• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Official Xbox Magazine: Halo 5 Confirmed for 2014?

TomShoe

Banned
$349 White Xbone, and Halo 5 releasing this year - That is the only way I see myself getting one this year.

$349 is too extreme of a price drop, I don't think Microsoft will do that. I wouldn't expect a price drop of any kind until mid-2015 at the earliest. MS is most likely going to wait and see how Titanfall and Halo perform before dropping the price at all.

I expect PS4 to stay at $399 until Xbox gives it a reason not to.

Bsigg12

Like I said in the other thread, the trailer showed Chief, a forerunner/tech thing and Cortana's lifeless chip. And immediately after the video that young women came on stage and said that halo 5 will be 1080p/60 fps. If it looks like a dog, smells like a dog and barks like one, you can't just tell me its a giraffe. They wanted people to think it was Halo 5 to try and gain sales that holiday season.

My attitude would be very different if they just released a Haloish video and said that we will enjoy the halo universe again soon on next gen.

Don't you find it a little odd that Steve Downes, the voice of Master Chief, said Halo 2 Anniversary was coming this year in an interview that Microsoft asked the site to change? Also, if ntkrnl was the truth, we'll be finding out about H2A in the next 2 weeks.

Woorloog

Banned
There is nothing preventing Halo 5 being 1080p/60FPS, if they drop graphical details otherwise. Do it carefully enough and hide stuff with art and people won't have issue with that, i think.
EDIT hell, Halo 4-like graphics with high quality textures and skyboxes and bigger maps at 1080p/60fps, who'd complain?

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
They need to drop 60fps and make it 900p30fps or it's going to be a visual joke

This isn't a multiplatform game, so they can set any res/fps target they want and optimize based on that. Halo traditionally has very good art, so that could make up for any graphical shortcomings.

StuBurns

Banned
They're not dropping 60fps, it's literally the only thing we know about Halo 5, if they back down, it'll be so much worse for the perception of the platform than being 720p.

Prologue

Don't you find it a little odd that Steve Downes, the voice of Master Chief, said Halo 2 Anniversary was coming this year in an interview that Microsoft asked the site to change? Also, if ntkrnl was the truth, we'll be finding out about H2A in the next 2 weeks.

I'm fine with Halo 2 Anniversary. Just don't show that E3 video with all those little details indicating halo 5 and say that our journey will start in 2014 by releasing a remake of a Halo title. I just don't like that kind of practice, it was meant to pull holiday sales for people who thought it Halo 5 was releasing in 2014.

Bsigg12

I'm fine with Halo 2 Anniversary. Just don't show that E3 video with all those little details indicating halo 5 and say that our journey will start in 2014 by releasing a remake of a Halo title.

Halo TV series for post Halo 4 happenings?

Ape

Banned
Considering how so many people on here haven't seen anything from the game and think that 1080p/60fps can't be achieved says a lot about how bad MS has fucked up.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Considering how so many people on here haven't seen anything from the game and think that 1080p/60fps can't be achieved says a lot about how bad MS has fucked up.
It can be achieved, it depends how much they want to cut back on visual effects. It's plenty doable if they don't mind prebaked shadows and reused assets.

I guess that makes it this year then? That's kinda surprising. Maybe they can still get Halo 2A out in the summer or something and include a Halo 5 beta. Still, that'd be a lot of Halo in 1 year.

Halo 2A - July 2014
Halo 5 - November 2014
Forza Horizon 2 - December 2014
New Fable - March 2015
Killer Instinct 2 - September 2015
Gears of 4 - March 2016

That's what I'm expecting.

EBE

I guess that makes it this year then? That's kinda surprising. Maybe they can still get Halo 2A out in the summer or something and include a Halo 5 beta. Still, that'd be a lot of Halo in 1 year.

Halo 2A - July 2014
Halo 5 - November 2014
New Fable - March 2015
Gears of 4 - March 2016

what, no faith in Remedy to release QB this year? not even by 2015?
id have no problem with that lineup.

danwarb

Or how daft people are. Some multiplatform games running at a lower resolution on a weaker platform doesn't suggest anything about Halo 5. It's not going to be running on another platform.

There are 1080p/60 games on Xbone that look fine. I think 343i have said nothing about the resolution. If it is 1080/60 I'm sure it'll be the prettiest such game on the system.

Fezzan

Unconfirmed Member

Halo 2A - July 2014
Halo 5 - November 2014
New Fable - March 2015
Gears of 4 - March 2016

Two Halo games with months apart?
Meh I don't know.
Sounds like they would be at least a year apart.

El_Chino

Halo 2A - July 2014
Halo 5 - November 2014
New Fable - March 2015
Gears of 4 - March 2016

Why would they release 2 Halo games in the span of months? And it isn't really an anniversary if they don't launch it on its Anniversary month.
ntkrnl post if u r alive
He's long gone :/

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Or how daft people are. Some multiplatform games running at a lower resolution on a weaker platform doesn't suggest anything about Halo 5. It's not going to be running on another platform.

There are 1080p/60 games on Xbone that look fine. I think 343i have said nothing about the resolution. If it is 1080/60 I'm sure it'll be the prettiest such game on the system.
The only game I can think of that's 1080p60 is Forza and...it's not a looker

Deadbeat

Banned
A two year next gen halo sounds like a disaster. I bet MS is stupid enough to do it. It's not like they are against such decisions.

Ape

Banned
It can be achieved, it depends how much they want to cut back on visual effects. It's plenty doable if they don't mind prebaked shadows and reused assets.

Exactly my point. The perception is that the Xbox can't do 1080p/60fps and maintain a high visual fidelity. A few months into this gen and people are already expecting very little from the Xbox as far as true "Next Gen" graphics.

Microsoft fucked up.

StuBurns

Banned
Exactly my point. The perception is that the Xbox can't do 1080p/60fps and maintain a high visual fidelity. A few months into this gen and people are already expecting very little from the Xbox as far as true "Next Gen" graphics.

Microsoft fucked up.
The confusion comes from people referring to the 1080p/60fps deferred renderer framebuffer being bigger than the 32mb eSRAM, but not all games use deferred rendering, I don't think Halo 4 did, Reach did though.

There is nothing preventing Halo 5 being 1080p/60FPS, if they drop graphical details otherwise. Do it carefully enough and hide stuff with art and people won't have issue with that, i think.
EDIT hell, Halo 4-like graphics with high quality textures and skyboxes and bigger maps at 1080p/60fps, who'd complain?
Um yeah there is and that's the hardware complexities that Devs have with the Xb1.

FatMarshall

Neo Member
H5 this year would be disappointing to me. I'd much rather see a full H2A than what'll probably be another mediocre Halo game.

A 2-year development cycle isn't long enough anyway, no matter how big or skilled the team his. I hope ntkrnl's leak is real and that OXM cover is just a false advert (most likely the case anyway).

From a few days ago in the Halo OT

So I just read the article and it is basically nothing but rehashed info that was known to basically anybody not living under a rock. And get this, they used the Halo Bulletins as source—main source is the bulletin about the staff changes (i.e. new CD and Sparth taking over as art director) and the first glimpse at new art. The rest is about how much Halo means for Xbox, a bit about Staten working again for Microsoft and some analysis of the E3 trailer.

They could be saying this year because of the stuff we heard at E3, but for all we know it could be another halo title until officially announced.

what, no faith in Remedy to release QB this year? not even by 2015?
id have no problem with that lineup.

Completely forgot about QB. Maybe Summer 2015?

Two Halo games with months apart?
Meh I don't know.
Sounds like they would be at least a year apart.

That's why I'm confused. It's be silly to skip over Halo 2 Anniversary, but I guess they could celebrate it in 2015 instead 2014.

Top Bottom