• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix thread

AMUSIX

OatmealMu said:
Blanka:
67150982dc766304e08212fd6a729245.png
It is me, or is Blanka's foot on backwards? Looks like his biggest toe is on the outside, and that the toes rake from right to left rather than from left to right.

Also, no Cammy win-pose, huh? Or her spinning arrow pose?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait, so are all of these pictures from the real deal?

joaomgcd

Darkpen said:
are the pink supposed to represent collision boxes or are they just there for transparency? D:

The layer in the PSDs is called "Tile boundaries", so it may be the collision boxes.

Some small animations:

sagat.gif

sagat1.gif

sagat2.gif

vega.gif

ryu.gif

dhalsim.gif

cammy.gif

cammy1.gif

cammy2.gif

cammy3.gif

cammy4.gif

joaomgcd said:
The layer in the PSDs is called "Tile boundaries", so it may be the collision boxes.

No, it's the tiles that comprise the sprite. The sprite is divided into tiles, the tiles with no image in them are discarded. All the white areas are just the tiles with no data, the magenta is transparency for the tiles with data.

Remember when Capcom said they were supposed to have a direct-feed video of this but their "equipment" screwed up or something. I just think it's really unfortunate that Capcom has to order custom-built parts from Antarctica. They must've spent at least a week looking for Ostrich blood to power their magic electro machine to build a transfer cable. Oh wait, they're a bunch of fucking LIARS.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Darkpen said:
are the pink supposed to represent collision boxes or are they just there for transparency? D:

Its probably for both, thats a usual thing to in games and movies (as far as pink goes, neon blue or green works too)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
PBMax said:
Am I the only one who thinks the original sprites looked much better?
Don't give me that shit.

Just because I'm feeling nostalgic and stuff, can someone post me the old artwork pic of Sagat doing the 1 finger pushup (legs elevated like on stairs or another platform)? Need to get that again and make it my background.

OatmealMu said:
There's definitely some weirdness going on in a few of the drawings, Dhalsim, in particular. Here's the archive[/URL][/U]

Thanks alot Oatmeal! :D

Sometimes tells me that this leak is going to follow Vegas slogan: What happens in NeoGAF stays in NeoGAF.

So far, i haven't seen it in other sites (and i don't wanna see it in other sites).

Thanks once again!

AHH WTF IS UP WITH HIS NAILS!

Barakov

shagg_187 said:
AHH WTF IS UP WITH HIS NAILS!

Indeed. It kinda screams "emo goth kid sitting in his room plotting his revenge against some people who may or may not have insulted him".

spoon!

PBMax said:
Am I the only one who thinks the original sprites looked much better?

Yes, you're the first person in this entire thread to complain about the sprites. Thank you for bringing this point up for all of us to consider.

Propagandhim said:
Remember when Capcom said they were supposed to have a direct-feed video of this but their "equipment" screwed up or something. I just think it's really unfortunate that Capcom has to order custom-built parts from Antarctica. They must've spent at least a week looking for Ostrich blood to power their magic electro machine to build a transfer cable. Oh wait, they're a bunch of fucking LIARS.

This made me chuckle. It is late, hehe.

Icarus

rance said:
Aww :(

In all seriousness, it's basically just a re-skin isn't it? $10 sounds just fine for that.

If you think it's just a reskin, you haven't been reading this thread for long have you? Think of what the costs on this thing must be. 2D art is expensive (more so than 3D these days).

BTW, I'm mostly liking what I'm seeing in those leaked sprites. Obviously some are very work in progress, but very promising (especially Vega!).

def sim

Icarus said:
If you think it's just a reskin, you haven't been reading this thread for long have you? Think of what the costs on this thing must be. 2D art is expensive (more so than 3D these days).

Nope, haven't been reading the thread until recently actually. Are they adding new stuff other than the obvious facelift?

Though telling me how development is expensive isn't really going to convince me that it's worth more than $10 really. I'm sure the PoP XBLA game was expensive to update as well but that was still priced at a nice 800 points.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
MicVlaD said:

How could anyone hope to compete with art like that? That's even more amazing than T.Hawk's head in SSFII.

Xtyle

as a 2d animator, some of this animation is a little jumpy for me...some of the details/forms aren't transitioned very well between frames...

edit...too much popping...if you know 2D animation at all, you will know that if some frames are too different/inconsistent from others, they tend to pop out. I don't know if the original is to blame or Undon...I do know that the more details there are, they harder it is to make it look good/consistent.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
rance said:
But Ryu looks so damn happy! That's cheering me right the fuck up.

It looks like someone put a wig on a Jack-O-Lantern.

TAJ

bigben85 said:
as a 2d animator, some of this animation is a little jumpy for me...some of the details/forms aren't transitioned very well between frames...

3fps (excuse me, "on eights" lol) animation is jumpy? I'm shocked.

Xtyle

TAJ said:
3fps animation is jumpy? I'm shocked.

read what I said.

even if it is just KEY frames, it still be can consistent and not so jumpy...if you have not studied 2D animation..shut up. I have.

some of the details there on the characters are not very consistent or just plain wrong on some frames (again, I didn't check to see if they are because of the original or Udon's fault.)

look at Dhalsim rotation attack...look at the legs and the cloth on his feet...there is 1 frame the curve that is drawn opposite compared to others, that cause it to JUMP/POP...their intention maybe for perspective etc, but in this case...just looks awkward. Look at Akuma's uppercut, look at his right arm/hand...a bit too jumpy (EVEN FOR KEY FRAMES IT CAN BE SMOOTH AS LONG AS IT IS CONSISTENT).

TAJ

bigben85 said:
read what I said.

even if it is just KEY frames, it still be consistent and not so jumpy...if you have not studied 2D animation..shut up. I have.

They have to match the hit boxes from the original game. At best, the animation can only be as smooth as the original's. What, you didn't read the thread? Yeah, STFU.
EDIT: Nice stealth edit.

Xtyle

TAJ said:
They have to match the hit boxes from the original game. At best, the animation can only be as smooth as the original's. What, you didn't read the thread? Yeah, STFU.

I know the hit box etc...not suggesting anything too drastic...but within the limits, all this can be smoothed out. If you don't know about 2d animation or haven't picked up a pencil and animated on paper on a light box...I suggest you STFU

Character rotation is a huge subject in studying 2D animation and looking at the Dhalsim rotation drawings, there are too many awkward issues.

Another huge issues when animating in 2D is maintaining MASS. when things are moving in perspective, or stretched, squashed, the mass needs to be consistent and realistic.
Here, Things (muscles, clothes) are growing and shrinking instead of looking like moving, shifting naturally...I give this a 7/10.

rance said:
Nope, haven't been reading the thread until recently actually. Are they adding new stuff other than the obvious facelift?

Though telling me how development is expensive isn't really going to convince me that it's worth more than $10 really. I'm sure the PoP XBLA game was expensive to update as well but that was still priced at a nice 800 points.
They've added a rebalanced version of the game, which is pretty damn intriguing.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Icarus said:
2D art is expensive (more so than 3D these days).

That is incorrect.

2D art as, lets say the latest Castlevania for the DS is cheaper and faster than 3D.

Now, High-res 2D with next-gen level of animations IS more expensive, but this remake doesn't qualify for that. Its not so making the sprites, snce if its low-res its not so expensive to do, 3,4 drawings per move and 15 or so for a walking cycle, its making them fluid that makes it all so expensive, because the required number of frames to draw jumps trough the roof, and so does the cost.

This project, given the fact that the number of animations is small and there arent many inbetweens between poses, makes it pretty cheap. If they were going to give 3RD Strike the same treatment, then it would be very, VERY expensive.

By the way I still maintain that the old sprites looked better for their time. The new stuff is sharp and big, and thats nice, but for its time, the original SF2 stuff was much more impressive.

Xtyle

Raging Spaniard said:
That is incorrect.

2D art as, lets say the latest Castlevania for the DS is cheaper and faster than 3D.

Now, High-res 2D with next-gen level of animations IS more expensive, but this remake doesn't qualify for that. Its not so making the sprites, snce if its low-res its not so expensive to do, 3,4 drawings per move and 15 or so for a walking cycle, its making them fluid that makes it all so expensive, because the required number of frames to draw jumps trough the roof, and so does the cost.

This project, given the fact that the number of animations is small and there arent many inbetweens between poses, makes it pretty cheap. If they were going to give 3RD Strike the same treatment, then it would be very, VERY expensive.

By the way I still maintain that the old sprites looked better for their time. The new stuff is sharp and big, and thats nice, but for its time, the original SF2 stuff was much more impressive.

They were more impressive because no matter how low res, less detailed they were, they had fluid animation....this remake, despite it being high res and more detailed, some animation principle here is plainly wrong.

Top Bottom