• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OG Xbox Duke controller re-releasing for XB1 & PC Holiday 2017

molnizzle

I thought they were gonna modernize it a bit with bumpers instead of white/black?

Original garbo d-pad too? C'mon...

Arklite

How's the dpad for fighting games?

Unless they're changing it, it's atrocious for fighters. This is a cool idea for nostalgia bait, but an updated S pad with bumpers and without the screen gimmick would've made for a legit functional option rather than a niche offering that is this duke.

Duxxy3

Unless they're changing it, it's atrocious for fighters. This is a cool idea for nostalgia bait, but an updated S pad with bumpers and without the screen gimmick would've made for a legit functional option rather than a niche offering that is this duke.

So... an xbox one controller then?

The S is a fucking abomination of uncomfortable design and a straight up downgrade from the glorious perfectly grip designed Duke

nelo_inc

Can a controller be too big? Yes it can, introducing the Duke..

I still have my Duke on the Original Xbox and might buy it again, mainly for nostalgia..

Arklite

So... an xbox one controller then?

Not quite. The S is a much more bulbous shape and weighty pad, with stiffer and wider sticks. It's a notably different and palm filling feel than the more narrow and angular Xbox One pad. It's a big enough change to be a real option.

The S is a fucking abomination of uncomfortable design and a straight up downgrade from the glorious perfectly grip designed Duke

Official pads are all about hitting an ergonomic and functional sweet spot to accommodate as wide of an audience as possible, and in that sense the Duke is a big fat loser, so I'd disagree. On the other hand, I guess the Duke does make a perfect speciallty product.

ElNino

Rofl! So on the PS4 both thumbs cramp but on Xbox only your right thumb cramps?
No, only the left hand cramps when using the PS4. Not every time, but it's happened enough. Presumably, my right hand never cramps because the thumb is moving back and forth between the the stick and face buttons. When using the DS while playing a game that requires constant use of the left stick (ie, Destiny), then it seems to happen more often.

No, only the left hand cramps when using the PS4. Not every time, but it's happened enough. Presumably, my right hand never cramps because the thumb is moving back and forth between the the stick and face buttons. When using the DS while playing a game that requires constant use of the left stick (ie, Destiny), then it seems to happen more often.
PS4 my right pinky gets super uncomfortable in anything that requires heavy use of the right trigger. Rocket League being the worst.

DS3 and Duke are the only controllers I can hold for hours and just forget they are there, and for opposite reasons. DS3 I can let rest on my fingertips since its so light, and the duke I can fully grip and my hands sit perfectly.

Top Bottom