• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oh Deep Silver: Dead Island 2 culled from Steam. Cancelled? [Still Alive]

derFeef

So it gets a new developer and then it is cancelled or potentially rebooted? This is not fun.
Also everyone saying Dying Light makes Dead Island obsolete. Not for me, I did not enjoy the DL formula and still prefer DI to DL.

killroy87

The series still sold a ton, to straight up cancel this would be a big surprise, and a general disappointment that they clearly weren't confident to step out of Dying Lights shadow.

jesu

Jawmuncher

Don't know if there's anywhere better to put this, but Deep Silver's continued ineptitude to handle one of their premier series proper confounds and amuses me:

https://twitter.com/LewieP/status/737575619689472009

Taken from the Digital Foundry write up: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-dead-island-the-definitive-collection-face-off

I know it's remastered with new graphics,but that's pretty sad. They should've aimed at a locked 30FPS.

Besides that I doubt DI2 is cancelled.But it's probably gone through so many changes that they are more or less rebranding it. So if expect a new box art, new trailer, etc.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Unpatched version, by Techland the original devs.
Wait till release and see how it runs.

Well, today is release day. The games unlocked on Steam around two-and-a-half hours ago. For obvious reasons there was no loyalty discount in place for the console versions, though, so impressions may be hard to come by.

jesu

Well, today is release day. The games unlocked on Steam around two-and-a-half hours ago. For obvious reasons there was no loyalty discount in place for the console versions, though, so impressions may be hard to come by.

Eurogamer mention they tested the game a week before release and didn't have the day one patch for the xbox version that is running poorly.

It's worth stressing that we tested the game a week before release and before a launch day patch was available for both consoles. We have the PS4 version of Riptide running at update 1.1, while the original Dead Island on PS4 and both games on the Xbox One remain unpatched at the time of writing. The 1.1 update lists improved stability and bug fixes, so there's a possibility that performance could be improved on Xbox One with this patch installed.

LewieP

It's better than nothing if they have an early patch to improve performance, but it's baffling to me if they didn't take the time to ensure these five year old games weren't running properly before sending it to reviewers.

It's better than nothing if they have an early patch to improve performance, but it's baffling to me if they didn't take the time to ensure these five year old games weren't running properly before sending it to reviewers.

Seriously. They should have dialled down on the visual upgrades and made the whole thing run at 60fps. The Metro games did it flawlessly. The Uncharted games were significantly reworked and still ran at a rock solid 60fps. Dead Island is supposed to be their premier series, and Deep Silver need to put more fucking effort in.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I lost all interest in that game after they said that Yager was going to make a "straight" DI2 anyway. I was hoping for the Spec Ops The Line of Zombie games.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Eurogamer mention they tested the game a week before release and didn't have the day one patch for the xbox version that is running poorly.

Right, which is why I ended my post with "For obvious reasons there was no loyalty discount in place for the console versions, though, so impressions may be hard to come by."

Top Bottom