• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oh Deep Silver: Dead Island 2 culled from Steam. Cancelled? [Still Alive]

Fury451

Banned
Dying Light is the better Deep Silver published zombie action game with RPG elements and weapon modding anyways

I doubt it's cancelled; it's probably just 18+ months away and it'll be re-revealed at some point in a slightly different form.

Dying Light is the better Deep Silver published zombie action game with RPG elements and weapon modding anyways

Deep Silver had nothing to do with Dying Light. It was published by Warner and the IP owner (and developer) is Techland.

Fury451

Banned
I doubt it's cancelled; it's probably just 18+ months away and it'll be re-revealed at some point in a slightly different form.

Deep Silver had nothing to do with Dying Light. It was published by Warner and the IP owner (and developer) is Techland.

It wasn't published by deep sliver
Thanks for the correct, didn't realize that.

Well that's awkward. So Techland made a better version of their game with a different publisher? Hm.

I was pretty interested in this because Yager was involved, but since they're out now, the interest dropped. Hopefully not totally cancelled though.

Radogol

I see this confusion in every Dead Island and Dying Light thread. So, just a quick refresher:

Dead Island - developed by Techland, published and owned by Deep Silver.

Dying Light - developed and owned by Techland, published by WB.

My understanding is that Techland and Deep Silver had a falling out and that's the only reason Dying Light is not Dead Island 2.

With Dying Light and it's big ass DLC, I don't know why anyone would want DI2 to be honest. Too much time has passed, however, it still can be interesting depending on what they do with it if it ever came out.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
This is what the Dead Island franchise deserves, really. Yes, I'm still salty about that trailer.

I still don't understand why folks got upset about that. It was a CGI promotional trailer and that was it, it told a nice little story and said nothing about the game at all. To gather anything about the game from that was, quite frankly, peoples own damn fault.

I like Sumo Digital a lot, they're a great studio, so I hope they are working on Dead Island 2 still and I want to see what they are doing with the series.

Seeing how Yager Dev had a falling out with them and how Dying Light has done well enough to warrant a sequel, along with decrease in the popularity of zombie games, it seems likely that they are canning the project.

That's too bad. I enjoyed Dead Island quite a bit when it came out. It was the 1st zombie-crisis game that didn't annoy me.

But like many others, Dying Light was sooo much better.

Fishook

I am enjoying Homefront: The Revolution, for all it's flaws it not bad title. It bombed completely and because Dead Island was a surprise hit, they are just milking the franchise. Deep Silver can not longer compete with the other publishers regarding budgets and stuff, I reckon they are going to cancel it.

Unless a game get the backing of youtube & Twitch players or heavily marketed the casual market won't buy into titles no matter who good it it is. Just the sign of the times.

LQX

I hope not. Dead Island has its problems but is still a great Zombie game that has potential with future iterations.

MiguelItUp

If it's not canceled I'm sure there's a high possibility of it being completely redone. Especially at this point after everything it went through.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Nah, at any moment they can just hit up Volition to make another Saint's Row if they need money.

Just like THQ? Oh.

Deep Silver have certainly hit a rough patch. They came into a lot of early/mid way through projects post THQ and some have worked out (Saints Row) and others have clearly hit issues.

I was hoping that a DI 2 made by the guys who did Spec Ops: The Line would be decent. Alas it wasn't to be. I'm hoping Sumo Digital at least can be given the chance with DI 2 properly. Hoping for a re-reveal than a cancellation.

Zukkoyaki

Deep Silver may want to take a step back and reconsider their approach to the games business. No more trying to save clearly troubled projects and trying to make something out of nothing like they did with Escape from Dead Island and what they are currently trying to do with APB... I still can't believe they're still trying to make that a thing.

They seem to have trouble building successful partnerships for significant projects with large independent developers like Techland, Yager and perhaps seemingly Sumo Digital now as well. Hence, should probably play it safe for a little while and just leave AAA development to Volition and Dambuster (Their in-house studios) and I guess 4A, which is about the only independent studio they've had success with recently.

Volition is probably already well into development of the next Saint's Row or a new IP, maybe even both they're a huge studio, which is good because they need a proven commodity in the worst way right now. If I were running the show I would channel Dambuster's Free Radical DNA and have them development something of a spiritual successor to Timesplitters on a modest budget. Focus on old-school shooter gameplay and design philosophies and make sure to include 4-player split screen and fun, cartoonish visual style similar to the new Ratchet & Clank or Overwatch. Target a smallish but loyal and hungry fanbase much like Codemasters does.

On the publisher side, I think they have the right idea of helping to release physical editions of quality indie projects like 505 is doing with Rocket League, Payday and Asseto Corsa, and Focus Home Interactive is doing with Divinity and Vampyr from DONTNOD. Hopefully Bloodstained from Koji Igarashi delivers because Might No. 9 sure doesn't look like it is.

If Bloodstained is good and Volition hits with their next game, Deep Silver will probably be back on track.

DrArchon

It's so weird how much Deep Silver tried to make Dead Island a "thing". I never saw it as being that popular, but it got so many fucking spin-offs. Remember that weird cell shaded one? Or the MOBA?

After all the problems that DI2 has had during development, I wouldn't be surprised if they just scrapped everything. I'm sure DI2 will happen, because Deep Silver can't seem to give up on the brand, but I can't see it resembling the first version at all.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thanks for the correct, didn't realize that.

Well that's awkward. So Techland made a better version of their game with a different publisher? Hm.

I was pretty interested in this because Yager was involved, but since they're out now, the interest dropped. Hopefully not totally cancelled though.

To my understanding, Techland said they pitched Dead Island 2 as Dying Light to Deep Silver, and Deep Silver hated the ideas and didn't want that direction, so they found a new publisher instead.

Now Warner gets a 5+ million selling series, and Deep Silver has a complete trainwreck.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Oh god I remember that game, wasn't it developed by Fatshark which were the same people behind Warhammer Vermintide?

I played through that game. It's.....something special.
I really want to talk about to the story to somebody who also finished it, I have so many questions.

Radogol

To my understanding, Techland said they pitched Dead Island 2 as Dying Light to Deep Silver, and Deep Silver hated the ideas and didn't want that direction, so they found a new publisher instead.

My understanding is that the falling out was over rights ownership and profit division and it had nothing to do at all with Techland's vision for the game (which was different at the time anyway). Not really sure, though.

Minamu

They're still a live though it's not clear if they had layoffs.
I have friends who got called in from across the continent (from unrelated companies) to help with the development, and they're not there anymore. I don't think they've hired anyone new since either. Recruitment went dark after that iirc at least.

I'm shocked that some of you guys cared about this game... The Dead Island series has been little but empty promises since day one and Deep Silver is a mostly shovelware publisher.

RoKKeR

I just need Deep Silver to stay above water long enough for 4A to release their next game. That or 4A gets purchased by a different publisher.

martino

latest

I hope it is, or at least basically being remade.

The game looked like absolute trash last time we saw it.

They need to trash the goofy shit and make it more focused on survival aspects with a far more serious tone. You know, like what everyone wanted the original Dead Island to be.

Nah. The goofy shit was amazing, they shouldn't be trying to compete with Dying Light. If anything they should double-down and make it really over the top, more Who Do You Voodoo, Bitch.

Top Bottom