• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OFFICIAL Wii Retro Controller

LakeEarth

Setanta said:
New Disc Size comparison as well:

photo_disc.jpg
So they're doing DVDs? The future is now!

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
raYne said:
Not bad.. 'cept for the analog position
God damnit Nintendo :/

We need side and rear pics asap!
Agreed...They just had to take the absolute shittiest thing about the Dual Shock and use it. :(

dock

Why the hell does this have a wire?!?!?
I want either wireless or plug into the Wii.

Bollocks to this. I'm going to use my Wavebird.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Jive Turkey said:
Agreed...They just had to take the absolute shittiest thing about the Dual Shock and use it. :(

This controller is likely going to be used for games that came out pre-N64. Why in the hell would they put the analog stick in the primary thumb position?

dock UK said:
Why the hell does this have a wire?!?!?
I want either wireless or plug into the Wii.

Bollocks to this. I'm going to use my Wavebird.

THE FHC WIIMOTE PLUGS INTO THE BACK OF IT

Edit: Unconfirmed, can't read Japanese

Tumalu

Normally I'd be upset that they pulled a Sony and stuck the joystick in the wrong spot. But since this will primarily be used for SNES games (or NES), it's probably better the way it is. And the GameCube controller can always be used for N64 and GCN games.

ram

wow aside from the strange form, it looks like nintendo is copying sonys dualshock 2 controller. :lol

Pimpbaa

What's the point of the sony'ish dual analog placement? Will this controller work well for N64 and GC games?

Jive Turkey said:

yeah, basicaly what i was gonna say ....at least the sticks have ridges, so you wont slip off though. still sucks though :(

raYne

xsarien said:
This controller is likely going to be used for games that came out pre-N64. Why in the hell would they put the analog stick in the primary thumb position?
Putting the analog in the primary position doesn't affect pre-n64 games in the least. This discussion has been done to death so lets stay on topic.

Where are my pics Nintendo!?

xsarien

daedsiluap
raYne said:
Putting the analog in the primary position doesn't affect pre-n64 games in the least. This discussion has been done to death so lets stay on topic.

It makes using the d-pad a little less comfortable, and if (nearly) all the games we're going to be playing with the controller will be using the pad instead of the sticks, why give them priority?

It will work fine for N64/GC games, hell some GCN titles may now be a lot more playable with a decent d-pad (Soul Calibur 2 anyone?).

And DEATH to the GC orbit button layout.

raYne said:

I'm sure everyone loved the d-pad on the GC

jko

raYne said:
Not bad.. 'cept for the analog position
God damnit Nintendo :/

At first I was concerned as well for the N64/GC games, but I realised you could use the Wiimote for them. Problem solved.

raYne

xsarien said:
It makes using the d-pad a little less comfortable, and if (nearly) all the games we're going to be playing with the controller will be using the pad instead of the sticks, why give them priority?
*puts fingers in ears*

Lalalalala... more pics... lalalalala...

patrickthehedgehog said:
I'm sure everyone loved the d-pad on the GC
The size was the problem, not the position...

I'm sure you've heard that before..

Actually it's better that the d-pad gets primary positioning on the retro pad.

You can still use regular old GameCube controllers with the system too remember? So if you want to play with the analog in the primary position, just use the GCN pad.

The retro pad is very nice for NES/SNES and fighting games.

jko

soundwave05 said:
Actually it's better that the d-pad gets primary positioning on the retro pad.

You can still use regular old GameCube controllers with the system too remember? So if you want to play with the analog in the primary position, just use the GCN pad.

The retro pad is very nice for NES/SNES and fighting games.

OH! That too! YES!! :D

Ding ding ding...we have a winnar!! :)

Gio_CoD

Banned
Teddman said:
NEVER FORGET:

GA THREAD: Teddman reveals Revolution controller details! (July 22, 2005)

Obviously the prototype has undergone some revision since last summer, but you can see the basic design remained the same as I described it. :) :D :)
What? You said it looked just like a Wavebird. This looks nothing like a Wavebird. The only thing you got right was the diamond face buttons, and it wouldn't exactly take a super industry insider to realize that people weren't big fans of the kidney buttons on the Cube.

Teddman

Why thank you, kind sir. I did get a fair amount of guff for that back when it was posted so I had to bring it up (in fact I was banned over it :lol).

Haleon: at the time, I assume that is what they were working with in lieu of the final design which was revealed today. You don't believe that exact retro design was finished and set ten months ago, do you? I'm confident that what they started with for the retro controller was much closer to a WaveBird/GameCube pad design, in fact Miyamoto has said as much in past interviews.

Uhhh ... no.

You got the main Nintendo controller completely wrong ... infact, many of us with no "insider" sources speculated a single-handed gyro controller at that time.

And this retro pad isn't anything like the WaveBird either.

It's the classic SNES shape with two analog joysticks/triggers added.

What you predicted is basically the PS3 pad ... a regular controller with a tilt sensor thrown in.

Teddman

Guys, remember that back in July there wasn't even a "retro controller" or "traditional shell" even hinted at by Nintendo. People may have been speculating on the Rev's secret controller, but nobody thought it would also have a conventional option as well, so what I posted was unique in that way.

Whatever, 'nuff said...

Gio_CoD

Banned
Yeah, are you sure you weren't just drunk and actually did see the PS3 controller? That seems to fit your description more than this controller does.

The shoulder buttons interest me. It seems like there's four, but you press the second two with the tips of your fingers... interesting.

Ehh. I prefer the GCN face button layout, but considering this is used to play games from many systems I can accept the diamond configuration... right analog isn't always a great substitute for N64's C buttons, but usually it's fine. But no handles, funkily placed Z buttons, and a wire?

7 face buttons, 4 shoulder buttons, 2 joysticks...

But this is completely philosophically different from all those complicated controllers the other guys are using.

(I like it!)

Timbuktu said:
maybe the layout is so that it's completely symmetrical? So that lefties can just switch the bottons round?
Ehh, d-pad functions a bit differently than 4 separate buttons, though. Whereas an "A + Y" combination was easy on GameCube and a bit difficult on this controller, it's impossible with a d-pad.

xsarien

daedsiluap
the year 20XX said:
7 face buttons, 4 shoulder buttons, 2 joysticks...

But this is completely philosophically different from all those complicated controllers the other guys are using.

(I like it!)

Sarcasm aside, it needs to be compatible with (presumably) the NES, SNES, Genesis, Turbo Grafx, and whatever other consoles the VC will be emulating.

Hero

I love threads like these where we can see who the idiot posters are who can't even be bothered to click the link that says nintendo.com and verify the picture there but have the brashness to go "ZOMG FAKE!!!"

Also, this is the RETRO controller, why would you want the analog stick in the pimary position? N64 games will bet better off using GCN/Wii controller anyway. NES/SNES, but some people can't figure that out.

Please let this be a pack-in with the system though. I want 2D fighter support this gen.

G4life98 said:
<prays> PLEASE GOD NINTENDO PACK IT IN!!!!!!! <prays>

At this point, you'd need 2 Wiimotes, a nunchuk, and a classic controller to play everything. I'm guessing we'll get 1 Wiimote + 1 nunchuk and the rest will be delicious profit for Nintendo. Sucks.

{Mike}

Banned
Nothing beats the "omg fake" to "looks cool" opinion when proof show in yer faces that it is indeed true. AHAHA

Ristamar

the year 20XX said:
At this point, you'd need 2 Wiimotes, a nunchuk, and a classic controller to play everything. I'm guessing we'll get 1 Wiimote + 1 nunchuk and the rest will be delicious profit for Nintendo. Sucks.

Nothing they've demonstrated yet requires 2 remotes, and the fact that we know the attachment has an accelerometer makes 2 remotes even more unlikely.

Classic contoller probably won't be included, though, which is a bummer. They'll probably charge $20 for it. Of course, I'll still buy one. Or two. Bastards.

worldrunover said:
The shoulder buttons interest me. It seems like there's four, but you press the second two with the tips of your fingers... interesting.

Really, really interesting indeed... At the time the SNes pad was introduced shoulder buttons were a great innovation, allowing the player to push more than one button a time. Now this layout seems to bring the possibility of pushing even 2 shoulder buttons with 1 finger. This could bring new control designs for games using this "classic" pad, and this make me think (and hope) Nintendo will pack this in with the Wii (remember the rumoured 2nd controller inclusion?). Otherwise I don't even see the point of realize an innovative button layout if developers can't access it by default designing specific games (this could also be the only hope to see "classic" - but new - games on Wii i.e. 2d gameplay, etc.).

jgkspsx

Given that it has a cord, how do we know it doesn't plug into a Gamecube port?

Also, why didn't they come out with this, oh, about the same time as the Game Boy Player :p

Top Bottom