• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(OH SHIZNITS) Devil May Cry 4 confirmed multiplatform PS3/360/PC

Terrell

Dr_Cogent said:
I would say MS/360 is making this real for Konami and Square. What platform has the largest install base? The 360. Where is the money at? The 360. Turns out MS was right about releasing before Sony did.
Fixed for reality.

What platform has the largest install base in Japan? Wii. Where is the money at in Japan? Wii/DS. Where does Square Enix make about 40% of all its worldwide game sales? Japan. Which region can Square Enix not afford to gamble their marketshare and franchise mindshare on a poor-selling console? Japan.

That kinda muddles this whole principle and makes Square Enix's decision a whole lot tougher, doesn't it? I'm sorry, but going multiplatform on the 360 and PS3 STILL means that Square Enix is basically abandoning sales of FFXIII in Japan, and the amount of people I saw post the remote possibility of this seems staggering to me.

I don't know what to think of this DMC4 business... didn't expect it to quite explode in the fashion that it did, but I can see the concern about the future of the PS3 going on. So yeah... I think I need to sleep on this some more, I'm sure this thread will still be on the front page of the forum when I get home from work tomorrow evening.

Ar_

The Jason said:
he didn't mean bad for capcom, he meant capcom has done something bad

Quite the opposite imo.
Letting your customers know what they are getting for they money before they put it down is a moral duty.
Is only fair that Capcom let people interested in DMC4 know asap their hardware options, possibly before they commit the cash.

Angelus said:
Lots of whining from Sony fans('STOP THE HATE') Heck it sorta sounds like I'm in a time warp. N64 and Saturn fans know what I mean.

well there is quite alot of gloating as well, which is also kind of pathetic...but then so is getting very emotional about videogames in general.

Personally Im not surprised since it makes sense in that there is clearly a strong market for action games on the 360

peace

bud

Kittonwy said:
Oh well, should have seen the writing on the wall, can't say I'm not disappointed because I am, I would be lying if I say I'm as excited about the game now that it's going multi, kind of glad to have some first-party 3D action games to look forward to now that some of the exclusives have gone multiplatform.
Indifferent2.gif

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL X 1BLN

Brobzoid said:
can someone translate the part of the scan relating to the life gauge thingy?

My Japanese is pretty rusty, but I'll try:

Mag scan said:
If you get hit, your life bar is shortened. When your life bar is completely depleted, you die. If you get hit by stronger enemies, you will lose a greater portion of your life bar than if you get hit by a weaker enemy. In order to complete the game, it is imperative you do not get hit too often and thus drain your life bar.

Okay, not really.

Pureauthor said:
My Japanese is pretty rusty, but I'll try:

Okay, not really.

:lol :lol :lol

Knowing how Japanese "game journalists" preview/review games, I actually thought what you posted was true. :lol

This is horrible news.

I hope MGS4 doesn't jump ship.

To all the Sony-haters:

Sony had a much lighter hand than Nintendo ever did, or Microsoft will if it ever (god forbids) seizes control of the industry. At least we never had to worry about artificial murder of consoles or "hub" of the living room or a shooter "renaissance" by a competitor buying its way into the industry(Microsoft's sins) or artificial shortages, blatant censorship, pick-and-choose translation of japanese games, and price-fixing (Nintendo's sins) with Sony in charge. I don't understand this utter delight at the bricks coming Sony's way.

bud

Nightstick11 said:
This is horrible news.

To all the Sony-haters:

Sony had a much lighter hand than Nintendo ever did, or Microsoft will if it ever (god forbids) seizes control of the industry. At least we never had to worry about artificial murder of consoles or "hub" of the living room or a shooter "renaissance" by a competitor buying its way into the industry(Microsoft's sins) or artificial shortages, blatant censorship, pick-and-choose translation of japanese games, and price-fixing (Nintendo's sins) with Sony in charge. I don't understand this utter delight at the bricks coming Sony's way.

SHIII

DSN2K said:
funny I never knew so many people were interested in DMC ...
Well, thanks to the insightful folks at Capcom, DMC4 just got a whole lot more visible. It seems certain that the X360 will prove to be the most popular platform for the game, assuring the release of DMC5...just in case PS3 version sales disappoint.

Nightstick11 said:
Sony had a much lighter hand than Nintendo ever did, or Microsoft will if it ever (god forbids) seizes control of the industry. At least we never had to worry about artificial murder of consoles or "hub" of the living room or a shooter "renaissance" by a competitor buying its way into the industry(Microsoft's sins)

If we're talking shoddy console hardware, may I introduce you to the PS1 and the PS2?

'Hub' of the living room? Hello, it was Sony's claims about wanting to take over the living room that drove Microtsoft to enter this market in the first place!

Is there something bad about more shooters coming out, again?

artificial shortages, blatant censorship, pick-and-choose translation of japanese games, and price-fixing (Nintendo's sins) with Sony in charge. I don't understand this utter delight at the bricks coming Sony's way.

What artificial shortages?

Blatant censorship? You mean in NES days? Yeah, see, that was kind of because the entire console industry was in the shitter as far as NA was concerned, and no company in their right mind would want FUD spread about their systems there.

Pick-and-choose translation? Sony is just as guilty of that as Nintendo. Not to mention the stupid 'no ports unless it has 20% new content' rule on the PSP.

Price fixing? The PSP has yet to drop in price and the PS2 is still USD 129.

In conclusion, learn what you're talking about.

Mar

Nightstick11 said:

miyamoto.gif

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
What a read, may I thank the top ten posters.

Defuser 33
C- Warrior 32
mckmas8808 32
Jtyettis 31
xaosslug 30
DCharlie 26
Jirotrom 25
DarknessTear 23
Onix 23
UncleGuito 23

Nightstick11 said:
...pick-and-choose translation of japanese games, and price-fixing (Nintendo's sins) with Sony in charge.

Sorry, this still happens even with Sony. PSP price still hasn't dropped, and pick and choose translations...there's a hell lot of japanese games out there for PS1 and PS2 that will never see the light of america.

AniHawk

Nightstick11 said:
This is horrible news.

To all the Sony-haters:

44he1yr.gif

Pureauthor said:
If we're talking shoddy console hardware, may I introduce you to the PS1 and the PS2?

'Hub' of the living room? Hello, it was Sony's claims about wanting to take over the living room that drove Microtsoft to enter this market in the first place!

Is there something bad about more shooters coming out, again?

whoa whoa whoa, there, Mr. Angry Pants.

I wasn't talking about shoddy console hardware. I was talking about how Microsoft ARTIFICIALLY killed off the Xbox to jump-start the next generation, Sega style. Nintendo and Sony both squeeze as much juice out of their consoles as much as they can.

And Sony, unlike Microsoft, didn't market their consoles with half a billion dollars, bleed billions of dollars in losses, and simply buy their way into the industry by snapping up smaller developers. Microsoft will keep absorbing losses until they take our living rooms. Sony will go away if they take a pounding for two generations straight. BIG difference.

And yes, if you don't like cookie-cutter shooters, there is something bad about every developer shifting resources to produce shooters at the expense of other games.

Pureauthor said:
What artificial shortages?

Blatant censorship? You mean in NES days? Yeah, see, that was kind of because the entire console industry was in the shitter as far as NA was concerned, and no company in their right mind would want FUD spread about their systems there.

Pick-and-choose translation? Sony is just as guilty of that as Nintendo. Not to mention the stupid 'no ports unless it has 20% new content' rule on the PSP.

In conclusion, learn what you're talking about.

You should read Game Over. You have no idea what you're talking about. I love Nintendo, but they were rather harsh. 'What artificial shortages' indeed. Nintendo set a quota of cartridges they produced each month, and developers had to order these cartridges from them, thus causing an artificial shortage of games. Any 3rd-party developers who produced their own cartridges were litigated to hell. Read.

Was the videogaming industry still in the shitter in the SNES era? Do you even know what you're talking about?

You can't say something like "Sony is just as guilty of that as Nintendo in pick-and-choose translation" out of your ass and not bring up examples. I'll start. "Holy" was renamed to "Pearl" in Nintendo Final Fantasies.

Wyndstryker said:
Sorry, this still happens even with Sony. PSP price still hasn't dropped, and pick and choose translations...there's a hell lot of japanese games out there for PS1 and PS2 that will never see the light of america.

I should've clarified: I meant the Japanese-to-English translations. Nintendo breathed down developers' necks, while Sony let "shit" pass through.

Nightstick11 said:
I wasn't talking about shoddy console hardware. I was talking about how Microsoft ARTIFICIALLY killed off the Xbox to jump-start the next generation, Sega style. Nintendo and Sony both squeeze as much juice out of their consoles as much as they can.

Microsoft did that for a purely financial reason. And Sony had no reason to follow that route because they were the dominant force in the market thus far.

And Sony, unlike Microsoft, didn't market their consoles with half a billion dollars, bleed billions of dollars in losses, and simply buy their way into the industry by snapping up smaller developers. Microsoft will keep absorbing losses until they take our living rooms. Sony will go away if they take a pounding for two generations straight. BIG difference.

I missed the part where this holds any relevance whatsoever.

And yes, if you don't like cookie-cutter shooters, there is something bad about every developer shifting resources to produce shooters at the expense of other games.

Yes, I mean, games like Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyessey, Viva Pinata, Oblivion, DMC4, GTA4, Dead Rising and others won't be showing up on the X360. Wait, you mean some of those games have already been released?

You should read Game Over. You have no idea what you're talking about. I love Nintendo, but they were rather harsh. 'What artificial shortages' indeed. Nintendo set a quota of cartridges they produced each month, and developers had to order these cartridges from them, thus causing an artificial shortage of games. Any 3rd-party developers who produced their own cartridges were litigated to hell. Read.

Very well, point conceded. I assumed we were talking about hardware.

Was the videogaming industry still in the shitter in the SNES era? Do you even know what you're talking about?

We're talking about Mortal Kombat, aren't we. In which case, I'll draw your attention to the fact that Nintendo built up it's reputation as a family-friendly back in the NES (when the industry was in the shitter), and they were reluctant to give it away. And Sony simply followed Sega's style.

You can't say something like "Sony is just as guilty of that as Nintendo in pick-and-choose translation" out of your ass and not bring up examples. I'll start. "Holy" was renamed to "Pearl" in Nintendo Final Fantasies.

...Are we talking 'translation' as in 'localizing the game' or changing names around? Because if it's the latter, I hardly see why anyone should care.

Pureauthor said:
Microsoft did that for a purely financial reason. And Sony had no reason to follow that route because they were the dominant force in the market thus far.

So Microsoft pulled a Sega on its Xbox fans, and you condone this? It's not like the Xbox was dying out there. What is it about artificially shortening a console's life that you like enough to defend it?

Pureauthor said:
I missed the part where this holds any relevance whatsoever.

You were screeching about how Microsoft's hub strategy is the exact same as Sony's. I was pointing out the rather obvious fact that Microsoft is willing to absorb their losses until they capture the living room, while Sony is in no position to lose 4+billion dollars in their bid.

Pureauthor said:
Yes, I mean, games like Mass Effect, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyessey, Viva Pinata, Oblivion, DMC4, GTA4, Dead Rising and others won't be showing up on the X360. Wait, you mean some of those games have already been released?

What the hell are you talking about? Hint: we're talking about shooters. Super-hint: We're not exclusively talking about the X360.

Pureauthor said:
We're talking about Mortal Kombat, aren't we. In which case, I'll draw your attention to the fact that Nintendo built up it's reputation as a family-friendly back in the NES (when the industry was in the shitter), and they were reluctant to give it away. And Sony simply followed Sega's style.

um, the NES revived the industry and nintendo's domination is one that will never be matched again, so I don't know why you keep calling it "the shitter". And family-friendly reputation or not, this doesn't really refute my original point that Sony was less big on censorship than Nintendo when Nintendo (or Yamauchi, rather) was king.

Pureauthor said:
...Are we talking 'translation' as in 'localizing the game' or changing names around? Because if it's the latter, I hardly see why anyone should care.

You seem to have a grudge against Sony, but surely you don't want a nanny-corporation judging whether sexual or religious innuendo may 'offend' you.

Shompola

Banned
Nightstick11 said:
This is horrible news.

To all the Sony-haters:

Its melodramatic posts like this that makes this forum so interesting :D

Sheesh, I'm just saying Sony has been a benevolent tyrant, and they have done much good for our hobby, so I don't understand this gleeful delight at their hard times. That is all.

Pug

Bloody hell people need to get a grip. Games going multiuplatform have nothing to do with MS nor SONY and everything to do with developers try to recover massive next gen costs. No matter which console was selling more it was always on the cards that games were going multiplatform this gen.

Jesus christ, you would've thought Sony had demanded first-born children or something. So their sin was a little arrogance and a high price? -_-

Shompola

Banned
Nightstick11 said:
Jesus christ, you would've thought Sony had demanded first-born children or something. So their sin was a little arrogance and a high price? -_-

Says the guy who almost fainted when he heard about DMC 4 going multiplatform :D

Nightstick11 said:
So Microsoft pulled a Sega on its Xbox fans, and you condone this? It's not like the Xbox was dying out there. What is it about artificially shortening a console's life that you like enough to defend it?

No, but the XBox was a black hole of money. If Sony or Nintendo were in the position of overseeing the XBox, you can get your britches they'd pull the plug on that thing too.

You were screeching about how Microsoft's hub strategy is the exact same as Sony's. I was pointing out the rather obvious fact that Microsoft is willing to absorb their losses until they capture the living room, while Sony is in no position to lose 4+billion dollars in their bid.

You were the one claiming that this was a bad thing in the first place. I repeat, how is this relevant to me as a gamer? Not to mention that I didn't say Sony and MS were doing the same thing, I said it was Sony's claims about the living room hub that caused MS to 'jump in' in the first place.

What the hell are you talking about? Hint: we're talking about shooters. Super-hint: We're not exclusively talking about the X360.

You were moaning about shooters getting too much attention from game devs. I just showed a bunch of games that weren't shooters, all of which were for the 'shooter console' of the generation, to disprove your point. That's what I was talking about.

um, the NES revived the industry and nintendo's domination is one that will never be matched again, so I don't know why you keep calling it "the shitter". And family-friendly reputation or not, this doesn't really refute my original point that Sony was less big on censorship than Nintendo when Nintendo (or Yamauchi, rather) was king.

Correct. Because Sony decided to aim for the 'edgey and cool' image that Sega had, as opposed to Nintendo's 'family friendly' image.

You seem to have a grudge against Sony, but surely you don't want a nanny-corporation judging whether sexual or religious innuendo may 'offend' you.

They can judge all they like or not. I care about whether the game is fun to play. If they want to call it Pearl, call it Pearl. What do I care?

And I dunno whether or not you'd call it a 'grudge', but you're right in saying that I'm extremely disappointed and displeased with Sony. Of all people, they should have known better than to try to pull the shit they did with the PS3. After all, they inherited the reins from Nintendo, whose hubris led to their downfall. All they had to do was release the Playstation 2 again, and I'd have gladly bought it.

They screwed up. Plain and simple.

This is a hit and run post, but Nightstick, the "nanny" Nintendo you are talking about is more than ten years old. Of all the BMX XXXs, the Gamecube one was the least censored and the PS2 one was the most censored. The N64 Conker was less censored than the Xbox one. I mean, if I wanted to, I could support the claim that Sony makes shitty games by only talking about Sony Imagesoft's NES and SNES output, but that would be sort of flying in the face of common sense, wouldn't it?

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Nightstick11 said:
This is horrible news.

To all the Sony-haters:

Were you crying?

Nightstick11 said:
This is horrible news.

To all the Sony-haters:

Great post. I completely agree.

Top Bottom