• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox 360 Game Installs thread

schlew

Here's hoping Lost Odyssey reaps the benefits of an installation.

At 23 GBs though, I might be doing it one disc at a time, then deleting it once I'm through.

That's the only game in my entire library that I feel takes far too long to load. Everything else ain't so bad (although, Orange Box is a likely candidate).

Unfortunately, this also proved that I need to upgrade my 20GB harddrive. Ridiculously overpriced contraption, here I come.

sankao

Z_Y said:
For fucks sake....Crackdown was the reason I was looking forward to the install feature. The game makes my drive sound like a servo bot walking into a bug light.

But it had no load time or pop-up even when cruising at incredible speed. This game must have an incredible streaming technology to begin with.

xbhaskarx

- Fallout 3 (5.9 GB)
- Rock Band (6.3 GB)

Any benefits for Fallout 3?
Also, I see Rock Band on the list, but where is Rock Band 2?

Edit:
Rock Band 2.........................[6.3GB]
Also, Rock Band is 5.2GB, not 6.3 GB.

MrHicks

Banned
do you still have to change discs with a multi disc game?
or does it need verification from one disc to know you got the game and thats it?

soldat7

sankao said:
But it had no load time or pop-up even when cruising at incredible speed. This game must have an incredible streaming technology to begin with.

It's the journey
3 hours
from "Insert Disc" to "Choose Your Agent" that we were all hoping was reduced.

soldat7 said:
It's the journey
3 hours
from "Insert Disc" to "Choose Your Agent" that we were all hoping was reduced.

And the noise. Even if load times for a game are flat, i'd still rather have it installed.

burgerdog

a Master Ninja said:
Do you have a save that would make it easy to test if the loading between areas in the Hayabusa Village still occur?

I just went through the entirety of stage 2 and there was absolutely NO MID-LEVELING LOADING at all.

sankao

_leech_ said:
And the noise. Even if load times for a game are flat, i'd still rather have it installed.

I'm not saying it didn't need an installation. Just saying that considering that the game didn't rely on loading screens, or pop-in, it must be tightly tied to the transfer speed of the DVD.
</armchair engineering>

Susurrus

I thin its safe to say most people won't be installing LO all at once.

And NOBODY will that owns the 20gb hdd...cuz you can't!!! :lol :lol :lol

mysticstylez said:
I call bullshit on that, Xbox quality textures, a city smaller than Vice City, and extremely small amount of variety in dialogue cannot equal 6.7 gb.

It is probably loaded with a dummy file. I'm curious if one will be able to use the transfer kit in tandem with a PC to trim down whatever the image format is (assuming it doesn't break the install).

Ramenman

Sean said:
With the "New Xbox Experience" dashboard update releasing officially next week (many here already have it) I thought it'd be a good idea to have a dedicated thread to discuss everything related to the game installs feature. In here we will catalog the size of each game install, how much it benefits from being installed, warn if there's any issues with it while playing off the hard drive, list which games aren't supported for installs, post cheap deals on bigger hard drives, etc.

Awesome thread, it will stop me from asking "how much space does it take" everytime I want to install a game.

And yeah, my 20gb HDD suddenly feels small :(

Edit: lolz : burnout revenge takes 1g more that paradise.

Speaking of paradise, i'm totally going to install that one if it reduces the time to get to the menu screen. It takes a looot too much.

a Master Ninja said:

Um I gotta say my Lost Odyssey does not take that long to load any battles. It's far closer to the speed he is getting from the HDD for me from Disc. It has been a while since I played though. But I'll load it up later to confirm. Oh and I have a drive that sounds like a plane taking off.

Project Gotham Racing 4 has an audio glitch when installed to HDD. Essentially the audio crackles/pops repeatedly when playing, whether with or without music.

I'd love to hear a detailed account for Sonic The Hedgehog 2006.

Someone told me that it actually runs worse than it did from the disc, and I need some confirmation. Prefferebly with a youtube vid. Thanks.

Seriously ...I've really considered either renting or picking up Lost Odyssey again just for the increase in game speed.

As a hole I loved the combat, the music and the 1st disc

Sean

Banned
AgentOtaku said:
Project Gotham Racing 4 has an audio glitch when installed to HDD. Essentially the audio crackles/pops repeatedly when playing, whether with or without music.

Thanks, added to OP. But do you think there's a possibility it might just be your disc (scratched) or something? Cause Eurogamer did a comparison of PGR4 loading times and didn't mention any audio popping at all. maybe try re-installing it?

Sean said:
Thanks, added to OP. But do you think there's a possibility it might just be your disc (scratched) or something? Cause Eurogamer did a comparison of PGR4 loading times and didn't mention any audio popping at all. maybe try re-installing it?

I was going to try and reinstall ...sure is hell isn't the disc as it's mint. But another GAFFer reported the same issue ...I'll try again though

I think Eurogamer didn't even play it, just tested the loadtimes and moved on

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
mysticstylez said:
I call bullshit on that, Xbox quality textures, a city smaller than Vice City, and extremely small amount of variety in dialogue cannot equal 6.7 gb.

IIRC the PS3 version installs 2-3GB.

Sectus

mysticstylez said:
If the PC version is any indication...

English voice overs = 780mb
Music = 500mb
Map data = 2.5gb
FMVs = 1.1gb
Other stuff = around 1gb

Sounds about right. 360 probably has voice overs for other languages as well which would increase the size some more. And you should go remind yourself of how an X-Box 1 game looks like if you think the textures in Mercs 2 look that bad :p

Brashnir

Installed several games I didn't see on the list:

Amped 3 (6.7 GB)
Chromehounds (4.2 GB)
Devil May Cry 4 (6.7 GB)
GUN (3.6 GB)
Viking:Battle for Asgard (5.9 GB)

I'm pretty excited for this. My brand spankin' new 360 sounds like a space shuttle at launch. Definitely one of my biggest irks with the system since I switched over from PS3.

Choabac

sankao said:

Occasionally the cars wouldn’t load immediately for me for me. You could see the driver hovering in mid air, but the actual car was invisible, even when you hit it. Even rarer, after loading a save, the texture and geometry from buildings would not load for several seconds.

Falagard

About Halo 3:

DLC maps on Halo 3, which are obviously installed to the hard drive, are noticeably slower to load than the built in maps which are on the DVD.

The sad thing is that people will install Halo 3 to the hard drive and then play matchmaking. The game waits for everyone to load the load the maps before a multiplayer match will start, so it will actually slow EVERYONE down instead of just the people who installed to their hard drive.

LukeSmith said:
since the data transfer from the HDD is slower than it is from the disc if the disc is spinning information to the cache.

Why would a hard disk be slower than the DVD drive? That doesn't make sense to me at all. Hard drives have faster access speeds. What should be happening is the same data is cached to the hard drive whether the game is running from the HDD or the DVD, and it sounds to me like the cache isn't working when running from the HDD.

Bungie should look into this regardless, but based on Bungie's track record they won't (love Bungie to death but they really hate touching their game code after it has been released and I understand this since it's high risk).

Brashnir

Falagard said:
About Halo 3:

DLC maps on Halo 3, which are obviously installed to the hard drive, are noticeably slower to load than the built in maps which are on the DVD.

The sad thing is that people will install Halo 3 to the hard drive and then play matchmaking. The game waits for everyone to load the load the maps before a multiplayer match will start, so it will actually slow EVERYONE down instead of just the people who installed to their hard drive.

Why would a hard disk be slower than the DVD drive? That doesn't make sense to me at all. Hard drives have faster access speeds. What should be happening is the same data is cached to the hard drive whether the game is running from the HDD or the DVD, and it sounds to me like the cache isn't working when running from the HDD.

Bungie should look into this regardless, but based on Bungie's track record they won't (love Bungie to death but they really hate touching their game code after it has been released and I understand this since it's high risk).

When it's reading from the DVD and Cache, it's pulling data from both the HDD and DVD drive. When it's installed, it's pulling only from the HDD.

moai said:
so how much does the 120gb hd retail for? really interested.
150 bucks I think.

Falagard said:
It wouldn't be... but using the DVD drive and the HDD together would be quicker than just using the DVD or the HDD on their own.

What I'd really like to see is a comparison of load times on a HDD-less 360 vs the HDD installed times. Hell, I might do it myself just to see.

YuriLowell said:
Can anyone try Gears of War 2, or Tales of Vesperia? Thanks.

Just installed Tales of Vesperia ...didn't actually get to play it though, had to go back to work. I'm sure it'll be along the lines of Blue Dragon, where fast loadtimes are only made faster ...shit I can only imagine Infinite Undiscovery ...game aside, they have a great engine there

Kujo

Falagard said:
Good point. :(

I hope Bungie take note of this and optimise HDD installs for Halo 3: Recon.

Top Bottom