• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official video: Xbox One coming to China.

Raide

pricing is the big factor... Lifetime sales could comfortably surpass 20 million if they keep price of gold and games on the low end... If I was in charge I would even contemplate letting them have gold for free

Do Microsoft have azure servers in china?

Yes. Only recently announced, so at least they are planning ahead now.

Azure China.

DC R1D3R

Banned
DIdnt Nintendo already try to get into the Chinese market with this?

C-124-H-00010-A_00.jpg

historically, the Chinese are kinda weary of Japanese market invaders.

Raide

That's huge

China probably have a lot of control over the data too. Its why U may never see Nintendo or sony over there, they can't provide servers on that scale

Pretty big yeah. Again, other people can use those servers, so for MS its a Win-win regardless of how the Xbox One does. I wonder how many MMO's providers are going to be approached by MS now for the China market?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
"It would be cool if I could buy a console through legitimate channels"

Very cool. Don't copy that floppy.

its the Chinese mainland
Xbox One to be sold in Chinese mainland from September
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/business/2014-04/30/c_133301213.htm

and they are now coming to 42 countries in September
Microsoft's Xbox One will also debut in 42 other countries this September, including India, Japan, Korea, and Singapore. Previously, only 26 markets had been confirmed.
http://www.cnet.com/news/xbox-one-to-be-available-in-china-in-september/

Wow no wonder PS4 has big numbers, MS haven't launched in ALOT of places!

KoopaTheCasual

Nice to have an official video. Yes, the consoles are anecdotally widely available in mainline China already, but the power of marketing is strong. Having xbox commercials and big banners all over the cities will help move a few hundred thousand. Hopefully this venture leads to a couple million throughout the generation.

Wow no wonder PS4 has big numbers, MS haven't launched in ALOT of places!
I really hope people don't honestly believe those markets mean nearly as much to MS as they do to Sony.

zhao3gold

Banned
The lifetime sales of Xbox One in China might be even less than 100K because:

1. Most of Chinese gamers are PC gamers who always play MMO games. It is not easy to convert them to TV gamers due to price and legal copies;

2. Most of Chinese TV gamers are Sony fans because they grew up with PS and PS2. The gamers grew up with Nintendo already left for their daily high stress life. A9VG is the most famous TV game forum in China. And there you can find in PS4 community, there are nearly 20K topics, but in Xbox One community, there are only less than 3K topics. These people will not buy Xbox One;

3. Chinese parents will not pay 4999 Yuan for a gaming console because in their mind, game is kind of electric drug and will affect their kids' study and lose the chance for good university.

Well, there are so many challenges ahead.

Sega used to make Sega Saturn official in China and then failed;
Sony used to make PS2 official in China and then failed;
Nintendo is making DS/3DS official in China, but didn't bring any significant revenue to them.

Let us see how Microsoft will do. But if Xbox One is sold at 4999 Yuan, then it will be DOA, not dead on arrival, but dead on announcement.

WarpathDC

Piracy is so rampant in china's game market it will be interesting to see the impact of legitimate console on the Chinese market.

It would be interesting to see how well the Xbox One and other consoles do in China. Maybe we'll see some new Chinese developers pop up creating some fresh-styles of games.

The Chinese want the best of the best for the lowest of the low. I don't see XONE taking off over there.

Well, PS4 is the more powerful console but MS havent announced a price for any of their additional territories so perhaps they have something planning on that side

Jburton

Banned
Everyone thought that Sony's ~3 million unit lead meant something. I can't wait to read the comments when MS sells 100 million units in China this year.

Are you for real?

Really grappling on to anything floating by at the minute this lot.

Nice to have an official video. Yes, the consoles are anecdotally widely available in mainline China already, but the power of marketing is strong. Having xbox commercials and big banners all over the cities will help move a few hundred thousand. Hopefully this venture leads to a couple million throughout the generation.

I really hope people don't honestly believe those markets mean nearly as much to MS as they do to Sony.
Every little bit counts. Its not like these countries don't matter

spwolf

It would be interesting to see how well the Xbox One and other consoles do in China. Maybe we'll see some new Chinese developers pop up creating some fresh-styles of games.

they will do good if they get games that Chinese like to play... and China is one of the biggest market for games right now, they already know what they want to play.

elelunicy

And not a single person in China who has the living room space for Kinect.

You realize you're talking about China, not Hong Kong or even Japan, right?

It's complete insanity to assume that 300M are even close to having disposable income for this.

The average annual income in 2012 for the country was a measly $2,100 dollars, while even in Shanghai it was $4,700.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/20/world/asia/survey-in-china-shows-wide-income-gap.html?_r=0

It's complete insanity to compare income directly across different countries. I would say half the country (600M~) could easily afford an Xbox One. The problem is Xbox One as a product ain't really compelling enough for most people there.

ClearData

From everything I've read China is an extremely difficult market for consoles to take hold in and the Chinese prefer PC and mobile. How exactly is a gargantuan, expensive, american console equipped with a camera that can phone home data to servers in the United States going to fly with Chinese consumers exactly? It also sounds like a few major titles run afoul of the government as well. Battlefield 4 being a recent example It'd be a nice for someone to crack that market but I don't see Microsoft doing it with the current xbox strategy.

Tsundere

Banned
It's complete insanity to compare income directly across different countries. I would say half the country (600M~) could easily afford an Xbox One. The problem is Xbox One as a product ain't really compelling enough for most people there.

What are you guys smoking, seriously?

elelunicy

What are you guys smoking, seriously?

You do realize China has a personal savings rate of over 50%, as in people who make $3000 a year are able to live off just $1500 a year while saving the rest of income into a bank account, right? There are tons of people in China who barely make $5000 a year but are totally willing to spend $3000 on a Chanel bag. $500 for an Xbox One? That's nothing if they truly want it.

weeeeezy

Banned
I love how a lot of people in this thread seem to know exactly what China wants and what they don't want. Let's just be patient and see how MS handles this, rather then assuming this is just a waste if time for them.

TomShoe

Banned
I love how a lot of people in this thread seem to know exactly what China wants and what they don't want. Let's just be patient and see how MS handles this, rather then assuming this is just a waste if time for them.

The signs are pointing in that direction. The Xbox costs a lot of money, money that we're not sure the Chinese middle class has.

You do realize China has a personal savings rate of over 50%, as in people who make $3000 a year are able to live off just $1500 a year while saving the rest of income into a bank account, right? There are tons of people in China who barely make $5000 a year but are totally willing to spend $3000 on a Chanel bag. $500 for an Xbox One? That's nothing if they truly want it.

I doubt that's the case but even if it is, why would the Chinese want an X1 when there's a much better and much more popular alternative in PC (which I believe is dominant over there).

And damn some people are are overestimating China's significance. And here I thought the TF super hype was pretty ridiculous

partridge

Ah, the The Legend of Sword and Fairy, aka Chinese Paladin franchise.

If I'm not wrong, the dev team is Taiwanese though, not mainland Chinese.
Softstar is headquartered in Taiwan, but only the first two games in the Chinese Paladin series were developed in Taiwan; all other games in the series (including the one in the linked YouTube video) were developed in either Shanghai or Beijing.

Incidentally, Softstar's Shanghai subsidiary disbanded after the release of Chinese Paladin 4, then reformed as a separate company (Shanghai Aurogon), and released this game: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gujian_Qitan

Softstar does have a team in Taiwan, known as the DOMO group, that still makes (single-player) entries to the famous Xuan-Yuan Sword series: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xuan-Yuan_Sword

The first Chinese Paladin game (developed in Taiwan), if web sources are to be trusted, was the first and one of the only original Chinese-language games to be released on a console (in this case, the Sega Saturn). A video game adaptation of the martial arts fantasy novel Eagle-Shooting Heroes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Legend_of_the_Condor_Heroes) was also produced by SCE Asia for the original PlayStation. Beyond these two games, I actually can't recall any other original Chinese-language games released on video game consoles, besides the occasional NES fan-hacks and Chinese language versions of games that were originally produced in Japanese or English (such as the Dynasty Warriors games).

numble

Again cars and phones don't really strike one as the same type of product as a game console, the former have fundamental functional rather than largely hedonic value.

83% of those 256M have a household income of <$16K. I don't know how many of those will be willing to spend 3+% of their total household income on a system to then spend even more on software for that system.

There's lots of potential there for luxury goods in the long run though obviously as the population continues to urbanize and grow in wealth.
The sales of iPhones and American cars, with their luxury markup, have more hedonic value than you would think. These are luxury sales--they can already go with a cheap local brand for a fraction of the price. Remember, iPhones have about a 20% markup compared to the US (cars have at least that or more), and they're buying them unsubsidized. I think they all share the same market. It's not like the iPhone or American cars are selling in the hundreds of millions. They target the middle class and are happy with the fractions that grow into larger sales with brand loyalty and conspicuous consumption.

Synth

I doubt that's the case but even if it is, why would the Chinese want an X1 when there's a much better and much more popular alternative in PC (which I believe is dominant over there).

This argument can be applied to any country in the world. Including those where console gaming is extremely popular.

Tsundere

Banned

You should visit China, you'll see how it really is.

m@cross

Man, I bet the Chinese govt. can not wait for people to buy a device they can hack into and listen to you with.....

I think whether this will be a big deal or not, this thread will probably be really funny to read in retrospect 3-5 years from now. Really curious to see how this will turn out.

Top Bottom