• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official U.S. Playstation Magazine - December 2006

Kittonwy

Banned
PhatSaqs said:
Surprised Resistance didnt get a 10.

Not really surprised, Okami got a 9 as well and is basically the best game on the PS2, not to mention the best game in its genre thus far.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
sangreal said:
I don't really know what to say about it. They say it took about 12 hours to complete but they found significant replay value (in the form of additional weapons and completing the story). They said they had minor complaints, mostly with the thin story and lack of online co-op. Also, they found the enemy variety lacking (there is a large variety of enemies, but you mostly encounter minor variations of the same enemy). Other than that, the review is really positive as the reviewer walks you threw a few minutes of the game. The reviewer says he was most impressed by the game's "very topmost level design. I'm talking about basic pacing, balance, sound design--that sort of thing."
Sounds good, thanks man. :)
The 'thin story' line kinda gets me worried cause I was expecting a pretty good story with the narration and everything, but everything else sounds good and what I expected. thanks again.

Kittonwy

Banned
Magicpaint said:
No and no.

Is there a better game on the PS2? Game design-wise I don't think there's really anything better in the genre.
indifferent.gif

sangreal

Oops, I forgot about the other resistance article

Resistance MP:
-40 players
-Ranked or custom games.
--Ranked games use matchmaking. As you increase your rank you can "unlock new skins for online play, and earn accessories to help customize your character."
-Six game types
--FFA Deathmatch, Team Deathmatch, CTF.
--Breach: destroy the enemy's base
--Meltdown: Battlefield-style
--Conversion: You have two lives basically. You are human until you die and then you are a Chimera hybrid until you die again
-Humans and hybrids have different abilities.
--Humans have radar and sprint
--Hybrids have a "rage mode" that allows them to see through walls, move faster and do extra damage. Using this mode drains your health (the magazine says "Rage mode will eventually cause the hybrid to lose health" so I don't know if it is a continual drain or it kicks in after awhile)
-Every human vs. hybrid match is atleast two rounds with sides switching after every round because Insomniac recognizes players will find ways to exploit one side over the other
-Insomniac promises a halo-style stat tracking website

Interview:
-PS2->PS3 is the biggest leap in processing power between generations he has ever seen
-720p because of memory limitations. They would have needed to restrict the large environments to move to 1080p
-He expects second-generation games to take an additional leap beyond what we see now. For some reason he says you may not see that for 360 titles, but qualifies that with "but w'ere not a 360 developer, so I can't really say." He says it is more important that games are fun

sangreal

MirageDwarf said:
Only one PS3 game review!!

U.S. will have major share of PS3 allotment and yet official U.S. Playstation magazine can not get games for review.

Since they do not have reviews, they list each launch game with the following info: resolution, sixaxis support, online and must buy (yes or no) along with a very small (<100 words) review

Draft

sangreal said:
-He expects second-generation games to take an additional leap beyond what we see now. For some reason he says you may not see that for 360 titles, but qualifies that with "but w'ere not a 360 developer, so I can't really say." He says it is more important that games are fun
:lol , don't forget to toe the company line.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Ace Combat X: Skies of Deception - 6

OH HELL NO!

The person who reviewed Ace Combat X? I want you to get this f*** where he breathes! I want you to find this nancy-boy, I want him DEAD! I want his family DEAD! I want his house burned to the GROUND! I wanna go there in the middle of the night and I wanna PISS ON HIS ASHES!

btrboyev

well, apparantly that guy hasn't seen gears of war yet, because that is a huge leap beyond any current x360 software out there right now. Sounds like resistence is a great game though.

sangreal

Insane Metal said:
Could u please post the R:FoM review for us ? Or at least a summary on the most important things about the game ? :)

Against the rules I am afraid:

D. Copyrighted Material

The posting of full transcriptions of articles and whole or partially-scanned images is not allowed. Users in breach of this rule are subject to banning, although a verbal warning may be administered for a first offense. The posting of review scores (without text), news summaries, rumors, and review paraphrasing is acceptable, as long as credit is given to the original source.

Ryu

DarienA said:
OH HELL NO!

The person who reviewed Ace Combat X? I want you to get this f*** where he breathes! I want you to find this nancy-boy, I want him DEAD! I want his family DEAD! I want his house burned to the GROUND! I wanna go there in the middle of the night and I wanna PISS ON HIS ASHES!

Nice Untouchables reference. I salute you, sir, and I wish to hear about the reason why it got a 6... :/

sangreal

GashPrex said:
uh what? think you should read that more closely

uh what? I already summarized the review. Did I not include enough out of context argument material for you guys or something?

Here, have it:
It's not the greatest first-person shooter ever devised, nor is it a revolutionary leap forward in technology. Its graphics won't make your brain explode, nor will they make you think you're living in the fourth dimension.

sangreal

Wollan said:
Type out the last review paragraph please. :)

Sure thing:

To me, though, these are minor quibbles. The bottom line is that Resistance is a truly excellent FPS, rich in variety, atmosphere, and sheer entertainment. With a launch game this good, I can only imagine what untapped power lurks in the PS3's innards.

Also, did they comment on how the game evolved?

I don't know what you mean, sorry

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
12 hours is pretty good for a single player part of a FPS, the online should last a good while after as well :)

when does the magazine hit stores? is there any new pictures of the game?

Just read the Ace Combat review. He basically says that it is more of the same, and the series is heading towards a Dynasty Warriors level of milkage. He also says that the new features (parts and AI tweaking) are just "one more menu screen" and do not majorly influence the gameplay.

Wollan

sangreal said:
I don't know what you mean, sorry

Did he mention anything about later levels? Is it alien hq stuff or.. I don't know. You said he said there was a lot of variety but did he hint on what starts to come at the end?

Kittonwy said:
Is there a better game on the PS2? Game design-wise I don't think there's really anything better in the genre.
indifferent.gif

Come on man, I know you love Zelda. On the PS2 there isn't anything better. But Okami was not as good as Zelda at least IMO.

sangreal

Wollan said:
Did he mention anything about later levels? Is it alien hq stuff or.. I don't know. You said he said there was a lot of variety but did he hint on what starts to come at the end?

Hmm, I don't think so. Maybe someone else who read it can chime in

He does say this about the progression though:
That fine sense of high design extends into level structure as well. All of the settings in Resistance--11 separate areas divided into about 30 chapters--exhibit impressive variety; you move from tightly enclosed spaces to wide-open fields of battle and back again. And while the levels are actually fairly linear, clever design tricks make them feel extremely open.

Nice reviews on Resistance so far but isn't this pretty much what we all expect. A game that hovers around high eights and low nines. So I can't say I'm surprrsed. Still I might get it just cause it is the showpiece of the PS3.

Ganondorfo

Tales of the abyss a 5, damn what a world we are living in where "magazine give only jrpgs who have the name final fantasy high points".

I don't think resistance will be that good, come on it's from the makers of ratchet and clank, which got worse by every sequel. They give it a 9, or else no one will buy the ps3 (exaggerating, but you know what I mean).

sangreal

Angelcurio said:
A perfect Score O_O
"In case you haven't gotten the point by now, Guitar Hero II rocks. It rocks hard. It bests the original in nearly every way, and that's a damn hard thing to do."

Vyse The Legend said:
Just read the Ace Combat review. He basically says that it is more of the same, and the series is heading towards a Dynasty Warriors level of milkage. He also says that the new features (parts and AI tweaking) are just "one more menu screen" and do not majorly influence the gameplay.

Yeah more of the same...just like all those other Ace Combat games on the PSP...which of course don't exist.

Whatajackass.

Busty

Banned
Hey sangreal

Not sure if this applies to the thead or not, but does this magazine have a rumours section? And if so, could you be so kind as to post them.....

If not. Thanks anyway. It's appreciated.

NME said:
A 3 for Mortal Kombat? Good lord. Put the series to rest already.

Apparently the next game is suppose to get a complete overhaul. They stuffed all the characters that have been in the series into this MK as a send off to how the series has been.

Total assholes. I'd like to have some words with the one who 'reviewed' Abyss. Actually, just words from him trying to make me stop hitting his balls repeteadly with a 5kg hammer.

sangreal said:
They said they had minor complaints, mostly with the thin story and lack of online co-op. Also, they found the enemy variety lacking (there is a large variety of enemies, but you mostly encounter minor variations of the same enemy). "

Now that is surprising. Both the thin story and the lack of enemy variety.

sangreal

Busty said:
Hey sangreal

Not sure if this applies to the thead or not, but does this magazine have a rumours section? And if so, could you be so kind as to post them.....

If not. Thanks anyway. It's appreciated.

OPM does not, to my knowledge, have a rumor section

jjasper

Draft said:
:lol , don't forget to toe the company line.

What the Sony is paying his company shittons of money to make the game and they get free marketing too line. Who wouldn't tow that line?

Ceb

AltogetherAndrews said:
Now that is surprising. Both the thin story and the lack of enemy variety.

I'm not surprised about the thin story. Feels like we know pretty much everything there is to know already, save for some specifics on Hale...

Regarding the enemies, I guess the rumor about the pro-Chimera human faction was bollocks...

Top Bottom