• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official (WW) Super Mario Galaxy Thread of Reunions, Forgiveness and Love

MisterHero

The Real Review?

1up-Galaxy.gif

1up said:
In short, Galaxy is one of the most impressive, engrossing games in recent memory -- and quite the contrast to the rest of this year's triple-A gaming crop, which tends toward the dark, the M-rated, and the first-person perspective. Gaming may be growing up (per se), but gamers will always appreciate beautifully polished gameplay and inventive design...even if it's sugarcoated with squeaky baby stars and a goofy cartoon of a hero. Galaxy proves that Mario matters just as much today as he did 25 years ago, and that makes him one of a kind in this medium. But don't play Galaxy simply because Mario is the timeless godfather of gaming. No, play Galaxy because it's fantastic.

I love you, Mario.

rhino4evr

OgnodoD said:
Why not a 10?

Edit: Nvm. Finally found a negative remark in the review.

It's NOT HD OH NOES

"Given the Wii's limitations, Galaxy's visuals are absolutely impressive -- especially when you notice that you can look around and see all of a galaxy's planets at once. Still, gamers with HD sets will find themselves wishing the Wii could output at a higher resolution"

crbowen

Only .5 better than Perfect Dark Zero?

Kidding, and i'm glad Jeremy put this in there:

In short, Galaxy is one of the most impressive, engrossing games in recent memory -- and quite the contrast to the rest of this year's triple-A gaming crop, which tends toward the dark, the M-rated, and the first-person perspective. Gaming may be growing up (per se), but gamers will always appreciate beautifully polished gameplay and inventive design...even if it's sugarcoated with squeaky baby stars and a goofy cartoon of a hero.

I'm 25 and Galaxy makes me feel like a giggling 5 year old. And damn it, i'm proud of it!

Dr.Hadji

OgnodoD said:
Why not a 10?

Edit: Nvm. Finally found a negative remark in the review.

Yah, I found it too.

Only in the latter half of the game does the design falter -- a copy-and-paste level here, too much doodad collecting there,

Fair enough. Hes a pretty tough reviewer but, in context to his other reviews, it is a fair one.

rhino4evr

sad to say that Im disappointed with the score. I mean Halo 3 has tons of flaws, so does so many other games. 1up is the only site that looks past the little shit, and still rates games a 10. I just don't get it, obviously I still have to play it, but overall Im quite surprised Mario didn't have enough charm to compete with the Next-Gen big boys. Sigh.

Dr.Hadji

rhino4evr said:
sad to say that Im disappointed with the score. I mean Halo 3 has tons of flaws, so does so many other games. 1up is the only site that looks past the little shit, and still rates games a 10. I just don't get it, obviously I still have to play it, but overall Im quite surprised Mario didn't have enough charm to compete with the Next-Gen big boys. Sigh.

1up isn't the reviewer, Jeremy is. 1up may have a broad general standard (if you think ts terrible <5, average 5, above average >5) but most of the review criteria pretty must rests on the reviewer. Look at Jeremy's review history if you feel you need some context.

Captain N

rhino4evr said:

I can say that so far this game is my favorite of the year. Of course there are still some more great games to come..so I'll wait until I get a chance to play those games as well as making it all the way through this one.

Captain N

I'll be sending updates to anyone who wants them on my time with Mario over the weekend. Let me know if you want my friend code.

ant1532

Banned
I FINALLY GOT TO PLAY IT!!!!

YES!!!!

I played it for about 40 minutes I think... Guess how many stars I got??
Only 1.

I spent the whole time in awe in amazement trying new things and spent at least 5 minutes on each planet, finding and trying everything I can, trying to get on top each house, trying to get to places you're not supposed to, and jumping over gaps which lead to blackholes just because it was so fun. When I got to the Observatory I was there for a hella long time. I climbed all the way up this one black tower which wasn't really open (the hubs lights areas and makes them accessible as you get stars) Then I tried to get on the star thing(looks like the sun, didn't pay much attention to story since I want to save that for when I get it) in the middle which I came so close to. Then when I got to the Good Egg Galaxy I spent another long ass time on the first planet lol, and then my friends called and I had to go meet em and there was this little kid with his dad and he was like "Oh! look it's Mario!" so I let him play. I'm so freaking happy though, I didn't want to progress to much, but I got my damn fill just messing around with things and now I don't feel the urge to watch any more media. This game is living up to my favorite game of all time(SM64)

I was disappointed with my the hookup though, they have a Samsung LCD without component cables... So honestly I wasn't very impressed with it at first at the Mushroom Kingdom stage but I think the graphics did look significantly better on the planets.

I wasn't disoriented at all at first on the planets as some people said they were but i don't know, that's just me. The backflip can bring you hella back now with great length compared to SM64, you can't do the back long jump trick anymore, Mario has to be in a full sprint to do a side somersault jump now too. Camera was never a problem. The d-pad camera options aren't always accessible though.

Oh yeah, the music notes are awesome too! I love how they play the song as you go and encourage you to get them in order. Crouch walking is hilarious. At the beginning of the intro stage if you go on the bridge to the right where a Toad says the view is beautiful the camera out zooms and gives you a nice look at the place. None of the houses are accessible there but all the toads have something to say. Some of the Toads in the intro are hilarious, when it gets under attack one toad is saying "Stay in my happy place"

My score for the game off 40 minutes of play and 1 star -

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
MisterHero said:
The Real Review?

1up-Galaxy.gif
Why else write an article originally entitled "10 reasons Super Mario Galaxy could be a perfect 10" if not to roll in the fanboys.

Xeke

Banned
ant1532 said:
I FINALLY GOT TO PLAY IT!!!!

YES!!!!

I played it for about 40 minutes I think... Guess how many stars I got??
Only 1.

I spent the whole time in awe in amazement trying new things and spent at least 5 minutes on each planet, finding and trying everything I can, trying to get on top each house, trying to get to places you're not supposed to, and jumping over gaps which lead to blackholes just because it was so fun. When I got to the Observatory I was there for a hella long time. I climbed all the way up this one black tower which wasn't really open (the hubs lights areas and makes them accessible as you get stars) Then I tried to get on the star thing(looks like the sun, didn't pay much attention to story since I want to save that for when I get it) in the middle which I came so close to. Then when I got to the Good Egg Galaxy I spent another long ass time on the first planet lol, and then my friends called and I had to go meet em and there was this little kid with his dad and he was like "Oh! look it's Mario!" so I let him play. I'm so freaking happy though, I didn't want to progress to much, but I got my damn fill just messing around with things and now I don't feel the urge to watch any more media. This game is living up to my favorite game of all time(SM64)

I was disappointed with my the hookup though, they have a Samsung LCD without component cables... So honestly I wasn't very impressed with it at first at the Mushroom Kingdom stage but I think the graphics did look significantly better on the planets.

I wasn't disoriented at all at first on the planets as some people said they were but i don't know, that's just me. The backflip can bring you hella back now with great length compared to SM64, you can't do the back long jump trick anymore, Mario has to be in a full sprint to do a side somersault jump now too. Camera was never a problem. The d-pad camera options aren't always accessible though.

Oh yeah, the music notes are awesome too! I love how they play the song as you go and encourage you to get them in order. Crouch walking is hilarious. At the beginning of the intro stage if you go on the bridge to the right where a Toad says the view is beautiful the camera out zooms and gives you a nice look at the place. None of the houses are accessible there but all the toads have something to say. Some of the Toads in the intro are hilarious, when it gets under attack one toad is saying "Stay in my happy place"

My score for the game off 40 minutes of play and 1 star -

Sounds awesome.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
rhino4evr said:

You should accept that no wii game will EVER get a 10. You have to remember that most big gaming sites bashed the hell out of the wii for months. It would require them to suck up their pride and get some humility to give any wii game a 10, so that won't happen. That would require them to have an ounce of maturity.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Slurpy said:
You should accept that no wii game will EVER get a 10. You have to remember that most big gaming sites bashed the hell out of the wii for months. It would require them to suck up their pride and get some humility to give any wii game a 10, so that won't happen. That would require them to have an ounce of maturity.

Do you really think Parish is anti-Nintendo?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at 32 stars now and this game seriously just keeps getting better. If I were to represent its fun factor with a graph, it would be a nearly vertical line starting from around stage 3 or 4. I have a constant grin on my face whenever I am going through a new stage. Something new is introduced in almost every level, its just amazing they were able to keep the experience so fresh throughout.

My only complaint so far is that the game seems to be kind of easy in comparison to Mario 64. Maybe its because I am older and better at video games now, but I haven't had any problems getting every star in the various galaxies so far. I'm still not finished, and I hear some of the "extra-stage" challenges are tough, but I remember it taking me a long time to perfect Mario 64 and finally get all of the stars. This is definitely a minor complaint, though, because the game definitely isn't overly simple or without its challenges.

If any game deserves a 10/10 so far this year, it is Super Mario Galaxy. I'm really glad I finally have something to play on my Wii other than VC games!

Dr.Hadji

Slurpy said:

Twilight Princess says hello.

Zefah said:
I'm at 32 stars now and this game seriously just keeps getting better. If I were to represent its fun factor with a graph, it would be a nearly vertical line starting from around stage 3 or 4. I have a constant grin on my face whenever I am going through a new stage. Something new is introduced in almost every level, its just amazing they were able to keep the experience so fresh throughout.

My only complaint so far is that the game seems to be kind of easy in comparison to Mario 64. Maybe its because I am older and better at video games now, but I haven't had any problems getting every star in the various galaxies so far. I'm still not finished, and I hear some of the "extra-stage" challenges are tough, but I remember it taking me a long time to perfect Mario 64 and finally get all of the stars. This is definitely a minor complaint, though, because the game definitely isn't overly simple or without its challenges.

If any game deserves a 10/10 so far this year, it is Super Mario Galaxy. I'm really glad I finally have something to play on my Wii other than VC games!
I'm in the same boat as you. I'm about 40 stars in and it does seem easier, but considering I was like 14 when I got Mario 64, I think my gaming sense has matured a bit and it is easier to pinpoint where I need to go and how to get to it. Figuring it out though is probably the most fun in this game considering the way everything is played out with gravity, etc.

The challenges are quite awesome though, such as the time attacks, racing to the star against a doppleganger and battling a mini-boss with only one life. There are a couple one-shot levels that gave me a problem initially but I overcame them with much delight.

Also,
the first battle against Bowser was pretty awesome and almost epic considering it was the first encounter. Running around the translucent planet trying to get him to stomp the panels with the lava under them was cool and being on that small planet made it really enjoyable.

It's going to be hard to top the level of satisfaction I've had in this game for a long time.

I'm excited for this game to be the game that finally renders review scores totally inert.

Actually no, I'm excited to play it though.

SantaC

I think I am now about halfthrough the game, and something just struck me. This game seems shorter than Super Mario Sunshine, yes it does. It usually takes a lot faster to get a star than it was to get a shine. Maybe it is just me, but I think so.

Either way it is really not a compliant since I am enjoying the game so much.

giggas

rhino4evr said:

You need to remember who reviewed the game. A 9.5 coming from Jeremy is a great score. He also reviewed Halo for EGM and gave that game a 9.0. So if you look at it in that way, then yeah, it did score better than Halo. At the end of the day though, who really cares? Galaxy is going to be incredible, no matter what number is attached to it.

I like the score, it's still well within the "margin of error"(when you factor in the human bias[not necessarily against the Wii and SMG] factor, etc) but it's a bit unnerving when you just wrote an article about how it could be a perfect 10 then slap it with a 9.5.

It's like, teasing someone with the most fantastic blowjob on their erect cock and once they're close, tell them to suit up because you just bought them a brand new house and you want to show it to them. It's still a fantastic outcome but I would have preferred me climaxing first, you swallowing and then tell me about the house.

titiklabingapat said:
I like the score, it's still well within the "margin of error"(when you factor in the human bias[not necessarily against the Wii and SMG] factor, etc) but it's a bit unnerving when you just wrote an article about how it could be a perfect 10 then slap it with a 9.5.

It's like, teasing someone with the most fantastic blowjob on their erect cock and once they're close, tell them to suit up because you just bought them a brand new house and you want to show it to them. It's still a fantastic outcome but I would have preferred me climaxing first, you swallowing and then tell me about the house.

dot dot dot

jay

titiklabingapat said:

fap fap fap

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
titiklabingapat said:

:\ Take that to the review thread.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Not reading that review thread anymore. I kinda reached my max toleration level with this 0.5 number crunching bullshit for every game that's released. It always brings out the worst this forum has to offer, besides the almost daily console war crap.

Thank god there are still official threads, lttp's and good general gaming threads, because it only takes a small misstep on the GAF battlefield to get hit by a stupidity shrapnel

Bebpo

Banned
I have about half the stars and am through about half the levels. Really just straight A++ throughout. Every star has been fun and filled with new gameplay ideas/challenges.

Only issue so far is with the camera and 99% of my camera complaints are when underwater. The camera + controls are sort of bad there and make them the least fun levels because of it. On land the camera is perfect the majority of the time.

mepaco

Darunia said:
Not reading that review thread anymore. I kinda reached my max toleration level with this 0.5 number crunching bullshit for every game that's released. It always brings out the worst this forum has to offer, besides the almost daily console war crap.

Thank god there are still official threads, lttp's and good general gaming threads, because it only takes a small misstep on the GAF battlefield to get hit by a stupidity shrapnel

QFT. It is a great score for a great game. Leave it at that.

This game can't come soon enough ... though my backlog might argue otherwise. Do we have a good time to complete (all stars) estimate yet? I know that much earlier in the thread, some were tossing around 20 hrs. For those in the know, does that seem about right?

Penguin

I know this was covered before, but here is visual proof...

pb020005fu5.jpg

Now don't know if should wait two days or get early at NWS.

dkeane

Bebpo said:
I have about half the stars and am through about half the levels. Really just straight A++ throughout. Every star has been fun and filled with new gameplay ideas/challenges.

Only issue so far is with the camera and 99% of my camera complaints are when underwater. The camera + controls are sort of bad there and make them the least fun levels because of it. On land the camera is perfect the majority of the time.
Humans just can't handle underwater. is there any game that has fun underwater environments?

studio810 said:
Humans just can't handle underwater. is there any game that has fun underwater environments?
Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Country 2 had amazing underwater levels. I'm sure there are other examples, but those two stood out.

dkeane

ratcliffja said:
Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Country 2 had amazing underwater levels. I'm sure there are other examples, but those two stood out.
True, this subject could have a whole thread. Goes to search function.......

phalestine

aka iby.h
Penguin said:

same here, I can get it monday, or tuesday with a 25 giftcard, I waited a while, I think a day I can do.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I really hope NWS has this early They will definitely have it Monday though right?

Krowley

studio810 said:
True, this subject could have a whole thread. Goes to search function.......

Sonic games have underwater levels that are pretty awesome (the whole mechanic with the air bubbles, and the awesome music that plays when you are about to drown)... And more on topic, I like mario 64's underwater stuff, even though it's not perfect.

effzee

i just realized how silly it is that one of the most influential and iconic figures in videgame history is a plumber.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
studio810 said:

Hmm... maybe an unexpected response but I liked going underwater in GoW. It has good controls there, you get a boost button and you can stay underwater as long as you like. Those factors combined make for an okay water experience. Not exactly 'fun', but it gets the job done.

You can't complain about water levels unless you played the abysmal one in Primal for the PS2. The game in itself isn't exactly a prize winner to begin with (the only PS2 game I ever sold, what a contrast compared to Cambridge Studios underrated Ghost Hunter), but that one water level is terrible and the worst one I've played. All other water stuff in games instantly feels better after that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Bebpo said:

The underwater controls and camera definitely suck in comparison to the ground controls. Its the worst when you are swimming with the turtle shell. Something just feels really wrong when using the turtle shell to me.

In fact, in comparison to previous Mario games the camera does seem to be kind of a problem (albeit a small one). A lot of the time it feels like the camera is pulled out too far and it is hard to get a sense of perspective when performing jumps etc... I wish they gave the player a little bit more freedom in regards to the camera.

Its not like the camera is bad or anything, it just has room for improvement.

Link Man

Banned
studio810 said:
Majora's Mask had the BEST D*** UNDERWATER GAMEPLAY EVER! (with the Zora mask, of course)

EktorPR

LinkAMN said:
Majora's Mask had the BEST D*** UNDERWATER GAMEPLAY EVER! (with the Zora mask, of course)

OMG yes...to cite a respected gaming mag in better times, "it's like flying a fighter jet...under water!".

pxleyes

Banned
Penguin said:

pb020005fu5.jpg

Holy shit. I don't even have a Wii yet but I may pick that up simply for the gift card.

Top Bottom