as the arcade version. This allows to have the gameplay of the arcade version with the versus mode, training mode, random select, and damage handicap options of the Dreamcast version.

There are claims that the character sizes are different in the Dreamcast version than arcade. After capturing screens from both versions and comparing, I found that they line up exactly, pixel for pixel. The only difference is that the Dreamcast version introduced a black border around the edges of the video signal that might make the entire game appear to be slightly smaller, depending on your tv. This will not be an issue in our version though, so the character sizes should be exactly like the arcade.

We also noticed that damage dealt appears to be different in the Dreamcast’s versus mode compared with the arcade version. Yes, this is true and it’s due to the way the game handles handicap settings. We changed the handicap formulas so that if you play on the default handicap, the damage dealt will be exactly the same as the arcade version, but now you have the option of having a little more or less life if you want. (Handicap is of course disabled in ranked play and it defaults to off in unranked play, but you can turn it on if you like.)

The game speed is also slightly different depending on which hardware the game runs on. We are still working towards making our speeds match the arcade speeds. They’re close, but we will do more tuning.

Are the “old characters” still in the game?
The original ST game has 16 characters (including Ken, for example), 16 alternate versions (including Old Ken, for example), and Akuma. SSF2T HD Classic Arcade has all these same characters.

SSF2T HD Remix no longer has the 16 “old characters” though. Instead, the highlights of those characters have been incorporated into their mainline counterparts. SSF2T HD Remix has 17 selectable characters.

Is Akuma selectable?
In the original SSF2T, Akuma was a powerful boss character, not intended to be balanced against the rest of the characters. For this reason, he is NOT selectable in online ranked matches in SSF2T HD Classic Arcade. In unranked matches, he will either also be unselectable, or there will be an option to allow/disallow him with the default set to disallow.

In the new SSF2T HD Remix gameplay, Akuma is rebalanced to compete fairly against the other characters. He is allowed and he no longer even requires a secret code to pick him.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Those were two good reads when I read them a few days ago...

I wonder if developing for the 360 is going to lead to the PS3 version(?) being not quite as good as it could be if the developers were given no limits on the download size.

Either way, I intend on purchasing it day one. :)

Souther

Banned
last time i checked the ps3 doesn't have a download size limit. Many demos are over 1 gig. Unless its uses the FAt32 file system

And where has it been said that the 360 is the lead sku?

if anything the 360 would suffer because of its DL size limit, unless MS has changed this policy.

Also, is this still supposed to come out this year or has it been pushed back?

Because of download size limits, we are not yet sure if we can meet our goal of 1:1 pixels.-----R-User! comment: 360 version only?----- Maybe we will be able to do further optimizations to meet it, or maybe the download size limits will change. In the absolute worst case though, the game will still output a 1080p signal and will still have 1:1 1080p source resolution for all text, all UI elements such as life bars and super meters, and even the foreground elements on all the stages. Only the characters and far backgrounds might have to use 720p source art scaled to 1080p.

Even though this worst case still leaves the game a 1080p game, we are still working toward our goal of a 1080p signal with 100% 1080p source art as well.

NO! DON'T DO IT!!! Screw download sizes, just do the full resolution! If MS won't allow it, then at least let the PS3 version be full 1080p for all assets!

Grayman

Souther said:
last time i checked the ps3 doesn't have a download size limit. Many demos are over 1 gig. Unless its uses the FAt32 file system

And where has it been said that the 360 is the lead sku?

if anything the 360 would suffer because of its DL size limit, unless MS has changed this policy.

Also, is this still supposed to come out this year or has it been pushed back?
I think the ps3 is fat, but even then the size limit would be what 4 gigs?

As far as I know neither system was lead sku but they mentioned months ago that one of their size limits has already put restrictions on how much they could upgrade the background images.

Hmm..I kinda like the idea of a fake fireball for Ryu. It's not like he needed another move in his arsenal, but I'm for it if everyone else on the roster is getting upgrades.

Fake Fireball Trap FTW!

Skilletor

Hunter D said:
Why would they do this? Are there less recovery frames?

Instead of bouncing away, he just lands. It isn't right next to you, he won't be able to set up an spd/upper guessing game. There will be space between the characters.

It sounds good on paper and it also sounds as if they're testing it to make sure it works. I keep faith.

BitchTits

Superblatt said:
Hmm..I kinda like the idea of a fake fireball for Ryu. It's not like he needed another move in his arsenal, but I'm for it if everyone else on the roster is getting upgrades.
He had one in the Zero/Alpha series too.

Reading these blog entries regarding the new balancing is giving me good vibes for this game. Purists still have the original version, but for those of us who find 720 and even 360 moves difficult on the X360-pad, it sounds like it's gonna be great.

Hunter D

Skilletor said:
Instead of bouncing away, he just lands. It isn't right next to you, he won't be able to set up an spd/upper guessing game. There will be space between the characters.

It sounds good on paper and it also sounds as if they're testing it to make sure it works. I keep faith.
The Japanese will find a way to use this. Hawk will be flying all over the place, but still won't be as sexy as vega. :D

hiryu

Man that blog makes everything sound great. I'm glad they are putting so much thought into the game and asking the tournament players what they think. Game will be so awesome.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
As a former tournament player, I am loving everything I hear about this game. Sounds like they are taking the rebalancing very seriously and so far I like all the changes, particularly the dumbing down moves so they are easier to do on a d-pad.

svenuce said:
Ken's changes are up:

http://blog.capcom.com/archives/627

Still need to see Chun-Li's :(
7xc5gs6.gif

Awesome.

GalacticAE said:
:lol That fire part is actually from a .gif of this French lady who set herself on fire.

Ahh. I was wondering why the person getting hit had long hair, but then I remembered what a horrible movie it was and thought they left a really bad stunt person in the shot.

Draft

Can someone c/p the character changes? I always forget to check this thread at home, and ye olde draconian net nanny blocks Capcom.com here at work.

R-User!

Draft said:
Can someone c/p the character changes? I always forget to check this thread at home, and ye olde draconian net nanny blocks Capcom.com here at work.

Your wish is my command...

*poof*

http://blog.capcom.com/archives/627

Behind-the-Scenes: Rebalancing Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (part 4, Ken)

This is part four (count em–4!) in an extended series of articles from David Sirlin, detailing the changes we’ve made to the rebalanced mode of the new Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix project. The first article went into some details about the design philosophy behind some of the changes, the second detailed changes to Ryu, and part three was all about T. Hawk. This week focuses on the ladies’ man behind everyone’s favorite flaming fist, Ken Masters!

Ken
Ken is juiced up! Although there isn’t any single overwhelming change to him, all the small changes add up.

Hurricane Kicks
The most visible change to Ken is his new roundhouse Hurricane Kick. In the original ST it has almost no use, but now it travels much faster and goes much farther. Most people say, “Wow!” when they see it for the first time. It allows Ken to hit back various whiffed moves from far away, such as Cammy’s Spinning Backfist or Balrog’s Buffalo Headbutt, but it usually gets only one air hit in those cases. If you can hit a standing opponent with it, it has a lot of dizzy power. So far in testing, this moves *looks* a lot more dangerous than it actually is, but it’s definitely a fun toy.

There are a few more small changes to Hurricane kicks, mostly because of the change mentioned above. The medium Hurricane kick goes just slightly farther, as does the aerial roundhouse Hurricane kick, but you probably won’t even really notice those changes. The short Hurricane kick stays in the air a shorter amount of time, making it a slightly better trick and a little bit better against Sagat’s low Tiger Shots.

Dragon Punches
Now Ken’s jab and strong Dragon Punches are invulnerable on the way up, exactly the like Old Ken’s from SSF2T. Ken’s fierce dragon punch is based on ST New Ken’s, so it still has fire effects and sets the enemy on fire on hit. Although it has no additional invulnerability, it has even more horizontal range than before, similar to the range it had in SF2: Champion Edition. You can think of his three Dragon Punches as a kind of Greatest Hits of Ken: the best properties of Old Ken (invulnerable jab and strong versions), as well as ST’s fire and CE’s arc on the fierce Dragon Punch.

Another change to the Dragon Punches is that the strong and fierce versions always knock down on hit. In the original ST, it’s frustrating if you happen to hit with a Dragon Punch at just the wrong range where it won’t knock down and gets only one of the intended 2 or 3 hits (you’re going to get hit back!). Now the strong version knocks down even on the first hit and can air juggle for a second hit, and the fierce version always knocks down and can air juggle for two additional hits. Note that if you get a glancing hit with the fierce Dragon Punch, it will do very little damage, just like in ST. But if you land a very deep fierce Dragon Punch against a jump-in, it will now juggle for 3 hits and do high damage, even more than New Ken’s deep jab Dragon Punch.

“Crazy Kicks”
In ST, Ken has three different so-called Crazy Kicks, each with a different joystick motion. These three motions made the kicks generally confusing and they would come out when you didn’t want them. In HD Remix, the commands for these kicks have been changed to the commands in Capcom vs. SNK2. Quarter circle forward + either short, forward, or roundhouse gives you each of the three different kicks, and holding the kick button down makes any of the Crazy Kicks cancel into an overhead. The actual properties of the kicks (speed, hitboxes, damage, etc) are exactly the same as in ST. They’re just a little easier to keep straight in your head now. Note that, like before, you can easily combo a normal attack into the qcf+medium kick version and with good timing you can combo a sweep after the qcf+short version.

Knee Bash
Ken’s Knee Bash hold is very powerful. Afterwards, he can walk under most characters and end up on the other side. This means that he might do a low attack from one side or the other side, and then either try for another Knee Bash or maybe a jab Dragon Punch. Or, against many characters, he can jump jab right after the Knee Bash and the spacing is just right for him to “safe jump” (see the tutorials on Capcom Classics Collection 2), which lets him go for another Knee Bash.

The Knee Bash is, in my opinion, the third most deadly repeated throw trap in ST. This is a close call, but I left it in. Ken is not considered a top tier character, and we’re trying not to nerf the power level of anything unless it’s absolutely necessary. Also, Ken gets so much gameplay out of this mixup that he’d lose a lot of fun-factor if this were removed.

As a bit of a compromise, I reduced the damage on the first hit of the Knee Bash. I don’t mind the fun gameplay resulting from his mixups, but his ability to get as much as 25% damage off each one was just too much.

Super
In ST, there is a bug that prevents Ken from doing a reversal super. That means if he’s knocked down and the enemy makes him get up into a sweep (or any move), he can’t do a super on the first frame he stands up. This bug is fixed in HD Remix, but it remains unfixed in HD Classic Arcade.

Ken was a viable, middle-tier character before and now he’s a bit better all around (except for the lower damage Knee Bash). The invulnerable Dragon Punches come in handy because it allows you beat out every other character’s Dragon Punch if done correctly. The big range on the fierce Dragon Punch also has several uses, such as stopping a pesky off-the-wall Vega even moreso than before. And the 3-hit anti-air fierce Dragon Punch, the simpler Crazy Kicks, and the long range roundhouse Hurricane Kick give him some fun new toys.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
That is excellent that they are basing this off of the Dreamcast version, which is probably my most prized game in my collection, retaining the dip-switch menu and everything!

And I only now saw that they are listing the changes for the Remix version - very cool...

Man, whenever this game comes out, it is going to be in heavy rotation for me for a loooooong time... gonna start playing SF: Anniversary Collection on Live again starting early next year to prepare for this!

Agent X

Kabuki Waq said:
is this coming in 2007 by any chance?

It's scheduled for early 2008 now.

ShmarthurShmooner said:
i wish more devs had a blog where they write about the little details of their design choices. very insightful!

Yeah, I like this a lot. It reminds me of the early 1990s, when Capcom started doing SF2 revisions (Champion Edition, Turbo, etc.), and those of us who were really into SF2 wanted to know what was being added or changed. The difference is that back then, we usually didn't find out until the game was released (or very close to it, if you followed some of the magazines), whereas here we're getting sneak previews of some of these alterations months in advance. It really stimulates interest, and makes me look forward to read the next blog entry to find out what they're doing to freshen up another character.

aktham

Holy crap! Ken sounds a little TOO good if you ask me. Giving him his "Super version" dp and timing is not as strict = fireball trap all day everyday.

Edit: I think I know what they're doing....making every character top S or A rank in order to balance the game

Top Bottom