• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Oha Suta Reveals New Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon Trailer

spad3

Hmm..Poke-ride Solgaleo and Lunala? It could infer that we can go to Ultra Space at-will?

Or another fast-travel mechanic akin to the Lati-twins in ORAS.

Looks dope as hell either way, can't wait!

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
It seems the strange area you're walking through might be an "Ultra Space City", as you can see sign posts.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
And let me guess, just like the new Mega Evolutions of ORAS, they're not going to patch them into the original Sun and Moon.

I think that's a really crappy thing to not even have all the games in the same generation be 100% compatible with each other.
they never did that with deoxys, shaymin, giratina, etc.

Referring to their forms btw.

I'm finally beginning to experience actual excitement for this game.

As expected it looks like you'll be exploring Ultra Space similar to the Distortion World.

True Fire

And let me guess, just like the new Mega Evolutions of ORAS, they're not going to patch them into the original Sun and Moon.

I think that's a really crappy thing to not even have all the games in the same generation be 100% compatible with each other.

I mean, that’s been par the course for decades. And it’s not like Sun and Moon even have a national dex for continuitity.

This is really starting to look like the game Sun/Moon should have been. I expect the original games to have no redeeming features by the end.

This is really starting to look like the game Sun/Moon should have been. I expect the original games to have no redeeming features by the end.

Yeah, many aspects of SM felt rushed. The part that stands out the most to me is the fishing village chief on Poni Island that just uses a normal NPC veteran model. That role felt so out of place, and in USM he's replaced by Mina, who also has her own trial now.

Brewster123

Neo Member

So basically like every third version... All of the duos (Red/Blue, Gold/Silver, etc) except for maybe Ruby/Sapphire felt incomplete to me, especially the Gen 1 and Gen 4 duos.

wmlk

I'm all for higher production values used to tell an interesting and engaging plot, but I have 0 confidence that this is going to be an interesting and engaging plot. With the original SM, they put more focus on a story that really wasn't very interesting. If it's the same here but amplified, it's not going to very appealing to me. It's exactly what I expect, though.

With something like B2W2, there really wasn't any additional focus put on the story, but what was there was spruced up and there was a ridiculous amount of content, polish, and quality of life features that made those games great. I hope there's more of that here.

Mr-Joker

Banned
I don't think that we will be getting new Alolan form as in Sun and Moon they only existed because of gen 1 pandering that plagued the series 20th anniversary.

I'm all for higher production values used to tell an interesting and engaging plot, but I have 0 confidence that this is going to be an interesting and engaging plot. With the original SM, they put more focus on a story that really wasn't very interesting. If it's the same here but amplified, it's not going to very appealing to me. It's exactly what I expect, though.

With something like B2W2, there really wasn't any additional focus put on the story, but what was there was spruced up and there was a ridiculous amount of content + quality of life features that made those games great. I hope there's more of that here.

Well one of the complaint that I had with Sun and Moon was that Trainer seemed to be pretty sparse and they all seemed to only use 2 Pokémon.

Hau was also affected by this as when the player arrive at Paniola Town he still only had two Pokémon on him.

In Ultra Sun and Moon that doesn't seem to be the case as Hau now has 4 Pokémon in Paniola Town so we can only assume that trainers of Alola have also undergone some changes.

Kenai

I am not super hyped for this game yet but Emerald/Platinum were some of the best in the series and S/M is a stronger foundation to work with than 3rd/4th gen. If it delivers on par with B2/W2 I'll be happy, OR/US not as much but I would deal.

Kyzer

Banned
I wonder if the sideshow/minigame/contest stuff in this game was developed into the story / traversal

Mind=Blown

For the first time I actually can't wait to play these games for the story. I loved the story and characters in SM. Can't wait to see how the relationship between the protag and Lily develops in this alternate story. I loved how she essentially tagged along throughout your journey through victory road and the final stretch of the game. It was the budding of a really innocent romance. Also hope edgelord/tsundere Gladion gets more screen time in this game as well. IMO he was much more interesting than Hau as the main rival character.

And Lusamine. Where to begin with Lusamine? She seems a bit more sane now. Hope to see a lot more of her backstory as well.

Overall these remakes have me stoked. They are Pokemon games after all. The gameplay will be amazing as usual.

That trailer was pretty rad.

A few notes:

Few rough translations.
At the beginning, Kukui says that in the ancient times when Alola was covered in darkness, people and Pokemon used the light to rid of it.

Zionia, the new bad guy, is guessing that Necrozma is going to steal the light of Alola.

Lusamine is telling people to escape and that it (guessing Necrozma) is a monster. FACE TURN.

The slogan is something like "This is not the Alola you know." Wait, a place that's not Alola.... SINNOH. SINNOH CONFIRMED

I swear that has to be the greatest face turn in history. I'm marking the f**k out right now.

I'm assuming that the slogan is more referring to the new ultra space area as opposed to Sinnoh. Although I'd not be opposed to a Sinnoh remake at all, I hope that it's on the Switch. Those games released only a generation earlier on the DS.

Atheerios

I swear that has to be the greatest face turn in history. I'm marking the f**k out right now.

I'm assuming that the slogan is more referring to the new ultra space area as opposed to Sinnoh. Although I'd not be opposed to a Sinnoh remake at all, I hope that it's on the Switch. Those games released only a generation earlier on the DS.
He was joking about Sinnoh lol

Giga Man

If Lusamine isn't a boss Pokemon this time, I'm-a riot!

If they're changing the endgame completely, then nevermind.

I dont know the new Team and Necrozma stuff, it's not really exciting me. I really hope that two Ultra Beasts isn't it.

Okay, I figured out why this is bothering me. They did that Tapu Koko vs UB-02 cutscene last game and cut away, and it was freaking lame. I feel like they're going to do the exact same thing here and cut away each time. Guzzlord being in the desert next to Tapu Bulu's shrine says it all.

But! I really do like the story focus and the apparent increase in cutscenes.

bXr3BZZ.png

Part of the decline of the series.

Shut up, get out of my way, and let me do what I want, games. I'll listen to your characters and save your world at my own pace, but I'll resent doing it if you demand that I do it at every 3 steps.

emperor_ing

Neo Member
Yeah this trailer is good. A lot of people have been asking how different are these to S&M and it gives quite a bit of info on that front. I'm interested in the new team and all these new scenes with Necrozma. And actually getting to travel through the ultra wormhole as a ride Pokémon feature is cool.

I feel the closer it gets to release the more I'm looking forward to and feeling ready for these.

Trailer was great. Personally I liked the direction the story went in S/M. I only ask that there's an option to skip cutscenes because they are not cute on second, third replays.

bXr3BZZ.png

Shut up, get out of my way, and let me do what I want, games. I'll listen to your characters and save your world at my own pace, but I'll resent doing it if you demand that I do it at every 3 steps.
Screw that. Give me my story. It's why HG/SS is better than G/S. Cause it has more story.

Your decline is my rise.

Madao

they're not making a good job at hyping up this pair of games.

it feels like we still know nothing about what's different and what's the same. also, they're somehow making the idea of a definitive version (which all 3rd versions have been so far) seem bad.

but at least SM get a chance to get better. they didn't get tossed under the bus like XY, which was one of the pairs that most needed their 3rd version.

wmlk

Screw that. Give me my story. It's why HG/SS is better than G/S. Cause it has more story.

Your decline is my rise.

...where was the additional story for HGSS that GSC didn't have?

The best part was locked behind an event.\

EDIT: You mean the Ho-oh/Lugia battle? That can't be it right? That's like no "story" lol, just linearity.

lupinko

I have the double pack reserved at the local Pokémon center and another double pack with the steelcase reserved at amazon.com in addition to the Eshop copies I'm planning on getting. So I'm getting ready for this for sure.

GoldStarz

Just so we're clear, we're saying the game on the Game Boy Color that manage to cram both Kanto and Johto on the cartridge is incomplete.

Your expectations might be off.

There's a saying "Just because you can do it, doesn't mean you should."

Adding Kanto into G/S made Johto feel empty and Kanto feel barren.There's basically nothing to do in Kanto. Like you've got the gyms, sure, but there's no real framing around it, you're basically just doing 8 dungeons in a row followed by a hike through a new area which despite being so late in the game that there's no reason for you to catch anything, is filled with new Pokemon, and face the True Final Boss who's really only difficult because he's overlevelled. They added some stuff in HGSS to help make it a bit less terrible, but even there for the most part, there needed to be more to do there to justify having it.

MicH

Just so we're clear, we're saying the game on the Game Boy Color that manage to cram both Kanto and Johto on the cartridge is incomplete.

Your expectations might be off.
Yes, that's what I'm saying. Forcing two regions into one game came at the expense of the regions. Johto I'd NY far the smallest region and the level curve is completely fucked. And Kanto is even worse! It's a mere shell of its former self.

bXr3BZZ.png

Amen to that. The hand-holding and nonstop useless chatter have gotten way out of control.

Top Bottom