• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Trusty Bell/Eternal Sonata TGS gameplay love-thread (read rules)

duckroll

img_10.jpg

Okay, after absorbing all the info from TGS about the playable demo, I have a pretty good idea of the gameplay systems in the game shown so far and it's time to feel the LOVE! :D

Before we begin, here are two rules:

1) No quality comparison arguments about other RPGs. We don't need "Blue Dragon looks better" or "OMG WHITE KNIGHT STORY!!!" or "Lost Odyssey and FFXIII look better than this!" here. If you want to say that you think another game is better, and feel that is all you have to contribute to this thread, hit back instead.

2) No Scamco nonsense here. I know I'm one of the most vocal against Namco Hometek on this forum, but once again, we don't need that crap here. However you feel about the name change or whatever potential changes - take it to another thread.

Okay with that out of the way let's begin. From the Eternal Sonata PR, here's what they said:

With a host of impressive next generation features such as a unique monster morphing system, a hybrid of a turn-based and action battle system with a special attack feature dependent on light and shadow, Eternal Sonata will set a new standard for next-generation RPG gaming.

Key points:

- unique monster morphing system
- a hybrid of a turn-based and action battle system
- a special attack feature dependent on light and shadow

But what do they mean?! After looking at the MS Conference trailer and the 3 available gameplay footages available (Gamevideo, Xboxyde, IGN), this is what the battle engine is like:

Enemies are visible on the map, and you run into them to start encounters. The transition is seamless with no loading. Really smooth. Each battle field has really nice lighting with areas clearly laid out in shadow. This is simply a cleverly natural way to use the environment and graphical effects to divid the battlefields into light areas and shadow areas however...

The game is turn-based, with each character's turn having a bar on the left side of the screen that resembles an AP bar from strategy rpgs. As you move on the field, use items or use attacks (normal or special), AP is drains. You can pull off combos by attacking repeatedly as long as the bar isn't empty too.

You move with the analog pad, A pulls off a normal attack, B defends, X uses the selected item which you select with L and R shifts. Finally, Y pulls off the character's special attack. This is the first part where light and shadow comes into play. For example Allegreto's normal special attack is Sun Slash, but if he moves under the cover of shade, it changes to Void Edge. Hence where he moves determines which special attack he will pull off.

Here are examples of the special attacks changing:

Sun Slash to Void Edge (Allegreto)

--------->

Orange Cure to Shade Comet (Polka)

--------->

Blast Fire to Solid Shooter (Pete)

--------->

When it comes to the time for an enemy move, the enemy too has a bar that drains as it moves and attacks. Since the computer does not need to stop and think, this plays out a lot faster. This is when the light and shadow comes into play again. Enemies have a light form which is smaller and cuter, and a shadow form which are much larger and more aggressive looking. Depending on whether their location on the field is under shade or not, their forms morph dynamically in realtime. It'll be good to lure an enemy from shade into the light to give yourself an easier time.

Here are examples of the transformations:

--------->

--------->

Out of the 3 characters in the TGS demo, Polka and Allegreto have melee attacks so you have to get close to an enemy to pull off offensive moves, but Pete uses a crossbow and is a range character. The "realtime" part of the PR refers to how all attacks are realtime relative of direction and location. So you can waste actions by attacking thin air if you're not careful about placement and the direction the character is facing.

Also attacking enemies from behind will deal more damage than attack from the front, and if you are able to pull off a long enough combo, there are also finishing strikes at the end of the combo string that does much more damage. Overall the game is shaping up to be a REALLY impressive RPG with a great battle system, GREAT environments and NO LOADING! :D

Those that have played Baten Kaitos should know what Tri-Crescendo is capable of, but it seems they've really outdid themselves this time. I really hope MS puts this demo on Marketplace, especially since the demo is tailor-made for TGS (the characters even introduce you to the game and Tri-Crescendo at the start) and it would make a great surprise to a rather disappointing Bring it Home campaign so far...

Update:

Now you can get HD (subscribers) or SD (free members) footage of Trusty Bell with audio and a good player at the controller here - http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/trustybellchopinnoyume/media.html

Especially recommended is the second video for example of the realtime enemy morphing mentioned.

Update 2: The game also features a combo system!

The game's combo system is represented by a chain bar (displayed as a bunch of stars starting at the bottom right of the screen) that grows as you use only regular attacks. At first each 4-hit combo will increment the bar by one star, and later it grows only with each successful 8-hits, and so on.

The combos stay even after enemy turns, so as long as you don't use a special attack, the chain keeps building. The combo chain stays even if you use non-offensive specials (like Polka's Orange Cure) and items. It appears that the chain bar might be linked to the power of special attacks, because with the bar at 32-hits, Polka's Shade Comet did over 800 damage, but afterwards it only did about 120 damage.

This system is especially visible on the 4th Gamespot video in the battle against the boss.

Sources:

Xboxyde - http://www.xboxyde.com/news_3507_en.html
IGN - http://media.xbox360.ign.com/media/761/761569/vids_1.html
Gamevideos - http://download.gamevideos.com/6325/gv.com.trustytgs_320x180.flv

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
That sound REALLY cool actually. Ads alot more strategy to the JRPG formula. If you are correct (sounds like you know what your talking about) this just vauled up my most wanted list.

Do we have any Japanese or US release dates?

Acosta

I just saw the videos and the graphics were awesome. The systems look really interesting and I especially liked the expresivity of the faces when they were chatting the first minute in xboxyde video.

Definetely promising. I liked Baten Kaitos, so I expect much of this game now.

ethelred

tri-Crescendo is all kinds of awesome, and Trusty Bell / Eternal Sonata should end up being a truly fantastic RPG. I'll be grabbing my 360 as soon as this one ships to US stores. There's no way any true RPG fan can pass up this kind of stuff.

Llyranor

Okay, I just saw the Xboxhyde clip. Looks like combat could be lots of fun. This and White Knight are duking it out for best nextgen RPG for now.

kevm3

This new generation was made for rpgs. I've always felt a bit of disappointment in the PS2 era of rpgs graphically. While the models did get better, I've felt that the backgrounds took a big hit compared to many of the offerings in the PSX era, which used prerendered backgrounds. Now, not only do we get good looking character models, but we get backgrounds that are stunning as well. The backgrounds here almost look hand painted.

Orodreth

StoOgE said:
That sound REALLY cool actually. Ads alot more strategy to the JRPG formula. If you are correct (sounds like you know what your talking about) this just vauled up my most wanted list.

Yep, thanks for the very well laid out explanation. The game looks even more interesting.

Japanese/asian release date ? and possiblity to include english subs?

Orodreth

Kal said:
Slightly OT (sorry duckroll :p) this pic reminds me of the first room/shop in Guadosalam in FFX(I might be wrong though)

I´m playing it now and although i havent reached that location there has been a shop that yes, looked quite simmilar.

sangreal

This thread inspired me to watch the gameplay video from xboxy and wow, I'm much more interested in this game than I was before. The screenshots weren't doing it for me. Everything seemed really smooth and polished and the combat system looked pretty fun

StoOgE said:
Do we have any Japanese or US release dates?

All we know is 2007 in NA. I have no idea about Japan

sangreal said:
This thread inspired me to watch the gameplay video from xboxy and wow, I'm much more interested in this game than I was before. The screenshots weren't doing it for me. Everything seemed really smooth and polished and the combat system looked pretty fun

All we know is 2007 in NA. I have no idea about Japan

I honestly hope they aim for the summer as everyone else seems to be aimed at the christmas season.

Might as well repost the pics from the other thread...

1099_0015.jpg

1099_0023.jpg

1099_0003.jpg

1099_0006.jpg

1099_0017.jpg

1099_0002.jpg

1099_0005.jpg

1099_0009.jpg

1099_0011.jpg

1099_0010.jpg

1099_0013.jpg

I think I may be coming around on this. Grandia and Tales are definately not my favorite in the genre and this looks like a combination of both but I'm jonesin' for a next gen RPG that isn't Oblivion or, ugh, Enchanted Arms.

looks nice, but I dislike the character design (rather generic anime) and the girls voice actor is terrible...I suppose the rpg is attuned to my taste. but I cant deny it looks nise and vibrant

peace

Llyranor

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
I think I may be coming around on this. Grandia and Tales are definately not my favorite in the genre and this looks like a combination of both but I'm jonesin' for a next gen RPG that isn't Oblivion or, ugh, Enchanted Arms.
Heh. Grandia and Tales have my favorite battle systems for traditional JRPGs, so this looks really neat.

MrSingh

Spoke to a bunch of Japanese 360 owners and they said this is the most interesting 360 game at the show.

I'm surprised by the quality of the cell shaded style graphics. Namco's Idol Master had great cell shaded graphics too.

duckroll

Here are examples of the transformations:

--------->

--------->

And here are examples of the special attacks changing:

Sun Slash to Void Edge (Allegreto)

--------->

Orange Cure to Shade Comet (Polka)

--------->

Blast Fire to Solid Shooter (Pete)

--------->

Lain

Seeing the gameplay video made me consider to get a X360.
Altho i am kinda annoyed about the transition for battles.
It's something i wish would go away for next-gen RPGs.

duckroll

sangreal said:
do any of the videos show the transformation?

You can see the special attack listed on the menu below changing in realtime as characters move under shade in the Xboxyde gameplay video, in the second battle in the later half of the video. The monster morphing is seen in the official trailer at IGN, and the realtime effect is dazzling. There's also a split-second of monster morphing in the Gamevideos footage, but the guy kills the monster right after.

careksims

I was saying to myself that this is how most RPGs should look for now on or if there were remakes of older games like Grandia 1 and 2. Clean, vibrant and beautiful. You could see how the shadows of trees rustle and the what look like dandelions flying out into the wind. The cel-shading is wonderful and the way the characters acted during cut scenes are great. I really hope they include Japanese with English subs like what Enchant Arms did. I hope 2007 it will come out.

Looks great interms of backgrounds but has AWFUL AWFUL animation honestly running and turning around looks horrible, they better fix that shit.

duckroll

Holy shit, I just noticed that in the Gamevideos thread, the monster actually transformed for a split second after its turn because during its turn while it was attacking it landed on the shadow of Polka! :lol

If that's true, and not a ****up, that means since all the shadows of objects are cast in realtime, enemies could morph other enemies by simply moving to position their shadows over them! :O

Edit: I see several posters like to enter threads and post before reading anything. Guys, this thread has rules, if you don't follow them...... :lol

jimbo

Banned
Wow this game is gorgeous. It has all the wonderfull art direction the old 2d games did, but none of the hardware limitations that took away from it, like we saw in cell shading last gen. It's just so hard to believe what I'm looking at is actually 3D. This is the first game where I have seen this many screens and I have yet to see an object, that I can point at and go hey...I can see it's made from polygons. It's like a painting. The battle system sounds incredible too.

OT: Are there any new pictures of Infinite Undiscovery? That game's look appeals even more to me. It looked like CG but not plastic. Could someone please start a thread kind of like this and post some pics of that too? I'm at work, so I can't really do it.

Madrin

That battle system sounds very similar to one I idly thought up a couple of years ago. I'm really looking forward to playing this.

Oh yeah, and the graphics rock.

Rahul

duckroll said:
Holy shit, I just noticed that in the Gamevideos thread, the monster actually transformed for a split second after its turn because during its turn while it was attacking it landed on the shadow of Polka! :lol

If that's true, and not a ****up, that means since all the shadows of objects are cast in realtime, enemies could morph other enemies by simply moving to position their shadows over them! :O

Edit: I see several posters like to enter threads and post before reading anything. Guys, this thread has rules, if you don't follow them...... :lol

I'm sure there would be spells availabe which can alter the lightsource position if you're in a dungeon, or possibly call clouds to get in the way of the sun, etc. Time of day would influence shadow size as well so fighting at/near nighttime is more dangerous?

Lots of cool ideas to think of when you base a battle system around shadows.

What about if you're out in the country and the clouds are casting shadows on the fields, like they do in FF Crystal Chronicles? Moving shadows could be pretty hectic.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The battle system looked like Baten Kaitos + Star Ocean + Tales of for me.

jj984jj said:
The battle system looked like Baten Kaitos + Star Ocean + Tales of for me.

yeah honestlly, if they renamed this Tales of Sonata or whatever I wouldn't flinch

But I agree, this looks amazing. Even Sakuraba's music sounds wonderful. The battle system looks fresh, too. I can't stop loving the world, though; easily the most attractive thing of the game.

clashfan

The art direction of the game looks great! I'm just concern the ingame animation looks a little strange. The character looks like he is skating when he is running. Hope they improve that. Any US release date info?

Pimpwerx

I think this game looks amazing. I think next-gen cel-shaded games are gonna be the way to go for rpgs. It just seems to compliment the fantasy theme better. PEACE.

Rahul

Guys this thread is about the GAMEPLAY of Eternal Sonata, not its next-gen graphics or anime character design. Please stay on target. You're making duckroll sad :(

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
That sounds pretty good. Nice job, ducky.

Can't wait to see more and more as time goes on.

JoeFenix

Shane says this game looks like a DC game in the latest 1up show.

Right.......honestly could that guy be any more delusional? :lol

JMPovoa

After seeing many of the videos out there i can't help but remember of Grandia2 for the dreamcast (and that's a good thing). From the way your character moves in the world to the battles, it has that same kind of feeling.

duckroll

Teasel said:
does this mean that if you are going to enter in a cave you are ****ed? :D

That does appear to be the case, BUT don't forget, if it's all in shadow your characters have stronger (at least I assume they're stronger) special attacks. At least for Polka, her special changes from a cure spell in light to an offensive attack in shadow. It'll be interesting if you can customize the light/dark special each character is equipped with as you get more throughout the game too, that better be the case. :)

Orodreth

Teasel said:
does this mean that if you are going to enter in a cave you are ****ed? :D

It can get pretty interesting and interactive if there are other light sources like torches, or even the characters themselves casting light spells, that also affect the morphing.

Top Bottom